Canada bans cruise ships until 10/31

phoenix_dream

2 hours ago, Fouremco said:

I agree, no surprise at all. On the other hand, I think making and announcing the decision early makes a great deal more sense than waiting another month. This way, everyone from cruise lines to passengers know the ports will be closed and can plan accordingly. While I recognize that Celebrity has other (financial) reasons for doing so, its tactic of delaying cancelation announcements simply serves to frustrate customers.

EXACTLY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, harkinmr said:

It certainly wasn't a surprise to a number of other lines like Princess, HAL and Carnival.  They cancelled their Canada/New England sailings at the beginning of May.  Why did they see the writing on the wall and Royal Caribbean/Celebrity did not?  Can anyone say "cash flow"?

Cash flow AND resource management perhaps.  I was just reading that Royal Caribbean just hired back over a 100 laid off staff to help minimize long hold times ... if keeping calls at bay was part of the plan it seems it isn't working.  No win situation all around.

Edited by poffles
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jelayne said:

Wonder if the Sept TPS from Vancouver to Tokyo will have departure port changed or be cancelled.  About 25 days from final payment for us.

I don't see an even remote chance of that cruise happening. It's just too early for such a long cruise without knowing if whatever plans they will have in place will be adequate.

1 hour ago, phoenix_dream said:

Wondering if they'll try to reconfigure their east coast cruises to something else, stopping at the Bahamas or something to satisfy the maritime laws.  Not taking the chance for mine - didn't pay that much money for a fall colors cruise to end up in Nassau!  We'll be looking to shift to next year.

Way back when Canada announced the first port ban, Celebrity made itinerary changes on the Summit sailings to visit either Bermuda or Nassau. Our May 28th cruise became a two port cruise (Bar Harbor & Portand, ME) with two days sailing to Nassau, one half day in Nassau and two days sailing back. Thankfully, the entire cruise was cancelled. Celebrity has refunded all our $, we are now waiting for a refund check from Chase for the credit balance on the card. Even if "Lift & Shift" had been in place, our sailing wouldn't qualify since it was a 9 day itinerary which Celebrity does not offer next year. That said, we did place a deposit on the Sept 10, 2021 sailing out of Boston. We shall see.

Edited by DogLover
Typo

1 hour ago, npcl said:

For cruise ships?  After the Diamond Princess?  Probably not.

And don't forget the other cruise ship hot spot in Japan - 149 cases (crew) on the Costa Atlantica in Nagasaki...

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-japan-cruises/how-lax-rules-missed-warnings-led-to-japans-second-coronavirus-cruise-ship-hot-spot-idUSKBN22I3BJ

4 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

I don't see an even remote chance of that cruise happening. It's just too early for such a long cruise without knowing if whatever plans they will have in place will be adequate.

Good point. I don't think that there is a strong likelihood of any cruises in September, but if some do get the go ahead, they'll be short test sailings. I just don't see a TP happening that early, and I certainly wouldn't be aboard if it did.

2 hours ago, TMLAalum said:

Strange date for cruises out of Canada to be possibly permitted. Alaska & New England/Canada cruises that include a Canadian port are done for the season mid-October latest.

I think that's the objective. They don't want cruises coming in this year. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PEIpair said:

I agree.  But the pain is real for our little Island as well.

Of course. 😢 Please forgive me if I sounded aloof; I mentioned BC as that is where we live. I realize the entire country will not be receiving ships in the near future.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Langley Cruisers said:

Of course. 😢 Please forgive me if I sounded aloof; I mentioned BC as that is where we live. I realize the entire country will not be receiving ships in the near future.

As a fellow Canadian, we are hoping that when things start to open up we could look at doing some road trips and explore more of our beautiful country.  We have been to Vancouver once (not for a cruise) and to the Martimes several times.  We would happily return as well as visit some places we haven't yet seen.  Not sure whether we would be up for flying anytime soon so may come down to how far we are willing to drive once things open up and we feel safe.  We are retired so have lots of time on our hands.  Today we drove from our house in Aylmer, Quebec across the bridge to Ottawa to do a birthday parade for my 6 year old granddaughter.  A half hour drive and the furthest we have been since early March!!

I feel lucky to live in a country as beautiful as Canada and will happily spend more of my tourism dollars in my own country .

Stay safe all!

• Like 6

38 minutes ago, bebe08 said:

I feel lucky to live in a country as beautiful as Canada ...

Totally agree!  The only thing that could make it better would be a year round seasonably warm province ... that would be the icing!

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Prost Seattle said:

The Rocky Mountain Explorer train sounds appealing. 

I've watched programs on that and it certainly does look awesome.  Apparently not a cheap adventure though.

24 minutes ago, poffles said:

Totally agree!  The only thing that could make it better would be a year round seasonably warm province ... that would be the icing!

Is it true that in Winter south Florida becomes a province of Canada?

Edited by Orator
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

19 minutes ago, poffles said:

The place would be jam-packed!!

Maybe revisit that Turks and Caicos thing from a few years back?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Orator said:

Is it true that in Winter south Florida becomes a province of Canada?

LOL ... yes definitely.  They are what we refer to as snowbirds and many (at least from Eastern Canada) go there for the 'at most' 6 months we are allowed to be in the US (think it's related to taxes and such).  A true Caribbean warm Canadian province would be better as I would love to live there year round and would have moved there many years ago!

1 minute ago, poffles said:

LOL ... yes definitely.  They are what we refer to as snowbirds and many (at least from Eastern Canada) go there for the 'at most' 6 months we are allowed to be in the US (think it's related to taxes and such).  A true Caribbean warm Canadian province would be better as I would love to live there year round and would have moved there many years ago!

Arizona in general and specifically Yuma becomes crowded.  More BC and Alberta plates than Arizona.  One of the large RV resorts has about 2/3 Canadian owners.

37 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

The place would be jam-packed!!

Maybe revisit that Turks and Caicos thing from a few years back?

I remember that .. and I'd vote for that!  OH PLEASE  ... 🤩

5 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

If history serves, not until a month prior.  They want to retain as much $$ as they can, and they also can't administratively handle the volume of cancellations they are getting.

The early announcement by Canada may  really help those with refundable deposits. They  will not have to make a large final payment and be held in suspense by X.

Even those with Non refundable deposits  may be able to move their dates with minimal loss.

Interested to hear about U.S.Ports..starting to think Jan 2021 Connie from Tampa may be  just a wish!

Edited by hcat

15 minutes ago, poffles said:

Not all "snowbirds" are from Canada..

Lots of folks from all parts of the US and UK have seasonal homes or rent places for the "season". Always a nice mix in our Community!

7 minutes ago, hcat said:

Not all "snowbirds" are from Canada..

Lots of folks from all parts of the US and UK have seasonal homes or rent places for the "season". Always a nice mix in our Community!

Oh I didn't say ALL snowbirds were from Canada, just said that is how we refer to them.

We should definitely keep our border closed to Canadians.   It works both ways, if we kept it closed through the winter it might have the same impact to Canadians.  We like to go North in the summer and they like to go south in the winter.   Let both countries suffer!

• Like 1