With the introduction of SALT on Moon, there will be no Indochine on that ship.

Does anyone know whether Indochine will continue to be available on Spirit and Muse?  (I hope so!)  Or will it be replaced by SALT?  Or Johnny Rockets?  🙂

I know that, a year or so ago, someone kindly posted the Indochine menu (yes, in my experience, it does change slightly every few days).  I can't find it.  Could someone direct me to that older post or post the menu again?  

Many thanks.

33 minutes ago, Observer said:

With the introduction of SALT on Moon, there will be no Indochine on that ship.

Does anyone know whether Indochine will continue to be available on Spirit and Muse?  (I hope so!)  Or will it be replaced by SALT?  Or Johnny Rockets?  🙂

I know that, a year or so ago, someone kindly posted the Indochine menu (yes, in my experience, it does change slightly every few days).  I can't find it.  Could someone direct me to that older post or post the menu again?  

Many thanks.

If you find my Muse voyage through the Middle East from Oct 2018 there is a menu there. 

19 minutes ago, Silver Spectre said:

If you find my Muse voyage through the Middle East from Oct 2018 there is a menu there. 

Thanks.  I did find your 2018 thread "Athens to Muscat - The Middle East with a Muse" and paged through it.  Lots of wonderful photos, for which thanks.  And a menu for Sheishin.  But I didn't find a menu for Indochine.  I may of course have missed it.

1 hour ago, Observer said:

Thanks.  I did find your 2018 thread "Athens to Muscat - The Middle East with a Muse" and paged through it.  Lots of wonderful photos, for which thanks.  And a menu for Sheishin.  But I didn't find a menu for Indochine.  I may of course have missed it.

I may not have posted it there.

3014023B-137B-42B6-9421-59FA65F21106.jpeg

47BA42B5-BE42-413E-B860-CFEC506B0B7E.jpeg

C89ACB82-D924-4C8D-AB88-29471BE348A7.jpeg

9FC8503F-6607-41CC-B4E9-7D872748BFFE.jpeg

Posted (edited)

I Always found Indochine to be the least outstanding restaurant on SS. There were some amazing dishes but they could easily be incorporated on the menu in Atlantide. The one thing that I miss when I compare cruising to land holidays is immersing myself in the local culture, which is something I embrace wholeheartedly.I Do think the concept of SALT, if not the name, is something that really would enrich cruising. IMO, food never tastes better away from where it was created. Ingredients and flavour don't travel well. How many of us have tried to recreate that amazing dish we had on holiday only to be disappointed? I personally embrace the concept that SS are working towards of taking on local ingredients and having "Local" menus. It adds a huge value to those that would love to immerse themselves in local culture whilst on a cruise rather than just spending a few hours on an excursion.

Edited by Daveywavey70

An interesting post.  Thanks.

I think the Atlantide menu is already bloated (perhaps leading to the occasionally slow service).  IMHO it hardly needs to be expanded. 

As for SALT:  I take your points and see why it might be a very successful venture.  However, I wonder if it is reasonable to expect the chefs to be so versatile as to be deftly preparing large quantities of Peruvian cuisine one night and Chilean cuisine the next, etc.  Similarly, I agree that local ingredients can make a big and positive difference:  But provisioning in various local ports could be challenging and risky since the cruise line does not have the deep relationships with suppliers that it enjoys in major ports.

Am I mistaken in understanding that the SALT Kitchen will be offering classes (with fees attached, presumably as with La Dame, etc., to control demand)?

I've no idea about that Observer but I do commend SS on their ambition. Several other small lines do offer trips into town with there Chefs and then prepare menus featuring local produce. I Sincerely hope they pull it off.

Posted (edited)

Having been on another lines shopping with the Chef walk in Bergen would love a similar concept on Silversea.  One of the things he bought was black cod he that had been landed that day and was served in one of the restaurants that night, one of the best meals I have ever eaten at sea.  

Edited by seaquay

We toured the fish markets of Bergen on our last visit there with David Bilsand,Head Chef at the time.Great trip and by request he produced best ever lobster Thermidor for dinner the same evening.Happy Days On Silversea!!

On 6/6/2020 at 7:41 PM, Observer said:

I hope they retain Indochine on the ships where it is currently offered.

Agreed, Observer. We dined there more often than anywhere else on the Muse last year.

Indochine IS the best offering from SS IMHO..... I was gutted to find it dropped for the Moon and Dawn. Hope it remains on the Muse and Spirit.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll chime in and say my DW and I liked Indochine quite a bit - be sad to see it go.  There was a rather erudite discussion of the SALT initiative back in the day on this board - March 6, 2019.  Actually kind of nice to get back to proper discussion of food, drink,  the good the bad and the ugly, versus 24/7 Covid-19.