Ship Spotting in Southampton

I have just been enjoying the photos of Oceana and it got me thinking.  We would love to take the children to see which ships we could spot in Southampton at the moment, as they were sad to miss our Ventura Easter cruise.  Where is a good location if we were to drive down please?  Which ships (P&O and otherwise) are there?  Thanks in advance to those with local knowledge.

Posted (edited)

Aside from Oceana, which is now in Newcastle, all the current P&O fleet, Queen Victoria, Queen Mary 2, a couple of Royal Caribbean's, the Marella fleet and a couple of Silversea have used Southampton.   I'm not sure how often Southampton VTS is updating the cruise ship schedule which is now looking a million miles from the annual one posted, however the general Southampton VTS arrivals / departures should be up to date for all shipping in and out the port.   The cruise ships are going in and out the port regularly, either to free up a berth for another ship or to discharge grey (shower etc) water out at sea.

Someone with superior local knowledge may be better placed to help with the geography, but usually Mayflower Park is a good place to see the ships.   As for parking, I couldn't comment.

Edited by showingdiva

From Mayflower Park you can only see the ships in City and Mayflower cruise terminals, from some distance. The larger ships in Ocean and QE2 Terminals are obscured from there. You can drive into the docks area and drive along Herbert Walker Avenue, which takes you virtually alongside the ships in City and Mayflower terminals. Don’t be deterred by the security gates - public access is permissible, just drive in. If ships are going out to sea, Calshot Castle is a good viewing point, but is a 30 minute drive from Southampton. 

1 hour ago, annarack said:

Thank you both, that's great.

Hi tomorrow is a big day,

Carnival Breeze   106 berth

Empress of the sea  101 berth

Marella Explorer   104 berth

Q M.2                    46  berth

N.C.L  Star            38/9  berth    hope this helps and have a good day.

Posted (edited)

When I`m in Southampton, I use www.cruisetimetables.com to see which ship is in at the time.

I found Mayflower Park a good spot but as somebody else said, your view of Ocean Terminal & the QEII Terminal is obscured from there.

I did find - purely by accident - that if you walk to the pier by where the Red Jet Terminal ( Isle of Wight ferries ) is there is a car park there and a couple of benches at the far end, Great views of Ocean Terminal (The main P&O departure terminal) and the QEII Terminal and you can look back at City Cruise Terminal and Mayflower Cruise Terminals.

Hope that helps

Cruisefan2012

Edited by cruisefan2012
7 hours ago, cruisefan2012 said:

When I`m in Southampton, I use www.cruisetimetables.com to see which ship is in at the time.

I found Mayflower Park a good spot but as somebody else said, your view of Ocean Terminal & the QEII Terminal is obscured from there.

I did find - purely by accident - that if you walk to the pier by where the Red Jet Terminal ( Isle of Wight ferries ) is there is a car park there and a couple of benches at the far end, Great views of Ocean Terminal (The main P&O departure terminal) and the QEII Terminal and you can look back at City Cruise Terminal and Mayflower Cruise Terminals.

Hope that helps

Cruisefan2012

Good shout but don't tell everyone. 

We often grab a Starbucks and wander down. 

The scale between the IOW ferries, which on their own look large, and the cruise ships is stunning. 

Andy 

45 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Good shout but don't tell everyone. 

We often grab a Starbucks and wander down. 

The scale between the IOW ferries, which on their own look large, and the cruise ships is stunning. 

Andy 

We have always felt the same. We use the Red Funnel car ferries regularly and, as you say, they seem very big when you are on them yet, when you see one from a cruise ship, especially transiting down Southampton Water, they look minuscule! With your local knowledge Andy, is there a good place on the Southampton side of Southampton Water to watch the cruise ships once they are underway? Calshot is a bit of a drag. 

11 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

We have always felt the same. We use the Red Funnel car ferries regularly and, as you say, they seem very big when you are on them yet, when you see one from a cruise ship, especially transiting down Southampton Water, they look minuscule! With your local knowledge Andy, is there a good place on the Southampton side of Southampton Water to watch the cruise ships once they are underway? Calshot is a bit of a drag. 

Western shore is ideal, large car park overlooking the water or come down to us at Warsash spit, a little walk out through the nature reserve gets you a fantastic view. 

Andy 

4 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Western shore is ideal, large car park overlooking the water or come down to us at Warsash spit, a little walk out through the nature reserve gets you a fantastic view. 

Andy 

Thanks Andy. Where exactly is Western Shore? I can’t find it on the map. 

Be careful!

I have been able to see cruise ships from my office window when they use our bunkering facility.  It makes the itch  worse.  

Today i should have been traveling to Southampton to board Iona.  

The weather doesn’t look great in Norway.  My daughter suggested that I keep an eye on it because maybe if there is a week of rain I might feel better.  🤔 

10 hours ago, Selbourne said:

Thanks Andy. Where exactly is Western Shore? I can’t find it on the map. 

Over Itchen Bridge and head for Netley Abbey, you can't miss it. On the road to Royal Victoria Country Park, which is another nice spot with good views and interesting history. 

Andy