Royal Refuses To Allow Use Of FCC’s

11 hours ago, xpcdoojk said:

Next time use a travel agent, and let them deal with the details.  Or you can be cheap and try to do it yourself.

Good luck...

jc

Cheap? How is not using a travel agent being cheap? If anything they are spending more by not using one.

the biggest issue with the post is the first part does not outline the issue.

I received a FCC the email (attached) stated that I could use the credit online.  I booked another cruise using the FCC online, there was a 300.00 difference that was paid by credit card.  Upon completing my booking it showed the full amount as being on the credit card pending validation of the FCC.  I received an email stating the FCC were approved, however the amount charged to my CC was not reduced.  Calling RCL I was told that FCC cannot be used online contrary to the attached emails.

I would like to have the FCC applied to the cruise and my CC charge reversed.

On 6/6/2020 at 11:15 AM, Jeannie333333 said:

the last two guys have much more patience than me.  I cannot easily read such a long post, with no spaces or paragraphs and written in small type.   So no idea what the issue is.

Whatever the OP is wishing to raise, good luck and hopefully if you sent it to RCI exec Team as suggested above, it will be laid out in a much more readable format 🙂 

Hope this is better.

Royal Caribbean refuses to allow me to use my cruise credits despite following all instructions exactly as they advised. I originally booked a Royal Caribbean cruise in January 2020 for a sailing date of May 11th 2020 on the Independence of the Seas. All cruises were canceled due to the global pandemic. Royal Caribbean offered consumers 2 options. Consumers could request a full refund for their canceled cruise. Or consumers could receive a 125% future cruise credit based on the original cruise amount paid rather than receiving a refund. I opted for the 125% future cruise credit. I received the future cruise credits in the form of certificate numbers via email on 4/29/2020. I received 3 cruise credit certificates each in the amount of $477.00 (one certificate for each passenger). The email from Royal Caribbean containing the credits states the following, "To redeem your future cruise credits, please contact your travel advisor or visit our website to book your new sailing and apply your credit." On 5/19/2020, I visited Royal Caribbean's website at www.RoyalCaribbean.com to book a new sailing using the future cruise credit certificates. I found a cruise similar in price to our original booking and entered the future cruise credits to be applied to the booking. During the booking process, I was instructed to enter the future cruise credit certificates to be applied to the new booking. I followed the provided instructions, entered the certificate codes, and the website showed the certificates were recognized and would be applied to the new booking. The new booking was slightly higher in price (approximately $300), so I was also instructed to enter a form of payment to cover the difference in price that was not covered by the cruise credits. I entered a personal credit card. After processing, the final confirmation page showed a total price of $1736.04. However, it also stated that an updated an invoice would be sent after the future cruise credits were applied. The confirmation page stated my future cruise credits needed to be reviewed for validity. Once reviewed and confirmed, a new invoice would be sent showing the updated total with the future cruise credits applied. I received an email confirmation showing a total $1736.04 on 5/19/2020. Within 1 minute, I also received 3 emails from Royal Caribbean showing my future cruise credits and stating the following: "Your future cruise credits were applied successfully and a new booking invoice with the reduced fare will be sent to the email address on file." I never received a new invoice and when I received my credit card statement I found that I had been charged for the full amount of $1736.04 on 5/20/2020. I contacted Royal Caribbean Customer Service via phone (800-256-6649) at 656pm MST on 6/1/2020. After speaking with a Supervisor, I was informed that my future cruise credits could not be applied to Reservation ID 541344 because I had already paid in full. I explained that I followed the instructions provided by Royal Caribbean and booked my cruise online using the future cruise certificates provided. I explained that I received a confirmation email from Royal Caribbean on 5/19/2020 confirm my cruise credits had been applied and advising me that I would receive an updated invoice with the lower fare. I was informed by a Supervisor that this was incorrect and future cruise credits cannot be applied online as stated in the email sent to consumers who chose this option. .The Supervisor stated that the cruise credits could not be applied to this booking and could only be used for future bookings. She said the only way these credits could have been used was via phone, which contradicts prior communication. She stated they will not apply the credits to the second booking and cannot make any adjustments to the fare. She said the amount overpaid must be granted in yet another fcc that I don’t want. So I’ve now paid for this 1 cruise twice with even more fcc’s on the way that I don’t want. I feel this is a predatory practice designed to trick consumers into spending more than intended. Royal Caribbean is not following the terms the provided to consumers and it appears they are attempting to capitalize on the fact that consumers were forced to cancel due to the pandemic. I’m only asking for them to allow me to use the fcc’s they provided in accordance with their instructions. But they continually refuse to assist or apply the credits as originally advised. I’m so disgusted I’m just ready to drop the whole thing and file chargebacks with my credit card company. Royal is ruining their reputation. They’re forcing consumers to spend more than they intended and I refuse to accept it. 

On 6/6/2020 at 8:23 AM, Shotgunblasting said:

I apologize, formatting such as paragraph and font size were lost when this was copied + pasted over from the complaint I sent RCIs executive team (personal info edited out).

I sympathize.  We, too, are involved in a conflict with Royal.  They are violating the terms of their own contract--we are not.  We have spoken to Royal, and our Travel Agent, who agrees that Royal is violating their own contract, has spoken to Royal.  In essence, their answer to us and our Travel agent was Too Bad; We're doing what we're doing--take it or leave it and leave your money with us, too.  They, obviously, have absolutely no concern for their customers.  When we choose to cruise again, it certainly doesn't have to be with Royal.  They won't miss us, but if they keep treating customers as they are treating you and us, they will begin to notice some holes in their bookings; some people won't come back.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Pstreet12 said:

I sympathize.  We, too, are involved in a conflict with Royal.  They are violating the terms of their own contract--we are not.  We have spoken to Royal, and our Travel Agent, who agrees that Royal is violating their own contract, has spoken to Royal.  In essence, their answer to us and our Travel agent was Too Bad; We're doing what we're doing--take it or leave it and leave your money with us, too.  They, obviously, have absolutely no concern for their customers.  When we choose to cruise again, it certainly doesn't have to be with Royal.  They won't miss us, but if they keep treating customers as they are treating you and us, they will begin to notice some holes in their bookings; some people won't come back.

Sounds like the basis for a class action lawsuit.

• Like 1

Royal cancelled our Brilliance cruise and we took the FCC.  Applied it to 3 of our next cruises no problems.  Not sure why there is so much emotion here?

Also got our money back from a non refundable flight on Air2sea as well as moved our reward flight with no issues on Air Canada.  

Edited by Magicat

The "emotion" wouldn't be here if everyone had received the treatment you did; the "emotion" is because at least two of us received nothing like the treatment you did.  Royal is not meeting what would be considered by most to be "normal business practices."  People tend to get "emotional" when they are being bilked out of money--especially, by a company that, until now, had been trusted.  It's like having a friend steal money from you; that tends to make for hostility and causes an end to what had been a friendship. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Magicat said:

Oh forgot to mention we called.

I called, too.  Literally hours on the phone:  8 by the time it was concluded with the final no.  Our travel agent's supervisor called them:  the answer was no.  Later, our travel agent called them himself:  the answer was no.

The solution to the problem does not lie in making a phone call versus not making one.  The opening poster spent even more hours on the phone with them than I did.  I'll wager the opening poster understands credit card disputes better than anyone else posting on this thread.  It hasn't done him any good, at least so far.

Because it went well for you, consider yourself lucky, but don't be so naïve as to think it would have been the same for others if they had simply done as you did.  You were lucky:  end of story.

• Like 1

I’d like to give everyone an update on developments in the past week or so. 

As @Pstreet12 mentioned, I have worked in billing disputes for major banks for many years so I knew that was always my final option, but filing a dispute does tend to often cancel your booking. Even if it’s simply a case of being overcharged or a simple error. I’ve seen too many horror stories from customers who file a dispute with their credit card, everything gets straightened out correctly, the merchant gets the money they’re owed - but the customer shows up to the booking (be it a hotel, flight, or cruise) only to find out the merchant completely canceled their service due to the dispute. It’s like a petty way of pushing back. 

As a last ditch effort before filing a credit card claim, I decided to make 1 more attempt to get someone on the phone with Royal who would empathize and attempt to assist. I spent a total of 8 hours on the phone going up the chain to different members of management only to once again and unequivocally be told NO. In effect, “Sorry About Your Luck.” Royal said they will keep my $ and only allow it for future bookings. 

Several days later - an invoice showing the correct amount actually showed up in my inbox! It showed the correct amount I should have been charged if the FCCs were applied (which ended up being 521.04). So to remind everyone, the issue is that instead of charging me 521.04, Royal charged me $1736.04 because they didn’t originally apply the FCCs and now won’t refund me the difference, which is $1,215.  

Sending me that invoice actually helps my credit card dispute case because it shows they understand exactly what happened but still refuse to refund me the difference. So I called my Credit Card and filed a dispute. Also filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. Hopefully I can get a resolution without Royal forced-canceling my booking like often happens when a dispute is filed. 

Edited by Shotgunblasting
Grammar and spelling
  • Like 1

Hi Shotgunblazing,

So after all that, they issued you the correct invoice, with the FCCs applied and the reduced credit card payment, but still charged 100% to your credit card? If so, call and talk to resolutions again, they may be in the process of crediting you after all.

I don't like how they are doing this. I Took the FCC . but because the offer when I booked the first cruise. they will not use all of the FCC on my new cruise. I still have to pay when I have over 400. left in FCC. My husband fare was half price on the canceled cruise. So they will not use my FCC to cover the rest of his fare. That really get to me so now if I want to get my money back I have to book another cruise with Royal. where my base fare has to me more the the FCC that is left. or I would lose over 200. If this ever happen again I will know to just take the money.

Edited by wildberry

1 hour ago, wildberry said:

I don't like how they are doing this. I Took the FCC . but because the offer when I booked the first cruise. they will not use all of the FCC on my new cruise. I still have to pay when I have over 400. left in FCC. My husband fare was half price on the canceled cruise. So they will not use my FCC to cover the rest of his fare. That really get to me so now if I want to get my money back I have to book another cruise with Royal. where my base fare has to me more the the FCC that is left. or I would lose over 200. If this ever happen again I will know to just take the money.

Did you cancel or did Royal?

There are two different policies regarding the use and allocation of FCC’s depending On how the reservation was cancelled.

For sailings cancelled by Royal under the global suspension of sailings they will move FCC amounts around between guests on the reservation provided both guests have FCC’s.

For sailings cancelled by the guest under the CWC they will not move money around.

If you Fall under the first scenario call back and escalate this until you find someone who is aware of the policy.  You should be calling post cruise guest relations at 800.256.6649. 

1 hour ago, wildberry said:

Also if Royal cancelled the cruise I believe that you can give up the FCC and take the refund if done before the end of this year

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Host Jacquelyn said:

Hi Shotgunblazing,

So after all that, they issued you the correct invoice, with the FCCs applied and the reduced credit card payment, but still charged 100% to your credit card? If so, call and talk to resolutions again, they may be in the process of crediting you after all.

Yes, you’re correct. I did call and inquire - they said they will be issuing the difference in yet another FCC that I don’t want. So basically they get to hang onto my  $1215.00 and earn interest on it. 

Edited by Shotgunblasting
Grammar

***MAJOR UPDATE***
After Royal Caribbean initially refused my request for a refund a couple weeks ago, I opened a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. Having worked in billing disputes & executive complaints for many years, I knew a BBB complaint would not be taken lightly & would get the proper attention it deserves. IT WORKED! I got a response from Royal via the BBB today saying they will be processing a full refund of what I am owed ($1215.00), which should be refunded to the credit card I used within 3-4 business days. Despite the constant runaround and wasted hours spent trying to work with Royal on this issue, I did respond that I appreciated their having reviewed my inquiry and for responding with an acceptable resolution. As long as the refund goes through - it'll be case closed. I hope my situation is able to help others going through similar battles over their FCCs or trying to obtain refunds. I will be glad to assist anyone with additional questions if I am able. Thank you to everyone here for your help & support. This long headache is finally over (once that refund hits my card 🙂 ). Thanks Again - 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Shotgunblasting said:

***MAJOR UPDATE***
After Royal Caribbean initially refused my request for a refund a couple weeks ago, I opened a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. Having worked in billing disputes & executive complaints for many years, I knew a BBB complaint would not be taken lightly & would get the proper attention it deserves. IT WORKED! I got a response from Royal via the BBB today saying they will be processing a full refund of what I am owed ($1215.00), which should be refunded to the credit card I used within 3-4 business days. Despite the constant runaround and wasted hours spent trying to work with Royal on this issue, I did respond that I appreciated their having reviewed my inquiry and for responding with an acceptable resolution. As long as the refund goes through - it'll be case closed. I hope my situation is able to help others going through similar battles over their FCCs or trying to obtain refunds. I will be glad to assist anyone with additional questions if I am able. Thank you to everyone here for your help & support. This long headache is finally over (once that refund hits my card 🙂 ). Thanks Again - 

Nice to hear that things worked out and in a better way than going the credit card dispute. 

3 hours ago, Shotgunblasting said:

IT WORKED! I got a response from Royal via the BBB today saying they will be processing a full refund of what I am owed ($1215.00), which should be refunded to the credit card I used within 3-4 business days.

Glad to hear it sounds like you were (eventually) able to get this sorted.  It's ridiculous how much effort you had to put in to resolve what should have been a really easy fix on RCI's part!

@Shotgunblasting Just to clarify: Did you ever provide the sailing date of this cruise? Several people asked. I thought it must be a summer cruise 2020 within 90 days because otherwise I don't know why RC wanted you to pay the difference in the first place. 

Edited by mayleeman