The cruise-ship season in Canada is all but dead

eltigre

As a Canadian who lives a 2 minute drive from th U.S, border and who travels regularly to cross it, I absolutley do not want the border to the U.S. to open.  I also do not want the Quebec border to open.  I live in New Brunswick and am very upset at this irresponsible doctor who has endangered so many lives.  It has also made it so that we will probably not be able to see our 7 week old granddaughter any time soon.  If you look at the stats, yes we have many cases across this country as well but by far the majority are in central Canada.  Cruise ships for the most part do not travel to central Canada.  We don't need them to bring new cases to otherwise relatively safe places.

Just for the record we are supposed to be diembarking a b2b this morning.  We rescheduled for September, cancelled that and are now rescheduled for next September. I miss cruising, but I want all of us to be safe. 

• Like 2

On 5/31/2020 at 6:33 AM, jmcancruise said:

Cruise ships for the most part do not travel to central Canada. 

Only on their way to Cleveland, OH.  😉

(John Heald joke there.)

And there's just nowhere to park a ship in Winnipeg, especially around Portage and Main.  😉

(I consider Manitoba to be part of Central Canada, because, it's it in the center, eh?  Even though the official designation is that Central Canada is Ontario and Quebec.  Not sure how something that has a giant Fleuve to the Atlantic can be considered "Central".  But I digress.)

I was born in Canada, now reside in FL.  I have relatives all across Canada (as well as the rest of the world).  None of them are interested in going out for anything but the essentials.  As far as I know, none of them have come down with COVID-19, thank goodness.

Canada does rely a little on tourism, but as alluded to in a previous post, many Canadians are tourists in other countries, so if Canadians stay within Canada to travel, the net impact will be greatly reduced if borders remain closed.

However, as long as the numbers stay steady (which they seem to be, just had a big spike in deaths yesterday, while new cases remained relatively steady), Canadians are not likely to do any "elective" traveling.

I owe a visit to some close family up there, but I'm not going until the borders are open and I feel it is safe for me to do so - I don't want to be a vector.

Sigh.