Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
charlie-le-chat

Celebrity vs the rest

Recommended Posts

We've previously cruised with P&O three times, Royal Caribbean once and Marella once and apart from slight niggles have been happy with all. To be honest Marella was perhaps a little 'down market' but still good value. We now have FCC certificates for a cancelled Norwegian Fjords cruise but are considering swapping for a refund as the aforementioned are quite a bit cheaper. I'd be interested to hear views on what puts Celebrity above others.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome to CC - go with refund and select a "cheaper" sailing.

 

bon voyage

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

If you can get cash back, I'd grab it,.Then you will have time to research options, read reviews and make a good decision based on your needs/ desires.

Edited by hcat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No doubt, take the money now.  Things will look a lot different when this is over and you will be able to pick the best option for you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You’ve sort of mixed up the ‘what makes Celebrity different from the other lines?’ and ‘should I take the cash and book a cheaper, satisfactory cruise?’?

 

I’d take the money and run while you can; rebook later when you’re more certain what you want to do.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I don't know anything about the lines you've mentioned so can't compare them.  Celebrity has been our go-to line when we start the shopping process.  We haven't always booked with them, though.  Like you said, the price is sometimes better with other lines.  Like others have advised, I'd take the money and keep looking for something to pop up.

 

Some things we love about Celebrity:

  • classy feel when on board, but not too stuffy
  • great crew
  • wonderful food
  • quite liberal drinks package
  • the solarium (climate controlled, adults only pool area)
  • the martini and World Class bar (S class)
  • embarkation glass of bubbly when you board
  • comparable loyalty perks
  • theater shows (most of them)
  • Murano

Some things we find lacking on Celebrity:

  • varied evening entertainment venues
  • no embarkation day MDR open for lunch (unless in a suite or concierge class)
  • Persian Gardens
Edited by Georgia_Peaches

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Celebrity will "Wow" you compared with P&O.

Princess are infinitely better too even though P&O Azura and Ventura are the same class of ship as Crown, Emerald and Ruby Princess.

Ditto Britannia compared with the Royal class Princess ships.

Edited by Esprit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, charlie-le-chat said:

We've previously cruised with P&O three times, Royal Caribbean once and Marella once and apart from slight niggles have been happy with all. To be honest Marella was perhaps a little 'down market' but still good value. We now have FCC certificates for a cancelled Norwegian Fjords cruise but are considering swapping for a refund as the aforementioned are quite a bit cheaper. I'd be interested to hear views on what puts Celebrity above others.

 

I've only sailed on RCL but can say that I know Marella is a budget line comparatively speaking. So you will experience better quality and service across the board on Celebrity. 

RCL is a sister line of Celebrity. The former is aimed at families and entertainment, something it does very well. Celebrity is a more upscale experience (In my opinion not massively more so) with an older crowd and more sedate experience. 

P&O are not considered quite as good Celebrity by the majority. But to get a feel maybe go on Youtube and look at some of the line and individual ship reviews to give you a more visual comparison. There are a few very good Youtube reviewers out there. 

I'd agree with the others though. Get a refund and take your time doing your research for maximum enjoyment of your next trip. Don't rush into anything. :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My problem with celebrity is there entertainment which is very mediocre. Celebrity is fantastic for suite perks. Have cruised all the major American lines, rccl is our favorite in general but some sailing have way to many children for us. Hal is similar to celebrity with a little better entertainment. We really enjoyed msc yacht club there new ships are really nice. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have cruised with all the lines you mention (I haven’t upgraded my signature for a few years) and are waiting to see if our Celebrity cruise booked for 29.11.20 will go ahead. Celebrity is my husbands line of choice he really enjoys the quality of the ship, the service, the food, it is a class above those you mention.  However, I much prefer the entertainment and general Bon homie of Marella. You won’t find that on Celebrity (imho the entertainment is poor and let’s down what would otherwise be perfect) also with Marella it is totally inclusive. Unless you get the full perks the gratuities are expensive, the drinks package upgrades, transfers etc. If you are offered 125% fcc I personally would take it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, George C said:

My problem with celebrity is there entertainment which is very mediocre. Celebrity is fantastic for suite perks. Have cruised all the major American lines, rccl is our favorite in general but some sailing have way to many children for us. Hal is similar to celebrity with a little better entertainment. We really enjoyed msc yacht club there new ships are really nice. 

 

1 hour ago, Jayneykul said:

We have cruised with all the lines you mention (I haven’t upgraded my signature for a few years) and are waiting to see if our Celebrity cruise booked for 29.11.20 will go ahead. Celebrity is my husbands line of choice he really enjoys the quality of the ship, the service, the food, it is a class above those you mention.  However, I much prefer the entertainment and general Bon homie of Marella. You won’t find that on Celebrity (imho the entertainment is poor and let’s down what would otherwise be perfect) also with Marella it is totally inclusive. Unless you get the full perks the gratuities are expensive, the drinks package upgrades, transfers etc. If you are offered 125% fcc I personally would take it. 

Have either of you been on Edge? I ask because I agree that, typically, entertainment is Celebrity's weak spot, but I thought that the range of entertainment on the Edge was much better...wonder what others think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh that is great to hear cangelmd!!! We are booked on the Edge in November (fingers crossed) Celebrity is not the worst for entertainment by any means, that award definitely goes to Cunard with MSC a close second.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for all your informative replies and so quick too. Nothing else to do eh? 😄

 

We're going to swap the FCC for a refund. What eventually sealed it was discovering the cost of moving the cancelled cruise to next year. Seven days on Sillhouette, Southampton to Norwegian Fjords May 9th 2020, standard veranda was £3032. Next year May 8th same perks, cabin location and class will be £3778. The FCC doesn't even cover it. Gobsmacked!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That’s an astronomical price hike! Hope you sort something better out for your disappointment! Our March Marella bargain was cancelled last minute only just got the money back booked the Edge for 29.11.20 if it goes ahead it will be a phenomenal bargain if not ..... back to the drawing board. Just to tell you a funny story Sorry for going off topic, but on P&O Britannia I ordered the breakfast special of kedgeree & they brought me a plate of Fish curry n rice clearly from the previous day buffet. Would I go on P&O again, not likely ha ha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, charlie-le-chat said:

Thanks for all your informative replies and so quick too. Nothing else to do eh? 😄

 

We're going to swap the FCC for a refund. What eventually sealed it was discovering the cost of moving the cancelled cruise to next year. Seven days on Sillhouette, Southampton to Norwegian Fjords May 9th 2020, standard veranda was £3032. Next year May 8th same perks, cabin location and class will be £3778. The FCC doesn't even cover it. Gobsmacked!!!

We have sailed with p&o many times but that was when our kids were small and always had a lovely time! But once the family had grew up it was no longer our choice. RCL We have sailed lots of times and still enjoy. But Celebrity I think are a different product and are our brand of choice! Next years prices do seem expensive I’ve booked a couple and will wait and see if the price drops before final. I would take the refund and look out for better deals in the future. Dianne

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cangelmd said:

 

Have either of you been on Edge? I ask because I agree that, typically, entertainment is Celebrity's weak spot, but I thought that the range of entertainment on the Edge was much better...wonder what others think.

I would love to sail the Edge , my problem with edge suites is msc yacht club was half the cost. We love the music charters on celebrity but they are not cheap either but we do that every Year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OP - carefully note the cruise items that are fundamental to you and what items that you do not wish to have on a cruise.

 

Research the cruise lines (CC is excellent for that) - do not make a purchasing decision based on price only.

 

Determine which cruise line offers the best bundle of attributes that meets your fundamental requirements.

 

As for Celebrity - I am one of the many who fled Celebrity to the premium lines.

Celebrity trades on their past reputation of great food, premium service etc, which was true up to about 2015. It does not deliver that for the majority of passengers, while charging higher per diems than their peers - hence why people have fled Celebrity. 

 

Be aware, Celebrity has morphed into a distinct class system cruise line that is more class conscious than Cunard. 

 

For the non suite class, it is a regular cruise line with nothing special versus offerings on Princess, HA etc - all those lines, and Celebrity, are about the same give or take on various cruise line attributes.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, charlie-le-chat said:

Thanks for all your informative replies and so quick too. Nothing else to do eh? 😄

 

We're going to swap the FCC for a refund. What eventually sealed it was discovering the cost of moving the cancelled cruise to next year. Seven days on Sillhouette, Southampton to Norwegian Fjords May 9th 2020, standard veranda was £3032. Next year May 8th same perks, cabin location and class will be £3778. The FCC doesn't even cover it. Gobsmacked!!!

 

 

That is expensive! Sadly I think you'll see high pricing for some time as people are desperate to resume sailing. Just check pricing regularly and keep your eyes peeled for bargains. 

P.S We live in same town. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, George C said:

My problem with celebrity is there entertainment which is very mediocre. Celebrity is fantastic for suite perks. Have cruised all the major American lines, rccl is our favorite in general but some sailing have way to many children for us. Hal is similar to celebrity with a little better entertainment. We really enjoyed msc yacht club there new ships are really nice. 

 

In a Facebook group recently one member claimed the entertainment on Celebrity was "Top notch". This is a regular cruiser who has sailed on many ships. 

I did wonder what kind of sheltered life she'd led! It is very mediocre at best IMHO. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

I don't know anything about the lines you've mentioned so can't compare them.  Celebrity has been our go-to line when we start the shopping process.  We haven't always booked with them, though.  Like you said, the price is sometimes better with other lines.  Like others have advised, I'd take the money and keep looking for something to pop up.

 

Some things we love about Celebrity:

  • classy feel when on board, but not too stuffy
  • great crew
  • wonderful food
  • quite liberal drinks package
  • the solarium (climate controlled, adults only pool area)
  • the martini and World Class bar (S class)
  • embarkation glass of bubbly when you board
  • comparable loyalty perks
  • theater shows (most of them)
  • Murano

Some things we find lacking on Celebrity:

  • varied evening entertainment venues
  • no embarkation day MDR open for lunch (unless in a suite or concierge class)
  • Persian Gardens

 

Great list, if relevant to you I will add perhaps the best smoking policy in the business.   No smoking on any ship indoors including staterooms,, veranda's and casino.  Only a couple of outdoor areas where people are allowed to smoke, all on the port side. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, dkjretired said:

 

Great list, if relevant to you I will add perhaps the best smoking policy in the business.   No smoking on any ship indoors including staterooms,, veranda's and casino.  Only a couple of outdoor areas where people are allowed to smoke, all on the port side. 

Ahh, you are so right!  That's a biggie and I completely forgot!  Glad you added to the list.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Ahh, you are so right!  That's a biggie and I completely forgot!  Glad you added to the list.

 

Sadly no Murano on M and E class ships. :/ 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Moby Jones said:

 

Sadly no Murano on M and E class ships. 😕

This is a travesty.  IMO Celebrity should remove the LPC venue and turn it into a Murano. I haven't been on Edge class yet but I understand that there is quite a nice variety of specialty dining that maybe Murano won't be missed?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Jayneykul said:

I much prefer the entertainment and general Bon homie of Marella. You won’t find that on Celebrity (imho the entertainment is poor and let’s down what would otherwise be perfect) also with Marella it is totally inclusive.

 

By far the best entertainment team we've encountered on any holiday of any kind was on a Marella Caribbean cruise

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, cangelmd said:

 

Have either of you been on Edge? I ask because I agree that, typically, entertainment is Celebrity's weak spot, but I thought that the range of entertainment on the Edge was much better...wonder what others think.

EDGE blows other X ships out of the water for music, shows,  performances in the Club and EDEN,  spa, dining and overall experience.. Loved it twice..(.AQ Class  with BLU and Sunset Veranda..4 mdrs)

 

But we are also looking forward to Connie...not updated and an S Class ship too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...