Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
jimbo5544

Outside groups call for better crew repatriation

The problem with it is that the government (and I am talking about different governments) simply dont know how to act and they are afraid of bringing the desease to the homeland. I totally understand them but these people have to be compensated for all difficulties they have to go through.. maybe their wages should be temporarily or permantly increased 

10 minutes ago, ObstructedView2 said:

And this means?

Good point.  I meant to say overdue, my bad. Talk to text during morning walk sometimes translates badly

47 minutes ago, Roger88 said:

The problem with it is that the government (and I am talking about different governments) simply dont know how to act and they are afraid of bringing the desease to the homeland. I totally understand them but these people have to be compensated for all difficulties they have to go through.. maybe their wages should be temporarily or permantly increased 

Everyone is struggling, inaction is no answer.  

8 minutes ago, ObstructedView2 said:

And this means?

This is the song I've been singing for a month or so here on CC, where merchant ship crews, not just cruise ship crews (who are the ones to get the headlines) are being prevented from crew changing.  While the cruise ship crew overdue for repatriation is dropping as the cruise lines send their ships or charter flights to get them home, the number of other merchant ship crews that are overdue is increasing by about 100,000 every month.  As more mariners reach their statutory maximum time on the ship, but without new crew to replace them, the ships will stop moving, and the 80% of the world's commerce that moves by sea will start to dry up, with consequences to the world economy.  The IMO and other international agencies are trying to get nations to designate mariners as essential personnel, and therefore exempt from travel restrictions.  This will benefit the cruise ship crews as well as all mariners.

Interestingly, the  USCG has designated merchant marine crew as essential workers, regardless of nationality, and the US is one of the few countries that do not severely restrict or outright ban ship crew changes, with the exception of cruise ship crews.  These crew, on a ship with a doctor and medical center, that have been under quarantine for more than a month, and very limited contact with shoreside personnel, have to meet far more strict travel requirements than a crew member who has been on a ship without a doctor or medical facilities, and who have been under only a limited quarantine, and may have been in contact with personnel in foreign ports as little as a couple of days before.

Just now, chengkp75 said:

This is the song I've been singing for a month or so here on CC, where merchant ship crews, not just cruise ship crews (who are the ones to get the headlines) are being prevented from crew changing.  While the cruise ship crew overdue for repatriation is dropping as the cruise lines send their ships or charter flights to get them home, the number of other merchant ship crews that are overdue is increasing by about 100,000 every month.  As more mariners reach their statutory maximum time on the ship, but without new crew to replace them, the ships will stop moving, and the 80% of the world's commerce that moves by sea will start to dry up, with consequences to the world economy.  The IMO and other international agencies are trying to get nations to designate mariners as essential personnel, and therefore exempt from travel restrictions.  This will benefit the cruise ship crews as well as all mariners.

Interestingly, the  USCG has designated merchant marine crew as essential workers, regardless of nationality, and the US is one of the few countries that do not severely restrict or outright ban ship crew changes, with the exception of cruise ship crews.  These crew, on a ship with a doctor and medical center, that have been under quarantine for more than a month, and very limited contact with shoreside personnel, have to meet far more strict travel requirements than a crew member who has been on a ship without a doctor or medical facilities, and who have been under only a limited quarantine, and may have been in contact with personnel in foreign ports as little as a couple of days before.

Well said