Jump to content

Silversea refund processing time


Recommended Posts

Thank you all for your insight.  I asked my agent to call Silversea again today.  They said they were "pleased that I had deducted the $200 cancellation fee" and would work on refunding my money within 45 WORKING DAYS".  OMG, this is unbelievably wrong.  They said they were "doing me a favor" and not making the time start over from my original cancellation date.  Personally I am very sad.  If they truly mean working days, I will be lucky to get it by Halloween unless as some say, Amex has some provision.  I did call Amex at their dispute center today and they said they are only handling this by email!  It does seem that everything is not working out for me, but I guess I can suck it up and wait, and wait, and wait.  Thanks for all the support.  I do appreciate it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Since US law provides for civil liability to consumers for violations of Regulation Z (12 CFR 1026) with a civil penalty paid to the consumer plus actual damages, attorneys fees and court costs, I would not at all be surprised if law firms begin taking more of these delayed refund cases on behalf of passengers.

 

Certainly the language that SIlversea uses in some of its communications is troubling.  For example, as to our booking that Silversea canceled ten days ago, they recently wrote "The cash refund you have requested on Booking XXXXX0XX, Voyage XXXXXXXXXXX, in the name of XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX has been processed today."  Note it doesn't indicate "will be processed" nor "is scheduled for processing" but "has been processed."  The wording "cash refund...has been processed today" could certainly lead a reasonable person to conclude that Silversea has completed what it needs to do in order for the refund to appear back on the original method of payment.

 

Considering that this issue began almost seven months ago, Silversea has now had more than adequate time to reassign and train its employees to process refunds and/or hire additional staff (even if only on a temporary basis) to assist in processing refunds.  By continuing to delay action on refunds for US passengers at this point in time, despite the clear mandate of federal law and the merchant refund requirements imposed by credit card issuers, indicates this is an intentional decision by Silversea to flout the rules in order to manage their cash flow, wagering that very few passengers will take legal action, file complaints with applicable regulators, file credit card disputes or elect not to patronize Silversea in the future.

Edited by alexandria
Spelling
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, scottjeanne said:

I find it interesting that many of us received our refunds this week.  It seems they may only issue credits once per month or so not on a case per case basis.

 

I think I've seen mentioned on various CC forums that the cruise lines are processing refunds in batches.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/24/2020 at 3:37 PM, TLCOhio said:

 

Appreciate the good follow-up from the savvy Observer.  At that time, I did not need and/or ask for the specific Federal statute number when discussing the subject with my Congressman.  This afternoon after seeing your note, I put a call into his office for that added detail..... 

 

Will share more as I get added info/details.  

 

Do you have the added info/details regarding the bank's responsibility to post refunds and the "shell game" allegedly being played by cruise lines.  Since you had direct access to your Congressman for the initial advice on the 24 hour refund requirement and the dire legal consequences of failing to meet that deadline, I would have assumed that your Congressman or his staff would have gotten back to you within a week.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Pleased to advise that SS refunded to the TA this week and then back into my account from the TA that same day. It took 58 days from when I notified the TA - which is about par for Australia apparently. Would need to really think about whether the few thousand discount for paying in full so early is worth it in future though. The only money not refunded was $250 held by SS and noted under the T&C. Booking was Melb - Auckland on 22 December 2020 - still showing as sailing but a combination of DH health issues and COVID meant we needed to cancel.

Edited by Aussieflyer
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/1/2020 at 5:46 PM, Observer said:

Do you have the added info/details regarding the bank's responsibility to post refunds and the "shell game" allegedly being played by cruise lines.  Since you had direct access to your Congressman for the initial advice on the 24 hour refund requirement and the dire legal consequences of failing to meet that deadline, I would have assumed that your Congressman or his staff would have gotten back to you within a week.  

 

Appreciate your follow-up and good reminder.  Had called and left a phone message last Friday.    Been busy the past few days and did not heard back.  Called this am and got a quick follow-up call by the Congressman's staff member who works on the U.S. House Financial Services Committee issues.  She will be digging deeper.  I have her direct cell number.  As is happening in most private-sector offices, most House staff members are not in their offices and are working remotely from home.   She "gets it" for what we are seeking and hopefully I can post that added info next week.  

 

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

 

Sydney to NZ/Auckland Adventure, live/blog 2014 sampling/details with many exciting visuals and key highlights.  On page 23, post #571, see a complete index for all of the pictures, postings.  Now at 231,077 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, TLCOhio said:

 

Appreciate your follow-up and good reminder.  Had called and left a phone message last Friday.    Been busy the past few days and did not heard back.  Called this am and got a quick follow-up call by the Congressman's staff member who works on the U.S. House Financial Services Committee issues.  She will be digging deeper.  I have her direct cell number.  As is happening in most private-sector offices, most House staff members are not in their offices and are working remotely from home.   She "gets it" for what we are seeking and hopefully I can post that added info next week.  

 

Thanks.  Look forward to follow-up.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, TLCOhio said:

 

Appreciate your follow-up and good reminder.  Had called and left a phone message last Friday.    Been busy the past few days and did not heard back.  Called this am and got a quick follow-up call by the Congressman's staff member who works on the U.S. House Financial Services Committee issues.  She will be digging deeper.  I have her direct cell number.  As is happening in most private-sector offices, most House staff members are not in their offices and are working remotely from home.   She "gets it" for what we are seeking and hopefully I can post that added info next week.  

 

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

 

Sydney to NZ/Auckland Adventure, live/blog 2014 sampling/details with many exciting visuals and key highlights.  On page 23, post #571, see a complete index for all of the pictures, postings.  Now at 231,077 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

 

When the staff member in your congressional office contacts you with that information, if it is at variance to what I posted the other day (linked below), would you kindly ask her for the citation (statute or regulation)?  While I endeavor to be accurate with the information I post, it is always possible for me to be in error.  Doesn't happen too often, but it has been known to occur!  😉

 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2751011-silversea-refund-processing-time/?do=findComment&comment=60393031

 

Thanks!

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, alexandria said:

When the staff member in your congressional office contacts you with that information, if it is at variance to what I posted the other day (linked below), would you kindly ask her for the citation (statute or regulation)?  While I endeavor to be accurate with the information I post, it is always possible for me to be in error.  Doesn't happen too often, but it has been known to occur!  Thanks!

 

YES!!  Have already had that discussion with her.  Especially at the Federal level, it is never just a simple three-sentence section within one law that outlines everything perfectly and in a clear, understandable manner.  Usually, it is a multi-layer complex of statutes, plus administratively-crafted regulations, etc.  AND, since it involves banking, the Federal Reserve system and their rule-making power can get seriously involved.   In a respectful manner, I express that most Federal laws and rules are a "full-employment" act for attorneys to dissect the words, raise loop-holes, stir confusion, seek exceptions, etc., etc.  

 

With smart "legal-eagle" alexandria interested and monitoring, I will make sure next week to get as full and complete of details as possible.  I am confident that alexandria has done her homework very well.  These national/international legal areas, however, are just complex and confusing.  

 

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

 

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!  Is one of your future desires or past favorites? See these many visual samples for its great history and architecture.  This posting is now at 88,754 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

 

Edited by TLCOhio
Link to post
Share on other sites

I am in major pain.  My original cancellation was quite some time ago.  I don't have the paperwork in front of me, but now my travel agent said that since I turned it over to American Express for a dispute, Silversea says I have to start all over and it will be 60 to 90 days from NOW.  This is truly scam.  It is still over a year until the cruise.  They should not have the right to deny me my credit which is over $38,000.  I do hope anyone who reads this board and this subject thinks twice before paying in full for. a cruise or even depositing on Silversea.  My husband needs cancer treatments and I can't pay for them now.

Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Caroldoll said:

I am in major pain.  My original cancellation was quite some time ago.  I don't have the paperwork in front of me, but now my travel agent said that since I turned it over to American Express for a dispute, Silversea says I have to start all over and it will be 60 to 90 days from NOW.  This is truly scam.  It is still over a year until the cruise.  They should not have the right to deny me my credit which is over $38,000.  I do hope anyone who reads this board and this subject thinks twice before paying in full for. a cruise or even depositing on Silversea.  My husband needs cancer treatments and I can't pay for them now.

Have YOU spoken directly with Silversea or is all information through your TA?

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, MrsWaldo said:

Have YOU spoken directly with Silversea or is all information through your TA?  

 

 

 

I think this is a very good and important point.  I had not understood that a TA was involved.  I was scammed by a TA a number of years ago and now deal directly with the cruise lines.  I would have thought that a good TA would have resolved this matter some time ago OR explained clearly to the customer what the issue was.  This does not sound like SS procedures nowadays.  The problem here could be that the cruise line/SS will not deal directly with the passenger.  The response may be that the TA "owns" the booking, and all inquiries., adjustments, etc., must be transmitted via the TA.  Something does not compute about this situation.  I hope it is resolved.

Edited by Observer
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Caroldoll said:

Now my travel agent said that since I turned it over to American Express for a dispute, Silversea says I have to start all over and it will be 60 to 90 days from NOW.  They should not have the right to deny me my credit which is over $38,000. My husband needs cancer treatments and I can't pay for them now.

 

I'm trying to follow along, but I'm confused. You previously posted that because you were didn't want to continue waiting for Silversea to issue a refund, you filed a dispute with Amex. And you said you got a credit on your Amex account. So why do you say you can't pay for your husband's treatments. I do understand that the Amex credit is not yet permanent while the back-and-forth that your dispute initiated, but you know that ultimately you will prevail because it's a refund of a prepayment for a far-in-the-future cruise. It shouldn't matter how long it takes for Silversea and Amex to resolve this, because the money is in your hands now. Even in the unlikely event Amex for some reason reverses the credit and tells you to wait for your pending refund from Silversea, you'll have had the use of your money in the interim; at worst, you'll have to work with Amex to say your account will be paid when your refund from the cruise line posts. The key is that you have your money in your hands now, and can spend it for your current urgent need. Am I missing something? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, cruiseej said:

 

I'm trying to follow along, but I'm confused. You previously posted that because you were didn't want to continue waiting for Silversea to issue a refund, you filed a dispute with Amex. And you said you got a credit on your Amex account. So why do you say you can't pay for your husband's treatments. I do understand that the Amex credit is not yet permanent while the back-and-forth that your dispute initiated, but you know that ultimately you will prevail because it's a refund of a prepayment for a far-in-the-future cruise. It shouldn't matter how long it takes for Silversea and Amex to resolve this, because the money is in your hands now. Even in the unlikely event Amex for some reason reverses the credit and tells you to wait for your pending refund from Silversea, you'll have had the use of your money in the interim; at worst, you'll have to work with Amex to say your account will be paid when your refund from the cruise line posts. The key is that you have your money in your hands now, and can spend it for your current urgent need. Am I missing something? 

No you are not, but I personally don't like to use something that isn't really mine yet.  I guess I have to wait until November, or try to charge on Amex.  It isn't right what they are doing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Caroldoll said:

No you are not, but I personally don't like to use something that isn't really mine yet.  I guess I have to wait until November, or try to charge on Amex.  It isn't right what they are doing.

 

Hi,

 

Genuine sympathies for your situation.  

 

I'm posting because I'm hoping that in your terrifying situation I can help by adding some clarification and therefore reassurance.  You have enough to contend with without worrying about stuff you don't need to worry about.

 

At the moment you have had a temporary credit on your Amex.  This is pending either a proper credit from SS or an excuse that is accepted by Amex.  This means that you can commence respending on the treatment as though the original transaction hadn't taken place.  You've been told that this has placed you at the back of the SS credit queue.  This is inconsequential and need not worry you.  The consiequences of you having the credit was the right thing for you to do in your circumstances becasue it has had the effect of releasing the Amex credit you need.   If SS didn't at some point credit Amex with the amount you are owed because they claim and Amex agree that your refund isn't due and are still in business it is only then you have a problem. This clearly isn't going to happen. 

 

So my words to you is use your Amex for the treatment needed NOW and without delay and forget completely about this issue until something happens.  The most likely thing is that at some time in the future the SS credit will turn up.  You have nothing to worry about with respect to your Amex card and should focus your energies on the health challenge.   Amex are not going to charge you interest or anything and everything is going to work out fine.  There has been some meanderings with respect to a possible TA scam, but please don't worry about that.  If in the unlikely event that there is a TA scam then Amex will not reverse the credit they have made and you needn't worry about this.

 

Best wishes for your current issues .... but please stop worrying.  If you want to ask more about it then do post and I and others will try and help constructively.

 

Jeff  🙂

Edited by UKCruiseJeff
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, UKCruiseJeff said:

 

Hi,

 

Genuine sympathies for your situation.  

 

I'm posting because I'm hoping that in your terrifying situation I can help by adding some clarification and therefore reassurance.  You have enough to contend with without worrying about stuff you don't need to worry about.

 

At the moment you have had a temporary credit on your Amex.  This is pending either a proper credit from SS or an excuse that is accepted by Amex.  This means that you can commence respending on the treatment as though the original transaction hadn't taken place.  You've been told that this has placed you at the back of the SS credit queue.  This is inconsequential and need not worry you.  The consiequences of you having the credit was the right thing for you to do in your circumstances becasue it has had the effect of releasing the Amex credit you need.   If SS didn't at some point credit Amex with the amount you are owed because they claim and Amex agree that your refund isn't due and are still in business it is only then you have a problem. This clearly isn't going to happen. 

 

So my words to you is use your Amex for the treatment needed NOW and without delay and forget completely about this issue until something happens.  The most likely thing is that at some time in the future the SS credit will turn up.  You have nothing to worry about with respect to your Amex card and should focus your energies on the health challenge.   Amex are not going to charge you interest or anything and everything is going to work out fine.  There has been some meanderings with respect to a possible TA scam, but please don't worry about that.  If in the unlikely event that there is a TA scam then Amex will not reverse the credit they have made and you needn't worry about this.

 

Best wishes for your current issues .... but please stop worrying.  If you want to ask more about it then do post and I and others will try and help constructively.

 

Jeff  🙂

You are so kind and reassuring.  I assume you are right.  I have never had this happen to me.  Generally sail on Regent and they are prompt in circumstances like this.  I can't believe the attitude of Silversea.  Thanks a million.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Caroldoll said:

You are so kind and reassuring.  I assume you are right.  I have never had this happen to me.  Generally sail on Regent and they are prompt in circumstances like this.  I can't believe the attitude of Silversea.  Thanks a million.

 

Your thanks and peace of mind are more than enough!

 

You may find this difficult to believe, but in fact you did exactly the right thing and could not have done anything whatsoever better.  You put this on an Amex card who are probably  the safest in these circumstances and you got the cash back for you to use now by opening the dispute.  You could not have taken wiser steps.  You needed the cash now and clearly in your unique circumstances could not wait for the credit to simply arrive. 

 

For what it's worth, forget about your anger with SS.  Just focus on your husband's treatment and looking after him.  Every one of my instincts wants to reassure you that you need have no worry over this all sorting itself out. As hard as I try, I am unable to think of any set of circumstances where your Amex credit will not stand.  In time it will all sort out. So stop worrying.

 

The best of luck and wishes to you both.  Onwards and upwards!  Please let us know how thing go for you both as I'm sure many will be thinking of you both and have their fingers crossed. .

 

Jeff 🙂

Edited by UKCruiseJeff
Link to post
Share on other sites

I buy that.  Jeff is one "heck" of a guy!  I need someone to ground me.  He is right, I do have anger.  Mostly because I am worn out and there is no reason for them to put me through this.  I will survive, and thanks again to you all.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's a point of reference for refund timing.  Just over two weeks ago, I received a copy of the email Silversea sent our travel agent that the cash refund we demanded "has been processed today" but to allow additional time for the credit to post to our original method of payment due to volume of refunds.

 

The following day, I contacted insuremytrip.com and requested cancellation of our trip insurance and a refund (which they are not required to provide, but are nonetheless doing).  They indicated that it could take up to ninety (90) days to process due to the number of cancellations.  Today, the full refund from insuremytrip.com posted to my credit card.

 

So, Silversea cancels our sailing in mid-September.  No refund yet, Silversea says it may take up to 90 days, violating both the terms and conditions of their cancellation policy and US law.

 

I cancel travel insurance with insuremytrip.com sixteen days ago.  Despite being under no obligation to do so, they agree to cancel and refund my payment in full.  Received the full refund today.

 

The luxury brand that prides itself on excellence fails.  The travel insurance provider steps up and exceeds expectations and provides outstanding customer service.  Guess which company has earned my respect and my continued loyalty?

 

If I was in south Florida, I would seriously consider representing Silversea customers who have had delayed refunds.  While a class action would almost certainly be denied class certification due to the Silversea terms and conditions, individual lawsuits would likely be successful under the provisions of US law cited earlier.  And since each plaintiff would be able to recover a civil penalty of up to $1,000 plus court costs and attorneys' fees, the recovery of those court costs and attorneys' fees could make this a fruitful endeavor for both the customer and the attorney.  Perhaps I should rent a second residence in Miami and get busy!  😄

 

 

Edited by alexandria
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/2/2020 at 5:14 PM, TLCOhio said:

 

Appreciate your follow-up and good reminder.  Had called and left a phone message last Friday.    Been busy the past few days and did not heard back.  Called this am and got a quick follow-up call by the Congressman's staff member who works on the U.S. House Financial Services Committee issues.  She will be digging deeper.  I have her direct cell number.  As is happening in most private-sector offices, most House staff members are not in their offices and are working remotely from home.   She "gets it" for what we are seeking and hopefully I can post that added info next week.  

 

 

It has been a while since you expressed hope for details arriving last week.  I do not recall seeing any clarification.  You made firm assertions about the law regarding the posting of credit card refunds, based, you said, on a conversation with your Congressman, whose expertise you described.  You also made a sweeping assertion that cruise lines (presumably including SS) were playing a "shell game" if they said that there might be a delay in a credit's being posted.  This is a serious charge.  I would have imagined that a constituent who had access to his Congressman for detailed advice on this matter would by now have received the requested clarification.  Could we please have an update?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT: Azamara - We are back with New Greece Voyages
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with Barbara Muckermann, CMO Silversea Cruises
      • ICYM Our Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Explore the Remote World with Hurtigruten!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...