VACCINE NEWS-Keep your fingers crossed...

6 hours ago, DHADEN said:

The "Flu Vaccine" is not a real Vaccine.  It is more like a "Flu Preventative". (that's what they should call it instead of misusing "vaccine").

The Polio Vaccine keeps you from EVER getting the polio - that's what a real vaccine is.  Hopefully the Covid-19 Vaccine will do the same.

Hi,

Where did you read "The "Flu Vaccine" is not a real Vaccine"?

All vaccines prevent the disease within some time period.

What you are mentioning is "Vaccine durability" or how long 

do they last. Yes, some last your lifetime, some need a booster 

after 10 years and some only last for a few months to a year (flu). But 

they are all preventable. Yes, you are correct that the flu vaccine

doesn't last forever but that is due to many factors. But yes, if you

get the correct strain of flu vaccine it WILL prevent you get the FLU

and it is a vaccine. Interestingly, even if you get the wrong strain 

(usually a mixture of 3 strains) there is a degree of crossreactivity

and you will be partially immune to some strains (you get the flu

but your not as sick).

• Like 1

Maybe we should start using nicotine patches because research is showing smokers are less likely to get the virus. COVID does not like nicotine. I'm a smoker, but if I wasn't I would ask my doctor for the patch.

You can't really "build up" your immune system.  You can keep it healthy with good practices, like good eating habits, moderate exercise and getting enough sleep.

I was traveling internationally a few times a year before this lockdown and asked my doctor about improving immune system and he basically said exercise and sleep, and avoid sick people and stress.

3 hours ago, LorraineP said:

I don’t get the flu shot & only once years ago had the flu. And that was some 40 years ago. Call it what it is - luck or healthy life style. 

Exercise and clean healthy diet goes a long way. Diet first and formost which in united states most people eat out of a box and dont exercise. Wonder why their sick....hypertension,type 2 diabetic,obese etc... .. best defense against viruses is being healthy to start off with. Im 48 yrs old,never had flu vaccine,never had flu. Havent had a cold in over 2 years. Ride my bike 200 miles a week and eat vegan. No meds..... wont get covid vaccine if it ever does come to fruition. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, rtazz17 said:

Exercise and clean healthy diet goes a long way. Diet first and formost which in united states most people eat out of a box and dont exercise. Wonder why their sick....hypertension,type 2 diabetic,obese etc... .. best defense against viruses is being healthy to start off with. Im 48 yrs old,never had flu vaccine,never had flu. Havent had a cold in over 2 years. Ride my bike 200 miles a week and eat vegan. No meds..... wont get covid vaccine if it ever does come to fruition. 

Good for you.  Personally as long as a vaccine protects me from getting C19 , I don't care if you get it or not.  Not being snarky - just being honest.  Your choice and as long as your choice doesn't effect me then you are more than welcome to pass on any preventative medicines.

21 hours ago, crewsweeper said:

Yes, others are developing vaccines as well.  But let's remember vaccines are preventative not cure-alls.

Example for the seasonal flu, about 40% of those getting a vaccine still get the flu and less than 1/2 the population who should get a vaccine do so.

Agreed...I heard it said that the Flu Vaccine is only 60% effective, the yearly figures are bad as far as deaths, etc, and that it is the elderly and those with medical conditions that are the most vulnerable. Year after year.

So a vaccine, although not a bad thing,  is not the miracle cure people are hoping it will be.

I'm a Health Care professional, and I can tell you right now, when a vaccine becomes available, it will be given to the elderly and those with medical conditions. Dr.'s have a list who to administer it to, and those are the people on it.

The young and healthy have never been a big concern.
If you are young and healthy, you may have to wait.

Edited by B-52

Hope the vaccine is available.  Covid isn't "like the flu".  We should all get the vaccine- many people who live a healthy life style still succumb to this virus- over 109,000 in the USA alone.  

You might not get the virus, but be a carrier- in order to protect yourself and your friends and family, get immunized when the vaccine is safe and available.  Just had the antibody test, as did my husband.  It is negative.  We surely will get the vaccine!  If we do not have a vaccination yet-who knows how effective it is?

Edited by Cruise a holic
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, B-52 said:

Agreed...I heard it said that the Flu Vaccine is only 60% effective, the yearly figures are bad as far as deaths, etc, and that it is the elderly and those with medical conditions that are the most vulnerable. Year after year.

So a vaccine, although not a bad thing,  is not the miracle cure people are hoping it will be.

I'm a Health Care professional, and I can tell you right now, when a vaccine becomes available, it will be given to the elderly and those with medical conditions. Dr.'s have a list who to administer it to, and those are the people on it.

What list? 

I wont be among the first in line either , I don't get flu shots , so I wont be getting this one .

I don't even like buying first year model cars , you know , so they can work out the bugs .

I always wait for second year production , as they seem to be more refined .

I can wait to cruise , no rush for me .

I`ll see how this new vaccine pans out on the sidelines for now.

You guys go ahead .

Cheers .

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Cruise a holic said:

Hope the vaccine is available.  Covid isn't "like the flu".  We should all get the vaccine- many people who live a healthy life style still succumb to this virus- over 109,000 in the USA alone.  

You might not get the virus, but be a carrier- in order to protect yourself and your friends and family, get immunized when the vaccine is safe and available.  Just had the antibody test, as did my husband.  It is negative.  We surely will get the vaccine!  If we do not have a vaccination yet-who knows how effective it is?

And maybe you should decide what is right for you and not tell everyone else what is right for them.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, B-52 said:

Guinea pigs for the rushed vaccine.......I wish them luck. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

What list? 

Pretty much every doctor's office is computerized and can in a matter of minutes extract all patients over a certain age as well as patients with conditions that would be in the Covid-19 risk zone.

It is much to early, in he ast it took years to develop reliable vaccines. Hence also now, if there will be something around by next year we don't even know if it's better to have the risk to catch COVID-19 or to get the Vaccine.

23 hours ago, crewsweeper said:

Yes, others are developing vaccines as well.  But let's remember vaccines are preventative not cure-alls.

Example for the seasonal flu, about 40% of those getting a vaccine still get the flu and less than 1/2 the population who should get a vaccine do so.

Not the same thing at all.  The covid vaccine works in a very specific way.  It's not the flu at all.  Flu vaccines are selected each year based on the best guess of what strain will be out.  Read up on the covid vaccine.

I really wish people would do research before spouting that there are going to be "guinea pigs" who take  it first, etc.  First, this vaccine is riding on the back of research that was done for SARS as it's the same family of virus, second, there has been testing done and so far, it's gone great.  My DH and I are 60 and 63 and will gladly get the vaccine as soon as possible.

Edited by BND
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, boscobeans said:

Pretty much every doctor's office is computerized and can in a matter of minutes extract all patients over a certain age as well as patients with conditions that would be in the Covid-19 risk zone.

That was not how I interpreted that post of us having a list but, ok, I'll buy your explanation.

2 hours ago, B-52 said:

Once again, the covid vaccine is not the same as the flu one.  Are you sure you're a healthcare professional?  Are you an administrator?  Nurse, orderly, Dr?  In infectious disease?  A lot of people can say they're healthcare professionals but have zero knowledge about infectious diseases.  You know the polio vaccine is against a virus is basically 100% effective, right?  300 million doses in the US will cover the entire population who want to get it, so while they will start with the high risk, they will have it for everyone who wants it pretty darn quickly. 

I also personally think that at least for the first year or so, in order to cruise, you will have to prove you've had the vaccine.

Edited by BND

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

And maybe you should decide what is right for you and not tell everyone else what is right for them.

But the actions of others impacts all of us.  Of course all can do as they believe is best for them and their friends and family.  But my decision isn't just about me.  I would be cautious of course, and surely not be the first to get vaccinated until I am comfortable that the vaccinations are relatively safe.

2 hours ago, B-52 said:

Nonsense, I have been in healthcare over 30 years, and recommendations on whom to inoculate would NEVER be distributed BEFORE a vaccine is available. This type of misinformation just confuses people and needs to be taken down  

• Like 1

On 6/5/2020 at 10:09 AM, boscobeans said:

ASTRAZENECA just announced that the vaccine they have developed has been VERY safe and successful in OVER TEN THOUSAND patients.

To avoid any lag time between approval and delivery they are moving ahead with production and will, if approved, be able to ship 300 million doses to the United States in SEPTEMBER of this year, and 2 billion worldwide.

21 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

If you do a little further reading on this topic, the post is quite misleading.  The vaccine has NOT been effective in "over 10,000 patients as stated".  Oxford enrolled 10,260 patients in their study; the study follows a 1,000-patient phase 1 trial that still hasn't turned out top-line data. Phase 2 and phase 3 haven't even begun, and no product will be available for human use until this is done.

Granted; good news and progress, but no where near "ready for prime time."

https://www.fiercepharma.com/manufacturing/astrazeneca-oxford-biomedica-agree-to-1-year-tie-up-to-produce-covid-19-vaccine

1 hour ago, BND said:

Not the same thing at all.  The covid vaccine works in a very specific way.  It's not the flu at all.  Flu vaccines are selected each year based on the best guess of what strain will be out.  Read up on the covid vaccine.

I really wish people would do research before spouting that there are going to be "guinea pigs" who take  it first, etc.  First, this vaccine is riding on the back of research that was done for SARS as it's the same family of virus, second, there has been testing done and so far, it's gone great.  My DH and I are 60 and 63 and will gladly get the vaccine as soon as possible.

Covid 19 is a mutating RNA virus EXACTLY like the flu. 
A Covid 19 vaccine will NOT act like a measles, smallpox, or polio vaccine. 
There are already 14 identified mutations of Covid 19 that the current vaccines are being tested against; next year there could quite possibly be more. 
A Covid 19 vaccine, if successful, would function the same as the current flu vaccine. It would be a different cocktail every year based on research of mutation trends, and a scientific postulation of what the next strains will be. 

Edited by not-enough-cruising
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

What list? 

When new vaccines come out, or there is a shortage, there is a prioritization. Healthcare workers and first responders, elderly, those with pre existing conditions are called to get it before young and healthy people. 

7 minutes ago, MommaBear55 said:

When new vaccines come out, or there is a shortage, there is a prioritization. Healthcare workers and first responders, elderly, those with pre existing conditions are called to get it before young and healthy people. 

The point is, however, there is no vaccine, therefore there is no list. 
Pharmaceutical prioritization is not a one size fits all proposition. Only after a drug is approved and distribution planned would there be directives on who receives it and in what order (if indeed there is a need for such rationing)