When will you cruise again? How will travel change for you?

nhtravels

My motto ... never say never. That said, I have definitely been giving a lot more thought to what I really want to do going forward.  I have been thinking a lot about what I would really like to see around the world and how I want to see it.

I am not 'afraid' to cruise, but I am not naive to the expectation it will not be the same for a while so I will not sail for a long time ... I just hung up the phone from cancelling a cruise I had booked for NEXT NOVEMBER.  I am not eager to do international air travel for a while either so it's not just the cruise change(s) that gives me pause, it's travel in general.

So sad but might just mean more local travel which is not a bad thing.  Meanwhile there are others with much bigger 'problems' than mine.  😞

On 5/31/2020 at 11:28 AM, CruzRamirez said:

I am not sure when I will cruise again. One step at a time. See first  how land based socially distanced vacations go.

Very true,  even day road trips are a challenge right now ... consider if you had to use the washroom along the way, where do you go ... ugh.  The things we sadly took for granted.

Hopefully January 3, 2021. 🤞 And travel won't change too much. I'll wear a mask (if required) and wash my hands and carry hand sanitizer. I will do what is required to protect myself, my husband and other people. 

Edited by Niffernay
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Next cruise is on February 2021 (Royal Princess). Unless there’s a no-sail mandate at that time, we will be taking that cruise with whatever precautions are in place at that time. 

During the last few months, I have continued flying and staying at hotels on a weekly basis (for work). At the beginning of this pandemic, I was very weary about traveling, but after doing it over and over, I have adjusted to the new requirements and safety protocols. All of it has now become routine. 

We also took a family vacation last week (to a golf & spa resort). Yes, there were many protocols in place (employees wearing masks, limited housekeeping, some facilities closed, distance markers everywhere, capacity limits even in elevators, paper menus at restaurants, etc). These were all nuisances, but hardly reasons not to enjoy our getaway. In fact we had a wonderful time. I’m guessing that I will feel similarly once cruising resumes. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 weeks ago booked a 5 day on the Carnival Paradise for an amazing price. It leaves early September and we knew the risks before booking. We’re well aware of the possibility of having to wear masks when in public spaces or that it may get cancelled. If anything, Covid has caused us to book more cruises because of pricing. We’ve also booked a 2022 Alaska cruise because we felt the price was good.

Sent from my iPhone

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

We have a March 2021 booked leaving out of MIA.  It's a long drive to Miami from ATL.  We are prepared to fly as we normally would pre-pandemic.

I’ve flown from Atlanta to Miami/Ft. Lauderdale a few times during the last few weeks. Easy peasy. 

One advantage you have is that three of the airlines with the most proactive social distancing protocols (Delta, JetBlue and Southwest) operate the route. At this current time, they are blocking all middle seats and operating their flights at reduced capacity. Masks required for all passengers. Fogging and deep cleaning. I’ve personally felt safer flying than going to the grocery store. 

• Like 1

On 6/1/2020 at 7:08 PM, poffles said:

Very true,  even day road trips are a challenge right now ... consider if you had to use the washroom along the way, where do you go ... ugh.  The things we sadly took for granted.

Are you saying washrooms are not available or that they're dangerous?

I will not cruise again until I receive a vaccine.  I have too many of the conditions listed on the CDC site.  My next “vacation” will probably be a road trip to family in SC.  And that will be a while.

12 hours ago, Mike_DeA said:

Are you saying washrooms are not available or that they're dangerous?

Sorry ... meant availability as we no longer know what might be open along your travels given closures.  Could be dangerous but that isn't what I was meaning. 🙂

• 2 weeks later...

Ready to cruise like, yesterday.... Sadly, the CDC & cruiselines wont let me. I am willing to wear a face covering, have my temperature regularly checked and even wear gloves and use hand sanitizer.. We currently have 3 B2B2B cruises (3/4 night cruises) booked with RCCL (Mariner of the Seas) and are hoping that they will go. Also Have a 16 day "Panama Canal" cruise

with NCL (Bliss) in late November. I also hope that that still goes a scheduled.

• Like 1

Flying is the real problem for me 

On a ship you can move around and stay away from people you think are not healthy.  But once on a plane. You can not move.  You can be sitting next to a sick looking person and will not be able to do anything about that 

We changed our plans having a cruise to the caribbean in january. Just got a nice offer for Lissabon-Barcelona from jan. 02.

No trouble with US border, simply stay in europe 🙂 Wasnt easy to find a fair-priced flight, because of the still blocked middle seats and rows (Lufthansa).

I agree with admiral Farragut's quote which was actually closer to "Damn the torpedoes, four bells, go ahead full speed". It's time to move on and heal the economy, regardless of additional smaller waves and inevitable scare speculations for all following flu seasons. I say this in spite of knowledge the 1918 pandemic very nearly eliminated my branch of the family, but with some personal confidence from taking the pneumococcal vaccine. That very expensive shot addresses the apparent mechanism of death, which is isn't from covid itself but it's complications of pneumonia.

Paul Gauguin starting sailings end of July as FP opening up 7/15.

Between their items, FP items, and flying way over there, no way would we go.  We were booked for this week but cancelled long time ago.  All the IFs even trying to sail out of US, we are a no go literally as we could spend a bunch if money to get to a port to have something happen.

We don’t have anything booked for the first time in years. We can only cruise once a year usually but we had hoped to go to Alaska this year and do something for our 15th wedding anniversary in November. 

We won’t cruise for a long time. It makes me sad to think that but I know things won’t be the same and my husbands job has very strict rules about travel. My husband wants to buy a boat, but I think a small travel trailer would be a better buy. We live in Seattle area so we could definitely take some beautiful road trips. I just went back to work last week so I’m not really thinking of any time off yet. I’m just saying 2020 is a wash and we can start fresh next year. 

• Like 1

On 5/28/2020 at 10:24 PM, nhtravels said:

When will you cruise again?  Are you currently booked (on a "not-cancelled" date)?  What changes will you make in future plans (ie. more land based travel, closer to home, or will you travel more?)

We would have been on the Bliss leaving Sunday 5/31.  We had already booked the Breakaway for 5/14/21 (ABC islands) and decided to add the Bliss Panama Canal for 2/4/22 using up some FCC.  

I think we'll do our annual Atlantis trips in October and January. If I can find a great deal, maybe try and rebook Alaska for next September.  

I’m hoping to be able to cruise again only once a vaccination is actually available. I can’t see cruises again until 2021 possible in the fall. 1918 Spanish flu epidemic is being ignored. Unfortunately each state is doing its own thing. Not to mention the rest of the world. Covid19 is going to persist and re-emerge. Glad we enjoyed the bliss in February and gem last November. Age 65 and both of us have health issues that add to being vigilant.
But if I was young and healthy then it would be a different story!

• Like 1

On 5/28/2020 at 7:24 PM, nhtravels said:

When will you cruise again?  Are you currently booked (on a "not-cancelled" date)?  What changes will you make in future plans (ie. more land based travel, closer to home, or will you travel more?)

We would have been on the Bliss leaving Sunday 5/31.  We had already booked the Breakaway for 5/14/21 (ABC islands) and decided to add the Bliss Panama Canal for 2/4/22 using up some FCC.  

I think we'll do our annual Atlantis trips in October and January. If I can find a great deal, maybe try and rebook Alaska for next September.  

I have had three cruises canceled this year, April, July and August.  I have one booked end of March 2021, and hope there will be a vaccine by then, or I will probably cancel.  My husband will no longer cruise unless we are in a balcony or above.  He does not want to be quarantined in an inside room!

• Like 1

On 5/29/2020 at 8:28 AM, Nclcruise1415 said:

We have a cruise scheduled for mid October 2020 and will sail if allowed. I work in the medical field so I am used to wearing masks for long periods of time pre Covid-19. I'll follow simple guidelines/procedures put forth but the cruise lines and know that a couple hiccups on my vacation are far better than a week at work.

I was wondering if you will be required to self quarantine for 2 weeks following your trip?  Particularly because you mentioned that you are in the medical field.  That is an issue where I reside & has impacted a lot of travel plans (not just cruising).