A glimpse into the future....

gardenbunny

I think cruise lines will have to do a lot more then just sanitize more, require social distancing and pre-board screening.  There is nothing in the article that would make me think cruising is any safer than it is now.  

What they mentioned will not prevent people from getting on the ship with COVID-19 and also how will they prevent people from contracting it in ports or from other guests who may develop symptoms once onboard.  

I can hardly wait to see bus loads of passengers returning to the ship after a day long excursion and having to space out 6 feet a part to reboard.  That certainly will be a bunch of happy campers.-

Edited by PrincessLuver
  • Like 4

As a lifelong cruiser I can't imagine cruising again with those kinds of restrictions. It wouldn't be worth the money in my opinion. I am still hoping that one day we can cruise like it was before, whenever that might be. 

• Like 7

I see more than one problem with these ideas.   If you can't have been in a foreign country 14 days before boarding ,what happens to the folks who travel around Europe for instance, before boarding? What about meeting a ship in Australia etc?

Also, if many of these ideas are implemented it will raise the cost of the cabins and shore excursions to the point that only the wealthy will be cruising as in the old days!!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, gmjc2 said:

I see more than one problem with these ideas.   If you can't have been in a foreign country 14 days before boarding ,what happens to the folks who travel around Europe for instance, before boarding? What about meeting a ship in Australia etc?

Also, if many of these ideas are implemented it will raise the cost of the cabins and shore excursions to the point that only the wealthy will be cruising as in the old days!!

I think that's just slightly sloppy wording on the part of the  writer. The text says "Any passenger with symptoms of illness (and perhaps, who has traveled internationally within 14 days) will be denied boarding." The important word here is "...AND".

All these ideas would mitigate the problem, but frankly this makes me more pessimistic that cruising will return before a vaccine.  These ideas nibble at the edges, but nothing here avoids the big problems: 

1. Presymptomatic or asymptomatic people can still board with the virus (and pick it up in ports).

2. A ship is an inherently crowded place.  To create real social distance, the number of passengers would have to be reduced so much that fares would be too high.  

3.  All the wiping and sanitizing is well and good, but of limited effect on a virus that primarily transmits by air.  

4.  The crew lives in crowded quarters and can carry/transmit the virus even if the passengers board virus free.

5.  What exactly is supposed to happen when people suddenly get diagnosed w/COVID during a cruise?   Free medevac home?  Put them off at the next port?  Confined to quarters?  Stop the whole cruise and sail home ASAP?  Confine everyone to quarters?  The virus is prevalent enough that cases will often arise mid-cruise.  

• Like 4

Good point on the luggage.  Taking everyone's temperature sounds like an easy step until you think through the ramifications.  Fever is a common symptom for all sorts of infections and chronic conditions.   If everyone with a fever is denied boarding at the last minute, will they (and their travelling groups) get their fare refunded?   Who would pay thousands of dollars for a cruise if they risk forfeiting everything if they get a cold the day before it leaves?   Travel insurance often provides coverage only when there is hospitalization, not just a mild fever.  

Then of course there are the facts that many infected people won't have fevers. Or could be taking medication to reduce a fever.  

• Like 3

Cruise ships won't sail until the threat of COVID19 is eliminated.  Cruise lines can not afford another episode of illness on their ships.  when they start sailing again , they will take some additional steps.  Health screening, temperature checks, and sanitizing. Self serve in buffet will be eliminated.  Social distancing is impossible without reducing the number of passengers to a level that would make cruising financially impossible.   We have to wait and see and hope.

• Like 3

As we read through all of their opinions, if this ends up being being the future of cruising, I don't see us ever going again. It's not the way we want to spend a couple of weeks on vacation, especially at the increased prices we are personally seeing on those voyages in which we might be interested. 

I don't expect there to ever be a 100% cure for this virus, any more than some of the other centuries old illnesses out there. If they come close, then there is the future COVID20, COVID21, etc., to deal with. Don't get me wrong, as it be great to live in an illness free world, just don't see it happening.

Looking back, when we had to decide between Option #1 & Option #2, we seriously thought about the big 150% FCC we could have taken for a cruise we had booked next year. Now I am really glad we didn't as some of the concerns we were thinking about with future cruising, may be what's coming up.

I know a lot of people are ready to go, and can respect that & understand, it's just not something we think we will find appealing ourselves.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Cruise-Crazzy said:

Cruise ships won't sail until the threat of COVID19 is eliminated.  Cruise lines can not afford another episode of illness on their ships.  when they start sailing again , they will take some additional steps.  Health screening, temperature checks, and sanitizing. Self serve in buffet will be eliminated.  Social distancing is impossible without reducing the number of passengers to a level that would make cruising financially impossible.   We have to wait and see and hope.

It'll never be eliminated.  So no more cruising?  I don't see it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Cruising would have to be back to the way it was before.  Then I will cruise again.  While I will miss cruising, for me, to take a risk (with this virus) and cruise, just not worth it for me.  I will be on land until things get back to normal.

• Like 3

For DW & myself our glimpse  of the future is no more cruising unless a miracle  vaccine  is discovered .  We have had many wonderful  Princess cruises and don't want to have our future  cruise  experience  lessened by the " new anti virus  changes " that are forthcoming .  We hope for a happy ending to this crisis  but are not getting  our hopes up. We certainly  will not be among the first cruisers to experience  the new normal.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, harkinmr said:

My thought exactly!

On 6/10/2020 at 11:23 AM, moodyb1 said:

I stopped reading the article after seeing the words "as the corona virus winds down". What planet are they on?

the only true metric of increase or decrease is  … positives per test percentage … if this is not included , well it's just bogus 

On 6/10/2020 at 5:00 PM, Cruise-Crazzy said:

We wont sail again because of the reasons you mention. When we feel 100% positive stepping on a cruise ship is when we will book.

I hope today's news is an outlier with virus spikes seen in 21 states which led to the market dropping 1800 points. 

Edited by MISTER 67

Cant believe people didnt think there would be another spike. There was absolutely no reason why the stock should have gone from 8 to 24. Luckily I made some money which has reduced my net cost for the 100 shares to-about $540.00.

might invest $2000 if we get to 10 again. Cases go down again, stock goes up again. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, voljeep said:

Brilliant !! I say Brilliant !!!

from a cruise critic email about re-starting cruises in the caribbean

https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=5384&et_cid=3337386&et_rid=17145803&et_referrer=Boards

Got that same Email. It's a pretty obvious option and one we'd certainly entertain. Question is, which "islands" would be available to Princess ships? If it's only Princess Cays, there's no way we'd waste our time going, but if other CCL "islands" like Half Moon or Amber Cove were also on the itinerary, it would be well worth considering. Wouldn't even have to be a short cruise, a 7 dayer with an occasional sea day, just jumping between these private "islands" would be fine, something of a welcome change

• Like 2