Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
Trixie21

Best Price Guarantee in the UK

Previously in the UK if we saw a better price after we had booked , the only option was to cancel , lose your deposit and rebook (occasionally they would allow you one free change as part of an early booking promotion , but usually only within about a month of booking).

They now advertise a Best Price Guarantee on the UK website which allows you to reprice your booking with no penalty , or if it is inside final payment you can get onboard credit for the difference. 

My question is how many times can you do this- my travel agent has been told by several RC people on the phone that it is one free change (I have already repriced once) but nowhere on the website or in the terms and conditions can I find a mention that it can only be done once.

I am aware that under US terms and conditions you can do it an unlimited number of times.

Anyone in the UK have any experience of using Best price Guatantee , or more specifically using it more than once on the same booking?

I have not had experience yet.  However I called to book a cruise yesterday and asked about this and was told it only applies to cruises booked by August and that can be done  whenever you see a price drop (no mention of a restriction on number of times, it can be done).  I was told that if Tesco vouchers are used then Best Price Guarantee can not be applied.

Hi, I am in the UK too, I usually book direct with RCI in the UK as I find that with some UK TA's once they have your booking they don't want to know about helping you further or we have a US TA which is good for when the exchange rate was better or the prices can be much lower.   From my experience the UK RCI phone line can vary depending on which operator you speak with, some are great and if not sure will check for you, some believe they know every rule and refuse to check even when you know you are in the right, I find calling back and speaking with someone else usually sorts it out.  We had a cruise back in May which was cancelled, but before that happened I was able to call a few times and either upgrade or reprice, only once I was told it could not be done, but as I'd been told by another operator a few days before it wasn't an issue I persisted and eventually got it.  Hope this helps.

We always used a US Travel Agent purely for reclaiming $$$ every time a price dropped - sadly, the exchange rate doesn't make it worth it these days.

I remember in 2006 we had a TA from Miami to Southampton where we claimed 6 lots of price changes lol - those were the days.

I did look at the Price Match on the UK website but noted that all the fares had gone up a lot on the two bookings we currently have.

To be honest, it does worry me that local travel agents will suffer as I think people will be more inclined to book direct with Royal - but I guess Royal need to save all those 17% commissions right now.

1 minute ago, welshrich said:

Hi, I am in the UK too, I usually book direct with RCI in the UK as I find that with some UK TA's once they have your booking they don't want to know about helping you further or we have a US TA which is good for when the exchange rate was better or the prices can be much lower.   From my experience the UK RCI phone line can vary depending on which operator you speak with, some are great and if not sure will check for you, some believe they know every rule and refuse to check even when you know you are in the right, I find calling back and speaking with someone else usually sorts it out.  We had a cruise back in May which was cancelled, but before that happened I was able to call a few times and either upgrade or reprice, only once I was told it could not be done, but as I'd been told by another operator a few days before it wasn't an issue I persisted and eventually got it.  Hope this helps.

Thanks.

I am aware of the variability of phone operators.

My travel agent is independent and lives just a few houses down from me so I know her very well and I know she will do her very best for me so no issues there.

It is good to know that you have repriced a number of times and also upgraded as we our potentially looking at that as well.

I would like to think the new cruise with confidence  best price match offer is across the board. The rules don't say anything about only being allowed to do it once but who knows!? RC has a habit of adding clauses into UK bookings.  The operators are certainly more reluctant when you ask for anything. 

I have been successful in the past - maybe it's who you get on the end if the phone. If at first you don't succeed and all that ....

I got it in writing (via their Facebook Page) that UK Bookings can re-price as much as you want

46 minutes ago, swoopy2110 said:

I got it in writing (via their Facebook Page) that UK Bookings can re-price as much as you want

Thanks for this info - I have just messaged them so I will be very interested in their reply!

8 minutes ago, Trixie21 said:

Thanks for this info - I have just messaged them so I will be very interested in their reply!

Just got a very quick response confirming that we can reprice more than once - great to have it in writing.

The telephone operators do not seem to know this!

Happy to report my travel agent has now successfully repriced one of our reservations which previously had been denied to her. 

Very much depends who you talk to!