Has anyone received their refund from NCL?

This is the email confirmation I received from NCL on March 23rd. It is very vague, with no mention of sail date, amount to be refunded or passengers’ names.

I’ve received no further communication from NCL other than my PCC calling me and my teenage son trying to book a cruise with the FCC that was applied to my account. 
————-

Your refund request form was submitted successfully. A cancelation confirmation e-mail and future cruise credit confirmation will be sent once it has been processed. Please allow 90 days for us to process your request. 

Norwegian Cruise Line Pre Cruise Guest Relations

• Like 1

On 5/30/2020 at 8:54 AM, klscaz said:

Citibank sent me the reply from NCL stating that I "accepted" the FCC. This really ticked me off as the FCC was applied automatically to 4200 passengers and there was no option to opt out. The refund form wasn't even available for completion until several days later. I know covid is not NCLs fault but at least be up front with your communications. I replied with the above but I'm sure that I will lose. It seems that AMEX might be a better option in the future. 

Where is the refund form, once customers can decide to refund? Does it come in an email, or is it a link on the website?

9 hours ago, Linsuesue said:

Where is the refund form, once customers can decide to refund? Does it come in an email, or is it a link on the website?

It was a link that came on an attachment to the first cancellation email. They don't make it easy on you.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Lou33 said:

I don't understand?  So you accepted the FCC, but I assume that you also applied for a refund when that was available?  

The poster never accepted the FCC. It's automatically posted to your NCL account. It was NCL told Citibank that FCC offer was accepted.

What I think happened here is that we have an inexperienced internet person that couldn't find the refund offer and was waiting for more information. Because NCL planned it that way. The refund offer had a time limit that expired hence they "accepted" the FCC. Proof that the tactics work.

Edited by Waquoit

3 hours ago, Waquoit said:

The poster never accepted the FCC. It's automatically posted to your NCL account. It was NCL told Citibank that FCC offer was accepted.

What I think happened here is that we have an inexperienced internet person that couldn't find the refund offer and was waiting for more information. Because NCL planned it that way. The refund offer had a time limit that expired hence they "accepted" the FCC. Proof that the tactics work.

I see.  So apparently NCL is counting on a situation where many people may not understand the process and they use it to their advantage.  NCL cancelled the cruise, so you would think that a refund would be automatic.  But instead they are requiring people to "opt-out" of the FCC option.  And then they give an expiration date to opt-out for a refund.  That doesn't seem legal.   Can you imagine if airlines would try this every time that they cancelled a flight?  That bird would't fly.  

Although I did an "opt-out" for a refund, I also disputed the charge with our CC as a backup.  I'm not going to wait 90 days and see if NCL actually comes through.  So I have a provisional credit for the full price of the cruise.  I have their vague email reply as proof that I requested a refund, so I better make sure that I don't lose it. 

I can't imagine that I will ever sail NCL again.  When things go well they are great.  But if there are problems they will not support you.  I had noticed that even before the COVID crisis.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Lou33 said:

Although I did an "opt-out" for a refund, I also disputed the charge with our CC as a backup.  I'm not going to wait 90 days and see if NCL actually comes through.  So I have a provisional credit for the full price of the cruise.  I have their vague email reply as proof that I requested a refund, so I better make sure that I don't lose it. 

I can't imagine that I will ever sail NCL again.  When things go well they are great.  But if there are problems they will not support you.  I had noticed that even before the COVID crisis.  

I did the same, requested a refund from NCL and the cc company. 90 days is too long to wait for a refund so I am hoping that the cc company makes my conditional credit a permanent one. I don't have high hopes based on the experience of others. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Waquoit said:

It was a link that came on an attachment to the first cancellation email. They don't make it easy on you.

I would have to agree with that! I got 3 emails in 2 days to inform me of the cancellation, information of my future cruise credits...  In the first email, there was a cancellation link. When I clicked on it, it didn’t go to an active web page. Because of that, I thought there would be another way to have to cancel. Now I realize that the link will not work until the appropriate date. Thanks for the quick response Waquoit!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Lou33 said:

NCL cancelled the cruise, so you would think that a refund would be automatic.  But instead they are requiring people to "opt-out" of the FCC option.  And then they give an expiration date to opt-out for a refund.  That doesn't seem legal.   Can you imagine if airlines would try this every time that they cancelled a flight?  That bird would't fly.  

Dept of Transportation rules require the airlines to refund your money if they cancel your flight. Without those regs, the airlines would be playing the same games as the cruise lines. And even with them, I had to have a huge fight recently with United Airlines to get my money back when they cancelled my non-stop flight to Rome and re-booked me without my consent on an absurd connecting itinerary taking nearly six hours longer (also a violation of DOT rules not to refund my money in that circumstance).  A quick Google search will tell you the airlines are doing as much as they can not to refund money.   I wouldn’t put the airlines on a pedestal, the only difference is those federal regulations.

Edited by Turtles06

Does anybody know how other cruiselines are dealing with their cancelled cruises?  Do they also require you to opt out of FCC for a refund?  How long is it taking them to process your refunds?

5 hours ago, Lou33 said:

Does anybody know how other cruiselines are dealing with their cancelled cruises?  Do they also require you to opt out of FCC for a refund?  How long is it taking them to process your refunds?

I have friends who were going on Disney in March and May (they don't know each other), and both received refunds within 30days. I also went to forum of other cruise lines, people complained slow on receiving refunds, but they did received refunds. So out of luck chose NCL.

I am on my 115th day waiting for refund. NCL will not refund you if you paid in full! They had my money since last October.  

I only learnt about CC dispute last month, and started it already waiting for the temporary credit to become permanent. 

Do not wait until your 90 days to dispute it! Caz I disputed within 90 days, and my CC dispute phone line had this automatic message in the beginning "you have 90days to start a dispute for travel that is COVID19 related". 

NCL is "smart" and sneaky.

We were booked on the NCL Pride of America Hawaiian Island 3/14/20 cruise.  Arrived in Hawaii on 3/12 and called NCL that day because we heard from our driver that all Hawaiian cruises had been cancelled, but were told by NCL that the cruise had NOT been cancelled.  Then we received an email on 3/13 from NCL informing us that our cruise had been cancelled.  We called them immediately to get a refund and were told to call back on 3/23.  Then we received a 2nd email on 3/13 telling us to fill out a refund request on 3/23.

We filled out the refund request on 3/23, received a confirmation that they had received the request on 3/24.  Still no refund (although it won't be 90 days for another 2 weeks).  Put a dispute on 2 credit cards for the charges for the cruise and the excursions.  NCL claimed to both credit cards that the charges are valid.

This will probably need to go to court.

1 minute ago, kapetan5 said:

We were booked on the NCL Pride of America Hawaiian Island 3/14/20 cruise.  Arrived in Hawaii on 3/12 and called NCL that day because we heard from our driver that all Hawaiian cruises had been cancelled, but were told by NCL that the cruise had NOT been cancelled.  Then we received an email on 3/13 from NCL informing us that our cruise had been cancelled.  We called them immediately to get a refund and were told to call back on 3/23.  Then we received a 2nd email on 3/13 telling us to fill out a refund request on 3/23.

We filled out the refund request on 3/23, received a confirmation that they had received the request on 3/24.  Still no refund (although it won't be 90 days for another 2 weeks).  Put a dispute on 2 credit cards for the charges for the cruise and the excursions.  NCL claimed to both credit cards that the charges are valid.

Was either of your cards an Amex? Seems like some people are having luck disputing the charges with Amex, and I’m still debating whether to file a dispute with them.  Like you, I filled out the refund form on 3/23.

4 hours ago, phire said:

I am on my 115th day waiting for refund. NCL will not refund you if you paid in full! They had my money since last October.  

I only learnt about CC dispute last month, and started it already waiting for the temporary credit to become permanent. 

Do not wait until your 90 days to dispute it! Caz I disputed within 90 days, and my CC dispute phone line had this automatic message in the beginning "you have 90days to start a dispute for travel that is COVID19 related". 

NCL is "smart" and sneaky.

90 days from when? The date NCL cancelled, the date you made final payment, or the scheduled date of your cruise? 

Also, do you mind telling me which type of cards? I may call Amex and see if they have a similar 90-day policy. I’m past 90 days from final payment, but coming up on 90 days is when NCL cancelled my cruise. 

5 minutes ago, kapetan5 said:

My credit card company says if merchant decline, the case will go back and forth to allow you submit evidence. Mine is a Canadian credit card (still waiting for reaponse), is yours not going to allow you to do that? 

I am at 115th day by the way, NCL is not going to refund you in 90 days.

2 minutes ago, CarolinaMamma said:

Was either of your cards an Amex? Seems like some people are having luck disputing the charges with Amex, and I’m still debating whether to file a dispute with them.  Like you, I filled out the refund form on 3/23.

No.  Cruise was on Discover Card which is still processing this.  Excursions were on Visa, which are saying they are valid.  Still fighting it out with Visa.

2 minutes ago, CarolinaMamma said:

90 days from when? The date NCL cancelled, the date you made final payment, or the scheduled date of your cruise? 

Also, do you mind telling me which type of cards? I may call Amex and see if they have a similar 90-day policy. I’m past 90 days from final payment, but coming up on 90 days is when NCL cancelled my cruise. 

Hi, I just spent 45mins calling my credit card. I won the dispute!!!! Yay!

They changed it, in the beginning of the phone message the automatic voice e said "you have 60days to dispute from the end of your travel date". It is TD Canada trust credit card, I live in Canada.

NCL discriminated Chinese and cancelled my cruise just because of that (haven't left Canada for couple of years). So my case started in February thats why I am at 115th day. When I called in April, they also stated I will get refund in 90 days.

9 hours ago, Lou33 said:

Requested refund from NCL on 3/23 for 3/22 Dawn, still nothing, requested refund from Celebrity on 3/25 for April cruise refund received on 5/6 so yes definitely feel that other lines are doing better. 

20 minutes ago, drsel said:

Is it true that if you initiate a claim on your credit card, the cruise line will ban you forever?

Nobody knows what they will do.  They can ban you, and have done so in the past, although under different circumstances.  Probably more likely if you are trying to get a refund when you are only due FCC because you cancelled.  They can also blacklist your CC so it couldn't be used on any future cruises.

1 hour ago, drsel said:

Is it true that if you initiate a claim on your credit card, the cruise line will ban you forever?

Only one way to find out.

Kidding aside, when you dispute a charge you are telling the bank that the cruise line fraudulently charged your credit card without your consent. Given that fact, banned or not, why would you want to do business in the future with any company that places a fraudulent charge on your credit card? Remember: Fool me once . . .

Not only that, but you also have to consider that once you tell your credit card company that a cruise line (or any other business) has placed a fraudulent charge on your card, then in order to protect you, your credit card issuer could very well black-list the cruise line specifically so they could never charge anything additional to your card in the future.

Welcome to the world of unintended consequences.

43 minutes ago, Capitan Obvious said:

Only one way to find out.

Kidding aside, when you dispute a charge you are telling the bank that the cruise line fraudulently charged your credit card without your consent. Given that fact, banned or not, why would you want to do business in the future with any company that places a fraudulent charge on your credit card? Remember: Fool me once . . .

Not only that, but you also have to consider that once you tell your credit card company that a cruise line (or any other business) has placed a fraudulent charge on your card, then in order to protect you, your credit card issuer could very well black-list the cruise line specifically so they could never charge anything additional to your card in the future.

Welcome to the world of unintended consequences.

Nope, two kinds of dispute, one is fraudulent duspute (usually 7 to 10 business days), the other is merchant dispute that service was not provided (can take upto 90days).

I just won mine and got all chargebacks stay permanently.  I definitely will not have business with NCL anymore, hope other cruiselines will not ban me.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, phire said:

Hi, I just spent 45mins calling my credit card. I won the dispute!!!! Yay!

They changed it, in the beginning of the phone message the automatic voice e said "you have 60days to dispute from the end of your travel date". It is TD Canada trust credit card, I live in Canada.

NCL discriminated Chinese and cancelled my cruise just because of that (haven't left Canada for couple of years). So my case started in February thats why I am at 115th day. When I called in April, they also stated I will get refund in 90 days.

I am so happy to hear you got your money back! 

• Like 1