Best travel insurance ~ why?

• We had 'Travel Insured' thru the tripinsurancestore.com for our recently cancelled trip to New Zealand.
  • I was impressed that, when it became apparent that there were mass cancellations happening, they offered to cancel and refund our premiums rather than keep our money, which several travel insurance companies seem to be doing.  
Edited by thinfool
  • Like 2

It's not a matter of which company offers the "best" travel insurance, it's which plan that each company offers that best matches YOUR needs. Heck, the plan that matches MY needs may not even be able to be sold in your state. Each state regulates each and every policy that is allowed in that state. Many people can buy GeoBlue annual trip insurance, I cannot

Each company has multiple plans. You have to ask yourself what is it that will cause the most harm that I'm not willing to risk losing. Is it my luggage? Is it the car breaks down and we miss our cruise? Is it my brothers wife's mom? If she gets hospitalized can we cancel? Is it my own medical needs. Trip Insurance is very personalized.

Myself, If I'm only taking a 7 day cruise around the Caribbean, I only get medical and Evacuation.

If I have to cancel at the last minute for some reason, I'm only out a couple of thousand. It will hurt, but will not financially devastate us. Besides, I do have some trip coverage on my credit card. If I need to cancel flights, I have elite status and any fees get waived.

On the other hand, getting sick, hospitalized, and evacuated back to the States could be financially devastating. Therefore, I get that coverage for minimal costs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, thinfool said:
  • We had 'Travel Insured' thru the tripinsurancestore.com for our recently cancelled trip to New Zealand.
  • I was impressed that, when it became apparent that there were mass cancellations happening, they offered to cancel and refund our premiums rather than keep our money, which several travel insurance companies seem to be doing.  

We had it for a trip to Ireland that was scheduled for April.  I hadn't realized that I had a credit until I was looking for insurance for my January 2021 cruise.  Steve talked me through everything, and now I don't need to pay for insurance for January, I can use my credit from my Ireland trip.  I told Steve this is why I won't use anyone else.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

There is no best travel insurance. What are you trying to insure (trip cancellation, medical, luggage,....)

Trip cancellation is usually the most expensive component by far, especially as we celebrate anniversaries of our birth.

If on Medicare, it usually covers nothing outside of the country. The supplements might cover something, but usually not evacuation.

You might consider pricing Carnival's insurance - it is a group policy (through Nationwide) so age isn't a factor. and then purchasing additional coverage should you want more. You can purchase any of the components individually (not through Carnival).

For medical only, Geoblue is great choice, IMO. You have to have primary insurance but Medicare counts and the upper tier plan covers pre-existing conditions. Anyway, something you might want to research.

Whatever you choose, no two insurance policies are going to be the same. Be sure are read them, especially looking for limitations that might have an impact on you.

20 minutes ago, coevan said:

We have used and been reimbursed with Nationwide Cruise through insuremytrip.com. 

Question concerning Nationwide Cruise, have you ever had to transfer to another cruise?  We use them all the time, however trying to get them to transfer monies paid to another cruise for next year since this years was cancelled.  Just wondering if they will do this.