Fall TA Crossing Canceled

BeignetBoy

Our TA just sent us an email indicating that she was contacted by SeaDream and notified of a cancellation of the fall westbound from Malaga scheduled to depart on October 24.  They are offering a refund, or a 120% credit for trips made before the end of 2022.   Did anyone else receive such a call?

If I remember correctly, this crossing was almost completely booked and some guests were concerned about a full ship on a two week crossing.  So, I don't think that they would cancel it for a minor reason. The cancellation date to receive a refund less the $50 deduction was upcoming in a few weeks, and the final payments weren't due until late July.    I wonder if this indicates a major change in their future plans, or if this is a mere cancellation for a charter or dry dock plans.

The website still shows that the crossing is planned, but the website is often behind in terms of correct information.

Does anyone have any more information?

Thanks

I can confirm that the voyage is cancelled.  I heard from a friend about the cancellation.  He forwarded the email from SD notifying him of the cancellation.  I also called SD and they did in fact confirm the cancellation.  They mentioned that the SDI crossing is still on, leaving a week earlier but interestingly that voyage has been removed from the website.

We are now 2 for 2 in crossings cancelled in 2020.  Here's hoping that 2021 will be kinder to us and to SeaDream.

11 hours ago, ctbjr1309 said:

I can confirm that the voyage is cancelled.  I heard from a friend about the cancellation.  He forwarded the email from SD notifying him of the cancellation.  I also called SD and they did in fact confirm the cancellation.  They mentioned that the SDI crossing is still on, leaving a week earlier but interestingly that voyage has been removed from the website.

We are now 2 for 2 in crossings cancelled in 2020.  Here's hoping that 2021 will be kinder to us and to SeaDream.

Key is why - no repositioning of the ship(s) or other?

Under all the current uncertainty  they why is very important not just for those who were booked on it but for the rest of us trying to figure out whether it is prudent to make longer term plans with deposits again (or not).

Thanks in advance for any further insights.

The "why" is unknown at this time. Our TA forwarded the email and here is the quote from the relevant issues..

"We want to thank you for your patience and continued support as we navigate unprecedented circumstances.  The COVID-19 situation along with the travel restrictions being implemented by governments worldwide have presented many difficulties for travel.

Due to recent travel restrictions imposed in our industry, we are pausing operations for our upcoming Voyage 22041 October 24, 2020.  As a result of this, we are offering affected guests on this voyage a 120% future voyage certificate to be used on any published voyage prior to December 31, 2022.  The amount will be based on the total voyage fare paid."

As you can see, they are stating that it is because of travel restrictions imposed on the industry.  And as everyone can see, the website isn't current on their plans as it shows no crossing on SDI and still shows the crossing on SDII as currently planned, and a full slate of Caribbean voyages throughout the winter on both ships. 

I imagine that this will all shake out over the next few weeks for those who are wanting to make future plans.  We don't plan on booking anything new until things stabilize on the virus front, or until a vaccine is available.  As of now, we have three future crossings booked on SDII over the next two years.  And we have a Viking cruise credit to use in the next two years.  

We love the SeaDream experience, largely due to the staff.  Let's all hope that it somehow gets back to where we can look forward to regular fun voyages on our favorite ship.  If not, there are alternatives that we will have to explore..  

I enquired yesterday about the cancellation of the SDII crossing, specifically as to how this would impact the SDI & SDII Caribbean schedules.  I was told that SDII was going into dry dock for "a couple of weeks" and that the Caribbean schedules were unchanged.  I guess we shall see.

58 minutes ago, cabosal1 said:

I enquired yesterday about the cancellation of the SDII crossing, specifically as to how this would impact the SDI & SDII Caribbean schedules.  I was told that SDII was going into dry dock for "a couple of weeks" and that the Caribbean schedules were unchanged.  I guess we shall see.

Remember that sd2 was supposed to go across empty and have dry dock this spring for renovations.  This was cxl due to Covid

37 minutes ago, Scspartan76 said:

Remember that sd2 was supposed to go across empty and have dry dock this spring for renovations.  This was cxl due to Covid

The difference here is the TA is cancelled AFTER the supposed dry dock not before.  The reason Spring 2020 TA was cancelled was to prep the ship before the dry dock work.  Why cancel a TA after the work has been done, especially if as claimed the Caribbean schedule is unchanged?  Perhaps it is to finish the work in some fashion or allow any bugs to be fixed?  Seems a bit odd that dry dock with any extensive work would go forward when SD claimed there were so many refunds requested for future voyages they couldn’t process them on time.  Maybe SD finances are actually stronger?  Wish SD would speak up but I’m not going to wait for any official word.

2 hours ago, JES4845 said:

The difference here is the TA is cancelled AFTER the supposed dry dock not before.  The reason Spring 2020 TA was cancelled was to prep the ship before the dry dock work.  Why cancel a TA after the work has been done, especially if as claimed the Caribbean schedule is unchanged?  Perhaps it is to finish the work in some fashion or allow any bugs to be fixed?  Seems a bit odd that dry dock with any extensive work would go forward when SD claimed there were so many refunds requested for future voyages they couldn’t process them on time.  Maybe SD finances are actually stronger?  Wish SD would speak up but I’m not going to wait for any official word.

There is plenty of work that can be done after the vessel leaves dock.  If they use the weeks in dock to the fullest they do not have to spend time cleaning in dock,  but can clean up and finish the small stuff when sailing empty

5 minutes ago, Scspartan76 said:

There is plenty of work that can be done after the vessel leaves dock.  If they use the weeks in dock to the fullest they do not have to spend time cleaning in dock,  but can clean up and finish the small stuff when sailing empty

Helpful.  I seem to recall problems in the past when there was a voyage with paying guests right after a dry dock - perhaps they don’t want to repeat those?

33 minutes ago, JES4845 said:

Helpful.  I seem to recall problems in the past when there was a voyage with paying guests right after a dry dock - perhaps they don’t want to repeat those?

I have done a crossing without ac for 10days... not plessant.  So if they sail empty to avoid stuff like that .. then they get my praise

On 6/4/2020 at 6:06 PM, BeignetBoy said:

Our TA just sent us an email indicating that she was contacted by SeaDream and notified of a cancellation of the fall westbound from Malaga scheduled to depart on October 24.  They are offering a refund, or a 120% credit for trips made before the end of 2022.   Did anyone else receive such a call?

Be sure you ask for a refund, not the 120% credit. That starts the count-down clock AND SeaDream either immediately - or after a little time will - come back with a better offer.  Probably more like 150%.  Remember, they are cash starved so will bend over backwards to keep your money.

2 minutes ago, ExoticDestinations said:

Be sure you ask for a refund, not the 120% credit. That starts the count-down clock AND SeaDream either immediately - or after a little time will - come back with a better offer.  Probably more like 150%.  Remember, they are cash starved so will bend over backwards to keep your money.

Why do you want to force a company out of business? The best thing for any tourism company is that everyone rebooks and not ask for refunds.  But of course everyone can do as they want. But for us that love to cruise it is important that we save the industry not cripple it