Silver moon not ready to sail in august

The sailing on 24/8/20 was cancelled by Silversea as the ship will not be complete.I booked cruise plus business flights through an agent. I would like to have the 100% refund from the airline and Silversea, but understand that an additional 25% of the cost can [as compensation for inconvenience] be lodged with my Venetian Society membership to be set against a future cruise with SilverSea. Is this correct?

I do not believe it is correct.  I believe you have a binary choice:  Full cash refund or 125% FCC.

Added:  However, the surmise above was based on experience with COVID-related cancellations by Silversea.  It may be that the offer will be different given the fact that this cancellation was caused by failure to receive the ship on time.  But I still think it will be either/or.  Please let us know.

Edited by Observer

Note that you must choose between taking 100% cash refund or an FCC for 125% of your cruise fare (I’m assuming you’re being offered the usual deal). The FCC should be valid for two years. 
You possibly imply that you are expecting 100% cash and 25% future credit? Maybe I’m misreading your post? It’s either or, not both. 

PS it was announced some while ago that the first Moon sailing will be Oct 2nd. 

Edited by jollyjones
  • 3 weeks later...

We had been so looking forward to our "Moon" cruise in February , 2021 but am too shaken and concerned as to the Corona virus situation in Brazil. Does Silversea just wait to the absolute last minute to cancel? I realize we're talking about next year but Brazil doesn't even seem to be addressing this pandemic nor care to.

23 minutes ago, iamdmedina said:

We had been so looking forward to our "Moon" cruise in February , 2021 but am too shaken and concerned as to the Corona virus situation in Brazil. 

If the situation in Brazil is not under control by February, the ship could simply sail past Brazil, spending more time in other South American ports and the Caribbean.  How about an overnight in the Falklands?  Etc. 

10 hours ago, spinnaker2 said:

I am thinking about the Moon crossing from Lauderdale to Piraeus...

Am I being too optimistic?

Hi Spins,

I'm probably cancelling my Moon TA this November, but I am soooo hoping to be able to sail this March 2021 TA. I'm currently only booked to Barcelona and then was going to London for a few days, but that is Easter weekend which isn't a good time to be there (two public holidays) so staying on to Athens might be happening ... dunno, so much is up in the air right now.

1 hour ago, jollyjones said:

Hi Spins,

I'm probably cancelling my Moon TA this November, but I am soooo hoping to be able to sail this March 2021 TA. I'm currently only booked to Barcelona and then was going to London for a few days, but that is Easter weekend which isn't a good time to be there (two public holidays) so staying on to Athens might be happening ... dunno, so much is up in the air right now.

We will probably do the same, but will wait until the end of the 1st week of July to make a final decision.

On 6/25/2020 at 6:15 PM, spinnaker2 said:

I am thinking about the Moon crossing from Lauderdale to Piraeus...

Am I being too optimistic?

We just booked this cruise!  Hopefully we will be able to go.

We had a Silver Muse cruise out of Sydney on February 19th, and I was very doubtful that we would be able to get into Australia.  We switched from the Muse to the Moon TA.  This way flights to Miami should be easy to get even at the last moment. This cruise now 8 1/2 months away so anything can happen!

Edited by TRIPACIAN
Sp

We’re  booked on the TA on 11/8 on the Moon from Barcelona to Miami. Not too optimistic that’s it’s going to happen though. The EU at this time will not be welcoming US citizens, we live in Florida which is now a mess, I’m not sure that they’ll want to even bring it into Miami. Time will tell

On 6/26/2020 at 5:57 AM, jollyjones said:

I'm probably cancelling my Moon TA this November

On 6/26/2020 at 7:17 AM, Silver Spectre said:

We will probably do the same, but will wait until the end of the 1st week of July to make a final decision.

Do let me know in the Roll Call if you decide to cancel.  Our fingers are still crossed.

• 1 month later...

For those who might have missed the news, Silver Moon successfully completed its final sea trials and Fincantieri has confirmed delivery to Silversea on Oct. 30th.  According to Silversea’s Chief Marketing Officer’s statement this morning, SS still plans on operating the Nov 8th trans-Atlantic from Barcelona to Fort Lauderdale.

6 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

For those who might have missed the news, Silver Moon successfully completed its final sea trials and Fincantieri has confirmed delivery to Silversea on Oct. 30th.  According to Silversea’s Chief Marketing Officer’s statement this morning, SS still plans on operating the Nov 8th trans-Atlantic from Barcelona to Fort Lauderdale.

I successfully 'read the tea leaves' and we cancelled our Moon crossing (paid in full) on 29 June well outside the 120-day timeline. The refund came into my Amex account on 11 August - 44 days, so not too bad in the current circumstances. But will this voyage actually take place? We shall see. We certainly did not wish to be (the word in the UK is 'guinea pigs' ) on a brand new ship with a brand new crew (still struggling to find their way round) with new Covid-19 protocols to be coped with as the ship crosses the Pond!

And who will be the passengers?

How will they fly to Barcelona, or home from Lauderdale?

Will the CDC allow them to disembark? Or ban disembarking pax from commercial planes/buses etc?

Will trip insurance offer adequate cover?

Unless things change a lot (which is entirely possible in this strange world), methinks there could be much quarantining. And who will take care (medically and financially) of any pax who are denied boarding for whatever reason? Presumably there will be some attempt at pre-boarding screening.

I'd still love to be on this cruise - altho' not keen on a TA as an inaugural, too many things might be unfinished - but I'm glad I've cancelled, the uncertainties are just too many. A closed loop cruise may be the way for me to restart cruising (I've cancelled all my cruises through till next June), but I feel a cruise spanning two continents that have divergent virus control plans/success is too risky. Getting stuck isolated somewhere for weeks would drive me insane.

This is good news for us because we’re booked on the transatlantic March 17, to Athens

i know there are many obstacles to our cruise but it is almost seven months out and anything can happen.  I remain positive and hopefully we will be able to enjoy this new ship..

The Moon Mar TA is one of the other cruises I’ve cancelled, I have no faith that the situation will have improved enough by then for me to risk a cruise, especially a two continent one. 
I continue to foster a fond hope that I will finally get to meet Mistress Moon in September 2021  - only a hope, but ...

PS I’d love to be wrong about next March - if so, I’ve got an FCC, could possibly make a late (re)booking for the TA!!

Edited by jollyjones