Jump to content

NCL Sail Safe Measures


Recommended Posts

53 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

Have you sailed Oceania before? Do you realize the number of passengers that have to take the elevator up or down only one deck to get to their restaurant or take a shore excursion, because even one flight of stairs is impossible for them? Perhaps, if they ran at 50% capacity, and excluded all the mobility limited passengers they could pull it off. Meanwhile, WWIII erupts from the elevator crowd!
 

 

Maybe there will be  a short marathon before you get on the ship & those that finish will be allowed to sail

That way they will know who will be able to do the stairs without an issue

Link to post
Share on other sites

it will be  a logistical nightmare  for the ships  to keep people social distancing

no sharing tables  only 2 tops

set dining  as they  will have to clean everything before 2nd sitting

the list goes on

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

Have you sailed Oceania before? Do you realize the number of passengers that have to take the elevator up or down only one deck to get to their restaurant or take a shore excursion, because even one flight of stairs is impossible for them? Perhaps, if they ran at 50% capacity, and excluded all the mobility limited passengers they could pull it off. Meanwhile, WWIII erupts from the elevator crowd!
 

You should watch all the passengers that show up on their assigned deck for life boat drills thirty minutes early so to beat the shutdown of the elevators! Having taken multiple ocean and river cruises, there exists an overall huge difference in typical clientele.

I have only sailed on R-class ships for only 3 cruises (57 days).  I'm not saying to shut down the elevators.  It is possible not to use the elevators without that much trouble to many passengers.  You can use the elevators, but it will be at your own risk.  Remember, you can always wait for a vaccine to be developed before going on a cruise.  This entails that a vaccine is properly developed plus that it can be manufactured in sufficent quantity that it is available to the general public.  All I am saying is the R-class ships are some of the better ships where risks can be minimized.  Life entails risk.  You should be accessing those risks to your situation and make the appropriate choice.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, pinotlover said:

Have you sailed Oceania before? Do you realize the number of passengers that have to take the elevator up or down only one deck to get to their restaurant or take a shore excursion, because even one flight of stairs is impossible for them? Perhaps, if they ran at 50% capacity, and excluded all the mobility limited passengers they could pull it off. Meanwhile, WWIII erupts from the elevator crowd!
 

You should watch all the passengers that show up on their assigned deck for life boat drills thirty minutes early so to beat the shutdown of the elevators! Having taken multiple ocean and river cruises, there exists an overall huge difference in typical clientele.

You are so right.  No way they could pull this off and still keep their guests happy. The lifeboat drills are a mess now when leaving and trying to all get up or down the stairs at the same time.   Also at 50% capacity noway they could make any money so whats the point.  Need  a vaccine so we can  go back to the old way and be safe. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I am trying to understand all this talk about elevators and the use or no use of them on a ship and it all sounds a bit ridiculous to me.  Does that mean that every elevator in the world is going to be shutdown?  This virus will not only spread in elevators on cruise ships, better start getting used to walking up flights of stairs in buildings all over the world.  There is safety and then there is safety and this is all becoming an experience of over reaction, cruise lines will decide if you and your health conditions allow you to travel?  Better take the handrails down on the stairways, in the hallways, and on the decks because you can spread the virus from those areas also.  People need to take a step back and take a deep breath and relax.  I am glad that they are improving their air ventilation system but decreasing passengers will just make prices go up, social distancing and limiting tables to 2 tops will decrease the social experience for people who go on cruises to socialize.  Does this mean in lounges that groups of people cannot get together for cocktails anymore and that bars stools will be gone?  That will be a huge loss for the cruise lines because people will not be in these areas socializing and spending money.  Are they going to stop all social activities like trivia, where you sit in groups of 8, the cooking experiences and painting experiences better be stopped because you have to be close.  I have a suggestion, just give us a plastic bubble suit to put on when we get onboard.

 

People are so worried about the virus but people do not worry about people and behaviors that can spread illness by not being sanitary in normal life.  I was on the last cruise on Riviera before the shutdown and on the last night we were dining in Polo and the man in front of us, waiting to be seated suddenly put his hand down the back of his pants and started scratching his backside or his crack, he went so deep you could not see any part of his hand.  He stopped and then when he was walking he did it again and then he sat down and ate.  To me that is just as unsanitary as an elevator button.

Edited by Maverick Cruiser
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Maverick Cruiser said:

I am trying to understand all this talk about elevators and the use or no use of them on a ship and it all sounds a bit ridiculous to me.  Does that mean that every elevator in the world is going to be shutdown?  This virus will not only spread in elevators on cruise ships, better start getting used to walking up flights of stairs in buildings all over the world.  There is safety and then there is safety and this is all becoming an experience of over reaction, cruise lines will decide if you and your health conditions allow you to travel?  Better take the handrails down on the stairways, in the hallways, and on the decks because you can spread the virus from those areas also.  People need to take a step back and take a deep breath and relax.  I am glad that they are improving their air ventilation system but decreasing passengers will just make prices go up, social distancing and limiting tables to 2 tops will decrease the social experience for people who go on cruises to socialize.  Does this mean in lounges that groups of people cannot get together for cocktails anymore and that bars stools will be gone?  That will be a huge loss for the cruise lines because people will not be in these areas socializing and spending money.  Are they going to stop all social activities like trivia, where you sit in groups of 8, the cooking experiences and painting experiences better be stopped because you have to be close.  I have a suggestion, just give us a plastic bubble suit to put on when we get onboard.

 

People are so worried about the virus but people do not worry about people and behaviors that can spread illness by not being sanitary in normal life.  I was on the last cruise on Riviera before the shutdown and on the last night we were dining in Polo and the man in front of us, waiting to be seated suddenly put his hand down the back of his pants and started scratching his backside or his crack, he went so deep you could not see any part of his hand.  He stopped and then when he was walking he did it again and then he sat down and ate.  To me that is just as unsanitary as an elevator button.

You just gave just about every reason in the world that cruises will not really start until there is a vaccine.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Maverick Cruiser said:

 To me that is just as unsanitary as an elevator button.

It's not the elevator button that I worry about - it's the fifteen others in there squeezed together on a "local" that stops on every floor.

Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

It's not the elevator button that I worry about - it's the fifteen others in there squeezed together on a "local" that stops on every floor.

Maybe the  elevators will be quantity controlled

Only 1 person at a time unless you are in the same cabin  😉

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/2/2020 at 6:41 PM, Paulchili said:

No lectures or shows? No bars?

 

I understand that for lectures and shows they won't allow sitting in all the seats. And for bars 50% capacity. Vegas just reopened with no shows yet.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Maverick Cruiser said:

I am trying to understand all this talk about elevators and the use or no use of them on a ship and it all sounds a bit ridiculous to me.  Does that mean that every elevator in the world is going to be shutdown?  This virus will not only spread in elevators on cruise ships, better start getting used to walking up flights of stairs in buildings all over the world.  There is safety and then there is safety and this is all becoming an experience of over reaction, cruise lines will decide if you and your health conditions allow you to travel?  Better take the handrails down on the stairways, in the hallways, and on the decks because you can spread the virus from those areas also.  People need to take a step back and take a deep breath and relax.  I am glad that they are improving their air ventilation system but decreasing passengers will just make prices go up, social distancing and limiting tables to 2 tops will decrease the social experience for people who go on cruises to socialize.  Does this mean in lounges that groups of people cannot get together for cocktails anymore and that bars stools will be gone?  That will be a huge loss for the cruise lines because people will not be in these areas socializing and spending money.  Are they going to stop all social activities like trivia, where you sit in groups of 8, the cooking experiences and painting experiences better be stopped because you have to be close.  I have a suggestion, just give us a plastic bubble suit to put on when we get onboard.

 

People are so worried about the virus but people do not worry about people and behaviors that can spread illness by not being sanitary in normal life.  I was on the last cruise on Riviera before the shutdown and on the last night we were dining in Polo and the man in front of us, waiting to be seated suddenly put his hand down the back of his pants and started scratching his backside or his crack, he went so deep you could not see any part of his hand.  He stopped and then when he was walking he did it again and then he sat down and ate.  To me that is just as unsanitary as an elevator button.

I'd like to add one thing to the "old normal" observations. 

 

The ever present filthy bed head hair and the sour smelling bodies from not being showered for days on end.  One couple on one of our cruises clearly did not take a shower for the whole two weeks.  We kept commenting that we need to stay away from anything they touched or sat on, and this isn't the only time we've seen that.  So yes, people are not always clean.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Noxequifans said:

The new "rules" are more a goal.  They may all work well on paper but in actuality ......?

True, but you have to start somewhere.  When you are trying something new, there is a little bit of trial & error in the beginning despite how much thought you put into it.   I think they use to call it "testing it out".  Let's see how that river cruise in Germany test out.   

Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe many are over reacting. Our country club opened back up with tables of eight (8) being the new max, the same as our favorite restaurant. The tables are just spaced a bit further apart now. 
 

For those that only want a two top, that option has always been there. We’ll continue to “share”, preferably on a 4 or 6 top. 
 

We don’t have bubble wrap cruises yet. Until we do, people can individually choose to accept some risk, or not cruise. We’re perfectly willing to accept some risk. Others are not. Currently it’s not a bridge either group chooses to cross, enjoy your side of the bridge because it’ll be awhile before a vaccine gets to our level.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TOLISTravellers said:

I'd like to add one thing to the "old normal" observations. 

 

The ever present filthy bed head hair and the sour smelling bodies from not being showered for days on end.  One couple on one of our cruises clearly did not take a shower for the whole two weeks.  We kept commenting that we need to stay away from anything they touched or sat on, and this isn't the only time we've seen that.  So yes, people are not always clean.

Maybe the new rules will include  a smell test daily  😉

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/4/2020 at 5:40 AM, deadzone1003 said:

I have only sailed on R-class ships for only 3 cruises (57 days).  I'm not saying to shut down the elevators.  It is possible not to use the elevators without that much trouble to many passengers.  You can use the elevators, but it will be at your own risk.  Remember, you can always wait for a vaccine to be developed before going on a cruise.  This entails that a vaccine is properly developed plus that it can be manufactured in sufficent quantity that it is available to the general public.  All I am saying is the R-class ships are some of the better ships where risks can be minimized.  Life entails risk.  You should be accessing those risks to your situation and make the appropriate choice.

The thing is that if they stop the elevators, people basically wont move around about the ship much. And they will be basically stuck in the zones of their cabins and near by cafes and entertainment. I dont think its really that good of an idea but it will all depend on the ship design

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Roger88 said:

The thing is that if they stop the elevators, people basically wont move around about the ship much. And they will be basically stuck in the zones of their cabins and near by cafes and entertainment. I dont think its really that good of an idea but it will all depend on the ship design

Never said that elevators will be stopped.  All I was suggesting was that the R-Class ships were one of the better types of ship where you can avoid using the elevators, at your discretion.  I would think elevators and the laundry room are areas where social distancing is difficult and ventilation is poor so are best to avoid if possible.  The walk from Grand Dining room to one's cabin requires at most going up 3 decks.  Now, going from your OV to the buffet may entail a much more difficult walk, but plan on eating at the GDR or take the elevator.  Until a vaccine is readily available, taking a cruise will entail some kind of risk.  I can''t see the cruiselines waiting for a vaccine when one may never be available.   

Link to post
Share on other sites

That Nicko river cruise is running at 20% capacity.  In this article, we may get an idea what cruising will look like until we get a vaccine.

 

https://thepointsguy.com/guide/first-cruise-ship-resumes-sailing/

 

This cruise sounds more like a testing of new procedures though their low passenger load may end up hiding some problems, i.e. something that works well at 20% may not work at 50% or higher.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, rzb1234 said:

Does anyone know what ports are open in Europe? Spoke with Oceania today about August cruise and they said it depends on if ports are open. 

How  do you get there if no flights ?

 

I think some in France  are open  but  getting there  is another issue

Link to post
Share on other sites

My cousin and her husband just came back from a two week vacation in Venice and Rome. Has pictures of a mostly empty St. Mark’s square and with minimum traffic on the Grand Canal. Said it was wonderful without all the crowds!

 

Point is, planes are flying people back and forth now between the US and Europe.

Link to post
Share on other sites
My cousin and her husband just came back from a two week vacation in Venice and Rome. Has pictures of a mostly empty St. Mark’s square and with minimum traffic on the Grand Canal. Said it was wonderful without all the crowds!
 
Point is, planes are flying people back and forth now between the US and Europe.


Just be careful you dont hub in the UK - we bought in quarantine today - 14 days for all apart from those coming from Eire and France.
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, pinotlover said:

My cousin and her husband just came back from a two week vacation in Venice and Rome. Has pictures of a mostly empty St. Mark’s square and with minimum traffic on the Grand Canal. Said it was wonderful without all the crowds!

 

Point is, planes are flying people back and forth now between the US and Europe.

Are they not US citizens? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: American Queen Steamboat Company
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com - June 2021
      • ICYM Our Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Explore the Remote World with Hurtigruten!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...