Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
josephml1

Romantic Danube inside tips...

Recommended Posts

Hello everyone, I have read a lot about this ports but i am looking for some inside tips by experience travelers about what to do and do not miss on each of this ports.

 

Markets, special place, your favorite place, where to eat I am open to suggestions. 

 

 
 
Thank you all. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In Budapest...  make sure you visit the Grand Market.  The strudel stall is amazing...  If you are there a day or two before your cruise, I would suggest dinner at Café Kor.  

 

In Regensburg - try to make time to visit the Wurstkuchl - the Old Sausage Kitchen.  Besides sausages (either for a meal with sauerkraut, or on a bun as a snack) they sell mustard.  Very tasty. 

 

In Nuremberg - make sure you buy some of their Lebkuchen...  Lebkuchen are available throughout Europe - but the ones in Nuremberg (IMHO) are THE best...

 

Enjoy!!

 

Fran

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, franski said:

In Budapest...  make sure you visit the Grand Market.  The strudel stall is amazing...  If you are there a day or two before your cruise, I would suggest dinner at Café Kor.  

 

In Regensburg - try to make time to visit the Wurstkuchl - the Old Sausage Kitchen.  Besides sausages (either for a meal with sauerkraut, or on a bun as a snack) they sell mustard.  Very tasty. 

 

In Nuremberg - make sure you buy some of their Lebkuchen...  Lebkuchen are available throughout Europe - but the ones in Nuremberg (IMHO) are THE best...

 

Enjoy!!

 

Fran

Thank you very much Fran I am taking notes. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, josephml1 said:

Thank you very much

Honestly - I had never eaten veal and have stayed away from it. Though I thought, when in Vienna. I fell in love with this dish.

 

There is a dessert with torn pancakes with apples (and sauce) that I really like also. I think it is is called Kaiserschmarrn and it is Austrian.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, notamermaid said:

In Passau I loved Café am Stephansdom, but the Diwan belongs to the same family: https://www.greindl-passau.de/cafe-stephans-dom/

 

If you have got a sweet tooth make sure to visit the chocolate pralines workshop next to the café.

 

notamermaid

 

Thanks notamermaid

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Coral said:

Honestly - I had never eaten veal and have stayed away from it. Though I thought, when in Vienna. I fell in love with this dish.

 

There is a dessert with torn pancakes with apples (and sauce) that I really like also. I think it is is called Kaiserschmarrn and it is Austrian.

sound good, thanks for sharing. 

did you go on a river cruise?

 

We are going on Viking our first time there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, josephml1 said:

sound good, thanks for sharing. 

did you go on a river cruise?

 

We are going on Viking our first time there. 

I did a Crystal river cruise but had 2 days in Vienna ahead of time. Then we had 2 days in Vienna on the ship. The torn pancake dessert I tried at a Christmas market in Salzburg (part of river cruise) and loved it but I have seen it at German Restaurants in the US. So I had more time in Austria than you did.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, franski said:

In Budapest...  make sure you visit the Grand Market.  The strudel stall is amazing...  If you are there a day or two before your cruise, I would suggest dinner at Café Kor.  

 

In Regensburg - try to make time to visit the Wurstkuchl - the Old Sausage Kitchen.  Besides sausages (either for a meal with sauerkraut, or on a bun as a snack) they sell mustard.  Very tasty. 

 

In Nuremberg - make sure you buy some of their Lebkuchen...  Lebkuchen are available throughout Europe - but the ones in Nuremberg (IMHO) are THE best...

 

Enjoy!!

 

Fran

Thanks on the advice of the Grand market and the strudel my wife loves that dessert

 

did you go on a river cruise?

 

We are going on Viking our first time there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Coral said:

I did a Crystal river cruise but had 2 days in Vienna ahead of time. Then we had 2 days in Vienna on the ship. The torn pancake dessert I tried at a Christmas market in Salzburg (part of river cruise) and loved it but I have seen it at German Restaurants in the US. So I had more time in Austria than you did.

sound great How was your cristal river cruise?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, josephml1 said:

sound great How was your cristal river cruise?

It was perfect. It will spoil me for any other river cruise line.

 

I hope your river cruise is wonderful. The Danube trip is a great first river cruise. I hope you are able to do pre and post cruise stays to take advantage of the area. I wish I had spent more time there.

 

What month will you be there?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just a heads up, with the pandemic, I am hearing a lot of restaurants and cafes in Budapest now have "for sale/lease" signs on them.  Hopefully they will be ok, but be prepared not to find some listed as favourites.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/30/2020 at 2:36 PM, josephml1 said:

Thanks on the advice of the Grand market and the strudel my wife loves that dessert

 

did you go on a river cruise?

 

We are going on Viking our first time there. 

Hi - we have cruised Budapest to Nuremburg twice.  The first time was with AMA - where we had some days ahead in Budapest, and a few days in Prague at the end as part of the package.  The 2nd time was with Scenic - did Budapest on our own before we got on the boat - and stayed in Nuremberg for a few days after we got off.  

 

For the strudel stall - it is on the main floor... The strudel doesn't look like our strudel here - more filling than pastry.  They just cut a large piece and you wander and eat it.  My husband went traditional with apple - I had apricot & cheese...  If you want to bring paprika home, the market is a good place to buy it. No problem bringing it home - but you need to pack it in your luggage. 

 

The upstairs of the market is full of handicrafts - and it does have some restaurants. If you need to use the washroom while you are there, the one on the top floor is cheaper than the one on the main floor. 

 

So much to see in Budapest if you have the time...  the House of Terror, the Cave Church, the Hospital in the Rock, the Shoes on the Danube memorial.  Most tour companies will take you to Fisherman's Bastion, the Matthias Church,  Hero's Square - but there is so much to see other than that!!

 

Enjoy!!  We are scheduled to have a couple of days there in October - if Covid doesn't scuttle our plans...

 

Fran

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/31/2020 at 3:51 AM, Coral said:

Honestly - I had never eaten veal and have stayed away from it. Though I thought, when in Vienna. I fell in love with this dish.

 

 

There are two branches of Figlmuller in Vienna.  One of them only sells pork schnitzel, rather than veal, and the other has both.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, djh1959 said:

There are two branches of Figlmuller in Vienna.  One of them only sells pork schnitzel, rather than veal, and the other has both.

I did not know that. Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, djh1959 said:

There are two branches of Figlmuller in Vienna.  One of them only sells pork schnitzel, rather than veal, and the other has both.

Both Figlmuller branches are in very close proximity to each other ( about a 2 minute walk). The Backerstrasse location is the one that sells the wiener schnitzel (veal).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, djh1959 said:

There are two branches of Figlmuller in Vienna.  One of them only sells pork schnitzel, rather than veal, and the other has both.

 

and both are always very crowded.  at night there can be 100 people in line.  Th original was not even allowing a line when we were there in November

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, tfred said:

 

and both are always very crowded.  at night there can be 100 people in line.  Th original was not even allowing a line when we were there in November

Yes, there are long queues but we have experienced no problems as we have always made reservations. 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, dogs4fun said:

Yes, there are long queues but we have experienced no problems as we have always made reservations. 🙂

It is so good! A Vienna MUST!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/30/2020 at 6:00 PM, Coral said:

It was perfect. It will spoil me for any other river cruise line.

 

I hope your river cruise is wonderful. The Danube trip is a great first river cruise. I hope you are able to do pre and post cruise stays to take advantage of the area. I wish I had spent more time there.

 

What month will you be there?

We will be there this Oct, hope that the covid has come under control.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/31/2020 at 4:51 PM, franski said:

Hi - we have cruised Budapest to Nuremburg twice.  The first time was with AMA - where we had some days ahead in Budapest, and a few days in Prague at the end as part of the package.  The 2nd time was with Scenic - did Budapest on our own before we got on the boat - and stayed in Nuremberg for a few days after we got off.  

 

For the strudel stall - it is on the main floor... The strudel doesn't look like our strudel here - more filling than pastry.  They just cut a large piece and you wander and eat it.  My husband went traditional with apple - I had apricot & cheese...  If you want to bring paprika home, the market is a good place to buy it. No problem bringing it home - but you need to pack it in your luggage. 

 

The upstairs of the market is full of handicrafts - and it does have some restaurants. If you need to use the washroom while you are there, the one on the top floor is cheaper than the one on the main floor. 

 

So much to see in Budapest if you have the time...  the House of Terror, the Cave Church, the Hospital in the Rock, the Shoes on the Danube memorial.  Most tour companies will take you to Fisherman's Bastion, the Matthias Church,  Hero's Square - but there is so much to see other than that!!

 

Enjoy!!  We are scheduled to have a couple of days there in October - if Covid doesn't scuttle our plans...

 

Fran

 

 

 

 

we will be there in Oct this year too. Thanks for your advice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/29/2020 at 8:09 PM, josephml1 said:

Hello everyone, I have read a lot about this ports but i am looking for some inside tips by experience travelers about what to do and do not miss on each of this ports.

 

Markets, special place, your favorite place, where to eat I am open to suggestions. 

 

 
 
Thank you all. 

I assume that you are flying in a few days early prior to Budapest ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with the Quark Expeditions Team!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...