Which ship out of Galveston?

What ship/cabin would you pick if you wanted to cruise out of Galveston next April?  Would like to do a balcony or above.  Have done all the itineraries before so that is not a factor.  Length of cruise is not a factor.  The Carnival ships are an option but they seemed really crowded last time we picked them.

Thanks in advance.

We did the Liberty of the Seas last year. Loved the slides and had a great time. Very relaxed atmosphere on the ship. Had a balcony room on Deck 6 which we love as it's down one flight of stairs to the Cafe Promenade for coffee/tea and snack!  Liberty is a big ship but not too big that it's an effort to get around or find someone.

9 minutes ago, mailmama said:

We did the Liberty of the Seas last year. Loved the slides and had a great time. Very relaxed atmosphere on the ship. Had a balcony room on Deck 6 which we love as it's down one flight of stairs to the Cafe Promenade for coffee/tea and snack!  Liberty is a big ship but not too big that it's an effort to get around or find someone.

Agree with all of the above.

The only thing I would add is that I like to stay near the forward elevators. They always seem far less crowded. The only drawback is the walk to the back of the ship for dining/sports but I found it good exercise.

Deck 6 for quick access to the Royal Promenade or Deck 9 for quick access to the pool deck are the 2 decks I usually shoot for. Lately, I like the lower decks to be close to the water while on the balcony.

To the OP - looks like you'll be on one of the first sailings after Liberty's Amplification, assuming it doesn't get cancelled.  Enjoy!  Hopefully Giovanni's is still there. That would be the one specialty restaurant I'd do.   Chops has been hit-n-miss of late, in my opinion. When it's good, its great. But when it's not.....

A friend just consulted with me because I've done Allure twice and she booked it for next year out of Galveston.   That was news to me, but I knew Royal was building a new terminal with the probable intention of locating an Oasis class here.  I've been keeping my head out of cruising for awhile.

We've been on Liberty of the Seas many times.  It's a great ship for adults and kids, took our grand kids last year and they had a blast.  We typically stay on deck 9 as it's close to the pool and Windjammer. 

8 minutes ago, BillOh said:

A friend just consulted with me because I've done Allure twice and she booked it for next year out of Galveston.   That was news to me, but I knew Royal was building a new terminal with the probable intention of locating an Oasis class here.  I've been keeping my head out of cruising for awhile.

Terminal got delayed a year, good chance Allure doesn't come untill Fall 2022

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Terminal got delayed a year, good chance Allure doesn't come untill Fall 2022

I had to go back and look at her message. She was looking at, not yet booked  for April 22.  I checked back with her and she was looking at April of 2022.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, BillOh said:

I had to go back and look at her message. She was looking at, not yet booked  for April 22.  I checked back with her and she was looking at April of 2022.

Completion isnt scheduled till fall now

Original date was November 2021.

I'm not saying it isn't happening, but the existing infrastructure is inadequate for a 6000 passenger ship

39 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Completion isnt scheduled till fall now

Original date was November 2021.

I'm not saying it isn't happening, but the existing infrastructure is inadequate for a 6000 passenger ship

Odyssey is being "considered" by RCL,

because of lesser capacity

and better match to Terminal # 2,

until Terminal # 3 is completed .  

Edited by ssb

5 hours ago, happy cruzer said:

What ship/cabin would you pick if you wanted to cruise out of Galveston next April?  Would like to do a balcony or above.  Have done all the itineraries before so that is not a factor.  Length of cruise is not a factor.  The Carnival ships are an option but they seemed really crowded last time we picked them.

Thanks in advance.

Jewel is smaller and beautiful but less to do. Jewel has a awesome sale for next feb, for some reason, but you want april.

Of course Libety is the nicer ship and will cost more. Hands down. There is a reason it costs more. 

I had libety booked this past april 26, cancelled, had a really good deal. Has the promenade which I love. 

If money didnt matter of course liberty. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ssb said:

Odyssey, that's a new guess I hadnt seen before. 

I'm booked on allure spring 2022 but will be happy with whatever ship they send. Odyssey would be nice too. Everyone has their own guess if it's coming or not on time.

2 hours ago, ssb said:

Odyssey 🤣🤣🤣

What happened to Anthem🤔

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Odyssey, that's a new guess I hadnt seen before. 

I'm booked on allure spring 2022 but will be happy with whatever ship they send. Odyssey would be nice too. Everyone has their own guess if it's coming or not on time.

Its not a guess , that another ship is being considered for Galveston by RCL .

But I did state Odyssey, when it is actually Anthem being considered .

My mistake .

Anthem has less capacity to better match up with terminal # 2 . 

I am not staying its a great match.

That's for RCL to evaluate and decide .     

Would it replace Liberty or Allure ? 

I am unaware !

That information comes written information from Roger Rees , Executive Director of Galveston Port !  

Edited by ssb
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

Right now RCI's webs site is only showing Adventure and Liberty sailing from Galveston in April, 2021. Adventure heads to Copenhagen on April 21st. Explorer shows up at the beginning of May.

This is information only about Anthem ship "consideration" , and no decision has been made yet ! 

RCL website would certainly not show it yet ! 

I'm on jewel b2b next feb. 

Yes jewel leaves sometime in april I think, depending which week the op is considering. For april liberty is the nicest ship but sure to cost more. I'll take my jewel b2b, 2 for the price of 1.

I was told we probably wouldnt get anthem as it is specially made for cold water and out of colder ports. Everyone has a guess about allure. I hope I get a nice ship is all. I'm booking another b2b for march 2022.

Looking for one more good deal to fit into my schedule. Maybe after august 1st there will be some who cancel if rcl does even a partial schedule. I'm ready to go.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

Jewel is smaller and beautiful but less to do. Jewel has a awesome sale for next feb, for some reason, but you want april.

Of course Libety is the nicer ship and will cost more. Hands down. There is a reason it costs more. 

I had libety booked this past april 26, cancelled, had a really good deal. Has the promenade which I love. 

If money didnt matter of course liberty. 

Is the Jewel Feb pricing for local residents?  I am having trouble finding the pricing, is it on the RCCL site?

We would prefer April but if the Feb pricing is much better, who knows??

Thanks.

1 hour ago, happy cruzer said:

Is the Jewel Feb pricing for local residents?  I am having trouble finding the pricing, is it on the RCCL site?

We would prefer April but if the Feb pricing is much better, who knows??

Thanks.

Yes I got it off the rcl site, though it's up some since last weeks sale that ended Tuesday.

I'm solo so I'm sure my prices arent the same as yours. But yes I got it from rcl site. I'm not only doing b2b first 2 weeks of feb, I also booked week 4, Feb 28, you have to upgrade to a d2 or d4 ... and did a lift and shift to allure of a d2 outside view balcony. The cheapest balcony was a 6d, and allure doesnt have them, so you have to upgrade to a category on allure, same itinerary and can lift and shift price to allure in 2022, though they might send another ship. Prices were so good I booked 3 lol. 

Hopefully they send a really nice ship if not allure, as I lifted and shifted the feb 28th jewel balcony to a balcony on allure. 

Edited by firefly333

For Royal to make a splash in Galveston and compete with Carnival , a larger different class ship other than Liberty needs to sail out of Galveston . Only Royal can conclude , if Allure or Anthem or another is better fit with terminal #2 until terminal #3 is complete .

After all the hype of Oasis Class Ship coming to Galveston, it would be big let down to booked Allure cruisers , for one to not come until 2022 .  Which one is the question . 

7 hours ago, ssb said:

For Royal to make a splash in Galveston and compete with Carnival , a larger different class ship other than Liberty needs to sail out of Galveston . Only Royal can conclude , if Allure or Anthem or another is better fit with terminal #2 until terminal #3 is complete .

After all the hype of Oasis Class Ship coming to Galveston, it would be big let down to booked Allure cruisers , for one to not come until 2022 .  Which one is the question . 

I've done oasis twice so have to admit I'd be disappointed if allure doesnt make it to Galveston but I'm not booked until march 2022. I'm really looking forward to it. Just trying not to get my Hope's up too high.

8 hours ago, ssb said:

There's a huge letdown playing throughout the industry right now. 😉

8 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

There's a huge letdown playing throughout the industry right now. 😉

That's true. Between rcl delaying terminal 3 for a year

Carnival mardi gras might be delayed, the ship yard building it was shut down over a month.

And Carnival Radiance supposed to come to Galveston they post the refit was scrapped. What does this mean? If it's already in dry dock and partially stripped down? Radiance does a up close in the panama locks, rcl doesnt so it's a nice iternary but seems like a big risk to pay for a newly refit ship carnival says the project is scrapped. 

And yes I'm booked on allure to add more uncertainty to my future bookings. Keeping my hopes in check. Lol and someone posted they dont think jewel can dock at coco cay. I'm thinking it can, just someone talking thru their hat.

34 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

That's true. Between rcl delaying terminal 3 for a year

Carnival mardi gras might be delayed, the ship yard building it was shut down over a month.

And Carnival Radiance supposed to come to Galveston they post the refit was scrapped. What does this mean? If it's already in dry dock and partially stripped down? Radiance does a up close in the panama locks, rcl doesnt so it's a nice iternary but seems like a big risk to pay for a newly refit ship carnival says the project is scrapped. 

And yes I'm booked on allure to add more uncertainty to my future bookings. Keeping my hopes in check. Lol and someone posted they dont think jewel can dock at coco cay. I'm thinking it can, just someone talking thru their hat.

Mardi Gras already way behind. I think they cancelled 11 cruises prior to her arrival in PC. Including a few in NYC. They do what they need to. And that was prior to Covid

I think we are going to see a very different industry next year. Individusl ships issues are a minor piece.

Jewel can dock in CC, that's crazy. 

Edited by John&LaLa