Tipping

20 minutes ago, Kimba_83 said:

Maybe you want to show me where I said that I "pulled the autograts"? Even if people do,  it is none of your business.

Thank you! it's about time somebody said this.  (The under lining is mine)

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, parrotfeathers said:

What is the reaction of servers (and others) in non tipping countries when they receive tips from the typical american?  Do they just think it is crazy or do they think we are idiots or do they appreciate it?

I've never been to Europe and was just wondering.

Tipping does exist in Europe, just not to extent it does in the USA.  A general rule of thumb is that many europeans will round up to the nearest Euro.  Some will tip more, some will not tip at all.  Servers here appreciate tips, they just don't expect or demand the amounts servers in the US do.

• Like 1

This thread is de ja vu, going round and in circles and will soon disappear up it's own A***.

Those that "stiff" will offer a multitude of convuluted reasons why they stiff.

But they will not change, whatever alternative arguments are presented

Those who give a suggested gratuity will continue to do so

But they will not change, whatever alternative arguments are presented.

Those who give a suggested gratuity, and extras, will continue to do so

But they will not change, whatever alternative arguments are presented

To conclude, to Stiff or not to Stiff, that is the question, and the answers will always remain the same.  Let's move on, as to continue to challenge a position is futile.

Edited by PORT ROYAL
Typo
  • Like 1

Just now, PORT ROYAL said:

This thread is de ja vu, going round and in circles and will soon disappear up it's own A***.

Those who give a suggested gratuity will continue to do so, whatever alternative arguments are presented

But they will not change.

Those who give a suggested gratuity, and extras, will continue to do so, whatever alternative arguments are presented

But they will not change.

To conclude, to Stiff or not to Stiff, that is the question, and the answers will always remain the same.  Let's move on, as to continue to dispute a position is futile.

What a perfect ending with a bit of Shakespeare here 😉

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, parrotfeathers said:

What is the reaction of servers (and others) in non tipping countries when they receive tips from the typical american?  Do they just think it is crazy or do they think we are idiots or do they appreciate it?

10% tip in Europe is the norm.

Some countries like Cyprus often put a 10% service charge onto food bills as do many restaurants around Europe.

In 50 years of travel I have never had anyone refuse a tip off me.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, parrotfeathers said:

I can't speak for everyone, but it usually depends on the attitude of the person. Nobody is going to be upset to receive a tip, but anyone perceived to be "flashing their money around" and expecting better treatment as a result is generally looked down upon. Remember, outside of the US a tip should be given subtly and after all service has been completed. Standard custom is to pay your bill first, then leave a tip as you leave the premises. It's a reward to the server, not something you want recognition for.

In the UK, 10% in a restaurant or bar with table service would indicate that you were happy/content with the service, 15% would be saying it was fantastic. 

3 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Duh... all the foreign visitors that drive the right way.

True... Being English it is a well known fact that most "Foreigners" drive on the "right" side of the road.  In England we drive on the "correct" side of the road. 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Let's move on, as to continue to challenge a position is futile.

You have lost sight of the fact that the thread was started as a diversion to mask and virus threads. From that perspective it has served its purpose well.🙂

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, PORT ROYAL said:

True... Being English it is a well known fact that most "Foreigners" drive on the "right" side of the road.  In England we drive on the "correct" side of the road. 😉

We do that in Scotland was well.  The switch over at the Border caused issues.

1 minute ago, Dinglebert said:

We do that in Scotland was well.  The switch over at the Border caused issues.

One is aware of the many problems caused by the border between England and Foreign Countries. 😉

4 hours ago, Computer Nerd said:

Just because you can do something doesn't make it right to do it. I can also not tip in a restaurant if I want but someone is probably going to go hungry if I do (unless it was well deserved, then it's on them). So, is the service you are receiving while on board crappy enough to justify pulling the autograts or are you just cheap?

They won't go hungry @Computer Nerd because thankfully you cover my tips by the sounds of it.... Thank you! 🤭

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Dinglebert said:

I sense you may be talking out the wrong side of your face.  You drove on the left side of the side, the correct side when we colonised your country.  You decided to change no idea why, probably about the same time as you lost your sense of irony.  Driving on the left allowed people to attack correctly with their swords. 

14 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

If you folks do it the right way, why do they have to paint arrows all over the streets of London showing which way to look before crossing the street?

Only 30% of the world drives on the left...

https://www.businessinsider.com.au/which-countries-drive-on-left-2018-10

Clearly those who do are in the wrong! 

People from left hand drive countries should pay a higher daily gratuity while cruising as reparations for bucking the international norm of driving on the safe side.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

14 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

If you folks do it the right way, why do they have to paint arrows all over the streets of London showing which way to look before crossing the street?

Hasn't this become the most awesome  thread on cruise critic? 😇

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, parrotfeathers said:

I've never seen a server surprised or had one try and return a tip while in Europe.  Every credit card receipt I have signed in multiple Western European countries has a tip line. Every offer of a tip while on an MSC cruise, an Italian cruise line, cruising the Med was gladly and gratefully accepted.  This Europe is a no tip culture so I'm not tipping on a US based cruise line argument doesn't make a lick of sense to me.  

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Those who give a suggested gratuity will continue to do so

But they will not change, whatever alternative arguments are presented.

Those who give a suggested gratuity, and extras, will continue to do so

But they will not change, whatever alternative arguments are presented

To conclude, to Stiff or not to Stiff, that is the question, and the answers will always remain the same.  Let's move on, as to continue to challenge a position is futile.

Yes but isn't this thread vastly superior the dozens of refund/FCC/mask or no mask/cancellation c-virus threads that currently now pollute the board.

Edited by Tree_skier
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Dinglebert said:

Ah but 100% of the people where I am drive on the left.

Yes but we are speaking about international norms and standards on this thread so your national experience and expectations are irrelevant. 

😇

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

Yes but we are speaking about international norms and standards on this thread so your national experience and expectations are irrelevant. 

😇

Ah but Great Britain is made up of three separate national countries.  The US is just one and frankly can't cope with roundabouts.

Can't remember what any of this has to do with tipping though.

Edited by Dinglebert
remembered the point of the thread

10 minutes ago, Dinglebert said:

Ah but Great Britain is made up of three separate national countries.  The US is just one and frankly can't cope with roundabouts.

Can't remember what any of this has to do with tipping though.

I thought you were giving us "tips" on how to drive on the other side of the pond? 🙂 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Dinglebert said:

We can do roundabouts. Though I will admit that going through them on the wrong side of the road on Bermuda with a moped during Hamilton's rush hour is not something to be taken lightly.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2