Is there one ship you'd love to cruise on?

sprint180

8 hours ago, slidergirl said:

I'm going a different direction here.  I'd LOVE to do a small luxury barge on a leisurely cruise on the French canals.  Lazy, good wine, good cheese, can walk or bike along the canal path.  This and a small yacht trip on Dalmatian Coast (could have been this September, but money and COVID squashed that) are my last 2 bucket list trips involving a boat. 

Great idea. We enjoyed a week on a barge on the UK Canals 3-years ago. Brilliant week, navigating by pubs. In France, rather than pubs we would use wineries.😀

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

I was fortunate to experience Royal Viking Lines and that was probably just as good.    

Once the old liners were gone, the Royal Viking ships were the nicest looking ships we passed or docked with.

• Like 1

Yes, the Hebridean Princess... twice chosen by the Queen to take all her family round the Scottish islands.

The enormous expense is a difficulty, but at least I has a week on board when she was a Cal Mac ferry in the '60s... 🤩 

4 hours ago, jocap said:

Yes, the Hebridean Princess... twice chosen by the Queen to take all her family round the Scottish islands.

The enormous expense is a difficulty, but at least I has a week on board when she was a Cal Mac ferry in the '60s... 🤩 

Thanks for posting this, as I wasn't aware she was originally CalMac tonnage.

Which route did she operate on? Unlikely I was on her, as we only ever used CalMac when heading over to Rothesay.

On 6/1/2020 at 5:14 AM, Heidi13 said:

Great idea. We enjoyed a week on a barge on the UK Canals 3-years ago. Brilliant week, navigating by pubs. In France, rather than pubs we would use wineries.😀

We hired a narrow boat on the Canal du Midi many years ago. A great holiday. The locks were fun - the lock keepers take no prisoners when they open the paddles!

• Like 1

I would love to do the Symphony of the Seas, or any RC Mega Ship. We've been wanting to do it for a while. It just hasn't worked out yet mostly due to itinerary. Prices are also kind of high for some of the bland itineraries too.

15 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Thanks for posting this, as I wasn't aware she was originally CalMac tonnage.

Which route did she operate on? Unlikely I was on her, as we only ever used CalMac when heading over to Rothesay.

She was just MacBraynes in those days, and did the route from Oban to Mull and across to the mainland opposite Tobermory. I think she began sailing in 1965 or 6, as Columba. She offered a week's "cruising"... a small coach took you from Glasgow and came on board, to take you to different sites each day, but you lived on board in the bunk-bedded cabins. I thought (and still think) it was one of the best ever cruises, so we did it again with MacBraynes to Skye and Harris.

Edited by jocap
old age
  • Thanks 1

CalMac ferry staff have been discovering stowaways on some of their ferries- hidden in the back of a van, and even in the boot of a car. 

Some are wanting to escape from the islands, and others are escaping to the islands from the mainland... 

2 hours ago, neverbeenhere said:

Titanic. 

Also might like to try a cargo ship cruise. Not for the “luxury”, just to try it. 

Titanic?  Lusitania?  Costa Concordia?  Yarmouth Castle?    I'll pass.  Prinsendam I?  None Were Lost as the author states, and I probably would have survived had I been a passenger.  But, it's a travel adventure that I would not have wanted to have.

A freighter trip?  Yes.  Very attractive.  Subscribed for decades to a publication/travel agency that published a magazine detailing their members experiences.  (I think they still do, but not in a hard copy form.)   Not realistic for me to consider now.  If one is able to do such a journey, I would encourage you to book such.    

23 hours ago, neverbeenhere said:

But think of the story you could concoct of your valiant efforts. 

Read the book.  Research the event.  My valiant efforts would have been directed to trying to keep alive.  No concoction of the story would have been required.  

• Haha 1

On ‎6‎/‎6‎/‎2020 at 2:52 PM, neverbeenhere said:

Titanic. 

Also might like to try a cargo ship cruise. Not for the “luxury”, just to try it. 

Apparently the Blue Star Line is building Titanic II, slated to be finished in 2022, although Covid 19 may stall that date. Nicole

1 hour ago, Noodles84 said:

Apparently the Blue Star Line is building Titanic II, slated to be finished in 2022, although Covid 19 may stall that date. Nicole

This is the project status according to Wikipedia -

"When the project was first announced in 2012, Palmer claimed that construction would begin before the end of the year, with a 2016 launch. The following year reports emerged that Clive Palmer was experiencing financial difficulties.[56][57] The start of construction was postponed to March 2014,[58] then to late 2014.[59] When construction had still not begun in 2015 a spokesman for Palmer said the project had merely been delayed, and that the new ship would be launched in 2018 - two years later than initially planned.[60] However Deltamarin had told an Australian Broadcasting Corporation journalist that work on the Titanic II project had been halted[61] while workers at the Chinese shipyard identified as the likely site of construction were highly skeptical that the project would ever move beyond the proposal stage[62] and the Blue Star Line trademark was "abandoned."[63] Queensland Nickel went bankrupt and Palmer faced freezing of personal assets to recoup money owed the company's employees and creditors.[64]

On September 27, 2018 the Blue Star Line, in a press release on their official web site, announced that work on the project would recommence.[65] In May 2019 a European maritime equipment consortium published a list of all cruise ships on order through 2027 but none of the listed vessels fit Deltamarin's specifications for Titanic II.[66] In a reply to a reader query on their website in May 2020, Deltamarin responded that the conceptual design had been sent to several shipyards for pricing.[67]"

Don't hold your breath.

DON

1 hour ago, donaldsc said:

This is the project status according to Wikipedia -

"When the project was first announced in 2012, Palmer claimed that construction would begin before the end of the year, with a 2016 launch. The following year reports emerged that Clive Palmer was experiencing financial difficulties.[56][57] The start of construction was postponed to March 2014,[58] then to late 2014.[59] When construction had still not begun in 2015 a spokesman for Palmer said the project had merely been delayed, and that the new ship would be launched in 2018 - two years later than initially planned.[60] However Deltamarin had told an Australian Broadcasting Corporation journalist that work on the Titanic II project had been halted[61] while workers at the Chinese shipyard identified as the likely site of construction were highly skeptical that the project would ever move beyond the proposal stage[62] and the Blue Star Line trademark was "abandoned."[63] Queensland Nickel went bankrupt and Palmer faced freezing of personal assets to recoup money owed the company's employees and creditors.[64]

On September 27, 2018 the Blue Star Line, in a press release on their official web site, announced that work on the project would recommence.[65] In May 2019 a European maritime equipment consortium published a list of all cruise ships on order through 2027 but none of the listed vessels fit Deltamarin's specifications for Titanic II.[66] In a reply to a reader query on their website in May 2020, Deltamarin responded that the conceptual design had been sent to several shipyards for pricing.[67]"

Don't hold your breath.

DON

"Don't hold your breath."  Titanic II is a fanciful dream of a "time that is long ago and far away".  2020 is showing to me that that "time long ago and far away" is increasing with each passing day.

As soon as Clive announced the idea...... you could see problems  Titanic II....

would it look the same from the outside.... same inside ??? I doubt Steerage...

The classes.....   I could never see it working..... at least it, could have a nice promenade deck....

Which Ship.... any which is sail out and back from our home port  would be fine....

Any of the high end line's ships in a suite would be nice......

Cheers Don

Somewhat off topic, but if I could turn back time, I would have LOVED to have sailed on the "Normandie".      Now...maybe one of the Virgin Voyages ships, either the "Scarlet Lady" or the "Valiant Lady".

Edited by marco

On 5/31/2020 at 3:33 PM, slidergirl said:

I'm going a different direction here.  I'd LOVE to do a small luxury barge on a leisurely cruise on the French canals.  Lazy, good wine, good cheese, can walk or bike along the canal path.  This and a small yacht trip on Dalmatian Coast (could have been this September, but money and COVID squashed that) are my last 2 bucket list trips involving a boat. 

Hi, there is a company called European Waterways and  they do these type of cruises. Check out their website. The boats hold between 8-20 people and it all looks really amazing to me as well.

Sailing through the canals..........I keep looking at them. Maybe in the next couple of years I will

really book one.

Lois R:  A couple of years ago we did take a barge cruise in France.  It moves VERY slowly and being a week on it, I don't think we were more than 60-70 miles outside of Paris, and it ended there with a week in that city. .  It was a WONDERFUL trip! 18 passengers and we stopped at all of the towns the French impressionists either painted or lived in and  local guides gave us an in depth tour of each place. I would do a barge cruise again.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, marco said:

Lois R:  A couple of years ago we did take a barge cruise in France.  It moves VERY slowly and being a week on it, I don't think we were more than 60-70 miles outside of Paris, and it ended there with a week in that city. .  It was a WONDERFUL trip! 18 passengers and we stopped at all of the towns the French impressionists either painted or lived in and  local guides gave us an in depth tour of each place. I would do a barge cruise again.

That sounds like something DW who is an elementary art teacher would love.

Was Arles one of the stops? We were supposed to take an excursion there but the cruise line cancelled the excursion as there was not enough interest. (And that was on a huge ship, the NCL Epic.)

1 hour ago, marco said:

Sounds AMAZING😀

9 hours ago, Lois R said:

Hi, there is a company called European Waterways and  they do these type of cruises. Check out their website. The boats hold between 8-20 people and it all looks really amazing to me as well.

Sailing through the canals..........I keep looking at them. Maybe in the next couple of years I will

really book one.

There is also another company that I've looked at, too.  I have to find a Sugar Daddy to finance it, though...