Cruise Critic Community
BigHouseFootball

Starboard or Port Cabin?

Hey Everyone,

Frequent cruiser but a newbie for Alaska. Everything is brand new and so different than the Caribbean Cruises I’m used to planning. 

Is there a side of the ship that you prefer for a balcony cabin on an Alaska cruise? 

My wife and I are looking at June 2022 and booking right when cruises are released. 

Thank you for any advice you can give!

28 minutes ago, BigHouseFootball said:

Hey Everyone,

Frequent cruiser but a newbie for Alaska. Everything is brand new and so different than the Caribbean Cruises I’m used to planning. 

Is there a side of the ship that you prefer for a balcony cabin on an Alaska cruise? 

My wife and I are looking at June 2022 and booking right when cruises are released. 

Thank you for any advice you can give!

Theoretically... If you're taking a one-way from South to North the Starboard side will be towards the land when you're in open ocean - though it will probably be a couple miles or more away and you won't see much.  The Port side if you're going North to South.  When you're cruising the Inside Passage areas there shouldn't be much difference, there might be something to see from either side.  On one cruise we had a Starboard cabin and the next time had the exact same location but on the Port side.  I was thinking, at least, while docked we'd have something different to see on the 2nd time around.  That didn't work out because they turned the ship around the opposite direction everywhere except for Ketchikan, so the same exact view. Ha Ha  You can't outguess them!  My thinking is I'd choose my cabin based on what it might be close to or away from on the ship.  I did enjoy having our balcony so we could step outside in our own personal space when we wanted too.  This is just my opinion - I'm sure there are a million more.  Good luck!  You'll love Alaska regardless. 🙂

Thank you for the response and I was thinking much like you said. 

We don’t really have a preference north or south we will pick based on date/price if there is a difference. 

I’ll try to get a cabin on the side facing the coast for longer periods, but good to know that if I can’t secure a cabin on that side it should t make much of a difference!

I don't think it makes that much of a difference. I have done several B2B in the same cabin and never thought the scenery was that much better on the opposite voyage.

Agree...no real difference on side of the ship. You aren't locked in your cabin...you will be out and about most of the time. Plus the scenery is not all on one side, or so focused you have to be in just the right spot. Its big picture scenery...

21 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Agree...no real difference on side of the ship. You aren't locked in your cabin...you will be out and about most of the time. Plus the scenery is not all on one side, or so focused you have to be in just the right spot. Its big picture scenery...

Another vote that which side of the ship your stateroom is on makes no difference.  One needs to be "out and about" in scenic areas.

We were on a starboard side balcony for our Seward to Vancouver cruise. I know that it is most likely not written in stone but all but one of our port stops had us facing the dock. Not what I wanted. And I expect that the decision may not be made until the ship is near port. I took a look at some of the services that give the positions of the cruise ships and it appears to be a real crap shoot on how they are positioned in port. We clearly wanted to watch for sea life while on our balcony when in port on the ship. Just didn't happen. Not even sure it is even possible to determine which cruise parks which way. Next cruise for us, getting a stern cabin or will skip the cruise. The best exterior scenery we had was after leaving Hubbard Glacier on way to Juneau looking east from the port side upper deck. Of course the trip in and out of Yakutat and Disenchantment Bay was amazing from anywhere on the boat.

J9PsO8l.jpg

A consideration would be. IF you go to Glacier Bay-  and only want to stay in your cabin.   Then you want a port side cabin. 

I’ll also agree it makes no difference which side.  On the Inside Passage viewing is both sides.  

2 minutes ago, masterdrago said:

We were on a starboard side balcony for our Seward to Vancouver cruise. I know that it is most likely not written in stone but all but one of our port stops had us facing the dock. Not what I wanted. And I expect that the decision may not be made until the ship is near port. I took a look at some of the services that give the positions of the cruise ships and it appears to be a real crap shoot on how they are positioned in port. We clearly wanted to watch for sea life while on our balcony when in port on the ship. Just didn't happen. Not even sure it is even possible to determine which cruise parks which way. Next cruise for us, getting a stern cabin or will skip the cruise. The best exterior scenery we had was after leaving Hubbard Glacier on way to Juneau looking east from the port side upper deck. Of course the trip in and out of Yakutat and Disenchantment Bay was amazing from anywhere on the boat.

J9PsO8l.jpg

I’ve been on multiple b2b sailings and it’s a mistake to make assumptions on docking.    It is unpredictable.     As example I was on a ship 5 weeks last year and it varied.   

We are so set on having an aft (absolute back of the ship) cabin that we booked as soon as Celebrity released their 2021 Alaska itineraries to make sure we got an aft cabin.  We took two previous Alaska cruises on Carnival and had  aft cabins and LOVED it (we booked the same cabin both times).  We love the location and being able to see "both sides," and on both Carnival and Celebrity, the aft cabins are larger than the average balcony/veranda cabin.

Took this pic on our 2011 cruise as we were headed away from Skagway and headed towards Juno.  It was at the end of July and the pic was taken at about 10PM.

Leaving Skagway.jpg

13 hours ago, Budget Queen said:

A consideration would be. IF you go to Glacier Bay-  and only want to stay in your cabin.   Then you want a port side cabin. 

I’ll also agree it makes no difference which side.  On the Inside Passage viewing is both sides.  

We are booked for our third Alaska trip in May, 2021. Both previous ships visited Glacier Bay and the ships spent equal time for port and starboard facing glacier.

20 minutes ago, Threedrones said:

We are booked for our third Alaska trip in May, 2021. Both previous ships visited Glacier Bay and the ships spent equal time for port and starboard facing glacier.

However.  The commentary lines up with the port side for the glaciers.   (4-5)    I’ve also been on multiple sailings where starboard had a shorter view.   1 time actually no view on Princess a long time ago.    🤩.      

Pardon the spelling in my post... I know it's Juneau.  Was very tired and brain was not fully engaged.  Unable to edit to correct.  😟