Will they announce port changes?

I know with all of this COVID stuff so much is changing and changes every day, but I was wondering if the cruise lines announce port changes before the cruise.    I know in the fine print it says they can change your ports, but I had planned on booking my excursions through a third party.  Also, on the cruise that I selected, there is one port that is very important to me that we hit.  It is the whole reason I selected the cruise I did.   If they know in advance that that port is not accepting cruise lines, I will ask that my "deposit" ( I have paid in full) be held for a different cruise.     The cruise I have selected on Carnival is not until April 2021.     So my payment deadline is not until January.   We WILL be taking a cruise as this is to celebrate my college graduation.   It only took 30 years....lol.   But I worked really hard and got a 4.0 so this is my reward to myself.    So... it IS happening... just a matter of when.    It is mine and my husbands first cruise ever.    As I mentioned, it isnt until April of next year, but I have a suitcase in the spare bedroom that I have already started to pack with things that I am hearing you should take on all of the packing youtube videos.    So .... my husband is just getting a kick out of watching me prepare.   lol.   I have been researching for a year for this cruise.     And now that I am done with my school work, I have more time to look at the 1 million videos on youtube about cruises.  🙂

I know they dont announce changes in advance all the time.    Usually it is for weather or last minute political stuff.   But I figure they may have an idea a month or two in advance what ports will still be accepting cruises and which ones will not.  I would love to know if there are changes in advance so that I can change the cruise if it doesnt hit that one port that we booked this one for.    🙂

Edited by Oldpeoplecruising

There are a variety of reasons why a port can get changed as you are aware. Booking a cruise based solely on one port of call is taking a chance. Is it a tender port, no one knows what situation with corona will be, etc. Just something to consider before final payment.....p

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Oldpeoplecruising said:

I know with all of this COVID stuff so much is changing and changes every day, but I was wondering if the cruise lines announce port changes before the cruise.    I know in the fine print it says they can change your ports, but I had planned on booking my excursions through a third party.  Also, on the cruise that I selected, there is one port that is very important to me that we hit.  It is the whole reason I selected the cruise I did.   If they know in advance that that port is not accepting cruise lines, I will ask that my "deposit" ( I have paid in full) be held for a different cruise.     The cruise I have selected on Carnival is not until April 2021.     So my payment deadline is not until January.   We WILL be taking a cruise as this is to celebrate my college graduation.   It only took 30 years....lol.   But I worked really hard and got a 4.0 so this is my reward to myself.    So... it IS happening... just a matter of when.    It is mine and my husbands first cruise ever.    As I mentioned, it isnt until April of next year, but I have a suitcase in the spare bedroom that I have already started to pack with things that I am hearing you should take on all of the packing youtube videos.    So .... my husband is just getting a kick out of watching me prepare.   lol.   I have been researching for a year for this cruise.     And now that I am done with my school work, I have more time to look at the 1 million videos on youtube about cruises.  🙂

I know they dont announce changes in advance all the time.    Usually it is for weather or last minute political stuff.   But I figure they may have an idea a month or two in advance what ports will still be accepting cruises and which ones will not.  I would love to know if there are changes in advance so that I can change the cruise if it doesnt hit that one port that we booked this one for.    🙂

@Oldpeoplecruising

Howdy and welcome to the Cruise Critic message boards! emo22.gif 

Thank you for your first new thread on the First Time Cruisers forum for general questions by new cruisers. 👍 

To help you out I have moved your thread to the Carnival Cruise Lines forum since your inquiry concerns Carnival. It is a more correct forum for your inquiry and where it will be more on-topic. The majority of your fellow Cruise Critic members that have sailed Carnival frequent the forum and provide feedback there. Please browse through the thread titles on the forum looking for threads of interest. You will probably find your fellow Cruise Critic members have already posted questions and received answers that will be of interest to you.

Please note the Cruise Critic Roll Call thread for your line, ship and sail date will be the place for you to get to know the other Cruise Critic members sailing with you BEFORE the cruise. Your fellow Roll Call members may have important information posted in your Roll Call thread, especially ones that have sailed your line, ship or itinerary before. Also, the Roll Call thread for your cruise is the ONLY place on Cruise Critic where you and your fellow Roll Call members are allowed to post personal ads about sharing private tours, excursions, transportation etc. with each other to save money. There is a "captive audience" since you are all sailing together! emo3.gif You will receive a much better response to your share request if you take some time to read the entire Roll Call thread, post an introductory post about yourself, and continue on with more posts to get to know the other members and allow them to get to know YOU first before you post your share request. That is the spirit of our Roll Calls. emo34.gif

To explain our Roll Calls and finding the Roll Call thread for your cruise, please read What is a Roll Call? Everything you Need to Know and How To: Create A New Roll Call. For more information about our famous Roll Calls, please read the Roll Calls and Our Policy Regarding Facebook and Roll Calls sections in the Guidelines.

Cruise Critic is a great resource for new as well as experienced cruisers and we are so glad you found us! emo34.gif  Please feel free to browse the Cruise Critic Community Categories list. Read a few threads in the forums to get a feel for what each forum is about. Make sure you read any pinned threads on the top of the first page of threads in a forum. You will find very important instructions or information there.

Anytime you need to start a new thread/topic on a forum, first make sure you are in the correct forum for your topic. Word your new thread title in a way to help the members know exactly the information you seek. This greatly helps the members browsing through the thread titles and if they know the information they will reply to you. It is best to limit each inquiry to only one topic or concerning one cruise line, one ship, one port of call, etc. and of course, on the correct forum. emo3.gif  You will get more replies that way. Be sure to mention your cruise line, ship, port or sail date in your inquiry as that sort of information will help the members have the information they need in order to reply back to you.

I sincerely hope all this information will be helpful! So sorry this is such a long post, but we are so glad to have you aboard the Cruise Critic message board and just wanted to give you some of the highlights about being a member. emo35.gif

Happy sails,

Host Kat emo32.gif

Edited by Host Kat
Typo due to fat fingers & skinny laptop keys!
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Host Carolyn said:

There are a variety of reasons why a port can get changed as you are aware. Booking a cruise based solely on one port of call is taking a chance. Is it a tender port, no one knows what situation with corona will be, etc. Just something to consider before final payment.....p

Agree.  We booked our Leap Day cruise on the Magic specifically for Antigua.   That got changed to Tortola, which was a

wonderful substitute.  But it could easily have been changed to another port that we wouldn't have been as excited about.

• Like 2

To oldpeoplecruising, there is simply no way to know.

For a cruise that far out there's a reasonable chance port changes could be announced in advance, unless inclement weather interferes at the last minute.  Then you might not know until embarkation day.

Even so it's really a crapshoot.

Follow your plan to watch closely prior to final payment.  At that point you can walk away or roll the dice.

Congratulations on achieving a major goal!  I think a cruise is a fine way to celebrate.

• Like 1

Dear Oldpeoplecruising (such a cute name!)—Welcome to Cruise Critic and its wealth of information.  I would say that we have missed or changed ports on about two thirds of our 30+ cruises.  Only one was announced in advance of the cruise.

Some ports are missed more frequently than others, so if you post the port that would help.  But as stated above, never book a cruise if you Must Be at a certain place at a certain time.  This is unlike airlines, which must eventually get you to your destination.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Oldpeoplecruising said:

Depends on the circumstances...sometimes things happen while on board, so no time to announce a change ahead of time.

In todays world...there is nothing certain, except uncertainty.       Just plan to have fun and take it from there.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cherylandtk said:

Dear Oldpeoplecruising (such a cute name!)—Welcome to Cruise Critic and its wealth of information.  I would say that we have missed or changed ports on about two thirds of our 30+ cruises.  Only one was announced in advance of the cruise.

Some ports are missed more frequently than others, so if you post the port that would help.  But as stated above, never book a cruise if you Must Be at a certain place at a certain time.  This is unlike airlines, which must eventually get you to your destination.  

Thanks for the compliment on the name.   We are going on the April 10th cruise to Belize, Roatan, and Cozumel.     I have heard fantastic things about Belize. That is the one that I really dont want to miss.    I visited Honduras MANY MANY years ago during a mission trip and I dont remember being that impressed by it, but then again... I was on a mission trip and we saw the worst of the worst.   But the Carnival guy said that it would probably be the highlight of the trip.    As for Cozumel... I could take it or leave it.    SO touristy I hear.   But then again... I am sure most all of the ports will be.    But of all the ports, that is the one that I could take it or leave it.     

4 hours ago, bury me at sea said:

To oldpeoplecruising, there is simply no way to know.

For a cruise that far out there's a reasonable chance port changes could be announced in advance, unless inclement weather interferes at the last minute.  Then you might not know until embarkation day.

Even so it's really a crapshoot.

Follow your plan to watch closely prior to final payment.  At that point you can walk away or roll the dice.

Congratulations on achieving a major goal!  I think a cruise is a fine way to celebrate.

Yeah.  I know weather and political issues are a big reason for changes.    And those are often not known until you are actually in route to the destination.  But I figured with some countries not allowing tourists due to COVID that they would possible announce schedule changes in advance.     Like I believe that Australia and New Zealand have said something to that effect. I mean.... even if we pass the final payment date.... and they will let me take a credit towards another cruise at a later time because POC changes... I would be ok with that.    Come Hades or high water.... I am going on a cruise...lol.    I just may need to delay it to get to where I want to go.   This will be our first cruise, but we will probably start cruising more in the future if we enjoy it.   

BTW.   Thanks for the congratulatory wishes.  It was hard work but ..... worth it.    I should have my masters actually before I go on the cruise.  I have been taking classes towards my masters with counselor approval for a while.  I actually just need to present and defend my thesis.   

• Like 1

Congrats on your acheivement, well done.  I started college in Sept 1968 and got my degree 30 yrs later in 1998.

If you want to make sure you get to one port, I would look at a land vacation instead of a cruise.  Many here on CC say they don't like Belize, mainly because the port  and immediate area are a bit sketchy, but I usually enjoy my time in Belize.  There are plenty of activities and we usually have great guides on our tours.

We liked Belize so much that we spent a week on San Pedro, {Isla Bonita per Madonna), where we snorkeled in Hol Chan preserve, went fishing and birding, walked all over the car-less isle and feasted at great restaurants with lobster in season. That had to be at least 15 yrs ago, and I heard it has been developed a bit more since then.

Perhaps Caye Caulker is your destination in mind?  That isle still retains an undeveloped tropical cachet and I'm told that it is today what San Pedro was back when we stayed there.  Either isle is unlike the Belizean mainland, just like Roatan is so different than mainland Honduras.

But however you decide, welcome to CC!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Belize City?  We loved Lamani. This is a long tender, subject to weather that day. 

You can watch the country's covid restrictions on the internet. Right now, Belize appears to be closed. I'm watching some Caribbean islands for later this year, hoping they will reopen.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Trueblueky said:

Belize City?  We loved Lamani. This is a long tender, subject to weather that day. 

You can watch the country's covid restrictions on the internet. Right now, Belize appears to be closed. I'm watching some Caribbean islands for later this year, hoping they will reopen.

We also very much enjoyed Lamani on a ship's excursion. Before it there was both a bus and a boat. On the boat you got to see a lot of native animals.

• Like 1

Good question.  Hopefully you will be able to go and CELEBRATE your achievement, without any port changes. The main reason I want to take my 3 son's/3 d-i-l's in March next year is to see the "port" of St. Lucia. I have been to ALL the ports of the itinerary, and the 6 of them have been to some of them. I would be DISAPPOINTED if the "6" of them were not able to see this port because of a change, as that is the main reason of this cruise, and being TOGETHER!!

• Like 1

I was on a cruise where someone scheduled to get married in a port we missed.

Often at best you are handed a sheet as you board if a port is changed or missed. If missed you get the port fees for that port refunded as obc. We actually had a protest march onboard, 99% newbies. They must not know those red and blue cards gave them away. They called radio stations and marched around. I tried to tell them but one was a lawyer so why would he listen to a seasoned cruiser, he had a law degree. Luckily you are past hurricane season.

Btw I think there are some august cruises that carnival says are going, including going to caymans. Caymans says closed until sept 1, maybe longer. ... and no notification yet so take that for what it's worth. 

Make sure any 3rd party excursion is refundable and understand cruises do miss ports. Could be civil unrest and they deem dangerous, a outbreak of covid etc. If you absolutely want a port, fly there.

Edited by firefly333
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, keywest1 said:

Agree.  We booked our Leap Day cruise on the Magic specifically for Antigua.   That got changed to Tortola, which was a

wonderful substitute.  But it could easily have been changed to another port that we wouldn't have been as excited about.

And see we booked it once it switched to Tortola, and now have a cruised booked with Antigua and Tortola again! 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I was on a cruise where someone scheduled to get married in a port we missed.

Often at best you are handed a sheet as you board if a port is changed or missed. If missed you get the port fees for that port refunded as obc. We actually had a protest march onboard, 99% newbies. They must not know those red and blue cards gave them away. They called radio stations and marched around. I tried to tell them but one was a lawyer so why would he listen to a seasoned cruiser, he had a law degree. Luckily you are past hurricane season.

Btw I think there are some august cruises that carnival says are going, including going to caymans. Caymans says closed until sept 1, maybe longer. ... and no notification yet so take that for what it's worth. 

Make sure any 3rd party excursion is refundable and understand cruises do miss ports. Could be civil unrest and they deem dangerous, a outbreak of covid etc. If you absolutely want a port, fly there.

LOL, the lawyer probably would be ready to sue if you went to a port threatened with a hurricane, and also be ready to sue if you did not go to the scheduled port just because there was a hurricane !

Hi Oldpeople.

Welcome to cruise critic.

I too am of the camp that if there is somewhere special that you want to go, or if there is somewhere you need to be for a special reason, don't count on getting there on a cruise. Book a land trip.

Cruises are great if you are flexible. Many people don't really understand that because the cruise lines aren't going to make any effort to highlight something that might discourage any potential customer. Most people who have any complaints about their cruise are complaining about something they clearly didn't understand when they booked. The cruise contract that everyone is agreeing to by completing the purchase allows the cruise line to make adjustments to almost everything about a booking without any required compensation. Very often, if there is a significant interruption to planned events, different companies will try to make it up for passengers, but this will be out of goodwill, and not a requirement.

Interesting thread and echo the congrats.  I will give a little different view point.  In 45+ cruises, we have missed one port of call.  That said, in these times, you just never know.  Our one time was after we sailed, sometimes it happens that way.  Like another post here, there was a group doing a wedding...at that port.  It was interesting watch (we friended a couple the first day (one of the great things about cruising) and they kept us up on what occurred.  It was surprising, while not what planned they adapted well, and it looked from the outside, that it happened as planned.  

16 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Interesting thread and echo the congrats.  I will give a little different view point.  In 45+ cruises, we have missed one port of call.  That said, in these times, you just never know.  Our one time was after we sailed, sometimes it happens that way.  Like another post here, there was a group doing a wedding...at that port.  It was interesting watch (we friended a couple the first day (one of the great things about cruising) and they kept us up on what occurred.  It was surprising, while not what planned they adapted well, and it looked from the outside, that it happened as planned.  

I'm going to echo Jimbo.  We've missed two scheduled ports in all our cruising to date.  And understand that excursions that you've booked with private vendors often require no money (or only a small deposit) up front.  Reputable ones (discussed at length here on the CC boards) will gladly refund if the ship cannot disembark pax.  Of course none of that risk exists with an excursion booked directly with Carnival. 

It should be noted that there are certain ports more likely to be scrubbed, usually because of challenging docking/tendering weather conditions.  Also, during hurricane season, entire itineraries can be necessarily changed although that most typically is announced in the days leading up to the cruise.   Try not to sweat it.  Missed ports are more the exception than the rule.

14 hours ago, Oldpeoplecruising said:

Thanks for the compliment on the name.   We are going on the April 10th cruise to Belize, Roatan, and Cozumel.     I have heard fantastic things about Belize. That is the one that I really dont want to miss.    I visited Honduras MANY MANY years ago during a mission trip and I dont remember being that impressed by it, but then again... I was on a mission trip and we saw the worst of the worst.   But the Carnival guy said that it would probably be the highlight of the trip.    As for Cozumel... I could take it or leave it.    SO touristy I hear.   But then again... I am sure most all of the ports will be.    But of all the ports, that is the one that I could take it or leave it.     

As others have mentioned, Belize requires a tender, which increases the chances of the port being cancelled due to weather. However, we have been to Belize multiple times and have never had an issue visiting this port. I think you are under-estimating Cozumel. Once you get away from the port area, there are a lot of beautiful areas around the island. 

8 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

As others have mentioned, Belize requires a tender, which increases the chances of the port being cancelled due to weather. However, we have been to Belize multiple times and have never had an issue visiting this port. I think you are under-estimating Cozumel. Once you get away from the port area, there are a lot of beautiful areas around the island. 

I agree, we have been to Cozumel 13 times on a cruise ship.  There is only one town, but the island offers many wonders, a truly great island.

We have only cruised during hurricane season as DW is a teacher. Yet in 12 cruises, we have never missed a port. The closest was when we actually did have a hurricane; we made all our ports, but spent an extra two days at sea before we could disembark in Fort Lauderdale.

However, the present situation with ports possibly saying we do not want cruise ships to dock due to health reasons may very well be different.