Cruise Critic Community
Butterbean1000

A Question About Potentially Canceling

We are booked on the August 29th sailing of the Breeze.  We are looking forward to it, but......If Carnival requires face masks or other restrictions  we don't want to adhere to, I wonder what their cancelation policy will be.  Others may not be ready to cruise and waiting on Carnival to cancel more cruises. Hopefully,  they will make allowances. 

If the cruise is not cancelled, then Carnival could very well adhere to the current cancellation terms as stated in the current cruise contract. It's a valid question though, and I venture to say that no one knows what the correct answer is. Soooo.....

Why don't you call Carnival and pose that question to them?  And let us know what they have to say?

Posted (edited)

I didn't see any mention of guests required to wear masks on board in this posting:

https://www.cruisehive.com/cruise-line-to-introduce-new-measures-for-return-to-service/39873

The article did mention a requirement for social distancing and that the crew would be wearing masks.  At the end of the article it stated:

Similar new procedures are expected from other cruise lines too. We already know that Carnival brands are already working with the U.S. Centers for Disease Control (CDC) to implement new rules and protocols and further announcements on this will be made soon.

Please let us know if you find out more info 🙂

Edited by ninjacat123

1 hour ago, Butterbean1000 said:

We are booked on the August 29th sailing of the Breeze.  We are looking forward to it, but......If Carnival requires face masks or other restrictions  we don't want to adhere to, I wonder what their cancelation policy will be.  Others may not be ready to cruise and waiting on Carnival to cancel more cruises. Hopefully,  they will make allowances. 

I have the same concerns.  I can handle wearing a mask to board the ship, leave the ship, and while using the elevators.  However, anything above that will really diminish my enjoyment of a cruise.  It's much too hot to wear a mask while on the open decks.  If they end up requiring passengers to wear them constantly, I would prefer the option of moving my cruise to a later date.  I'm glad I booked a balcony cabin, because there is just no way I am lounging outside wearing a mask.  I wish we knew one way or the other, but we may not find out until right before the cruise.

Unless there is some addition to the health code that cruise lines operate under (the one that keeps diapered children out of the pool), I only see masks being recommended, not mandatory.  

8 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

Unless there is some addition to the health code that cruise lines operate under (the one that keeps diapered children out of the pool), I only see masks being recommended, not mandatory.  

I hope that's the case, but here again, we don't know what we don't know.  It's to soon to tell. 

I wouldn't mind it if they simply recommend wearing a mask on the ship, but it's not required.  I do see how that can result in arguments though.  They could designate certain areas of the theater and lounges as mask only so that the people who feel very strongly about wearing a mask at all times can still enjoy the shows.  Then I could sit in the other location.  LOL.  Same for lounge areas.  They could designate some for mask only people.  If they simply say they are recommended, but not required, I can see the people who are wearing masks demand that everyone wears one.  Maybe they can have everyone sign something that acknowledges they are aware that not everyone will be wearing a mask.

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

I wouldn't mind it if they simply recommend wearing a mask on the ship, but it's not required.  I do see how that can result in arguments though.  They could designate certain areas of the theater and lounges as mask only so that the people who feel very strongly about wearing a mask at all times can still enjoy the shows.  Then I could sit in the other location.  LOL.  Same for lounge areas.  They could designate some for mask only people.  If they simply say they are recommended, but not required, I can see the people who are wearing masks demand that everyone wears one.  Maybe they can have everyone sign something that acknowledges they are aware that not everyone will be wearing a mask.

This mask thing is so fraught in stores on land that I can see it being a real issue on the cruiseship, similar to Chair saving.  I don't see any way the ship can enforce it, it will be just a recommendation;however, I can envision employees will be required to wear face masks.

With regard to chair saving I was literally threatened physical violence when a family saved nine!!! lounge chairs and not one of them were being occupied for 30 mins. There were no personal items on it so I just sat in one. 

Edited by kwokpot

7 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

This mask thing is so fraught in stores on land that I can see it being a real issue on the cruiseship, similar to Chair saving.  I don't see any way the ship can enforce it, it will be just a recommendation;however, I can envision employees will be required to wear face masks.

With regard to chair saving I was literally threatened physical violence when a family saved nine!!! lounge chairs and not one of them were being occupied for 30 mins. There were no personal items on it so I just sat in one. 

I agree, the mask issue could be a recommendation for guests.  Even when I saw a sign requiring employees and customers to wear masks at a nail salon (and I wore a mask) there was a customer without a mask. 

Sorry to hear about the chair issue. I would also think the chair was available, especially if nothing was on it.

2 hours ago, Butterbean1000 said:

If Carnival requires face masks or other restrictions  we don't want to adhere to, I wonder what their cancelation policy will be.

We are booked in September on the Breeze.  If you were booked before March 10th of this year, here is the cancellation policy: 

March 11, 2020

Dear Carnival Guest,

We continue to implement increased monitoring, screening and sanitation protocols to protect the health of our guests, crew and the residents of the destinations we serve. Our measures are designed to be flexible to adapt to changing conditions and recommended best practices. For your reference, you can read our Travel Health Advisory on Carnival.com.

Nevertheless, we know our guests have questions about their upcoming cruise and we have relaxed our cancellation policy to provide flexibility should you wish to reschedule your vacation, as well as incentives to proceed with your plans. The following applies only to guests who booked on or before March 10, 2020.

• Guests who choose to keep their booking, as currently scheduled, for departures June through September, 2020, will receive the following onboard credit (OBC) amount:
    • US$50, per cabin, for 2 – 5 day sailings
    • US$100, per cabin, for 6 day sailings and longer

If you choose to continue to sail with us, we will automatically apply your onboard credit to your Sail & Sign account. There is no need to call us. 

• You may also cancel up to 30 days prior to your scheduled departure date. Any cancellation charges will be held as a future cruise credit (FCC) to be redeemed on a cruise within one year of your original sailing*. 
    • If your reservation included Fly2Fun air, any monies paid for your air fare will be included in your FCC.  If you purchased independent air, please contact your airline carrier as they are being flexible with change fees.
    • Any pre-purchased Carnival shore excursions, specialty dining/spa or Fun Shop orders will be automatically canceled and refunds will be processed to your original form of payment by your bank within three weeks. 
    • We are experiencing higher call volume than usual and are currently focused on assisting guests sailing March and April, 2020.  We encourage you to contact your travel advisor, Carnival Personal Vacation Planner, or access “My Cruise Manager” on Carnival.com to cancel your reservation.  Any penalties will be held in your account as a FCC.  You may also get answers to Frequently Asked Questions here.

We appreciate your loyalty and look forward to welcoming you on board!

A lot of previous posts regarding masks has resulted in comments of “fear mongering”.  I didn’t comment but do feel you either trust CCL to do the right thing or you don’t.  I lean toward wearing a mask if I go in October but respect those who cancel (if it is required) or will ignore those who do cruise & break guidelines; I’m not the mask police.

Stay safe & balanced.  

I know DH and I will bring masks on our September 3, 2020 cruise.  If the masks are required in some areas, we are prepared. 

I'm wondering too what the cancellation policy will be.  I'm hoping it will be known by August, as we're scheduled to leave the Saturday after Thanksgiving.  At this point I would rather Carnival cancel it, but if they do not, I've decided I will.  I think masks in November are likely, and if anyone needs to be wearing masks, or recommended to wear masks, I would rather not go.   

20 minutes ago, TooManyWakeUpsTilWeSail said:

A lot of previous posts regarding masks has resulted in comments of “fear mongering”.  I didn’t comment but do feel you either trust CCL to do the right thing or you don’t.  I lean toward wearing a mask if I go in October but respect those who cancel (if it is required) or will ignore those who do cruise & break guidelines; I’m not the mask police.

Stay safe & balanced.  

I think the mask issue will be decided by the CDC, which all cruise lines departing from the US will have to comply with, depending on what/if the CDC orders. Based on what I have seen around Florida where I live and how the CDC has treated the cruise industry, I believe masks will be mandatory to some degree (embarkation, muster drill, shows in theaters/lounges, etc.).  Of course any kind of mask policy will likely be directly related to what capacity ships will cruise with initially. I think it is a certainty cruise lines will resume cruises with ships at less than 100% capacity, although I don’t know enough to even take a guess at what percentage will be implemented. 

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, TooManyWakeUpsTilWeSail said:

Stay safe & balanced.  

Masks only work if everyone wears them so there's not much a point if they're optional. And if mandatory, there's no way for the cruise line to enforce it.

They may have a "cruise at your own risk" waiver so there won't be any liabililty.

Edited by MsTabbyKats

2 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I think the mask issue will be decided by the CDC, which all cruise lines departing from the US will have to comply with, depending on what/if the CDC orders. Based on what I have seen around Florida where I live and how the CDC has treated the cruise industry, I believe masks will be mandatory to some degree (embarkation, muster drill, shows in theaters/lounges, etc.).  Of course any kind of mask policy will likely be directly related to what capacity ships will cruise with initially. I think it is a certainty cruise lines will resume cruises with ships at less than 100% capacity, although I don’t know enough to even take a guess at what percentage will be implemented. 

I work in a courthouse where masks are mandated unless 6 feet distance is maintained.  Believe it or not what makes me more uncomfortable is having a bailiff (yeah holstered & arms-length away) take my temperature every morning when I arrive thru a termporal scanner.  Yes, I trust this guy with my life; no, I don’t want to be 18 inches away from anyone right now.  It’s my job so I deal with it.

I accept social distancing, masks and somewhat invasive temperature scanners

as a short-term measure to get back to normal.

Some feel any adjustment at any point is unacceptable.  I adapt & hopefully make the best of things.

11 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

Masks only work if everyone wears them so there's not much a point if they're optional. And if mandatory, there's no way for the cruise line to enforce it.

They may have a "cruise at your own risk" waiver so there won't be any liabililty.

The nail salon had me sign a waiver so I bet you're correct on the "cruise at your own risk" waiver.

49 minutes ago, Lee Cruiser said:

We are booked in September on the Breeze.  If you were booked before March 10th of this year, here is the cancellation policy: 

March 11, 2020

Dear Carnival Guest,

We continue to implement increased monitoring, screening and sanitation protocols to protect the health of our guests, crew and the residents of the destinations we serve. Our measures are designed to be flexible to adapt to changing conditions and recommended best practices. For your reference, you can read our Travel Health Advisory on Carnival.com.

Nevertheless, we know our guests have questions about their upcoming cruise and we have relaxed our cancellation policy to provide flexibility should you wish to reschedule your vacation, as well as incentives to proceed with your plans. The following applies only to guests who booked on or before March 10, 2020.

• Guests who choose to keep their booking, as currently scheduled, for departures June through September, 2020, will receive the following onboard credit (OBC) amount:
    • US$50, per cabin, for 2 – 5 day sailings
    • US$100, per cabin, for 6 day sailings and longer

If you choose to continue to sail with us, we will automatically apply your onboard credit to your Sail & Sign account. There is no need to call us. 

• You may also cancel up to 30 days prior to your scheduled departure date. Any cancellation charges will be held as a future cruise credit (FCC) to be redeemed on a cruise within one year of your original sailing*. 
    • If your reservation included Fly2Fun air, any monies paid for your air fare will be included in your FCC.  If you purchased independent air, please contact your airline carrier as they are being flexible with change fees.
    • Any pre-purchased Carnival shore excursions, specialty dining/spa or Fun Shop orders will be automatically canceled and refunds will be processed to your original form of payment by your bank within three weeks. 
    • We are experiencing higher call volume than usual and are currently focused on assisting guests sailing March and April, 2020.  We encourage you to contact your travel advisor, Carnival Personal Vacation Planner, or access “My Cruise Manager” on Carnival.com to cancel your reservation.  Any penalties will be held in your account as a FCC.  You may also get answers to Frequently Asked Questions here.

We appreciate your loyalty and look forward to welcoming you on board!

We booked March 28th after our March 30th cruise was canceled.  We thought for sure that all of this would be over by then. Snag on us 1🙃

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, ninjacat123 said:

The nail salon had me sign a waiver so I bet you're correct on the "cruise at your own risk" waiver.

I got my hair trimmed this morning.  It was by appointment and they only let you in when they are ready to do your hair.  Masks are required and we have to wash our hands as soon as we walk in.  They didn't require a waiver, although I would have signed one. I have no problem with this it all.  I also wear a mask when grocery shopping, even though it's not required.  

We love the comedy shows and often have a drink while watching them.  If masks are required, I assume there will be no drinking allowed because the constant removal of masks in order to drink will defeat the purpose.  Same with everything else on the ship.  No thanks.

Anyway, the cruise I had in April was rebooked to September due to a cancellation.  I rebooked in April, so it looks like I will have to wait and see.  It's still four months away and a lot can happen in four months.

Edited by TNcruising02

Posted (edited)

I can't see much enjoyment on a cruise if you have to be masked.  If you enjoy sunbathing, swimming, the hot tubs, of course eating and drinking, I don't see how a mask figures into the equation.   And forget social distancing.  How can you have a dozen people in the pool or 4 or 5 people in a hot tub and maintain social distancing?  How can you have a 6pm MDR dining time with hundreds of others and maintain social distancing?  Or the comedy club or the piano bar?  Or the Alchemy?

My personal feeling is, and I know not everyone will agree with me...and that's ok,  if people are still so apprehensive in group settings that they feel a mask is necessary and they are fearful of being closer than 6 feet from others, maybe cruising is not a good choice for those folks at this current time.   

I won't want to wear a mask and I won't want to be fearful of others in my "space" - I will just want to enjoy my vacation.   So will have to see what rules are put into place before my October cruise and decide then.  I will gladly sign a waiver if required.

Edited by Florings

16 minutes ago, Florings said:

My personal feeling is, and I know not everyone will agree with me...and that's ok,  if people are still so apprehensive in group settings that they feel a mask is necessary and they are fearful of being closer than 6 feet from others, maybe cruising is not a good choice for those folks at this current time.

Best comment I've read on cruisecritic in months. Can't agree more. If you think you can get it....DON'T CRUISE. 

I rebooked my canceled cruise for next April.  No one knows where all this going but if masks are mandatory for cruising a year from now, I'll cancel.

Having to wear masks now to go to stores etc is unavoidable where I live and I have no choice.

Cruising is a choice and I will not cruise if I have to wear a mask on board.  My cruise is paid in full.  They can keep the money if that's the case.  I'm not doing it.

If face coverings are still required in public a year from now,  problems are greater than we know!

1 hour ago, MsTabbyKats said:

I don't really want to wade into the mask debate, so I'll just reply to this and get out.

The experts have said that homemade face coverings are primarily to protect others from the wearer, assuming he/she has the virus.  That's their point.  

Carnival can enforce any rule they care to.  Past enforcement has been either very strict or haphazard.  My guess is a mask rule would be enforced more haphazardly, but they may get the chance to prove me wrong.

I like the waiver idea and suspect Carnival will use it in some form.

2 hours ago, TooManyWakeUpsTilWeSail said:

I work in a courthouse where masks are mandated unless 6 feet distance is maintained.  Believe it or not what makes me more uncomfortable is having a bailiff (yeah holstered & arms-length away) take my temperature every morning when I arrive thru a termporal scanner.  Yes, I trust this guy with my life; no, I don’t want to be 18 inches away from anyone right now.  It’s my job so I deal with it.

I accept social distancing, masks and somewhat invasive temperature scanners

as a short-term measure to get back to normal.

Some feel any adjustment at any point is unacceptable.  I adapt & hopefully make the best of things.

I don’t wear a mask unless I have to like when going to Costco. But I would still go on a cruise even if a mask was required. Prior to this virus, I haven’t gone longer than 90 days without going on a cruise since 2015, so I look forward to cruising again no matter when cruises restart and no matter what the rules might be. Okay, no alcohol would be a showstopper for me, but I am not worried about that. 

5 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I don’t wear a mask unless I have to like when going to Costco. But I would still go on a cruise even if a mask was required. Prior to this virus, I haven’t gone longer than 90 days without going on a cruise since 2015, so I look forward to cruising again no matter when cruises restart and no matter what the rules might be. Okay, no alcohol would be a showstopper for me, but I am not worried about that. 

This is a solution...not a good solution

2020-05-28.png