I understand that many policies do not have any restriction regarding pre existing medical conditions if the policy is purchased very close to the initial deposit date.  Many who have had cancer continue to under go regular appointments with their oncologist for potentially years after their cancer was "declared" in remission or cured.  These follow up visits also include additional specialized scans to ensure that there are no signs of cancers recurrence.  Are these visits and continued evaluations something that would equate with a disease not being present when a policy is purchased or would an insurance company, if a claim is made, decline the claim as they could say that the person had been under medical care all along.

Thanks.

12 hours ago, FlightMedic555 said:

I understand that many policies do not have any restriction regarding pre existing medical conditions if the policy is purchased very close to the initial deposit date.  Many who have had cancer continue to under go regular appointments with their oncologist for potentially years after their cancer was "declared" in remission or cured.  These follow up visits also include additional specialized scans to ensure that there are no signs of cancers recurrence.  Are these visits and continued evaluations something that would equate with a disease not being present when a policy is purchased or would an insurance company, if a claim is made, decline the claim as they could say that the person had been under medical care all along.

Thanks.

Hi FlightMedic555,

This answer (all my answers) only applies to US Residents. I have a page on my website that covers Pre-Existing Medical Conditions in greater detail at:

https://tripinsurancestore.com/how-travel-insurance-pre-existing-medical-conditions-coverage-works/

> Are these visits and continued evaluations something that would equate with a disease not being present when a policy is purchased or would an insurance company, if a claim is made, decline the claim as they could say that the person had been under medical care all along.

If the person who bought the policy met all the requirements to have the Waiver of the Pre-Existing Medical Condition Exclusion, the subsequent followups and visits will not count against them.

I hope this made sense,

Steve

12 hours ago, broberts said:

I suspect that only the policy issuer can accurately answer the question. Certainly it depends on the particular policy.

Hi broberts,

Canadian travel insurance companies define a Pre-Existing Medical Condition completely different from a USA travel insurance company. Your response is correct for a Canadian travel insurance company.

Steve