Cruise Critic Community

3 minutes ago, mugtech said:

My wife (Filipina) likes to offer hard working single Filipino males an introduction to one of her beautiful single nieces back on Luzon.  Hard to put a $ value on that, but it does not have to be shared, is not taxable.

I’ve not seen a tip thread venture off in this direction before. 

23 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I don't think that I'll be changing my habits. I certainly don't feel  any obligation to make up lost income from a cruising the moratorium.

I don't feel an obligation exactly.  Ive just been blessed with a limited loss of income over this period and want to pay it forward, that's all.  Initially I thought it was going to be catastrophic.  That turned not to be the case, thankfully.  Years ago I worked in the service sector.  I'm probably overly appreciative of their labor.

1 minute ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

I’ve not seen a tip thread venture off in this direction before. 

Trying to establish the new normal.

33 minutes ago, Seville2Cabo said:

I’m not trying to pay their kids college, just what is fair and appropriate 

Absolutely!  It is an individual choice definitely.  I wouldn't expect anyone to anything they are not comfortable with.

33 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

That is more than fair! Do you stay in suites or regular cabins.  From reading CC it seems that most suite guests who comment of tipping threads tip a little better.  I imagine the one that don't just stay quiet.

our first 3 cruises we stayed in normal cabins. then we took a 5 day thanksgiving cruise on the independence of the seas ans we had s grand suite. then when we went on the harmony of the seas we stayed in an owners suite. as we moved to different type of cabins we increased our tipping. in 2021 we are going on the symphony of the seas, we are taking a long time friend of my wife, so we went big, we booked a 2 bedroom aqua suite, so our tipping will be way more then “normal”.

1 minute ago, RETNAVY1996 said:

Not allowed to spend ones and fives between cruises.  

8C97B859-53BC-490D-AF25-D49E89540093.jpeg

i retired from Navy in 1989

1 minute ago, jndsilver31 said:

our first 3 cruises we stayed in normal cabins. 

As opposed to abnormal cabins?

53 minutes ago, pcur said:

We tip through the onboard account, and add cash to that for some crew members.  I will also start cashing tipping to the Windjammer (whatever that may be) when we restart.

I always tip wherever I get my drinks in the evening, whether it's a CL, DL, or from the free ones on our cards.

A little off-topic:

I get almost all my groceries from Instacart, and tip extra to my hero shoppers.  Last week my order was delayed significantly, and I knew the shopper had already finished shopping.  Since there was meat and frozen products in the cart, I had to open an online chat with Instacart.  They cancelled the order, and restarted it with a new shopper.  The first shopper must have seen it through the app, and 2 minutes later the groceries were on my porch!  Double order delivered by end of day.  I told Instacart I would pay for the original if they could find out how much.  (I get instant alerts when my card is used, so I know the charge didn't go through).  Instacart wrote it off, and I got $80 in free groceries.

So, in my head I knew I had a mental $80 credit, and gave it all to the following Instacart shoppers for the next several orders, on top of what I normally tip, which is usually double or triple their measly suggested amount.

These shoppers get 100% of their tips credited immediately, so I know it was helping them NOW!

It takes a village/city/county/state/country to get us all through this.  

Great stuff!  I'm sure I have a friend whose business was forced to close.  They're only income is his wife instacart.  I had never heard of it until then.  I'm sure that your shoppers really appreciated the extra. 

1 minute ago, Ocean Boy said:

As opposed to abnormal cabins?

normal as in non-suites

29 minutes ago, taglovestocruise said:

If the ships sail half full the crew tips would be cut in half. 

This was part of my thought about why I would like to tip a little extra.

38 minutes ago, Seville2Cabo said:

I’m not trying to pay their kids college, just what is fair and appropriate 

I always take what is posted in these threads with a grain of salt.  Some are way high and some are pathetically low.  I am going to tip masks for now on 😷

33 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

What do you mean onboard account. Not familiar with that. 

Automatically charged to your cabin's account.  If you don't prepay this is how it's done.  Sometimes referred to as "auto grats" or "auto tips".

8 minutes ago, jndsilver31 said:

our first 3 cruises we stayed in normal cabins. then we took a 5 day thanksgiving cruise on the independence of the seas ans we had s grand suite. then when we went on the harmony of the seas we stayed in an owners suite. as we moved to different type of cabins we increased our tipping. in 2021 we are going on the symphony of the seas, we are taking a long time friend of my wife, so we went big, we booked a 2 bedroom aqua suite, so our tipping will be way more then “normal”.

We have our first suite booked on a 5 day on Adventure in Dec 2021. I hope that doesn't ruin me for regular cabins.  I can't afford suites if I want to cruise as much as I am currently booking. 😉 

2 minutes ago, pcur said:

Automatically charged to your cabin's account.  If you don't prepay this is how it's done.  Sometimes referred to as "auto grats" or "auto tips".

Ok. Got it. We always have prepaid tips. 

3 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

I always take what is posted in these threads with a grain of salt.  Some are way high and some are pathetically low.  I am going to tip masks for now on 😷

I would have thought that was a good idea before but masks are easily attainable and cheap where I am at the moment.  So now it seems kinda chinsy.  

6 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

Great stuff!  I'm sure I have a friend whose business was forced to close.  They're only income is his wife instacart.  I had never heard of it until then.  I'm sure that your shoppers really appreciated the extra. 

Agree.  I just posted that I always tip my Instacart shoppers way above the suggested.  Thank you wife for doing this; it's a great service to at-risk people and seniors/disabled who cannot get out.  Their usual means of getting groceries are probably not working during this pandemic.

1 minute ago, pcur said:

Agree.  I just posted that I always tip my Instacart shoppers way above the suggested.  Thank you wife for doing this; it's a great service to at-risk people and seniors/disabled who cannot get out.  Their usual means of getting groceries are probably not working during this pandemic.

Sorry I must have mistyped or not been clear.  It's not my wife its a friends wife.  His business has been shut down.  Keep up the good work.

57 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I don't think that I'll be changing my habits. I certainly don't feel  any obligation to make up lost income from a cruising moratorium.

Who are you, and what did you do with Ocean Boy from way back in 2002?  He was funny and helpful.  I miss him.

11 minutes ago, pcur said:

Who are you, and what did you do with Ocean Boy from way back in 2002?  He was funny and helpful.  I miss him.

Occasionally he still manages to break out of the chains.

Posted (edited)

I will tip the same keeping the auto gratuity in place and tipping as I go along as service is good.  I have to say that for the first time in 30yrs of cruising I wasn't compelled to tip the room steward who I have always tipped and the staff in select dining who were awful.  The bar service was above and beyond and even though we had the drink package I tipped either at the end of my stay at the bar or individually when they delivered our drinks to our lounge chair. On the last night we tipped our favorite bartender in Cafe 270.

Edited by Iamcruzin

7 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

I will tip the same keeping the auto gratuity in place and tipping as I go along as service is good.  I have to say that for the first time in 30yrs of cruising I wasn't compelled to tip the room steward who I have always tipped and the staff in select dining who were awful.  The bar service was above and beyond and even though we had the drink package I tipped either at the end of my stay at the bar or individually when they delivered our drinks to our lounge chair. On the last night we tipped our favorite bartender in Cafe 270.

Hey @Iamcruzin thanks for chiming in.  You are always an interesting poster.  I know from other posts that you have employment challenges in the midst of this.  Do you have any new cruises planned?

Just now, Tree_skier said:

Hey @Iamcruzin thanks for chiming in.  You are always an interesting poster.  I know from other posts that you have employment challenges in the midst of this.  Do you have any new cruises planned?

Unfortunately I do not. I have no idea when I will get a job. I have had phone interviews the last 3 months and have 2 actual in person interviews coming up.  One job requires six months training out of state. I can't make any plans until I get a job and find out how long it will take to accrue vacation time.  I was at my last company for 24 years and it's going to be hard to accept 2 weeks of vacation time.   I will be 60 in December and by the time I accrue more time I will be ready to retire. 

Posted (edited)

We usually tip equal to the prepaid gratuities, making each double.

Edited by WisconsinFan
correction

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

Unfortunately I do not. I have no idea when I will get a job. I have had phone interviews the last 3 months and have 2 actual in person interviews coming up.  One job requires six months training out of state. I can't make any plans until I get a job and find out how long it will take to accrue vacation time.  I was at my last company for 24 years and it's going to be hard to accept 2 weeks of vacation time.   I will be 60 in December and by the time I accrue more time I will be ready to retire. 

Well you have my prayers that you find what you are looking for and it affords you the ability to do and live the way you want to live.  6 years ago I reinvented myself completely at 48.  Thankfully I got to do for a living what I had been doing as a volunteer for 20 years.  I'm blessed and I'm thankful everyday that I'm  not locked into what tied me down for those 20 years.  At 60 change is hard but with your great attitude you will overcome.  Good thoughts coming your way!

Edited by Tree_skier