Jump to content

New Regent Protocols as of 1 June 2020


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Pcardad said:

 

Yep...I read it. I also spoke to a member of the Sr. management team who indicated it might not be needed based on outside requirements that may not be the same as they were before. Like I said, no fact...just an idea floating around. Would you prefer I not share anything without documentation?

 

I did not quote your post; I was replying to FrequentFloater333; I would never question the veracity of your inside knowledge; I was just reposting what Regent has posted.

 

Marc

Link to post
Share on other sites

I quoted yours as my reply was far down down the thread that I wanted to make sure I was on topic. I doubt what I hear sometimes, nothing wrong with that. I suspect that sometimes the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing. But think it usually turns out to be accuratre info....in a very general sense, not so sure about this one.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/3/2020 at 4:36 PM, Ladys Mom said:

As far as wearing a mask in the lounge or dining rooms, there are restaurants and bars all over the country (if not the world) experimenting with ways to keep guests safe while allowing them to eat and drink in peace.  Some of these solutions can carry over to a cruise ship, such as social distancing.  Others are the use of masks and gloves for the wait staff.  It may not be the most comfortable thing for everyone but safety comes first.  Where cruisers will need to be extra vigilant is one shore excursions.  Not every port will be pristinely clean nor will its residents observe social distancing.  This is where it is incumbent on cruise lines to make decisions about modifying itineraries or shore excursions themselves.  We also all are adults.  We need to look out for ourselves and for others.  If you are not feeling well, stay in your cabin.  JMHO

 

two of my areas of concern are:

Excursions.  Being on a bus or in a van for 5 hours is a guaranteed way to transmit any disease, even if there are only two people in the van.

Tendering:  Will be just as dangerous as excursions.

 

As long as Covid exists there will be major risks in cruising.  There are plenty of people who will be willing to take the risk.  For examples look at our crowded beaches.  Memorial day weekend in Sedona,   where we live,  saw 91% occupancy in our hotels and packed restaurants.

 

I don't think Regent will operate their ships less than full.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Another thing comes to mind.  Excursions take passengers to popular sites on shore many of which involve crowds.  How do you prevent passengers from getting infected with Covid while on an excursion?  You can't test for it or prevent it.  You may not even know about the infection for a week or more and by then half the ship may be infected.

 

Joel

Link to post
Share on other sites

In my opinion, all Regent can do in tenders and buses is to require masks and make sure they can do social distancing.  It may take more tenders to get people ashore but they will be safe.  A key for us is to be aware of what we are touching.  To enter a bus  we typically use the rail to help us get up the stairs and touch the seatbelt and areas around us.  For that scenario, we will use wipes like we do on airplanes.  For tenders, we will be assisted to get onto the tender and many times have to hold on to things to be able to stand up (in rougher seas).  I will wear gloves and have hand sanitizers with me 100% of the time.  Having done this mask/gloves/eye covering "thing" for a while now, we are accustomed to it.  Not everyone wears gloves but I prefer them and disinfect them while I'm wearing them (after touching groceries, etc.). When I do remove them, I have clean hands.  It is likely a good idea to bring a small bar of soap to keep with you as well.

 

I don't think that there will be big crowds in most ports and I have already checked to see what the protocols are for some of our upcoming cruises (understanding that protocols probably will differ between now and when we cruise in November).  In any case, if there are crowds, I will avoid the areas (and will wear a medical grade mask - they should be available by then).

 

Another concern is now facing all of us.  We all want a vaccine but may have concerns about long term effects.  This was brought up on another thread where our Regent board official doctor ("Rachel") chimed in.  I asked her if she would be getting the vaccine a soon as it becomes available - especially since, as a doctor, she will be eligible to be amongst the first people eligible to get it.  She is going to wait a bit.  This gave me pause and I wonder if I want to be amongst the first of the guinea pigs to get the vaccine (aside from the people participating in the trials). I think I'll start a thread on this subject.  It will be interesting to learn how others feel about this topic.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

How will you get your fellow passengers to wear masks when they're off the ship?  Your mask won't help you when you're in a tour bus or tender or in a crowd.  There will be no "social distancing."

 

  There were 1500 new cases in Arizona yesterday.

 

We've been on over 75 cruises and at least 1000  excursions. Most have been to areas with lots of other tourists.  Venice, Italy, Istanbul Bazaar, and too many to mention are typical.

 

 

47 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

In my opinion, all Regent can do in tenders and buses is to require masks and make sure they can do social distancing.  It may take more tenders to get people ashore but they will be safe.  A key for us is to be aware of what we are touching.  To enter a bus  we typically use the rail to help us get up the stairs and touch the seatbelt and areas around us.  For that scenario, we will use wipes like we do on airplanes.  For tenders, we will be assisted to get onto the tender and many times have to hold on to things to be able to stand up (in rougher seas).  I will wear gloves and have hand sanitizers with me 100% of the time.  Having done this mask/gloves/eye covering "thing" for a while now, we are accustomed to it.  Not everyone wears gloves but I prefer them and disinfect them while I'm wearing them (after touching groceries, etc.). When I do remove them, I have clean hands.  It is likely a good idea to bring a small bar of soap to keep with you as well.

 

I don't think that there will be big crowds in most ports and I have already checked to see what the protocols are for some of our upcoming cruises (understanding that protocols probably will differ between now and when we cruise in November).  In any case, if there are crowds, I will avoid the areas (and will wear a medical grade mask - they should be available by then).

 

Another concern is now facing all of us.  We all want a vaccine but may have concerns about long term effects.  This was brought up on another thread where our Regent board official doctor ("Rachel") chimed in.  I asked her if she would be getting the vaccine a soon as it becomes available - especially since, as a doctor, she will be eligible to be amongst the first people eligible to get it.  She is going to wait a bit.  This gave me pause and I wonder if I want to be amongst the first of the guinea pigs to get the vaccine (aside from the people participating in the trials). I think I'll start a thread on this subject.  It will be interesting to learn how others feel about this topic.

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

It is possible, but by no means guaranteed and maybe not even likely, that the usual crowded conditions seen in the past will be much less so.  Maybe the only tourists there will be the crazy ones who think they are invincible.  I have to count myself in that category, since I just made the final payment on a Regent cruise scheduled for this October.  However, I still think there is probably less than 50-50 chance my cruise will actually sail.  If it does, I plan on wearing a mask on the tenders and buses, making liberal use of hand sanitizer, and maybe not doing all the excursions I have planned.

 

I agree with SedonaJoel that many people will ignore social distancing and not wear masks.  Mixing with a crowd of such people will definitely increase one's risk of catching any contagious disease.

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, SusieQft said:

 

I agree with SedonaJoel that many people will ignore social distancing and not wear masks.  Mixing with a crowd of such people will definitely increase one's risk of catching any contagious disease.

 

It is my hope and belief that masks and distancing will be "required" (not suggested) for Regent cruisers.  There is too much at stake not to.  If a passenger cannot follow protocols, they should be disembarked at the next port (after being quarantined).  

 

This is the most serious issue that has ever been faced by cruise lines.  It is better to lose a customer than a life.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hotels and cruise lines have similar attitudes toward their guests.  They generally will not do anything to create an awkward situation.  I doubt that they will throw anyone off their ship for not properly wearing a mask.  Wearing a mask is not a substitute for social distancing.

 

as far as your October booking.  I would check the web for information about the ports on your itinerary as to whether they are open to cruise ships.  Many are not.

 

Joel

 

 

52 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

 

It is my hope and belief that masks and distancing will be "required" (not suggested) for Regent cruisers.  There is too much at stake not to.  If a passenger cannot follow protocols, they should be disembarked at the next port (after being quarantined).  

 

This is the most serious issue that has ever been faced by cruise lines.  It is better to lose a customer than a life.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, SedonaJoel said:

as far as your October booking.  I would check the web for information about the ports on your itinerary as to whether they are open to cruise ships.  Many are not.

It is a round trip out of LA via Mexico.  Either Mexico will be open or it won't be.  The same goes for LA, for that matter.  I can drive there, so at least I don't have to worry about flight tickets.  Time will tell.  Regent will give me some nice perks in return for my money if it does not sail, but I hope it does. 

 

A few days ago 80% of the cabins were booked, and at least one person posted here that they booked it after I looked.  We are still before final payment, which was June for me but I think July for at least some others (???).  I plan to recheck the occupancy after the final payment date(s) to see how many new cancellations they have, but it looks like they won't have any problem filling the ship to more than might be comfortable for social distancing.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I will not wear a mask onboard a ship.  I will wear one on a plane if it is required.  I will wear on a bus if required (although that is silly); I will not wear one for entire excursion.  I hate those masks.

 

Marc

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SusieQft said:

It is possible, but by no means guaranteed and maybe not even likely, that the usual crowded conditions seen in the past will be much less so.  Maybe the only tourists there will be the crazy ones who think they are invincible.  I have to count myself in that category, since I just made the final payment on a Regent cruise scheduled for this October.  However, I still think there is probably less than 50-50 chance my cruise will actually sail.  If it does, I plan on wearing a mask on the tenders and buses, making liberal use of hand sanitizer, and maybe not doing all the excursions I have planned.

 

I agree with SedonaJoel that many people will ignore social distancing and not wear masks.  Mixing with a crowd of such people will definitely increase one's risk of catching any contagious disease.

 

My attitude is similar to yours, Suzie.  I just made the final payment on my October 29, 2020 cruise from LA to Miami around South America (68 days on the Mariner).  I suspect this cruise will be canceled given the situation in South America, but I booked it almost 2 yrs ago and I was able to use a portion of the FCC awarded as a result of the truncated 2020 World Cruise for the final payment (so no additional cash outlay).  If it's canceled, I can reuse the FCC to apply to either of the two additional booked cruises (2021 and 2022).

 

I have a progressive medical condition that will kill me eventually if I don't succumb to a heart attack or stroke first.  I have a choice: 1) wait to travel until there's a surefire vaccine available and risk the possibility that by the time that happens, my condition will have progressed to the point where travel is impossible; or 2) take a calculated risk to travel while I'm still able physically to do so with the understanding that even with all efforts on my part as well as the ship's part to mitigate that risk, there's a possibility that I'll contract the virus.  I'm choosing travel.  If the Mariner sails in October, I'll be on it.  

 

Everyone will have to make whatever decision best suits themselves and their circumstances weighing the relative risks of available options.  I'm normally not much of a risk-taker, but in this case, I'm willing to take the chance.

 

Lana in Bellingham, WA

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SedonaJoel said:

Hotels and cruise lines have similar attitudes toward their guests.  They generally will not do anything to create an awkward situation.  I doubt that they will throw anyone off their ship for not properly wearing a mask.  Wearing a mask is not a substitute for social distancing.

 

as far as your October booking.  I would check the web for information about the ports on your itinerary as to whether they are open to cruise ships.  Many are not.

 

Joel

 

 

 

 

Passengers have been put off of the ship for not adhering to the smoking policy. in my opinion, not wearing a mask if it is “required” is worse than sneaking a cigarette in your suite (although I am 1000% against smoking in suites).

 

Agree that Regent does not want to cause any awkward situation, however, in this case it is not only a matter of life or death but it could affect their ability to continue cruising.

 

BTW, last week I saw a test on television (that may or may not be accurate - I tend to disbelieve most of what I read regarding Covid-19) about 6’ distancing.  While talking at 6’ apart probably works, sneezes and coughs go beyond 6’.  

 

Those of us with cruises booked for this year are prepared to wear the dreaded mask (definitely uncomfortable but necessary)  I’ve purchased a few masks now that they are available everywhere.  I found one with two layers fabric plus replaceable filters that is fairly comfortable.  In fact, I plan on redoing my avatar with a photo of me in a mask (with a cute saying on it).  As mentioned, if we are going ashore or on a tender, we will wear medical grade masks.

 

For us, it is either following protocols or staying home.  I admire what Lana is doing.  In our case, due to age, our cruising future is limited and I sure the heck won’t spend more time sitting at home.

 

If Regent does not insist on following the rules, they will be in trouble with the CDC as well as many passengers.  No one wants to risk their lives over something as silly not wanting to wear masks.  If a passenger does not want to wear a mask, they can sit in their suites (or can stay home and wait until that requirement is no longer necessary).

 

Joel, sorry if it sounds like I am ranting against you as that is not my intention.  I rarely get angry but anyone wanting to cruise on Regent without wearing a mask (if required) makes me furious.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have an interesting reverse type of question. I do believe that some are so hell bent on cruising that they WILL follow the protocols in whatever form they take. I also think that the rules may be unenforceable and impossible if it gets to the point of putting people off the ship. If one cabin occupant refuses to comply, do they both get the boot? My question is, if Regent is unwilling or unable to enforce these stringent rules, could you demand to disembark at their expense out of personal safety fears? There could be so many incident by incident infractions that the whole cruise might end up being miserable. I imagine it could turn into a legal nightmare.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/2/2020 at 2:40 PM, Ladys Mom said:

Suzie, I understand your point of view.  But let us look at the history of Covid-19 on cruise ships.  To the best of our knowledge there were no cases on any Regent ships. There were only a couple of cases on any non-Carnival (the company) ships.  That suggests that prior to all of the stringent changes that are being proposed by NCL, the chances of getting the virus while on a Regent ship seem small, at least to me.  Now that NCL is aware of the hot spots around the world, on a daily basis, they will endeavor to avoid those ports even if it means a change of itinerary.

I for one do not want to wait until there is a vaccine that they are willing to give to people over 70.  I suspect we will be the bottom of the queue.  I would rather take my chances with masks, gloves, hand sanitizer, and wipes, and see the world.  Staying cooped up in one's house, no matter how nice, is not the way I want to spend my active senior years.

Most physicians I talk to feel that there will be a vaccine by late this year, 2020 and that the medical staff of all hospitals, physicians, etc. will be first, and then it will work its way down age wise, the oldest first.  I firmly believe that they will have one by the end of the year, albeit it may require two injections.  Human testing is now under way.  They are not likely to drag this one out.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, giustot said:

I admire all of you willing to take a cruise where you are required to wear a mask every time you leave your cabin.  All 10 of you!

Where we live we are required to wear a mask every day when outside in every situation where you can not maintain 6'.  All stores require masks as well.  I simply do not understand why people are not willing to wear a mask?

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

 

Passengers have been put off of the ship for not adhering to the smoking policy. in my opinion, not wearing a mask if it is “required” is worse than sneaking a cigarette in your suite (although I am 1000% against smoking in suites).

 

Agree that Regent does not want to cause any awkward situation, however, in this case it is not only a matter of life or death but it could affect their ability to continue cruising.

 

BTW, last week I saw a test on television (that may or may not be accurate - I tend to disbelieve most of what I read regarding Covid-19) about 6’ distancing.  While talking at 6’ apart probably works, sneezes and coughs go beyond 6’.  

 

Those of us with cruises booked for this year are prepared to wear the dreaded mask (definitely uncomfortable but necessary)  I’ve purchased a few masks now that they are available everywhere.  I found one with two layers fabric plus replaceable filters that is fairly comfortable.  In fact, I plan on redoing my avatar with a photo of me in a mask (with a cute saying on it).  As mentioned, if we are going ashore or on a tender, we will wear medical grade masks.

 

For us, it is either following protocols or staying home.  I admire what Lana is doing.  In our case, due to age, our cruising future is limited and I sure the heck won’t spend more time sitting at home.

 

If Regent does not insist on following the rules, they will be in trouble with the CDC as well as many passengers.  No one wants to risk their lives over something as silly not wanting to wear masks.  If a passenger does not want to wear a mask, they can sit in their suites (or can stay home and wait until that requirement is no longer necessary).

 

Joel, sorry if it sounds like I am ranting against you as that is not my intention.  I rarely get angry but anyone wanting to cruise on Regent without wearing a mask (if required) makes me furious.  

I am with you Jackie.  Wearing a mask is not a big deal.  I even have ones with crystals!  I am seriously disturbed that this virus has invaded what I think is the end of my life and the three months it has been a hindrance to everything.  We have cancelled all cruises this year due to Joe's cancer, but we will rebook after we see what happens on the first few cruises.  I do believe we will have to have some medical clearance, even though testing for the virus doesn't mean a thing.  You can have it and not know it.  You can come down with it the day after your exam.  I believe the airlines intend to have some requirements as well.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It is certainly everyone's right to take calculated risks to do what they want to do. The tipping point for me is when the risk takers put other people at significant risk because they don't want to follow the guidance. I see it every day and now the medical community is very concerned about the possibility of a major spike in COVID because of all the protests going on across the world. Many aren't wearing masks and there certainly is no social distancing. There is no doubt in my mind that there will be significant risk in cruising, on board, during all transportation (land and air), hotels and during shore excursions for a while.  I think major tourist sites will be fairly crowded because there is a pent up demand to get outside and do things again. Regent doesn't have full control of what people do at any time but especially when the passengers are off the ship. I respect everyone's right to make their own decisions and my comments are certainly just my opinion. No one knows how this will sort out. My concern for the cruise industry is that COVID will show up somewhere on some ship. Even if Regent has a perfect record and does everything perfectly, the cruise industry is looked at as a single industry and what happens to one will have an impact on all. I wish everyone that decides to cruise, the best of luck and hope and pray that you stay safe and healthy. For me, I'm going to wait this out and wait for proof that the entire transportation and tourist industry can show that they can operate safely before I resume travelling for pleasure.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I doubt that passengers will be wearing cloth masks on the ship as, at least where I live, they are to be removed as soon as one returns home and washed/sanitized before one wears the mask again.  How could that work on a cruise ship?  I guess it could be possible to wear them once and then to dispose of each fabric mask after wearing it outside the cabin.

 

The travel industry can only prove that it is safe if people are prepared to travel/cruise.  At this time, I am not one of those people.  My philosophy is the same as pappy1022:  

 

41 minutes ago, pappy1022 said:

 I'm going to wait this out and wait for proof that the entire transportation and tourist industry can show that they can operate safely before I resume travelling for pleasure.

 

Caroldoll, there are many reasons that people might choose not to wear masks, or specific types of masks:  allergies to the fabric/elastic/etc.; allergies and/or diseases that affect breathing; anxiety disorders; ASD including what used to be called high functioning autism; etc.  

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mariners said:

I doubt that passengers will be wearing cloth masks on the ship as, at least where I live, they are to be removed as soon as one returns home and washed/sanitized before one wears the mask again.  How could that work on a cruise ship?  I guess it could be possible to wear them once and then to dispose of each fabric mask after wearing it outside the cabin.

 

The travel industry can only prove that it is safe if people are prepared to travel/cruise.  At this time, I am not one of those people.  My philosophy is the same as pappy1022:  

 

 

Caroldoll, there are many reasons that people might choose not to wear masks, or specific types of masks:  allergies to the fabric/elastic/etc.; allergies and/or diseases that affect breathing; anxiety disorders; ASD including what used to be called high functioning autism; etc.  

 

 

Like Caroldoll, we are dealing with the mask issue on a daily basis.  On a ship, a person would need two to three masks (cloth).  We hand wash and disinfect masks when we get home.  A cloth mask can also be sprayed with a disinfectant and allowed to dry.  This isn’t a big deal.  N95 masks were meant for single use, however, medical professionals were forced to use them multiple times.  These can also be sprayed with a disinfectant.  

 

There are masks made of almost anything that you can think of so allergies should not be an issue.  If you have a condition that prevents you from wearing a mask, your should still be able to wear a face shield.  While not as effective, it does not affect your ability to breathe.

 

Marc - that was an interesting article.  He may have overdone the part about having your temperature taken multiple times a day.  It just takes a second and is already being done in many places that we visit now.  Again, not a big deal for us.

 

Note:  Carole, did your get your fancy mask locally or online?  If online, could you give us the website name?  Thanks!

 

Editing to say that I found one site for fancy masks https://www.etsy.com/market/rhinestone_face_mask

Edited by Travelcat2
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

 

Passengers have been put off of the ship for not adhering to the smoking policy. in my opinion, not wearing a mask if it is “required” is worse than sneaking a cigarette in your suite (although I am 1000% against smoking in suites).

 

Agree that Regent does not want to cause any awkward situation, however, in this case it is not only a matter of life or death but it could affect their ability to continue cruising.

 

BTW, last week I saw a test on television (that may or may not be accurate - I tend to disbelieve most of what I read regarding Covid-19) about 6’ distancing.  While talking at 6’ apart probably works, sneezes and coughs go beyond 6’.  

 

Those of us with cruises booked for this year are prepared to wear the dreaded mask (definitely uncomfortable but necessary)  I’ve purchased a few masks now that they are available everywhere.  I found one with two layers fabric plus replaceable filters that is fairly comfortable.  In fact, I plan on redoing my avatar with a photo of me in a mask (with a cute saying on it).  As mentioned, if we are going ashore or on a tender, we will wear medical grade masks.

 

For us, it is either following protocols or staying home.  I admire what Lana is doing.  In our case, due to age, our cruising future is limited and I sure the heck won’t spend more time sitting at home.

 

If Regent does not insist on following the rules, they will be in trouble with the CDC as well as many passengers.  No one wants to risk their lives over something as silly not wanting to wear masks.  If a passenger does not want to wear a mask, they can sit in their suites (or can stay home and wait until that requirement is no longer necessary).

 

Joel, sorry if it sounds like I am ranting against you as that is not my intention.  I rarely get angry but anyone wanting to cruise on Regent without wearing a mask (if required) makes me furious.  

I agree, as usual, with what Travelcat2 has posted.  I particularly support her notion of following established guidelines regarding masks.  If someone is not willing to wear a mask onboard, when required, they should be subject to being disembarked at the next port of call.  I've personally witnessed passengers put off the ship for excessive drunkenness and for flagrant disregard of smoking policies, neither of which are truly life threatening.  We all have a choice; either follow the rules (which are for everyone's benefit) or stay home.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, mrlevin said:

I will not wear a mask onboard a ship.  I will wear one on a plane if it is required.  I will wear on a bus if required (although that is silly); I will not wear one for entire excursion.  I hate those masks.

 

Marc

Marc, whether or not you "hate those masks" is not the issue.  I think most of us would prefer not to have to wear them.  But the fact is, they save lives.  And let me stress, that's not simply my opinion; it's a documented scientific fact.  So, wearing them on tour busses is not at all "silly", particularly since social distancing is virtually impossible in that situation.  I suspect you might feel differently if a non-mask wearing, asymptomatic seatmate infected you with Covid-19 while on tour.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with RiverCruising, the River Cruise Experts
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...