Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
cool cruiser 14107

Australia/NZ Viking or Princess or Cunard or RCL

Recommended Posts

On 6/8/2020 at 6:35 AM, Fletch1 said:

Out of the cruise lines you mentioned, I have cruised Princess (50), Celebrity (4), RCL (2) and Viking River cruises(2), but not Cunard. Out of all my experiences, I could not fault Viking River cruises.

wow! you've been on 50 Princess cruises; was that a typo!!? So what do you think of RCL? thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/10/2020 at 8:41 AM, Pushka said:

Viking has a lot of inclusions that may or may not be of value to you. There is no extra cost in dining in the specialty restaurants. Wines are included with meals everywhere including the buffet and they are very generous and multiple pours. And good wines and beers. Their food is extra special and little specialty places everywhere. Towels are super plush. They include an excursion in every port. I think it's the quality of their decor - you'd love to be able to take some of their items and put them in your home! Space. It's peaceful. Their cabins, especially the bathrooms, are excellent and with lots of little features. They are large. And Silly things like extra large print on the bathroom bottles so you know which is the shampoo. And their products are worth using. Just class. Cappuccinos are free all day for instance. 

 

I would like to add that on our first river cruise, Viking had I'Occitane toiletries in the bathroom and on both cruises, something I will never forget, a heated floor in the bathroom!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, cool cruiser 14107 said:

wow! you've been on 50 Princess cruises; was that a typo!!? So what do you think of RCL? thanks

 

No, Princess are our cruise line of choice and we do most of our cruising with them. Although there are some P&O cruises mixed in with that figure. Here in OZ, Princess include cruises undertaken with P&O Australia in their total figure, however days at sea are not counted towards total Princess days at sea. Confusing I know.....I am not quite sure why Princess do this. 

 

Our two cruises with RCL were a few years ago.....one on the Rhapsody OTS from Honolulu to Sydney and the other on the Radiance OTS around the Pacific islands from Sydney. We found RCL OK, although, they did not provide bar fridges in Inside or Oceanview cabins on the two cruises we did, which was annoying. The Captain on one of these cruises seemed to spend more time mixing with the passengers than on the Bridge. He was the "Celebrity Chef" at cooking demonstrations, participated in game shows and even sang a couple of songs with the band one night. And when I say "sang a couple of songs"......he literally bumped the Lead Singer off the stage and sang the songs unaccompanied. And he knew all the words!! I recently saw him on TV as the Captain of Quantum OTS on the Mighty Cruise Ships show.....a more elderly gentleman with a beard. 

 

Personally, we found Celebrity better than RCL. They did things better and were a better cruise line IMO. Personal choice though. We would cruise RCL again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Fletch1 said:

 

I would like to add that on our first river cruise, Viking had I'Occitane toiletries in the bathroom and on both cruises, something I will never forget, a heated floor in the bathroom!!

Oh yes. The ocean ships have that too! 
 

Celebrity is an upscale version of RCL. 

Edited by Pushka

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.thepreismans.com/index.html Not sure if you have read this webpage?

It is excellent in terms of details, pictures and helpful comments about various cruise lines and experiences.

He has a pleasant style of writing and beautiful photos.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, pully8 said:

https://www.thepreismans.com/index.html Not sure if you have read this webpage?

It is excellent in terms of details, pictures and helpful comments about various cruise lines and experiences.

 

thanks; I did just check it out; very informative! and I added a couple of things to my travel list : )

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Fletch1 said:

No, Princess are our cruise line of choice and we do most of our cruising with them. Although there are some P&O cruises mixed in with that figure. Here in OZ, Princess include cruises undertaken with P&O Australia in their total figure, however days at sea are not counted towards total Princess days at sea. Confusing I know.....I am not quite sure why Princess do this. 

 

Personally, we found Celebrity better than RCL. They did things better and were a better cruise line IMO. Personal choice though. We would cruise RCL again. 

oh! so those numbers people put after the cruise line are days at sea?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

I think you are better off aiming for the 2021-22 season to come here.

and by '21-22 season'; does that mean, I assume you mean about october to february 21-22? thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, cool cruiser 14107 said:

and by '21-22 season'; does that mean, I assume you mean about october to february 21-22? thanks

Yep the season here runs from about Oct to April the following year. Though some ships are based here year round, but may be off doing longer cruises, ie World cruises etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, cool cruiser 14107 said:

and by '21-22 season'; does that mean, I assume you mean about october to february 21-22? thanks

correct

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, cool cruiser 14107 said:

oh! so those numbers people put after the cruise line are days at sea?

I think in fletch's case it is definitely cruises and not nights at sea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...