Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Beachlover1989

Revolutionized Ships

Recommended Posts

I know Equinox didn't get some things done because of the crane incident, but is there a list of ships that were able to get the Revolution completed before all of this hit? TIA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Summit and Millennium M class and Silhouette S class and Equinox.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe that Silhouette is like Equinox--it got revolutionized, but not all of the work got done because the drydock work had to be quickly moved from Grand Bahama to Cadiz.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, mahdnc said:

I believe that Silhouette is like Equinox--it got revolutionized, but not all of the work got done because the drydock work had to be quickly moved from Grand Bahama to Cadiz.

 

Silhouette got everything planned.   They didn't add the new suites forward which were originally planned but were dropped months before the work began.  They had enough time even with the move to Cadiz as they cancelled the 14 night January 31 cruise to extend the dry dock enough to transit back and forth to Spain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, wrk2cruise said:

 

Silhouette got everything planned.   They didn't add the new suites forward which were originally planned but were dropped months before the work began.  They had enough time even with the move to Cadiz as they cancelled the 14 night January 31 cruise to extend the dry dock enough to transit back and forth to Spain.

Thanks, you beat me to it!  We’re booked on Sillie for 2021 and hope to enjoy  her upgrades.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been on the Equinox since her drydock.  I thought it was fine.  Never got to the suite outdoor deck to see what it was like as it lacks elevator access.  But I believe no pool.  Did they put one in on Silhouette?  Personally, I find the new Michael's Club sterile and greatly lacking in service.  Much preferred the old versions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for all of the information!  This is very good to know as I plan 2021 and 2022.  Too bad all of the other ships have had their revolutions postponed...if they happen soon at all...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Retreat sun deck on Equinox has no water feature and no bar. Wait staff there go down to the Sky Lounge bar to pick up drinks and bring back up. I have seen pics of the Retreat  sun deck on Silly and there is a covered bar. Much nicer. But both lack enough shade. I also feel the new decor in the lounge is very sterile, too brightly lit and not enough comfortable furniture.  I am looking forward to my Jan. Reflection cruise to experience the "old" Michael's club on her. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, 39august said:

The Retreat sun deck on Equinox has no water feature and no bar. Wait staff there go down to the Sky Lounge bar to pick up drinks and bring back up. I have seen pics of the Retreat  sun deck on Silly and there is a covered bar. Much nicer. But both lack enough shade. I also feel the new decor in the lounge is very sterile, too brightly lit and not enough comfortable furniture.  I am looking forward to my Jan. Reflection cruise to experience the "old" Michael's club on her. 

Ah yes that michaels club is the best on Reflection. We're going to hopefully try out the new lounge on the Equinox in Aug., provided we sail... fingers crossed! Seems they shrank the bar area. Not sure well try afternoon tea in the Caribbean when we can be on deck but maybe we'll get around to it. can you request food on the retreat deck? Just kidding!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lunch is served on the retreat sun deck. Small but tasty menu. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

I've been on the Equinox since her drydock.  I thought it was fine.  Never got to the suite outdoor deck to see what it was like as it lacks elevator access.  But I believe no pool.  Did they put one in on Silhouette?  Personally, I find the new Michael's Club sterile and greatly lacking in service.  Much preferred the old versions.

 

Pools were not part of the Retreat plans for the revolutionized ships, (well, way, way back in the earliest initial plans it mentioned a pool, but that was dropped well before any ship got updated) just a hot tub. Equinox did not get the hot tub though due to the reduced dry dock time as mentioned above.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wasn't sure about pools.  Probably difficult to add as an afterthought.  But that's where Celebrity's suite experience is not quite as good as other lines' ship within a ship concept.  Does the E class have a pool on the suite sun deck?  Haven't been on E class yet.  So far, they've only offered boring itineraries at very high prices.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Silhouette replaced the grass areas by the Sunset bar with additional seating areas, a nice additions.  Looking at some of the pictures from the Equinox, it appears the Equinox still has the grass areas by the Sunset Bar.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

I wasn't sure about pools.  Probably difficult to add as an afterthought.  But that's where Celebrity's suite experience is not quite as good as other lines' ship within a ship concept.  Does the E class have a pool on the suite sun deck?  Haven't been on E class yet.  So far, they've only offered boring itineraries at very high prices.

Tiny, but it's there on Edge.

exclusive-venues_2.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, marieps said:

Tiny, but it's there on Edge.

exclusive-venues_2.jpg

Basically a dip pool. Not bad but small

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Equinox was definitely only a ‘half job’. We knew before boarding that the sun deck had no water feature, that Michael’s had received a makeover and to expect very little change  to our suite(RS).

 

Around the ship, we didn’t see any real changes at all.

 

We did like the Retreat lounge, bright and light. However some of the furnishings were poorly thought out. Marble tables that attacked shins and low lights over tables hitting heads as guests got up. Changes were being made to rectify.

 

The sun deck was tastefully designed with comfortable furnishings but lacked shade. Service for food and drinks was excellent, probably because most guests didn’t stay long, just too hot. It was also very breezy which didn’t add to the comfort levels....

 

Our suite had new bedding, sofa and chair otherwise untouched. To be fair the carpet and curtains were in good shape. The big disappointment was the balcony, two lounger chairs with footstools which had no cushioning and the two chairs by the table also had no cushions. Ability to use the balcony was further hampered by two large cactus plants that you couldn’t move. Whilst we improvised using cushions obtained by our butler the balcony changes meant we used/enjoyed the balcony less than usual. We did report our disappointment in the hope that by the time they got to the Silhouette they may at least provide proper cushioning for the loungers. However, going from pictures I have seen I don’t think they have.

 

We should have been on the Silhouette this October but have now changed to next September (PH) so at least we will have two cushioned loungers but no piano to put our chocolates on!

 

 

 

Edited by chemmo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Beachlover1989 said:

I know Equinox didn't get some things done because of the crane incident, but is there a list of ships that were able to get the Revolution completed before all of this hit? TIA

I'm just waiting to see what ships are initially put back into service and what part of the fleet survives.  A key would be to see which ships undergo COVID-required renovations - and which do not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, TeeRick said:

I'm just waiting to see what ships are initially put back into service and what part of the fleet survives.  A key would be to see which ships undergo COVID-required renovations - and which do not.

 

Any idea what COVID required renovations may be?

 

I would guess servers in Oceanview or do you think they may section it into sit down and be served areas?

 

Perhaps inside room left empty to reduce numbers then MDR, lounges and deck furnishings spread out more?

 

Possibly taped crosses on every third chair in theatres?

 

Just guessing...as a long term aim will be to sail with full ships again I can’t see them wanting to make too many changes that can not be reversed.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, TeeRick said:

I'm just waiting to see what ships are initially put back into service and what part of the fleet survives.  A key would be to see which ships undergo COVID-required renovations - and which do not.

 

You may have identified the next Revolution.  People may more interested in sailing on ships that have had "Revolution 2.0"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 5/28/2020 at 4:33 PM, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

I've been on the Equinox since her drydock.  I thought it was fine.  Never got to the suite outdoor deck to see what it was like as it lacks elevator access.  But I believe no pool.  Did they put one in on Silhouette?  Personally, I find the new Michael's Club sterile and greatly lacking in service.  Much preferred the old versions.

On the Equinox after her dry dock.  Found the Suite deck a big disappointment.  On the Edge, they have a small pool and whirlpool tub.  No water feature on the Equinox.  The Edge had a nice bar/restaurant for a limited lunch menu, with waiter service.  Also the Equinox had no shaded areas on the deck.  It was much too hot and uncomfortable- not sure if it had bathrooms, as we didn't stay on the deck.  As soon as the workers are allowed to work on the ship,  perhaps would be a great time to continue with the renovations.  Assuming that Celebrity will not sell some ships.

 

IMO the updates to Michaels club were fine.  Except the lounge reps only had a podium without a seat and not a nice desk to be comfortable.  So when you talked to him/her you had to stand.  So if you needed reservations and had questions it wasn't at all comfortable.  

 

 

Edited by Cruise a holic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

 

You may have identified the next Revolution.  People may more interested in sailing on ships that have had "Revolution 2.0"

Maybe Virolution? Covilution? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, chemmo said:

 

Any idea what COVID required renovations may be?

 

I would guess servers in Oceanview or do you think they may section it into sit down and be served areas?

 

Perhaps inside room left empty to reduce numbers then MDR, lounges and deck furnishings spread out more?

 

Possibly taped crosses on every third chair in theatres?

 

Just guessing...as a long term aim will be to sail with full ships again I can’t see them wanting to make too many changes that can not be reversed.

 

 

Probably some initial easy changes on different parts of the ship.  Restaurants, bars, MDR would maybe be similar to what is going on with the same venues on land during initial openings.  Changes to serving stations and plexiglass everywhere? Perhaps the theatre will be every other seat and every other row but more shows?  What about changes to muster drills? The costly renovations might involve expanding and adding isolation areas in the medical bay and adding things like ventilators and other diagnostic equipment like machines for quick viral testing.  I think you can follow creativity from land-based reopenings and apply a lot of this to ships.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was wondering if anyone here might have some knowledge on a question of mine regarding "Revolutionizing" on the Equinox.

 

From pictures that I am able to see it appears that cabins in the Concierge level and higher got new carpeting.  Scant pictures that I can find seem to show the same old carpet in Verandah rooms.  Is that correct?  Looking at the Revolutionization on ships like the Millennium and Summit it does not appear from what I have been able to see that the verandah cabins on Equinox were upgraded at all.  Anyone that give me more information about this either confirming or correcting my ideas, would be greatly appreciated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have 2 cruises scheduled next year on the Infinity. We booked them believing that the Infinity would be revolutionized this November, which has now been canceled due to the Pandemic. We are very disappointed that the this update will not happen with new furnishings and updated room electronics in our AQ Class cabins, but we will be on a cruise ship going places we want to see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Regarding the questions about Equinox, I believe concierge and aqua cabins got new carpet, drapes and bedding. Suites got new drapes and bedding. We were in a suite and I don't think we had new carpet. I believe all other cabins got new bedding. The Passport bar has new furniture and carpet and the famous "pig" side tables. We loved EQ as she was, so no biggie for us. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with the Quark Expeditions Team!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...