Crystal Voyage Assurance & Easy Book Programmes Announced

This just out from Crystal - I like the concept of protection from major itinerary changes with a full refund offered. I think the Easy Book programme is new or extended too 

I do suggest you or your TA make sure you read the terms and conditions of these and the other offers from Crystal carefully 

Enhanced Travel Protection 

As you begin to consider your upcoming travels with Crystal, our new Crystal Voyage Assurance provides an added layer of travel protection in the event that unforeseen global travel restrictions require significant changes to set itineraries. For new and existing bookings aboard Crystal Symphony and Crystal Serenity from November 2020 through April 2021, you will have the opportunity to cancel your cruise for a full refund within seven days of being notified by Crystal of changes to your itinerary. Changes may include either embarkation or disembarkation port/s, and/or alteration of more than 30% of the itinerary’s scheduled ports of call. Should you elect to keep your booked voyage, you can expect a journey to attractive destinations and the award-winning experience for which Crystal is known.

Crystal Voyage Assurance applies to November 2020 - April 2021 itineraries to all destinations aboard our Ocean ships – including the 2021 Full World Cruise and all of its segments (including the final segment, which departs May 2021) – and provides enhanced peace of mind, flexibility and value when used together with Crystal Confidence, Crystal Assured Savings, or Easy Book.

Easy Book

Look ahead to 2021, 2022 and 2023 and plan your future Crystal cruise with total peace of mind. Crystal’s new Easy Book offers a no-risk reduced deposit of just 15% (normally 25%) on the all-inclusive, luxury cruise of your choice, granting a 100% refund of your deposit if you need to cancel prior to our standard cancellation schedules as admin fees are also waived. Available for all new bookings made by 30 June 2020 on any Crystal experience — by Ocean, River, Yacht or Expedition — Easy Book is combinable with nearly every Crystal savings program currently available, providing added value and flexibility to your travels.

Edited by Stickman1990

We just received the same email. We appreciate Crystal’s efforts, assurances, and the early “heads-up-we-can’t-predict/control-itineraries-out-of-our-control”. However, we would actually prefer a change in the final payment due date rather than a “pay now and we will refund later if the itinerary changes”. Our final payment due date without incurring significant cancellation penalties for the 2021 WC is 8/23/20. We are not quite ready to gamble a very significant cash advance to any cruise line, nearly five months in advance, for a lengthy voyage departing in January 2021 that  will likely be altered. We couldn’t even make international flight arrangements right now, with the world’s borders still closed. Even though there is an assurance of a full refund, this is not a $799/pp, 7-day trip. It is a significant cash advance. We’ll see what transpires during the next couple of months before making a final commitment.

Rob

Well, this is a step in the right direction, and an improvement over no modification of their standard cancellation policy at all, which is where we were for bookings starting in January.  Now that they have announced a new policy for 2021, I am concerned that this is as good as it will get.  I would have much preferred the extension of Crystal Confidence into next year.

My concern, since we are booked on 3 segments of the world cruise, is what happens if only one of those segments meets the criteria for Crystal Voyage Assurance?  Can we cancel the full booking, or only the affected segment?  I guess that I will learn this with time, or ask my TA to find out before we go into the penalty phase (also Aug. 23-24).

As for making final payment without knowing the changes, it is starting to sound like that is what they expect people to do.  Clearly you can cancel until then for just the admin penalty, but you don't know the itinerary yet.  Probably Crystal will not know the itinerary by August, either.

The first thing that struck me is it starts with November 2020 cruises. What about September and October cruises? Is Crystal saying there will be no cruises in September and October??

Just now, TER777 said:

Is Crystal saying there will be no cruises in September and October??

Maybe, but on the other hand you can cancel those for 100% FCC up to 7 days before sailing with Crystal Confidence.  Ditto for November and December, which presumably now are covered by both offers.

4 hours ago, TER777 said:

The first thing that struck me is it starts with November 2020 cruises. What about September and October cruises? Is Crystal saying there will be no cruises in September and October??

Tracie, 

My guess is that those are toast. As Vince has explained several times about force majeure, etc.,  there are reasons they don't officially cancel until a later date. Final payment is due on my Oct. 11 Symphony cruise at the first of next week. I'm 99.44% sure that I'll have my travel agent cancel before then.

Patty

We know that Serenity will not be sailing its Canadian itineraries in Sept. and Oct., because Canada has said their ports will still be closed.  It sounds like they are hoping to start up from Miami in November.   

Symphony is scheduled around the Mediterranean and  then Dubai until the end of October, which also seems very unlikely.  Perhaps they are hoping to resume sometime in November in Southeast Asia.  

I hope those plans work out.  It would be good to get the new systems going in relatively contained geographic areas, close to Crystal's "home" and close to the US.

7 hours ago, TER777 said:

They’re definitely on the bubble at this point.  Few decisions have been made about Sept and Oct events yet, using my industry as an indicator, but organizers are making contingency plans because both months are starting to look fuzzier than November.  We just don’t know at this point — it’s a little too soon — but it’s also far out enough that companies can plan contingencies for the shift a little more than they’ve had the luxury to do to this point.

Vince

As predicted on another thread, Serenity resumes sailings from Miami, Symphony from Singapore, Decemberish 2020.  

Our next one is 64 nights on Symphony 19 Feb 21.  It will have to be a mask-free onboard experience or it will be no go for us.

1 hour ago, Coral said:

Still not getting these type of emails.

I’m not getting them either.  After resetting my profile, password and options I received the Crystal@Home emails for a couple of weeks but no voyage or itinerary related emails, this week nothing at all again...

Anne.

30 minutes ago, Jayayeff said:

I’m not getting them either.  After resetting my profile, password and options I received the Crystal@Home emails for a couple of weeks but no voyage or itinerary related emails, this week nothing at all again...

Anne.

I don't know how long it has been since I last received a Crystal email. Since anything of importance I already knew from Cruise Critic, I would delete them without opening, so no problem.

Patty

17 hours ago, TER777 said:

This is also the first thing I have asked myself after reading this news. Having a fully paid cruise booked for September, I am sad to think that if will be canceled.

Ivi

Edited by travelberlin

It looks like they are trying to get started in October:

Treat yourself to the pampered escape you crave on new Crystal Getaways with the World’s Most Awarded Luxury Cruise Line. This October 2020 through March 2021, conveniently shortened itineraries explore the Caribbean, Vietnam and beyond. Aboard Crystal Symphony and Crystal Serenity, you’ll enjoy the spacious luxury, acclaimed service and all-inclusive value that have earned Crystal more World’s Best accolades than any other cruise line. You deserve Crystal… Where Luxury is Personal™.

spacer.gif LEARN MORE spacer.gif

This makes me wonder how quickly they can get a full complement of staff assembled when they want to resume services? Not only are some of the passengers leery about returning to cruising, I'm sure many of the staff are too. Particularly the ones who got 'stuck' on the ships when all this hit the fan

7 minutes ago, juicyjuju said:

This makes me wonder how quickly they can get a full complement of staff assembled when they want to resume services? Not only are some of the passengers leery about returning to cruising, I'm sure many of the staff are too. Particularly the ones who got 'stuck' on the ships when all this hit the fan

I think you might be surprised.  There are a LOT of people out of work in the travel industry right now that can't wait to get back to work -- even with COVID-19, and even in public contact.  Crystal won't need a full compliment of crew until they consistently have higher occupancy than they'll likely initially have -- I wouldn't be surprised if they were able to get plenty of crew to meet the lower occupancy that are ready to begin by November.  I think the big variable will be a potential second round of COVID-19 in the northern hemisphere by then.

Vince

my biggest concern would be that something happens, even if not really COVID-19 and countries again block entry and thus you couldn't get home.   I think I'll wait until next spring/summer at least to book a cruise. 

On 6/2/2020 at 12:54 AM, Texas Tillie said:

Tracie, 

My guess is that those are toast. As Vince has explained several times about force majeure, etc.,  there are reasons they don't officially cancel until a later date. Final payment is due on my Oct. 11 Symphony cruise at the first of next week. I'm 99.44% sure that I'll have my travel agent cancel before then.

Patty

Patty, in case you didn't get today's "Book with Peace of Mind" email, final payment date is now 60 days prior to first service. This gives you more time to wait and see. - Tracie

Just now, TER777 said:

Patty, in case you didn't get today's "Book with Peace of Mind" email, final payment date is now 60 days prior to first service. This gives you more time to wait and see. - Tracie

Thanks, Tracie! As I mentioned on some thread on this board, I no longer get emails and have been unsuccessful getting reinstated on their email list, but I generally get the info I need here on Cruise Critic! 😎

Patty

"As with every aspect of the Crystal Experience, we want to ensure your total peace of mind when making travel plans with us. Effective June 8, we are updating our reduced deposits, cancellation, and final payment policies for our 2020 Ocean sailings to provide more flexibility for our guests. A new $100 per guest reduced deposit on new 2020 bookings, revised final payment policy for both new and existing 2020 bookings (now 60 days prior to First Service), and new cancellation terms are now in effect until further notice. Book by July 31, 2020 to take advantage of these updated policies." 

The new cancellation and final payment policies are great for 2020 sailings.  I still think they need to make better terms for at least the first quarter of 2021 as well.  As it stands now, if I keep my January booking past August and later cancel, I will pay the normal cancellation penalties.  This is not acceptable, so I will have to decide either to cancel in August or to be certain I will sail unless Crystal cancels.  Oh, they say I have 7 days to cancel for 100% FCC within 7 days of any announcement of a "significant" itinerary change.  That might help, but is nowhere near enough.  I am on 3 segments, and it is not clear that I could cancel all 3 for an itinerary change on one of them.  And what if they don't make an itinerary change that I think is needed -- in that case I have no resort.

I guess they still have 2 months to address this issue, but I am not very optimistic that they will.