Will Florida cruises start back up in August?

Hopefully the CDC doesn’t extend the no sail order again and leaves it up to the cruise lines and ports, including US ports, to decide when to resume cruises. This is just my opinion, but it seems the CDC is close to crossing the line between trying to protect people and deliberately trying to destroy the cruise industry.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pcur said:

The latest chart for FL is still showing a pretty steep climb in recent weeks. 

I’m sorry but I absolutely don’t consider anything coming from CNN to be accurate or factual. They have lost almost all credibility. This seems to be your only source. Florida is fine. Hospitalizations are not increasing. More testing is being done each day so numbers positive will continue to increase. We have a problem here with long term care facilities and the death rate is high in a couple of specific locations. Using number of positive has really turned out to be a useless number but works for CNN. Have you seen much discussion on CNN regarding COVID19 the last two weeks?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Hopefully the CDC doesn’t extend the no sail order again and leaves it up to the cruise lines and ports, including US ports, to decide when to resume cruises. This is just my opinion, but it seems the CDC is close to crossing the line between trying to protect people and deliberately trying to destroy the cruise industry.

I think the cdc is losing its credibility. People are just ignoring what they say. 

I personally think dr faucci has lost his credibility and loves the sound of his own voice. He wanted another 3 months of shelter in place because it kept him as a important voice. I'm not even sure he is part of cdc, I just think all these protests were the last straw. You cant allow all these protestors ignoring rules but say you cant get a hair cut. 

I could name some other things, but I dont think the cdc has the sway it did before. I really think cruises will go and it will be up to the cruisers to choose if they want to take the risk.

I think the cdc is losing its credibility. People are just ignoring what they say. 

I personally think dr faucci has lost his credibility and loves the sound of his own voice. He wanted another 3 months of shelter in place because it kept him as a important voice. I'm not even sure he is part of cdc, I just think all these protests were the last straw. You cant allow all these protestors ignoring rules but say you cant get a hair cut. 

I could name some other things, but I dont think the cdc has the sway it did before. I really think cruises will go and it will be up to the cruisers to choose if they want to take the risk.

People can ignore the CDC but foreign cruise lines can not. You can certainly decide to choose to take the risk but there won’t be a ship to get on out of the US until the CDC allows it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

People can ignore the CDC but foreign cruise lines can not. You can certainly decide to choose to take the risk but there won’t be a ship to get on out of the US until the CDC allows it.

Cdc order expires july 23rd.

Personally I think we will know about august sailings before the end of this month, long before the cdc says anything. Rcl is not going to wait until Cdc decides about extending and commenting to decide if a cruise is leaving august 1st. 

We will see which of us is right. 

Just now, firefly333 said:

Personally I think we will know about august sailings before the end of this month, long before the cdc says anything. Rcl is not going to wait until Cdc decides about extending and commenting to decide if a cruise is leaving august 1st. 

I hope it's you

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, molly361 said:

I hope it's you

It takes time to pull a crew together, move the ships. If rcl has any chance of cruising august 1st they cant wait around until July 23rd and see if the order is extended.

We will start seeing ships moving, more people will know if crew if being called back, or rcl will cancel august cruises by the end of the month.

I'm sure they are already talking to cdc and have some idea. Makes no sense they will be doing nothing until July 23rd and we will see no signs before then that they are getting ready.

RCL can announce cruises for August but they won’t happen unless the CDC allows them. Maybe they will allow them, maybe they won’t allow them. I am not making any predictions. RCL has announced a bunch of cruises that have not happened so announcing cruises and canceling won’t be anything new. Even if the CDC allows them there are ports that have to agree and the logistics of crewing the ships. September or October would be more likely.

• Like 1

On 6/6/2020 at 9:55 AM, graphicguy said:

Yes...I have a friend who works for GE.  GE provides the engines for a number of cruise ships.  He was furloughed right after the cruises cancelled sailings.  He was called back last week.

He inspects and prepares for proper operation and maintenance of those engines as GE is contracted to do.

He started back last week.  He mentioned he’ll be hopping from ship to ship for the next 90 days getting them ready to sail again.  I know he was on a Celebrity ship earlier this week and was heading to another yesterday, don’t know which one, though.

He mentioned he’s working on Celebrity and Royal, but also mentioned NCL.  But, someone said NCL doesn’t use GE engines.  So, not sure what he’s going to be doing for them.

I texted him about it yesterday, but haven’t heard back.  Cell and internet service is just as spotty for him as it is for us as passengers.  If I hear back, I’ll let everyone here know.

Millennium Class and Radiance Class (not sure if all), plus a few Princess and Holland America ships use the GE Turbines. Definitely curious to hear what he could be doing for NCL though. Thanks for the update!

2 hours ago, molly361 said:

I just completed my check in for our August Mariner cruise so  the answer is YES they will be cruising in August😇

As much as I hope our August cruise goes ahead, we were able to check in for our April, May, June and July cruises (6 in total) and none of them are going anywhere.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

RCL can announce cruises for August but they won’t happen unless the CDC allows them. Maybe they will allow them, maybe they won’t allow them. I am not making any predictions. RCL has announced a bunch of cruises that have not happened so announcing cruises and canceling won’t be anything new. Even if the CDC allows them there are ports that have to agree and the logistics of crewing the ships. September or October would be more likely.

You are missing my pt. completely. If rcl does or doesnt cancel august cruises by the end of this month will tell us a lot more than waiting until July 23rd order to expire.... we will know by what rcl does THIS month. 

I expect to hear a lot more information from the various cruiselines, long before the cdc speaks.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

You are missing my pt. completely. If rcl does or doesnt cancel august cruises by the end of this month will tell us a lot more than waiting until July 23rd order to expire.... we will know by what rcl does THIS month. 

I expect to hear a lot more information from the various cruiselines, long before the cdc speaks.

The cruiselines will need to prepare and probably by now at some point the logistics will need to be aranged to enable to operate cruises on select ships as of August. They can't wait for the cdc to decide somewhere in July if the no sail order will be prolonged or not. This makes me come again to the conclusion that if at all we will see 1-2 cruise ships sail out of Europe from RCL + X in Europe before cruising would begin out of the US.

13 minutes ago, LXA350 said:

The cruiselines will need to prepare and probably by now at some point the logistics will need to be aranged to enable to operate cruises on select ships as of August. They can't wait for the cdc to decide somewhere in July if the no sail order will be prolonged or not. This makes me come again to the conclusion that if at all we will see 1-2 cruise ships sail out of Europe from RCL + X in Europe before cruising would begin out of the US.

I do not see Europe cruises taking place first. 

My contact at RC said that initially cruises are likely to be the shorter sailings and will only go to Cococay and Labadee. It is getting into ports that is more of an issue.

Europe cruises tend to be made up from travelers from all over Europe and more international passenger percentages. Europe will have issues getting people to ports more so than in US where more passengers are able to drive to ports. Also cruise lines do not own private islands in Europe to take passengers to and generally do not offer many 5 night and less cruises.

it is currently more of a logistical issue getting crew back in place for the sailings and I understand they are working on the number of onboard staff required to be able to sail. I got the impression they are not expecting to sail close to full capacity.

Edited by Spurschick

12 minutes ago, LXA350 said:

Which is almost word for word what I wrote earlier.

They gotta get crews in place, move ships etc.

We will know long before cdc speaks.... by what the cruiseline is doing. I had to reread your post twice, at first I thought was a copy of my earlier post. I agree obviously with you.

I don’t think the CDC will wait until July. They will probably say something this month. But if they don’t RCL might as well cancel any August sailings out of the US.

15 minutes ago, Spurschick said:

I do not see Europe cruises taking place first. 

My contact at RC said that initially cruises are likely to be the shorter sailings and will only go to Cococay and Labadee. It is getting into ports that is more of an issue.

Europe cruises tend to be made up from travelers from all over Europe and more international passenger percentages. Europe will have issues getting people to ports more so than in US where more passengers are able to drive to ports. Also cruise lines do not own private islands in Europe to take passengers to and generally do not offer many 5 night and less cruises.

it is currently more of a logistical issue getting crew back in place for the sailings and I understand they are working on the number of onboard staff required to be able to sail. I got the impression they are not expecting to sail close to full capacity.

Let's wait and see. On one hand it was said that Europe or Asia might be ready for cruising earlier and then something was mentioned about shorter cruises to go first. I think such statements were both made by Bayler and or Fain even.

Concerning the filling of the ship, by August traveling all over Europe will be possible without Quarantine restrictions. Also means of transport such as Air Travel will make it posible to reach the cruise port cities easily. Should RCL sail this year in Europe it will be with 1-2 instead of 6 ships. Assuming that the ships that will sail might be Allure and maybe Anthem, the loads can be as low as 30% to make it feasible to sail. The first cruises are not about getting ships with high occupancy rate it will be a bit of a experiment to test and develop the new concepts in practice in real operation with guests.

16 minutes ago, LXA350 said:

Let's wait and see. On one hand it was said that Europe or Asia might be ready for cruising earlier and then something was mentioned about shorter cruises to go first. I think such statements were both made by Bayler and or Fain even.

Concerning the filling of the ship, by August traveling all over Europe will be possible without Quarantine restrictions. Also means of transport such as Air Travel will make it posible to reach the cruise port cities easily. Should RCL sail this year in Europe it will be with 1-2 instead of 6 ships. Assuming that the ships that will sail might be Allure and maybe Anthem, the loads can be as low as 30% to make it feasible to sail. The first cruises are not about getting ships with high occupancy rate it will be a bit of a experiment to test and develop the new concepts in practice in real operation with guests.

We shall see. But given P&O extended cancellations of all their cruises until the end of October this week and they sail from Europe I do not see them being  that optimistic, especially given the announcement came as Europe was loosening travel restrictions.

Edited by Spurschick

Getting crew back is probably the easiest part as most of these people need these jobs

to support themselves and their families. Getting the various and diverse entertainment

personnel is going to be the real challenge as I believe they have more options.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, atanac said:

Getting crew back is probably the easiest part as most of these people need these jobs

to support themselves and their families. Getting the various and diverse entertainment

personnel is going to be the real challenge as I believe they have more options.

As they still working on getting crew home after cruise been cancelled for weeks I don’t think it’s that easy. Look at how long that is taking.

If if you look at the number of crew needed for these ships and the fact that international flights are not fully resumed it will take time. 

Also, given that all these crew are not on current contracts so new contracts will need to be done and with no definite start up date it will not be as quick as people think.

Edited by Spurschick

4 hours ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Have you seen much discussion on CNN regarding COVID19 the last two weeks?

Nope.  I think a couple weeks ago they felt that a couple hundred people partying in the Ozarks was going to destroy western civilization.  Since then, large group gatherings are apparently OK.

• Like 3

You know they have not been able to get the crew home? There are still thousands in limbo on ships.

3 minutes ago, bouhunter said:

Nope.  I think a couple weeks ago they felt that a couple hundred people partying in the Ozarks was going to destroy western civilization.  Since then, large group gatherings are apparently OK.

Update as I live close to the area. Only one has tested positive from Covid-19 since that gathering.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, bouhunter said:

And the Governor of NY set a fine for those not following the lockdown.  However his fine hasn’t had much effect in the last week or so. 

• Haha 1