Crystal Refund Roll Call

SusieQft

FWIW, this is the guidance received from HAL. It doesn't alter how/when/why Crystal is processing its refunds, but it may help to ease the anxiety/frustration of those anticipating refunds from Crystal if a much larger operation than Crystal is also experiencing challenges processing their refunds.

Rob

"As previously announced, Holland America Line extended its pause of global cruise operations and cancelled all Alaska, Europe and Canada/New England cruises for 2020. In addition, Amsterdam will not operate the 79-day Grand Africa Voyage. Please note: Refunds are being processed by sailing date of the cancelled voyages with the earliest departures being refunded first. We ask for your continued patience in affording us the time to work through the refunds properly. Because we are not able to use our usual automated process, our team is manually handling a large volume of requests while working from home. 

As always, we thank you for your understanding and hope you and your loved ones are staying healthy and safe. 

Should you have any questions, please call your travel advisor or contact us at the appropriate office."

1 hour ago, ryndam said:

FWIW, this is the guidance received from HAL. It doesn't alter how/when/why Crystal is processing its refunds, but it may help to ease the anxiety/frustration of those anticipating refunds from Crystal if a much larger operation than Crystal is also experiencing challenges processing their refunds.

That is corporate BS from HAL.

Seabourn is part of HAL group and I am still waiting for refund of taxes and air fare changes from SB cruise 3/8 cancelled on 2/27.

Obviously HAL is not following its guidelines or else I would have received my refunds a long time ago.

Not sure if Crystal is doing any better.

I understand the slowness of the refund process .  Using the sail date of the cruise to prioritize is ludicrous .  Would that  mean the two cancellations/refunds I requested mid March for 2022 cruises could be pushed out two years?  Perhaps this applies for cruises cancelled by the line ?   If Crystal is using this method , it will be the end of a twenty year, many cruise relationship. 😡

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

That is corporate BS from HAL.

Seabourn is part of HAL group and I am still waiting for refund of taxes and air fare changes from SB cruise 3/8 cancelled on 2/27.

Obviously HAL is not following its guidelines or else I would have received my refunds a long time ago.

Not sure if Crystal is doing any better.

Actually Seabourn and HAL are part of Carnival Corp. While they most likely share some back office functions via Carnival Corp, each is a separate entity. Not sure why HAL's refund performance would have anything to do with Seabourn's.

1 minute ago, Roland4 said:

Actually Seabourn and HAL are part of Carnival Corp. While they most likely share some back office functions via Carnival Corp, each is a separate entity. Not sure why HAL's refund performance would have anything to do with Seabourn's.

Because sometimes my emails to SB return with HAL email address.

2 hours ago, TUCKERTOOTS said:

I understand the slowness of the refund process .  Using the sail date of the cruise to prioritize is ludicrous .  Would that  mean the two cancellations/refunds I requested mid March for 2022 cruises could be pushed out two years?  Perhaps this applies for cruises cancelled by the line ?   If Crystal is using this method , it will be the end of a twenty year, many cruise relationship. 😡

I can't speak for Crystal, and it is hard to tell what system they are using to prioritize refunds, if any.  Looking at the spreadsheet, it does not seem that they are going in the order of sail date OR cancellation date.

Just as a comparison, Regent is (for the most part) going in order of sail date for sailings cancelled by Regent, and they are now refunding fairly quickly for customer initiated cancellations as they come in.  The refunds for customer cancellations seem to be coming in sooner after cancellation than the Regent initiated cancellations.  A similar spreadsheet of Regent refunds supports these conclusions.  They don't have a 25/75 deal, so the only cancellations getting a full refund are those that Regent cancelled except for a very few who had paid in full and then cancelled before penalty dates.  Initially, they did develop a backlog of refunds for customer canceled cruises, but since their financing came in it has been much faster, and they finally seem to be almost fully caught up on the older ones as well.  Regent is doing a much better job than Crystal in both categories, at least among CC users reporting their information.

Regent was doing a horrible job with refunds until they got some additional financing, and now they are doing pretty well.   People are still complaining about it on the Regent forum, but they have it very good compared with Crystal customers.  I think the additional financing is what made the difference.  We can only guess what Crystal's financial situation is like.

• Like 2

My cancelled cruise with Seabourn was for November and I cancelled on March 23 IIRC and received a refund back to my credit card 3-4 weeks ago so that just blows the refund by sailing date out of the water.  I had two other cruises deposited for October and December which were already refunded by Celebrity and NCL.  My Crystal cruise, which was the earliest, has not been refunded.

• Like 1

Some cruise lines (Regent for example) are handling refund for sailings cancelled by the cruise line differently than customer cancelled sailings.  If you had cancelled a November Regent cruise in March, they would be going by the date you cancelled, not by sail date.  Cruises cancelled by Regent are going by sail date.

I wish I knew what Crystal is doing.  

Edited by SusieQft

22 hours ago, Paulchili said:

I am late to this discussion and have read only the last page and that seems enough to know how poorly Crystal is doing. We cancelled our Jan cruise on 4/21 and were told it would take 90 days to get the refund.

Hey Paulchili, fancy meeting you here!  I guess both of us are members of the same lending clubs.  I'd normally add LOL but it isn't funny.

1 hour ago, MightyQuinn said:

Hey Paulchili, fancy meeting you here!  I guess both of us are members of the same lending clubs.  I'd normally add LOL but it isn't funny.

Agreed. I am charging them 18% - maybe I am too generous. What is your lending fee?

😀

I cannot help but feel that Crystal is not going to make it through this current crisis.

Not only are just about all other lines doing better in refunds but they are part of a much larger group ( NCLC, Carnival, etc) that were able to secure extra money to help them through this difficult time.

Crystal is much smaller and I am not sure if they have secured any such financing.

Disclaimer - I do not follow Crystal closely and they may have secured extra financing but I have not heard or read about it.

• Like 1

Today marks 75 days since we cancelled our September 2020 cruise on the 1st of April....just checked with our credit card company and there has been no refund posted. Starting to feel a bit silly cancelling on this day, I hope the jokes not on me🤣

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Paulchili said:

I cannot help but feel that Crystal is not going to make it through this current crisis.

Disclaimer - I do not follow Crystal closely and they may have secured extra financing but I have not heard or read about it.

Let's throw it against the wall and see if it sticks....

and on that basis you expect anyone to take you seriously?

Edited by Stickman1990

1 hour ago, Stickman1990 said:

I hope I am wrong - if for no other reason than getting my money back. I cruised on Crystal only once and was not "Crystalized" (wrote a long review if anyone is interested). I got talked into giving them another try - I wish I had resisted the urge.

Genting is a huge company but they are acting like they are not willing to part with their money.

Time will tell what cruise lines make it and in what shape and form.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stickman1990 said:

To be fair, a lot of companies in the traveling industry are not going to make it.  A few airlines already filed for BK.  One of the big 3 US airlines is rumored to file for BK in the upcoming months.  Even the Carnival, Royal Cab, Norwegian are not out of the wood yet, what make you think Crystal is safe?  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, kent9xxx1 said:

Even the Carnival, Royal Cab, Norwegian are not out of the wood yet, what make you think Crystal is safe?  

I’m not the one suggesting they’ll fail or survive...

I think it’s too early to tell who will survive, and in what form - but those that do will be carrying a lot of debt which is going to impact them for a long time to come 

The refund I was expecting from Crystal was posted to my credit card on the 11th June. I don't know how long it will be before the CC company make it available to me, but it is definite progress. FYI it was posted at 90 days according to Crystal's invoice, for an April 21st cruise which I cancelled on the 10th March. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, G2G said:

The refund I was expecting from Crystal was posted to my credit card on the 11th June. I don't know how long it will be before the CC company make it available to me, but it is definite progress. FYI it was posted at 90 days according to Crystal's invoice, for an April 21st cruise which I cancelled on the 10th March. 🙂

I realize rules are different in the UK, but if it is reporting on your credit card account, and you have a credit balance, a phone call to your card company should have them credit it back to you, either to your bank account, or by bank draft. No reason for you to wait until the card company gets around to doing it.

In the U.K. my experience is that if you do not ask for it back it just sits there as a credit for years.

if you ring them up the credit card company will (Must?)refund you. A Positive credit card Balance From a U.K. issued card  took two days to reach my bank.
I am in the process of getting a refund from AMEX, apparently very complex for them and what with coronavirus and reduced staffing , procedures, etc etc they  estimate about two weeks or so. 
I think two weeks (14 day) is the absolute limit for cruise companies, airlines etc refunds  under EU/ U.K. consumer law.

On 6/10/2020 at 4:26 PM, TER777 said:

Symphony 4/23/20

One couple reports receiving refund 6/8 and credited to their card, today, 6/10.

Pleased to report that couple #2 also got their refund along the same time frame.

• Thanks 1

On 6/8/2020 at 8:34 PM, ChansonDeLaMer said:

Success at 90 days!!!  It showed up on credit card in 3 separate  payments.  Not sure if there was a cc delay. 

Perhaps I wasn’t clear in my earlier post, but we received a refund For a fully paid cruise on day 90, June 8.

I noticed it hasn’t been entered on the spreadsheet. Thank you for the effort involved in this project. It has been helpful.  

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, ChansonDeLaMer said:

Perhaps I wasn’t clear in my earlier post, but we received a refund For a fully paid cruise on day 90, June 8.

I noticed it hasn’t been entered on the spreadsheet. Thank you for the effort involved in this project. It has been helpful.  

Thank you for the heads up.  I think I had entered yours on the wrong line (G2G, who did not have a refund then but does now) and when I found that out, I was not sure where it should have gone.  It is fixed now.