Departing Rome - Where to fly and how to get to port

15yearsandwaiting

Fly into Fiumicino (Rome ) airport.   There are plenty of hotels in the area of the airport.  It is easy to get into the city if you prefer to stop there.   Then there are plenty of ways to get to Civitavecchia from Rome either to get to the port on departure day or to the hotels there.   Train, taxi or shuttle are available,   NCL does a bus from the airport to the port on the day of departure.  Plenty of choice.

If you want to see the city of Rome before your cruise, don't stay at the airport.  It is not easily accessible to the sites in Rome. We used a company called Habicabs for all of our transportation to the hotel in Rome and then to the cruise port. Neither FCO or the port is close by.  You can book a shared van or private van with them.

• Like 1

Yes, as some has posted fly into fco (fiumincino airport).  Please note the port is in Civitavecchia which is over an hour from Rome.  You can take the train which is the cheapest option https://www.trenitalia.com/en.html  or car service.  We used Rome Cabs. https://www.romecabs.com/  

Romelimo also gets good reviews.   There is so much to see in Rome plus you will have jet lag.  Plan to get to Rome at least 2 nights before your cruise.  We spent 3 days in Rome before boarding our ship.  We stayed at a lovely family run hotel called the Hotel Golden.  https://www.hotelgoldenrome.com/

Last August we used www.fiumicinoshuttleexpress.com to go from Rome city center to the port and, then after our cruise, to go from the port to the airport.

We booked a shared shuttle, which worked wonderfully.  To the port, we were the only ones booked, so we ended up with a private car.  To the airport, we were in a van with two other people.  The drivers were great and the communication was professional.  They sent an email the day before letting you know the type of vehicle, its number plate and a picture of the driver.

We felt like it was a good value for the price (70E for two people) and would use the company again.  

Edited by MNcruisingcouple

On our cruise that sailed out of Rome we flew into FCO a few days early. Stayed in the city and toured. And then we took a train from the main terminal in Rome to the port. We would do that again. I would definitely recommend fly in a few days early to tour Rome if you haven't been there before. There are many sites to see and it takes a good hour+ to get to the port so you would just being going straight from the airport to the port if you fly in on embarkation day.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, elaine5 said:

the Leonardo Express is an express train from FCO-Rome. I recommend that if you don't take a cab/car. Car hire used to be 100 euros one way, plus tip. LE is about 20 euros/PP.

Car services generally charge between 50 - 60 euro between the airport and downtown Rome, which is just slightly above the fixed fare for a taxi of 48 euro.

The Leonardo Express between the airport and Rome Termini train station is 14 euro each way.

One thing we have learned from being very independent (on our own) travelers for many decades is to take things one step at a time.  Otherwise, the options can become overwhelming.  So, since you would obviously be flying from the USA you will fly to Rome's Fiumicino Airport (FCO).  You should also plan on flying in several days (or more) early and spending some quality land time in Rome and/or some other nearby parts of Italy.   Moving between the FCO, Rome, and the Port (Civitavecchia) can all be accomplished by train, taxi, private transfers (we recommend Romecabs.com) or perhaps a cruise line transfer bus.  It is all quite manageable and not a first priority.   If you plan on spending a few nights in Rome (highly recommended) a tough decision is on where to stay.  It is not so much about right or wrong but more about personal preference and your budget.  

A nice thing about Cruise Critic (CC) is that there are quite a few of us waiting and willing to dispense advice/recommendations to specific questions.   And a great thing about this public forum is that if any of us give bad advice there will quickly be others to "slap us down."  :).

Hank

• Like 2

You absolutely want to fly [to FCO] at least one day early, since flights can be delayed or cancelled [and with fewer flights now, the chances of recovery are slim – coming from Ohio you won't have a non-stop flight so even if you make it your luggage might not...].  If you can only spare one day, you might as well go straight to Civitavecchia.  It isn't a great sightseeing city, but would reward an afternoon and evening – and then you're right there for your ship. 

But if you can spare another day I would spend the time in Rome.  The cheapest transport from the airport is the Leonardo Express train – it is quite convenient if you choose a hotel near Rome Termini station, which is also a Metro hub so great for getting around sightseeing.  From Rome to the ship, IMHO the convenience of a private transfer is worth it; the alternative is the train, but then you still need a taxi from the Civitavecchia station to the ship.

18 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

If you can only spare one day, you might as well go straight to Civitavecchia.  It isn't a great sightseeing city, but would reward an afternoon and evening – and then you're right there for your ship. 

But if you can spare another day I would spend the time in Rome.  The cheapest transport from the airport is the Leonardo Express train – it is quite convenient if you choose a hotel near Rome Termini station, which is also a Metro hub so great for getting around sightseeing.  From Rome to the ship, IMHO the convenience of a private transfer is worth it; the alternative is the train, but then you still need a taxi from the Civitavecchia station to the ship.

I respectfully disagree -- even one day is better spent in Rome. Civitavecchia is a port town and is not charming -- not what visitors would think of as a typical Italian town; nothing picturesque and nothing really to do.

One other small point -- you don't need a taxi from the train station. There is a local bus that runs to the port gates on a regular schedule; you can buy a ticket (2 euro) in the small shop in the train station after you alight there. Once at the port gate, there are free shuttles to the various ships.

Still, it is a hassle unless you've packed light; as you also are likely to have to go down and then up a flight of steps at the train station in Civitavecchia (no elevator). I've done this a few times but now I find the 70 euro or so for a shared mini-van ride from my hotel in Rome direct to the ship to be money well spent.

• Like 1

I agree that even just one evening in Rome is so much better than simply cooling your heels in Civitavecchia. 

The Leonardo Express is a bargain at 14 euro.  There are less expensive options for getting into Rome from the airport, starting with direct shuttle buses from 5 euro that go to either Termini or to the Vatican area.  There is also a local train that stops at the Trastevere and Ostiense stations (among others) for 8 euro if you choose to stay in one of those areas.  The Civitavecchia Express train (direct service between Rome and Civitavecchia) uses the Ostiense station, if that's of interest.

There is a regional bus from Rome to Civitavecchia that drops you very close to the port entrance for under 5 euro but it takes quite a bit longer.  For this transfer I agree with Cruisemom, unless you travel very light the shared shuttle is a great tradeoff between cost and convenience.

From the airport to Rome and then from Rome to Civitavecchia we used Romehabicabs (as mentioned before) as a shared service from Rome to cruise port. From airport to hotel, we used Welcome Pick Ups which I didnt see mentioned prior and that is who I will use whenever possible from now on. It is kind of like a pre-scheduled Uber but our driver was fantastic and pointed out so many things along the way. Habicabs driver didnt even speak to us... the drive was fine though. There are so many hotels right in the city center of Rome making it easily walkable to most landmarks. We did not go to the Vatican but we visited the Colloseum, Trajens Market, Trevi Fountain, Pantheon, Camp di Fiori and did a fantastic food tour. We flew in 1 and a half days early.

Hi

Everyone has such great information we are flying in a few days prior to the cruise and wondering is it ok to wait till day of departure to go from Rome or should we head to the port the day before

Thanks

49 minutes ago, Alnursu said:

Hi

Everyone has such great information we are flying in a few days prior to the cruise and wondering is it ok to wait till day of departure to go from Rome or should we head to the port the day before

Thanks

Terrific question.  In the case of Rome and Civitavecchia you can wait until the day of the cruise to head to the port.  Assuming you are going by vehicle around mid-day the drive should take about 1:15.  We have never seen any compelling reason to spend a night in Civtavecchia (we have done it and did not like it) compared to spending a night in Rome (always terrific).   There are several ways to get from Rome to the port with our favorite being to use a pre-arranged transfer (we prefer Romecabs.com) or a taxi.  If you are doing this on your own (no sharing) it can cost about 110 - 130 Euros.  You can also do it by train (and save a lot of money) but that does mean getting from your hotel to one of Rome's train stations and then later getting from the Civitavecchia station to your ship.  While this does save money it is somewhat of a hassle because of luggage..  If you are interested in a train transfer just ask here and we (or others) can give you very detailed instructions.   Using the regional trains does not involve any reservations.

Hank

16 hours ago, Alnursu said:

Hi

Thanks

Definitely wait until your departure day. 

I usually can fit a half day of sightseeing in before heading to the port, but then I've never been one of those who has to be first on board the ship. 

On 6/8/2020 at 11:52 AM, Alnursu said:

Hi

Thanks

We always wait to head to the port until the day of the cruise. As others have said, even one night in Rome is worth it. You really have no worries about getting to the port in time. Once you are out of Rome, there is usually light traffic on the road to Civtavecchia. Any reputable private transportation company will get you to the port in time. We prefer RomeCabs or RomeInLimo. Not the cheapest method of getting to the port, but comfortable and reliable.

I on the other hand like to do things on my own like if you lived there. So when my wife and I went to Rome last year, we used the trains extensively. Took the leo Express to the train station, got a cab to the hotel, although there are a few good hotels within walking distance to the train station. Then took the train to Civitavecchia. The only thing to remember for that part is you will have to carry your luggage down and up a flight of stairs, and getting off and on(on the return trip). The platforms are much lower than the doors to the train cars. But we made due.  You can even prepay your trip to Civitavecchia and back before you even start your vacation. I had the tickets right on my phone. Total cost for 2 from rome to the port entrance was 35 Euros. And the train ride was only 48 minutes. We departed at 10am and got there by 11am.

Edited by Voelfgar
additional info

5 hours ago, Voelfgar said:

I on the other hand like to do things on my own like if you lived there. So when my wife and I went to Rome last year, we used the trains extensively. Took the leo Express to the train station, got a cab to the hotel, although there are a few good hotels within walking distance to the train station. Then took the train to Civitavecchia. The only thing to remember for that part is you will have to carry your luggage down and up a flight of stairs, and getting off and on(on the return trip). The platforms are much lower than the doors to the train cars. But we made due.  You can even prepay your trip to Civitavecchia and back before you even start your vacation. I had the tickets right on my phone. Total cost for 2 from rome to the port entrance was 35 Euros. And the train ride was only 48 minutes. We departed at 10am and got there by 11am.

We have been doing our own thing for over 40 years and have previously posted all the details of taking the train to Civitavecchia and then getting from the train station to the port.  It is a decent option for do it yourselfers who are happy moving their luggage a long way through Termini (less of a problem in some other stations), hauling their luggage on and off the train, maintaining lots of personal security to protect both their luggage and other personal effects (gypsies and other pickpockets are too common in Italy), dealing with the steps at the Civitavecchia train station, and then finding a way to get to their ship (using public shuttle to port shuttle or praying to find a taxi at the train station).  I mention all this because while it can be fun for some folks it is hardly worth the hassle for others.  And do not forget that you also need to get from your Rome hotel/location to a train station which can involve additional expense.

That is why many of us think that Rome is one of those places where it makes sense to spend extra money for a transfer.  It is hard to beat the convenience of a vehicle that picks you up at your hotel and drops you at the ship or the new port terminal.  If a couple decides to do this on their own the additional cost vs using public transit and trains is approximately 100Euros.  Personally, since I am not getting younger, I think it's money well spent.  The cost can be reduced by sharing a vehicle transfer.  Although I have often suggested doing this transfer on one's own using trains and buses, I would leave that recommendation for younger adventurous folks who are on tight budgets and have the energy to easily handle their luggage...even on a couple of long stairways.

By the way, there will be those who say they avoid all this hassle by booking a cruise line pre cruise package.  And that is where I do normally draw the proverbial line.  Cruise line hotel/transfer packages are generally very overpriced (often double the cost of making your own arrangments)  and often involve hotels I would never consider (because of location and atmosphere).  Transfers are often done on buses which often involve waiting around until they board, sometimes waiting for a 2nd stop to pick up at another hotel, etc.   You can usually substantial money by booking your own hotel and even doing a private transfer for 2.  

Hank

• Like 1

Thanks All for your input

I agree Hank as you get a bit older the fun of carrying luggage etc gets a bit much so I will leave that for the younger and more adventurous and take a car from Rome. Do you have any suggestions for a hotel in Rome as it is our first time and are going to spend a few days sightseeing, we are happy to walk  to get to things but there seems such a number of hotels its hard to know where to stay so any input is appreciated.

Thanks

6 minutes ago, Alnursu said:

Thanks All for your input

I agree Hank as you get a bit older the fun of carrying luggage etc gets a bit much so I will leave that for the younger and more adventurous and take a car from Rome. Do you have any suggestions for a hotel in Rome as it is our first time and are going to spend a few days sightseeing, we are happy to walk  to get to things but there seems such a number of hotels its hard to know where to stay so any input is appreciated.

Thanks

If you look around the board, there are many threads on hotels. There is much discussion about the "best" place to stay. Some depends on your budget, and your mobility, which doesn't seem to be a problem. Staying in the Pantheon area is always mentioned as a good idea, with 3 or 4 hotels very commonly recommended.

• 6 months later...
On 6/12/2020 at 7:15 PM, Hlitner said:

We have been doing our own thing for over 40 years and have previously posted all the details of taking the train to Civitavecchia and then getting from the train station to the port.  It is a decent option for do it yourselfers who are happy moving their luggage a long way through Termini (less of a problem in some other stations), hauling their luggage on and off the train, maintaining lots of personal security to protect both their luggage and other personal effects (gypsies and other pickpockets are too common in Italy), dealing with the steps at the Civitavecchia train station, and then finding a way to get to their ship (using public shuttle to port shuttle or praying to find a taxi at the train station).  I mention all this because while it can be fun for some folks it is hardly worth the hassle for others.  And do not forget that you also need to get from your Rome hotel/location to a train station which can involve additional expense.

That is why many of us think that Rome is one of those places where it makes sense to spend extra money for a transfer.  It is hard to beat the convenience of a vehicle that picks you up at your hotel and drops you at the ship or the new port terminal.  If a couple decides to do this on their own the additional cost vs using public transit and trains is approximately 100Euros.  Personally, since I am not getting younger, I think it's money well spent.  The cost can be reduced by sharing a vehicle transfer.  Although I have often suggested doing this transfer on one's own using trains and buses, I would leave that recommendation for younger adventurous folks who are on tight budgets and have the energy to easily handle their luggage...even on a couple of long stairways.

By the way, there will be those who say they avoid all this hassle by booking a cruise line pre cruise package.  And that is where I do normally draw the proverbial line.  Cruise line hotel/transfer packages are generally very overpriced (often double the cost of making your own arrangments)  and often involve hotels I would never consider (because of location and atmosphere).  Transfers are often done on buses which often involve waiting around until they board, sometimes waiting for a 2nd stop to pick up at another hotel, etc.   You can usually substantial money by booking your own hotel and even doing a private transfer for 2.  

Hank

Is there a transfer company that you would recommend?

1 hour ago, Anyislandwilldo said:

Is there a transfer company that you would recommend?

Absolutely.  It would be Stefano's Rome Cabs (romecabs.com) who have served us well for many years.  They are often recommended here on CC.  Another popular company is romeinlimo.com.   

Hank