Letter of Apology

Mark56

Since I have not gotten an apology from Seabourn I thought I would help them out and give them a rough draft of one I would like to receive. I know they’re short staffed...

Dear Mark,

As the acting President of Seabourn Cruise Lines I want to apologize for the way we’ve mis-handled your refund. Our organization has been in chaos since global operations were discontinued and we frankly couldn’t handle all that was thrown at us. That said, I feel you were treated unfairly by having us delay your refund and I am going to personally take care of your refund today in full. I know this doesn’t make up for the 2 months that you have been patiently waiting. I also realize this was your first cruise with us and I regret our handling of the cancelation. We made a bad situation worse by our neglect.

Once cruise operations are safely back on line I will extend to you a 50% discount on a future cruise, valid for the next 5 years with no restrictions.  Deposits will be put in a third part escrow account if something disrupts your plans again. I will also work to make sure we have in place new policies that give priority to your satisfaction regarding cancelations and changes to itineraries. We want to have you back with us so we can show you a great time on the vacation you deserve and were denied. 

If you have any questions or concerns I urge you to contact me on my direct line xxx-xxx-xxxx.

Humbly Yours,

President Seabourn. 

• Like 2

Well, a 100% refund plus 50% discount on a future cruise to everyone affected should just about ensure the cruise industry gets wiped out. If you care to look at other boards you’ll find that you’re not alone and that a lot of people have had to wait longer than hoped for.

What’s wiping out the cruise industry is pissing off their existing customers by not giving their money back after months of waiting with no communication and no apology. 

I also don’t need to look at other boards. Saying that all the other cruise lines are doing it to others so don’t complain doesn’t fly with me. If I get treated poorly by a company who helped themselves to a free, no interest loan at my expense I have the right to complain about it. I run a business and if a disaster had hit us my customers would have gotten paid back first not last and I would have communicated with them about the situation early and often.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mark56 said:

What’s wiping out the cruise industry is pissing off their existing customers by not giving their money back after months of waiting with no communication and no apology. 

I also don’t need to look at other boards. Saying that all the other cruise lines are doing it to others so don’t complain doesn’t fly with me. If I get treated poorly by a company who helped themselves to a free, no interest loan at my expense I have the right to complain about it. I run a business and if a disaster had hit us my customers would have gotten paid back first not last and I would have communicated with them about the situation early and often.

Wonderful aspirational letter you wrote on SB's behalf. You are quite right about timely and accurate communication with customers. That is what allowed me to stay in business for nearly 40 years. 

What happened with SB and you before you wrote your letter?

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Mark56 said:

Saying that all the other cruise lines are doing it to others so don’t complain doesn’t fly with me. 

As well as it shouldn't.

I have posted here before that I got 2 Viking river deposits back in 3 days, American cruise line in about a month and best of all - THREE $1500 deposits (total $4500) from Oceania in 43 days and a full fare of $23000+ in 53 days.

Still waiting from SB for "measly" $2556 for 98 days as well as Princess & Crystal.

Edited by Paulchili
  • Thanks 1

I will never sail [insert cruise line here] again because of the way they treated me.

Well, since the other boards also have people who will never sail [insert cruise line here] again, I guess the number of people will stay the same.  There may be a transfer of cruisers from X cruise line to Y cruise line, but that will be offset by a number of cruisers transferring from Y cruise line to X cruise line.

• Haha 1

For me, the obvious fact is that Seabourn needs these interest free loans right now.  I am NOT saying it is right, but it is how some businesses are run.  We are know that there are many things that are done in the world that are not right, or fair to others.  

Edited by SLSD

SLSD - so true unfortunately.

Every company/organization is holding onto every dollar they can.

I work in the ad industry - clients have extended payments to us for MONTHS past their standard payment terms for television/radio/digital/print/outdoor placements that occurred going all the way back to pre-covid times. They did not ask us - they told us.

We in turn are not paying the radio and TV stations - until we are paid.

It is a vicious circle everyone is playing. Is it right - no. But what choice do we have?

Customers can only respond with their dollars (when they have them back in hand) once the industry is sailing again.

And I agree with an earlier poster - read every other board - it is happening to everyone effected with a cancelled sailing.

If by chance there is a cruise line out there that is the exception - then I guess we know where all the frustrated posters will be sailing. I for one will be on Seabourn as soon as I can !

4 minutes ago, robertmartha said:

And I agree with an earlier poster - read every other board - it is happening to everyone effected with a cancelled sailing.

If by chance there is a cruise line out there that is the exception - then I guess we know where all the frustrated posters will be sailing. I for one will be on Seabourn as soon as I can !

See my post #6 above. I just named 3 other lines that are doing much better than SB. There could be others but I personally know about these.

Whether you wish to cruise on them or stay with SB is another matter but don't say everyone is as bad as SB.

On 6/5/2020 at 6:33 PM, robertmartha said:

One your receive your refund - speak with your spending and sail with one of the other lines who you feel has handled this situation better.  

Yes indeed. Once the pandemic is over or there is a vaccine I’ll be happy to spend it with a cruise line that performed better in giving refunds and communicating to it’s customers.