Cruise Critic Community
Couple-Somerset

Buffet Replaced with Smart Phone / Kiosks ??

4 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I enjoy disconnecting as much as possible and do not want to have to carry a phone around to order my food. 

+ 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Couple-Somerset said:

With all the talk about buffets going or staying, how would you feel if Windjammer was replaced by a phone app (or kiosk) order and counter collect service similar to fast food outlets. Perhaps they could even franchise in KFC, McD, Taco, etc onboard (together with the more healthy alternatives).

Again, one way for the cruiseline to improve revenue would be the add-ons or upgrades which guests can choose to buy or not.

That way portion control better serves the cruise line (and they certainly need it now), daily specials are easy to offer and the majority of "handling" is removed.

What do you guys think?

Remember, its just a forum discussion here, nobody is suggesting we kill granny, so keep it civil lol

Sounds horrible to me.  We rarely visit the WJ  and this would seal the deal!   The rarely would be NEVER!   I would hate the concept. 

M

Edited by cruisegirl1

We cruise a lot......we eat at fast food places on land.....we eat every meal in the Windjammer. Just so ya'll know. So many comments on here about the Windjammer are from people that say they rarely ,if ever, eat there.

Having sad that, the last thing I will ever do on a cruise is carry a phone around. I also have a terrible time trying to order my food from a kiosk. I therefore do not like the idea at all. I do give the O.P. extra points for offering a novel solution.

Doug

5 hours ago, Couple-Somerset said:

Perhaps they could even franchise in KFC, McD, Taco, etc onboard (together with the more healthy alternatives).

I don't eat that garbage on land, I don't want it on a cruise.  

The thing I like about the buffet is the variety, try this ,try that ,mix the wrong foods.

Sounds like a suggestion of a food hall.No thanks.

Posted (edited)

What happens when you forget to order a piece of bread?  Or some dressing for your salad?  Or a cookie?  Do you have to then place and wait for another order?

Edited by time4u2go

Buffet is the best thing you can imagine on board. The key word here is "Variety". You can always pick what you want or mix all the things together and you basically have unlimited access to it any time of a day. I doubt they will ever go anywhere. Buffets are nice 

So much hate for fast food and using cell phones.

I'd kill for a true Chic fil A sandwich in WJ.

Or a Pizza Hut pizza

A Wendy's buger, hot McDonalds fries

A burrito supreme from Taco Bell

In my extensive cruise experience the Jammer can't come close to replicating any of those.  With the exception of the evening stir fry on Harmony and Symphony,  the food just sux.

Cold, tasteless, boring. And that's being nice. 😉

A mall style food court would be awesomeness 

And as far as cell phones, almost everyone I run into is using one or a tablet.

Our last cruise (Feb), during the boat drill, the leader insisted ALL cell phones be put in 'silent' mode...I didn't comply, as I refused to drive back to Tampa just to flip some stupid switch on my phone while I was off on a cruise.

Absolutely won't use a kiosk.  Too dirty.  Refuse to use them in any fast food restaurant.  Definitely not using them on board.

1st & 2 nd rules of business 101

1) NEVER SPEND MONEY UNLESS IT IS ABSOLUTELY 100% NECESSARY.

2) REMEMBER Rule #1

The WJ will simply be a buffet. They are NOT going to refit 30 ships with expensive unnecessary tech. When all that will change is the crew will dish out the food.  Just like when Noro breaks out. Maybe perhaps extra sneeze guards that only open facing the servers.  Don’t complicate the simple.

later. Please hold the thank you’s for only after i’am proven right yet again.

58 minutes ago, bucfan2 said:

Our last cruise (Feb), during the boat drill, the leader insisted ALL cell phones be put in 'silent' mode...I didn't comply, as I refused to drive back to Tampa just to flip some stupid switch on my phone while I was off on a cruise.

OK, I Read that 3x before it sunk in.  😂 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, John&LaLa said:

Or a Pizza Hut pizza

In my extensive cruise experience the Jammer can't come close to replicating any of those.  With the exception of the evening stir fry on Harmony and Symphony,  the food just sux.

Were you able to watch SpaceX take-off on Saturday ?  You must have had a great view. 

Love your cute dog , Bella ! 

You can get all the take-out you want on land .  Soliciting comments which I think some people’s purpose is on here. I don’t mean you . 

The remedy to inferior food is cruising on premium cruise lines.  

Edited by NHProud

we were on the Allure crossing together but I guess we didnt run accross each other because we dont carry phones or tablets.

Doug

1 hour ago, jalves said:

Absolutely won't use a kiosk.  Too dirty.  Refuse to use them in any fast food restaurant.  Definitely not using them on board.

Try a stylus

2 minutes ago, spunks said:

we were on the Allure crossing together but I guess we didnt run accross each other because we dont carry phones or tablets.

Doug

Big ship, small circle. 😉

FWIW, sharing multi access codes was big business on the roll call 

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, NHProud said:

Were you able to watch SpaceX take-off on Saturday ?  You must have had a great view. 

Love your cute dog , Bella ! 

You can get all the take-out you want on land .  Soliciting comments which I think some people’s purpose is on here. I don’t mean you . 

The remedy to inferior food is cruising on premium cruise lines.  

Yes, had a great view of the launch, but she went behind a cloud about 2 minutes into flight.

For some strange reason,  I always crave Chick fill A on Sunday. Those sandwiches can last about 30 minutes in those foil bags. Genius. Now the grilled chicken sandwich in CK for lunch is better in some ways than Chick fill A, but only a few people can get that.

The jammer used to be better, or I have a lousy memory. 

Edited by John&LaLa

Won't work for me. If I order a lot of bacon, I can guarantee you that what they think is a lot is much less than what I think it is.  🙂

21 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Yes, had a great view of the launch, but she went behind a cloud about 2 minutes into flight.

For some strange reason,  I always crave Chick fill A on Sunday. Those sandwiches can last about 30 minutes in those foil bags. Genius. Now the grilled chicken sandwich in CK for lunch is better in some ways than Chick fill A, but only a few people can get that.

The jammer used to be better, or I have a lousy memory. 

I’ve never had a Chick-fil-A or eaten in CK .  I carry an iPhone on-board for pics .  Ordering on one in WJ would be mass chaos especially on embarkation day .  I like the WJ because of the variety. The MDR is repetitious.   

You are in such a terrific location . Lucky you and Laura.  

9 hours ago, molly361 said:

I'm pretty tech challenged😇

Well you and RCI certainly have something in common.

3 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Or a Pizza Hut pizza

So I pretty much disagree with your entire post except the last 17 words.😐

5 hours ago, spunks said:

We cruise a lot......we eat at fast food places on land.....we eat every meal in the Windjammer. Just so ya'll know. So many comments on here about the Windjammer are from people that say they rarely ,if ever, eat there.

Having sad that, the last thing I will ever do on a cruise is carry a phone around. I also have a terrible time trying to order my food from a kiosk. I therefore do not like the idea at all. I do give the O.P. extra points for offering a novel solution.

Doug

I am one of those who don't eat at WJ. I'm not one who has to try every item and I pretty much have my go to choices. I don't like the entire process of combing the area and walking station to station.  If I could order from an App even if they didn't offer the entire buffet choices I would probably get food and carry it out to my lounge chair or balcony. No way  would I be ordering from a fast food franchise. I won't even order at Johnny Rockets. My phone stays by my side since I purchase surf and stream plus it's my camera. If social distancing is going to be a requirement I will need to listen to music or play a game.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

I couldn't agree more.  The desserts taste like wax on every cruise line. In the past I just ate it not to be wasteful but now I'm over it.  The kids in the third world countries will still be starving whether I eat it or not.   I eat the fruit and a salad  and maybe some cheese.

Edited by Iamcruzin

10 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

I am one of those who don't eat at WJ. I'm not one who has to try every item and I pretty much have my go to choices. I don't like the entire process of combing the area and walking station to station.  

That is actually one of the aspects of the Windjammer that find very appealing. I have trouble sitting still for very long. I like getting up from the table and walking around to see if there is something else that I want to try. Sometimes I even leave something that I want just so I'll have a reason to get up again. I guess that is at least part of why the MDR does not work for me.