Jump to content

Thermal scanners to be used by Carnival.


Recommended Posts

Since a couple people mentioned others who are making excuses to not use temperature checks, I just wanted to clarify my first comment. I'm not against Carnival using this method. The thing is, temp. checks seem to be one of the preferred methods of detection. On ships, at airports, places of business, etc. But there's factors involved that work against temp. checks being a completely reliable method. I agree, it's better than nothing. I just think it's being given more credit than it deserves.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Will they be checking each time you re-board at the ports of call?  What happens if you are out in the hot sun all day and get sunburned?  That raises you skin temperature by quite a bit.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, jean87510 said:

I think after this week, no one will test for coronavirus.

 

Apparently I'm being dense, but what is happening this week to make it less likely for coronavirus testing to occur? The obvious thing that is happening is the George Floyd death protests, but I can't see why that would be a factor.

 

I apologize if I'm being stupid.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Earthworm Jim said:

 

Apparently I'm being dense, but what is happening this week to make it less likely for coronavirus testing to occur? The obvious thing that is happening is the George Floyd death protests, but I can't see why that would be a factor.

 

I apologize if I'm being stupid.

With the lack of social distancing going on, I doubt we will have it enforced on the ships.  I think its pretty obvious that the covid quarantine after 12 weeks was excessive and exaggerated. Note people were arrested on beaches not too long ago yet cities are being destroyed. My daughter cannot have her senior graduation outside in July but 3 candlelight vigils were held with over 1000 people with no masks or social distancing in the past 48 hours in my town. 

My point is to show that this quarantine is obviously unnecessary at this time.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, jean87510 said:

With the lack of social distancing going on, I doubt we will have it enforced on the ships.  I think its pretty obvious that the covid quarantine after 12 weeks was excessive and exaggerated. Note people were arrested on beaches not too long ago yet cities are being destroyed. My daughter cannot have her senior graduation outside in July but 3 candlelight vigils were held with over 1000 people with no masks or social distancing in the past 48 hours in my town. 

My point is to show that this quarantine is obviously unnecessary at this time.

 

I think the recent mass gatherings have only indicated that many folks believe they are not under threat from COVID-19.  Or they are aware, but willing to risk it to make the statements they represent by gathering.

 

OTOH, I would say it is appropriate to still be concerned, and if anything, these mass rallies are going to exacerbate the situation, and we'll see another spike in a week or so.

 

You know how some TV pundits have called cruise ships "petri dishes for diseases"?  I suspect much of the world is looking at the entire US that way right now.  We are a giant experiment of transmission rates.  While European countries are opening up their borders, no-one, not even Canada, wants to open up to the US.

Edited by ProgRockCruiser
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

 

I think the recent mass gatherings have only indicated that many folks believe they are not under threat from COVID-19.  Or they are aware, but willing to risk it to make the statements they represent by gathering.

 

OTOH, I would say it is appropriate to still be concerned, and if anything, these mass rallies are going to exacerbate the situation, and we'll see another spike in a week or so.

 

You know how some TV pundits have called cruise ships "petri dishes for diseases"?  I suspect much of the world is looking at the entire US that way right now.  We are a giant experiment of transmission rates.  While European countries are opening up their borders, no-one, not even Canada, wants to open up to the US.

Noted. I expect we will see in a couple of weeks. If nothing changes, then I expect the travel industry will take note. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Either what is happening will speed the virus along or it won't.   I think what is happening just put a fast forward button on the virus in the US. Maybe it will run its course faster now.  We shall see.

Edited by TNcruising02
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jean87510 said:

With the lack of social distancing going on, I doubt we will have it enforced on the ships.  I think its pretty obvious that the covid quarantine after 12 weeks was excessive and exaggerated. Note people were arrested on beaches not too long ago yet cities are being destroyed. My daughter cannot have her senior graduation outside in July but 3 candlelight vigils were held with over 1000 people with no masks or social distancing in the past 48 hours in my town. 

My point is to show that this quarantine is obviously unnecessary at this time.


Just because a lot of people have recently ignored “rules” concerning social distancing and masks does not mean that a quarantine is/was unnecessary. As scientists, doctors, etc. gain more knowledge concerning this virus, at some point in the future it may be determined that certain steps or precautions were not necessary. But the fact that a bunch of people have gathered together in large crowds recently does not prove anything right now. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:


Just because a lot of people have recently ignored “rules” concerning social distancing and masks does not mean that a quarantine is/was unnecessary. As scientists, doctors, etc. gain more knowledge concerning this virus, at some point in the future it may be determined that certain steps or precautions were not necessary. But the fact that a bunch of people have gathered together in large crowds recently does not prove anything right now. 

Which is why i said we shall see in a couple of weeks.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, RWolver672 said:

Will they be checking each time you re-board at the ports of call?  What happens if you are out in the hot sun all day and get sunburned?  That raises you skin temperature by quite a bit.

 

This is my concern. I don't mind having my temperature taken, but after standing in line in the hot sun, I imagine a lot of people will test too high.

Link to post
Share on other sites

When I cruised in March on RCL, they only checked our temperatures when we first entered the terminal.  I think as long as they successfully quarantine anyone who is very sick, things will be fine.  It's not a matter of preventing the virus from entering the US when the virus is already in the US.  No need at all to quarantine an entire ship.  They just need a plan to keep sick people away from the masses.  I think a special area of cabins devoted to covid-positive passengers will be fine.  A rapid test before boarding the ship for the first time will really help.  Concerned people should stay home until they feel it is safe to cruise or venture outside of their homes.

Edited by TNcruising02
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TravelGirlinDallas said:

 

This is my concern. I don't mind having my temperature taken, but after standing in line in the hot sun, I imagine a lot of people will test too high.

 

Carnival staff could walk down the line taking temperatures, flagging people who were too high, before you stood in line for any amount of time. It takes less time than walking through the metal detector.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

 

Carnival staff could walk down the line taking temperatures, flagging people who were too high, before you stood in line for any amount of time. It takes less time than walking through the metal detector.

I work at a hospital we have been told with the hot weather if someone reads high wait 5 minutes and test them again.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, wesorbeth said:

I work at a hospital we have been told with the hot weather if someone reads high wait 5 minutes and test them again.

Yep.

 

Of course, Carnival *could* have a thermal scanner over each MDR and with facial recognition software scan most people at least once a day. Same with Casino, Theater, Line at Guest Services, etc.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, trummy said:

I would hesitate to spend thousands of dollars on a cruise only to possibly be told I could not board once I arrived.

That’s the world in which we live now.  The other option is they let people who might be sick get on and infect the ship.  To your point, if they refused boarding, I would be surprised if they would not offer a credit.  Another possibility is insurance which would cover that in any event.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

That’s the world in which we live now.  The other option is they let people who might be sick get on and infect the ship.  To your point, if they refused boarding, I would be surprised if they would not offer a credit.  Another possibility is insurance which would cover that in any event.  

Thought I had read it's almost impossible to get trip insurance right now. 

 

You are correct they should give credit if they refuse to let you board. Better yet they "should" refund your money.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

It is one of the classic signs, they will have no choice but to deny boarding,   

I totally agree. A temperature above the norm, is a clear indication of a sickness is going on, and possibly infectious and that's something a cruise ship does not need.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with Barbara Muckermann, CMO Silversea Cruises
      • ICYM Our Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Explore the Remote World with Hurtigruten!
      • Q&A with the Quark Expeditions Team: New Ship Ultramarine
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...