Cruise Critic Community
Couple-Somerset

Buffet Replaced with Smart Phone / Kiosks ??

With all the talk about buffets going or staying, how would you feel if Windjammer was replaced by a phone app (or kiosk) order and counter collect service similar to fast food outlets. Perhaps they could even franchise in KFC, McD, Taco, etc onboard (together with the more healthy alternatives).

Again, one way for the cruiseline to improve revenue would be the add-ons or upgrades which guests can choose to buy or not.

That way portion control better serves the cruise line (and they certainly need it now), daily specials are easy to offer and the majority of "handling" is removed.

What do you guys think?

Remember, its just a forum discussion here, nobody is suggesting we kill granny, so keep it civil lol

5 minutes ago, Couple-Somerset said:

With all the talk about buffets going or staying, how would you feel if Windjammer was replaced by a phone app (or kiosk) order and counter collect service similar to fast food outlets. Perhaps they could even franchise in KFC, McD, Taco, etc onboard (together with the more healthy alternatives).

Again, one way for the cruiseline to improve revenue would be the add-ons or upgrades which guests can choose to buy or not.

That way portion control better serves the cruise line (and they certainly need it now), daily specials are easy to offer and the majority of "handling" is removed.

What do you guys think?

Remember, its just a forum discussion here, nobody is suggesting we kill granny, so keep it civil lol

Had not thought of that. It might work. Food trucks do it, you order ahead and the food is waiting for you.

However, RCCL is not known for having great apps and websites. 🙂

7 minutes ago, Couple-Somerset said:

What do you guys think?

RCI will not solve the current short term issue with an IT solution.

5 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

RCI will not solve the current short term issue with an IT solution.

Nope. I do not want to be subjected to machines to eat and I don't want franchises to invade a vacation. And to be nickel and dimed to death for food choices--yes choices😒.

I enjoy disconnecting as much as possible and do not want to have to carry a phone around to order my food. 

Most of my clothes I wear on cruises do not have pockets and never carry or use a purse on cruises.  And i dont want to worry about constantly cleaning that too!  

Nope, not for me. I don’t eat McD, KFC etc. Nor do I want to have to pay extra. I am sure they will work something out. 

Posted (edited)

Strongly agree with the above replies.

Edited by goldfish65

If I have to rely on an app to get my food I'm in DEEP S----  I'm pretty tech challenged😇

On the other hand I'll be one of the few coming home 10 lbs lighter

My phone will be in the safe.  I also have reservations because of the number of times I have looked at the name of the food and then at the food, and can’t fathom why it was labeled by that name.  It is interesting when it happens in person, but I wouldn’t be pleased to notice the disparity when it is on my plate.

Our phones stay in the safe as well, only coming out for spectacular sunsets from our balcony.  We agree with so many here; we are on vacation and after paying a tidy sum for it, do NOT want to be nickled a

nd dimed.

If McD's can't get my order right then I won't hold my breath that RCI will get my order right. 

I haven’t eaten fast food in years so that definitely wouldn’t work for me.  I also keep my phone in the safe and have no desire to carry it around on a ship.  We cruise to relax and escape!

24 minutes ago, Zeashore said:

Our phones stay in the safe as well, only coming out for spectacular sunsets from our balcony. 

We take our phones as we use them for pictures and navigation in the ports. 

Not interested. I'm not a fan... I won't say I don't eat fast-food but I try to avoid it.  Sometimes my schedule demands it but don't really want that on a cruise. I want the buffet to continue as it always has except with crew serving up the food.  I love the awesome variety that you get with a buffet.  A franchised fast-food outlet, even one I like, has limited variety.

I think that idea would be a total recipe for disaster.  Can you just imagine how hundreds...thousands of passengers trying to text or send in an order via app?  If it was like McDonalds, you just pull forward from the drive through and wait for them to get the order right.  Multiply that by 1,000.

Nah.

Not everyone uses their smartphones (or even has one) every day on a cruise.  

Haven't eaten in a chain restaurant in over 10 years, thankfully.  Doubt that I would pay cruise prices to do it there.

Not going happen. At min change be Servers putting food on your plate, at most Waiters at Tables with menus. Wind Jammer isnt going anywhere and any changes are temporary

The last thing I want to eat on a cruise is a Big Mac or KFC, much less have to pay for it. No Way!

Posted (edited)

Nahhhh .. bad idea.   Besides .. kiosks with touch screens = lotsa germs.   People crowding each other to get at the kiosks ,.. also not good idea.     

Cruising will def. look different once it resumes, but this idea (esp the garbage fast food options) gets a no from me!

Edited by F27TW

39 minutes ago, ONECRUISER said:

Not going happen. At min change be Servers putting food on your plate, at most Waiters at Tables with menus. Wind Jammer isnt going anywhere and any changes are temporary

Exactly - except for the 'waiters at tables with menus' -  that's not going to happen in the Windjammer.  People may as well eat in the MDR for that.  Just like the servers at the meat carving stations, I see more serving of food at each station so people don't help themselves.  Other than that, not much is going to change.  We were required to wash our paws before entering the Wind Jammer and that will also be enforced.  Don't expect guests to be wearing masks or social distancing any where on a ship.

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Diver2014 said:

Exactly - except for the 'waiters at tables with menus' -  that's not going to happen in the Windjammer.  People may as well eat in the MDR for that.  Just like the servers at the meat carving stations, I see more serving of food at each station so people don't help themselves.  Other than that, not much is going to change.  We were required to wash our paws before entering the Wind Jammer and that will also be enforced.  Don't expect guests to be wearing masks or social distancing any where on a ship.

Actually when I started Cruising Royal Wind Jammer had Food already on plates to PU, which is what do during outbreaks. Cafeteria Style Then during Waiters/Menus were used during Dinner Time, even had table clothes and candles then. Any more limited then that, Ships wont be Cruising. Many Rest around the Country that have recently opened are using Menus that are paper and disposable

Edited by ONECRUISER

Part of the fun in Windjammer is the option to take a tiny amount of many different dishes.  That wouldn't work in a kiosk/phone order world.

I'm not in denial though.  I realize that the old days of buffet won't be back for a long time, if ever.  People, myself included, have to realize that the buffet will not be the same going forward.  It will be something "less".

Personally I love Apps. They have made life so much easier in the world of declining fast food employees. When I walk into a restaurant such as Panera Bread and I see a line I go right to the kiosk or order off of the app on my phone. Many times my food is prepared before the people who are standing in line waiting to order. I would welcome this in the buffet. I wouldn't have to stand in line behind someone deciding what they wanted to put on their plate or special order. I would love to just pick up my order and find a place to sit. I think this pandemic has actually forced people who wouldn't purchase online, use self checkout or order food from an App to get over their fears. My only issue is Royal Caribbean has the worst technology when it comes to the simplest things such as booking a cruise. I don't think they would be able to pull off a food service App.