CNN “Good news on vaccine by AstaZeneca”

CNN business reporting AstraZeneca vaccine will have 2 billion dose by the end of the year.  They project that they will know if it is safe by the fall.  Sometimes the brilliance of the human race is astounding.  

I know people will discount vaccines but COVID is a slow mutator from what I have read and the strains are identifiable.  Should be very effective.  Looks like one shot then a booster a month or so later.  YAY!!!!!!!!

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/05/investing/astrazeneca-vaccine-coronavirus/index.html

• Like 1

1 hour ago, the more ports the better said:

CNN business reporting AstraZeneca vaccine will have 2 billion dose by the end of the year.  They project that they will know if it is safe by the fall.  Sometimes the brilliance of the human race is astounding.  

I know people will discount vaccines but COVID is a slow mutator from what I have read and the strains are identifiable.  Should be very effective.  Looks like one shot then a booster a month or so later.  YAY!!!!!!!!

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/05/investing/astrazeneca-vaccine-coronavirus/index.html

IF the vaccine proves to be safe and effective, and unfortunately the vast majority...historically over 90%... of vaccines fail on one or both of those grounds during testing and never are released to the market, and no vaccine has ever been produced in less than four years:

https://www.princeton.edu/news/2020/05/19/we-roar-covid-vaccine-12-18-months-dont-count-it

"About 90% of candidate vaccines that make it to human trials will still fail to make it to the market, he says. Most vaccines now in regular use, like polio and chicken pox, took 10 to 15 years to develop, and no vaccine has ever been produced in less than four years."

So while it's nice to be hopeful it helps to temper that with some reality.

Edited by njhorseman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, the more ports the better said:

Nothing to loose by having hope.  Something we sure need now. 

• Like 3

The most amazing part of that story is the quantity they say they can make.  That faaaaar exceeds any other drug maker I have read about.  If true, it would be a huge development.  I have been more concerned about the quantity of manufacturing versus actually developing the vaccine.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

I have been more concerned about the quantity of manufacturing versus actually developing the vaccine.

Equally concerned so that was interesting. I never knew that California, where I've mostly lived for over 40 years, has a population of 40,000,000!

8 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

2 billion dozes by year end, means we healthy non working old farts will get the vaccine by maybe 2023 or 2024.

Will personally start cruising before then!

Do you think you'll be allowed to? That's going to be the interesting part. What will CDC et al allow?

I also read that this is the vaccine that Oxford University developed and has just started testing on humans.  They don't even know if it works or is safe yet so Astra Zeneca is really placing a big bet.

Yes, there are many hurdles to overcome to get a vaccine.  I am sooo glad that so many people are working on this and not dismissing it for so many reasons.  I am realistic, but also hopeful that soon we'll have a cure, vaccine or better treatment.

• Like 1

I was thinking the same thing, big, big financial gamble.  The US and UK have 400 million doses guaranteed so if effective, we’ll all be vaccinated in late fall as that amount covers both our populations.  

I read a bit more on it yesterday in financial journals, apparently, the race to a vaccine is big news in the investment community.  They (Oxford Unv. and AstraZeneca) are entering phase 3 trials so they must have some level of confidence to begin manufacturing in such huge quantities.

This brought back memories of the days in school that the teacher would line us all up and parade us past the nurses office with each of us getting a shot as we passed.  We could get an entire elementary school vaccinated in a few hours and could do thousands of schools each day.

Something tells me that those days are gone!  Too many forms and releases.  The vaccine permissions slip that mom signed along with the field trip permission slip will probably not be adequate anymore.  🙂 

6 hours ago, comcox said:

I also read that this is the vaccine that Oxford University developed and has just started testing on humans.  They don't even know if it works or is safe yet so Astra Zeneca is really placing a big bet.

The US government is making a big bet...which means taxpayers are the ones making the bet. We just gave AstraZeneca $1.2 billion for research and development of the vaccine and to reserve 400 million doses for the US. We've also funded vaccine development efforts by other companies.

https://qz.com/1858682/the-us-just-bought-400-million-doses-of-a-coronavirus-vaccine-that-may-never-exist/

• Like 1

12 hours ago, bbtondo said:

Yes, there are many hurdles to overcome to get a vaccine.  I am sooo glad that so many people are working on this and not dismissing it for so many reasons.  I am realistic, but also hopeful that soon we'll have a cure, vaccine or better treatment.

I feel just like you do and it doesn't have a thing to do with going on a vacation.

Good news??  This is their plan.  It is probably required if they are chosen to be the final 5 who get to be subsidized by the world governments.  Astrazeneca is getting a 1.2 to 1.4 billion dollars in subsidies to develop this vaccine.

Unfortunately, this article doesn't paint a rosy picture for this vaccine  -

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/danvergano/warp-speed-coronavirus-vaccines?origin=shp

It sounds like one of the weaker flu vaccines, remember most flu vaccines are 30%-70% effective.  This vaccine seems to be closer to 30% if all it does is reduce the symptoms of the virus.  But, this article is from Buzzfeed so it is up to you to determine its accuracy.  Just don't get your hopes up too high.  

• Like 1

Also the issue of trusting the science! We get two refutable scientists saying the exact opposite! Case in point the recent brouhaha over the ability of an asymptomatic carrier of Covid to spread the disease. We got everything from rare, to likely, 

to “ we don’t know!” I personally believe the latter, however the scientists don’t agree so following the science is a crap shoot. They all have an agenda and tell you what they want you to hear.

• Like 1