Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
stretchcruz

No cruises on Viking website in July and August

Recommended Posts

Since there are no cruises available on the Viking website in July and August I guess that they are all canceled?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Same for river cruises. Also when I try to look on my Viking journey it says my reservation is locked. I called and asked if they were cancelling but their rep said no. It will be interesting to see what’s going on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm watching Viking TV daily, checking "Tors Corner" for an update. I'm expecting an update anytime from now to the first few days of June.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When they canceled May and June (we were booked for June), there was not a long gap between when they took the cruises off the website and when they made the official announcements.

 

One evening (can't even remember the date), anticipating moving our cruise to August, I checked the website. May and June were still listed on the website.  By the next morning when I looked again May and June had disappeared. By lunch time, people were saying that they had gotten an e-mail or a call from their TA.  We moved our cruise to August in that brief window between seeing May and June missing and the official announcement.

 

It would not surprise me if we hear something tomorrow (Thursday) --based on our experience with the May/June cancellations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, t18c97 said:

Same for river cruises. Also when I try to look on my Viking journey it says my reservation is locked. I called and asked if they were cancelling but their rep said no. It will be interesting to see what’s going on.

MVJ is also locked today.  I have an Alaska cruise scheduled for July 2020.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, ElaynaB said:

MVJ is also locked today.  I have an Alaska cruise scheduled for July 2020.  

 

Yes mine too, for the July cruise - but I can still access the other cruises we have booked for December 2020 and May 2021.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, stretchcruz said:

Since there are no cruises available on the Viking website in July and August I guess that they are all canceled?

This will likely be a monthly occurrence until a vaccine or widespread testing is available. We all love crusing so much that we have a cognitive bias of wanting to believe there is some way it will be safe to cruise prior to a vaccine being available. Sadly, the record for developing a vaccine is four years. With this on the fast track and billions of dollars going into research, we hopefully will have one in a year. And then it has to be manufactured. Oh my...

 

I have an independent panel of 6 medical doctors I consult for work related COVID-19 decisions. They independently and unanimously advised us to cancel our December cruise. We and Viking are in survival mode.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We also have noticed this morning our homelands cruise booked for the end of August looks like it has been cancelled too, although very disappointed maybe for the best as do not fancy being on a cruise ship until this is all under more control - whenever that might be!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The final payment for our September cruise is due mid-June. I think we will have to transfer our deposit to a future date and hope for the best.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CHuntMD said:

New Tor's vid just came out on Viking.TV

 

https://viking.tv/episode/tors-corner-may

 

 

 

 

“In this video message to our guests Chairman Torstein Hagen shares some company updates and initiatives, including the extension of Viking’s temporary suspension of operations through August 31, 2020.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

It would not surprise me if we hear something tomorrow (Thursday) --based on our experience with the May/June cancellations.

 

You were SO right, Peregrina !!   They seem to be doing 2 months of cancellations at a time.   That means that about end of July we could get September/October cancellations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What took them so long to cancel?  Holding money, hoping that booked guests would cancel and take the 100% fcc instead of cash refund, or just trying to catch up with all the cancellations before dealing with a new rush of guests requesting refunds?  Everyone wants safety.  For years I always had a future cruise booked. It was nice to look forward to sailing. Now I am I in booked, have some fcc, and am looking forward to a cure or vaccine.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Redtravel said:

What took them so long to cancel?  Holding money, hoping that booked guests would cancel and take the 100% fcc instead of cash refund, or just trying to catch up with all the cancellations before dealing with a new rush of guests requesting refunds?  Everyone wants safety.  For years I always had a future cruise booked. It was nice to look forward to sailing. Now I am I in booked, have some fcc, and am looking forward to a cure or vaccine.  

 

As someone said, they were likely not trying to ruin/frustrate people but instead trying to "flatten the curve" and not get overwhelmed by so many cancellations at one time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, rbslos18 said:

 

I have an independent panel of 6 medical doctors I consult for work related COVID-19 decisions. They independently and unanimously advised us to cancel our December cruise. We and Viking are in survival mode.

Interesting feedback. Out of curiosity where was your cruise to take place?  I ask because I wonder if the feedback was based on travel area or more to the act of cruising. 
 

CCWineLover - I would agree with your assessment. Viking is class act. When we feel comfortable to sail again, there are multiple lines we will not consider. Viking will remain on our list with very few others m

Edited by Vineyard View

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Viking has cancelled all cruises through 8/31/20.  Our ta notified us; we opted for 100% cash refund which will take 60 days.  Viking did the right thing.  We opted for the cash because who knows when we will be able to go again?  This pandemic is not going away so soon and a vaccine is not happening for months and months.  I fear many places In the states are opening too soon.  I fully understand the anxieties, but I’m very concerned there is going to be a relapse across many areas.  
‘hopefully we’ll be able to sail away with them again in a year or two.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Vineyard View said:

Interesting feedback. Out of curiosity where was your cruise to take place?  I ask because I wonder if the feedback was based on travel area or more to the act of cruising. 

The details of the cruise were not discussed so it was not a factor. The physicians simply said “You can not go.” They could not see a way to travel safely on a ship before availability of a vaccine or widespread testing. It’s a bummer. This is our third cruise cancellation in a row after 36 without a single cancellation. I am looking for December 2021.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had our email last night cancelling our August cruise. Disappointed but expected. Hoping to rebook same cruise next year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

As expected my Viking Ocean cruise (7/26) was cancelled today. I had this same cruise booked in 2019 but was "bumped" when Viking said they were overbooked. That cruise also included airfare. As a result I was offered a certain dollar credit and a future cruise where I would be given a suite. This was then booked for late July 2020. Now I was told that when this cruise was cancelled I would be offered 125% future cruise credit but no airfare and no suite. As a result, booking the same cruise next year will cost me $9000 over and above my credit for their lowest level cabin. Not happy and not impressed .  I take 2 or more cruises a year and i think they have just lost my  future business.☹️

Edited by firstforty2012

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Suggest contacting the great people at Tellus and ask the question why they won't honour the promised upgrades.

 

tellus@vikingcruises.com

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Heidi13 said:

Suggest contacting the great people at Tellus and ask the question why they won't honour the promised upgrades.

 

tellus@vikingcruises.com

 

Just remember that they are very, very busy right now and it may take them longer than normal to get back to you. But do be patient as they are ones to talk to in a situation like this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with the Quark Expeditions Team!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...