Jump to content

Specialty Dining, splitting the bill - same cabin


Recommended Posts

I have an odd question... Can we split the bill at a specialty dining resturant? One person paying a la cart and the ither paying with a SD credit if we are in the same cabin?

 

Let me give a little bit more background as to why I want to do this/see if its allowed...

 

We will be on the Bliss (hopefully) for my Hubs birthday, he LOVES mexcian/tex

-mex food and is looking forward to trying Los Lobos for his birthday dinner. I, on the other hand, don't care for that style of food all that much. I would join him of course (trying to be a supportive wifey/make sure he has happy food), but probably only order something extremly simple like a quesidilla. We would not be sharing food.

 

But. I AM a pretty big sushi fan, while he refers to it as "bait" (but would also be supportive of me and go). On a different night I'd love to go to Food Republic and get a bunch of yummy sushi, while he'd order something a la carte like a maybe a pizza.

 

Again we wouldn't be sharing food at either venue. I think it would just be a poor use of credits if we had to use 2 at each venue. One person eating their favorite food while the other was stuck being 'supportive'. lol

 

Experiances? Thoughts? Thanks for any help.

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Well that is an interesting take on the Specialty Dining Program !

 

As shof515 has posted start with the waiter but then - - -

 

I think at first that the crew may refuse this as being complicated.

But run it by the Guest Services people in advance get the hotel

manager or a restaurant manager involved - For a birthday dinner

they should be able to do something including providing the cake !

 

Good Luck and come back post cruise and let us know the results !

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, enchantingodin said:

I have an odd question... Can we split the bill at a specialty dining resturant? One person paying a la cart and the ither paying with a SD credit if we are in the same cabin?

 

Let me give a little bit more background as to why I want to do this/see if its allowed...

 

We will be on the Bliss (hopefully) for my Hubs birthday, he LOVES mexcian/tex

-mex food and is looking forward to trying Los Lobos for his birthday dinner. I, on the other hand, don't care for that style of food all that much. I would join him of course (trying to be a supportive wifey/make sure he has happy food), but probably only order something extremly simple like a quesidilla. We would not be sharing food.

 

But. I AM a pretty big sushi fan, while he refers to it as "bait" (but would also be supportive of me and go). On a different night I'd love to go to Food Republic and get a bunch of yummy sushi, while he'd order something a la carte like a maybe a pizza.

 

Again we wouldn't be sharing food at either venue. I think it would just be a poor use of credits if we had to use 2 at each venue. One person eating their favorite food while the other was stuck being 'supportive'. lol

 

Experiances? Thoughts? Thanks for any help.

Without all of the detail, you tell your waiter up front that one is SDP and one is cash. Your waiter will ring it up that way. No need to “split the bill”, just pay for each meal the way you want to. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, don't-use-real-name said:

I think at first that the crew may refuse this as being complicated.

 

 

its not complicated. during the end of the meal, the waiter will ask for everyone room card to create the bill. the system will automatically deduct the SDP credit if you have it. if you do not wait to use the SDP, the waiter can create the bill as a normal cash bill

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, don't-use-real-name said:

 

Well that is an interesting take on the Specialty Dining Program !

 

As shof515 has posted start with the waiter but then - - -

 

I think at first that the crew may refuse this as being complicated.

But run it by the Guest Services people in advance get the hotel

manager or a restaurant manager involved - For a birthday dinner

they should be able to do something including providing the cake !

 

Good Luck and come back post cruise and let us know the results !

 

There is absolutely nothing complicated about it and no reason to talk to upper management about it.  That's just silly.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I travel with my sister and we do this all the time! We just tell them we would like mine ala carte and hers using SDP. No need to run to Guest Services....

Link to post
Share on other sites

From the answers, I don't think that's what the OP was asking.  I think she was asking if they have to use two credits for one meal.  I don't think you can use a dinner for two, for two separate occasions if only one person was dining.  Such as,  SOLO travelers cannot use their SDP twice, because only one is dining. 

Actually, I'm correcting myself.  I was thinking of free platinum dinners for two.  Not individual SDP that you purchase.

Edited by jezabel80
mistake
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, jezabel80 said:

From the answers, I don't think that's what the OP was asking.  I think she was asking if they have to use two credits for one meal.  I don't think you can use a dinner for two, for two separate occasions if only one person was dining.  Such as,  SOLO travelers cannot use their SDP twice, because only one is dining. 

The SDP credits are per person not shared.  If one guest wants to use it for a restaurant and the other does not want to, the waiter can easily break up the bill since the restaurants are al la carte.

 

Edited by Liljo22
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, jezabel80 said:

From the answers, I don't think that's what the OP was asking.  I think she was asking if they have to use two credits for one meal.  I don't think you can use a dinner for two, for two separate occasions if only one person was dining.  Such as,  SOLO travelers cannot use their SDP twice, because only one is dining. 

 

Specialty Dining Packages are per-person - I feel like you may be confusing it with Platinum dinner benefits.  For SDP, each person has their own, and can choose when (and when not) to use a credit/night from their package.  I don't have to use one of *my* credits, just because my dinner companion uses one of theirs, when it's SDP - since those are individual.  It's only the Platinum dinners that are tied together with a companion.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes,  I corrected my post.  I misread the original post.  I was thinking of platinum benefits.   Sorry for confusion.   I confused myself,  lol.

1 minute ago, Liljo22 said:

The SDP credits are per person not shared.  If one guest wants to use it for a restaurant and the other does not want to, the waiter can easily break up the bill since the restaurants are al la carte.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes you are all correct. Most always the SDP is for guest 1 & 2 unless purchased outright, and if there are 3 or 4 in the cabin, the 3rd or 4th won't have a SDP (unless purchased outright) It is O.K. to go and do a la cart and just get an appetizer & desert if that's what you want! Hubby can use 1 of his credits and do the reverse when you go for the fishy food.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with RiverCruising.co.uk
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...