A glimpse into the future....

gardenbunny

I really think that the light at the end of tunnel hasn't been turn on...

Have two cruises booked late this year..... thoughts on going if not cancelled...... 

not sure about final payment...

not sure what conditions will be like on board...

will they be masks... anytime dining...... canapes still on....

Do not like the idea on being a guinea pig 

Right then cancel and wait and see ......

They are all ready sell cruises for next year.... 

then so the cabins we want will he sold out and the prices more expensive...

So the future.......  

Option One    our cruise go ahead and we had a good time    sort back to normal

Option Two   Cancel don't cruise until 2021-22 season..... might not want to cruise

Option Three   the world is flat.... all the ships fall off the edge......

we go back to land base travel... like before we started cruising

Option Four...... whatever you want.......

Cheers Don

Edited by getting older slowly
spelling adn fat fingers
  • Haha 1

Carnival Cruise Line said on Monday it has extended its pause in operations for North American voyages until Sept. 30, as it determines how to safely resume service amid the COVID-19 pandemic.

THe CCL stock is not doing very well as today's current price is about $16.95 down from a 52 week high of $51.94 and no dividend any longer.

CCL has a monthly cash burn of $834 Million with about 7 months of cash on hand. They have 5 ship deliveries scheduled, so the thread about CCL selling some ships is probably accurate. But the big question is who will be in a position to buy them.

From Barrons

The Big Three cruise companies aren’t sunk yet. Although they were shut out of federal virus-relief aid because they’re not incorporated in the U.S., they appear to have enough cash and borrowing capacity to survive into the autumn, or even longer in some cases, with no sailings. And customers are booking cruises for later this year and beyond. Meantime, they’re moving to conserve cash by cutting capital expenditure and looking to push out debt payments, among other measures.

Edited by weberman

On 6/10/2020 at 4:44 PM, jennmaybe said:

There is no way we would cruise with these restrictions in place. This to me, is not a vacation!

I think there are too many people to scared go, vacation anywhere and b/c THEY feel that way no one else should be able to either.

No way would I go to Aruba now with their requirement I show them test results; they seem to want to destroy their tourism economy in the name of lord knows what hysteria.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, muffydawg said:

I think there are too many people to scared go, vacation anywhere and b/c THEY feel that way no one else should be able to either.

No way would I go to Aruba now with their requirement I show them test results; they seem to want to destroy their tourism economy in the name of lord knows what hysteria.

It is not hysteria.  If you read their requirements for visiting Aruba you will find that it is a very well though out approach to allow travelers to visit the island safely and also keep their citizens safe.  People will gladly pay high tourist prices to visit places that are COVID-Safe.

Iceland, Hawaii and other places are putting similar requirements in place the same as Aruba.  Just because an island does not let a cruise ship full of bargain passengers in does not mean their economy is going to be destroyed.  The world is gong to be just fine without cruising for awhile or longer...maybe not your world... but the rest of the world will be OK.  Cheers! :classic_biggrin:

Aruba travel requirements:

https://www.aruba.com/us/traveler-health-requirements

Edited by PrincessLuver
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, PrincessLuver said:

It is not hysteria.  If you read their requirements for visiting Aruba you will find that it is a very well though out approach to allow travelers to visit the island safely and also keep their citizens safe.

But how many visitors will be happy with this?

"Travel companion(s) of the confirmed case will need to pack their belongings as they would need to be relocated and placed in quarantine at one of the designated quarantine locations for 14 days. This period restarts each time a new case is discovered within the group."

• Like 1

5 hours ago, caribill said:

"Travel companion(s) of the confirmed case will need to pack their belongings as they would need to be relocated and placed in quarantine at one of the designated quarantine locations for 14 days. This period restarts each time a new case is discovered within the group."

There really has not been a problem in the places it is being does now.....most people who are going to take test before they leave and/or feel healthy before they travel.  It is a lot different than all of the people on CC saying "I will hop on any ship and wear no mask or social distance and do not care if people have Covid-19 or not."  Aruba and others disked travel destinations, such as Hawaii,  will have no problem at all attracting high paying tourists  because they know they will be pretty much in for a safe vacation.

On 6/12/2020 at 11:49 AM, lx200gps said:

Got that same Email. It's a pretty obvious option and one we'd certainly entertain. Question is, which "islands" would be available to Princess ships? If it's only Princess Cays, there's no way we'd waste our time going, but if other CCL "islands" like Half Moon or Amber Cove were also on the itinerary, it would be well worth considering. Wouldn't even have to be a short cruise, a 7 dayer with an occasional sea day, just jumping between these private "islands" would be fine, something of a welcome change

We are with you on this one. We would welcome even a short island hopper in the next few months.  We love the etrivia and reading on the balcony. We do not want to lose the buffets but the masks and social distancing do not bother us. The higher cost of the fares will though!!!

12 hours ago, caribill said:

Perfectly understandable if travelling by air but by cruise ship one would only be there for the day so this would not apply. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, gmjc2 said:

Perfectly understandable if travelling by air but by cruise ship one would only be there for the day so this would not apply. 

Cruise passengers would not be allowed into the country unless some how they could meet the requirements.  But probably most cruise ships are not going to allowed in anyway with COVID-19 so freely circulating.

38 minutes ago, gmjc2 said:

Perfectly understandable if traveling by air but by cruise ship one would only be there for the day so this would not apply. 

True, but so far Aruba does not allow cruise ship visits and has issued no guidelines that would apply once they are allowed.

So far the USA has had about 25% of the world's Covid-19 cases with far less a percentage of the world's population. I would not be surprised if many other countries prohibit travel from the USA for the foreseeable future.

9 minutes ago, caribill said:

True, but so far Aruba does not allow cruise ship visits and has issued no guidelines that would apply once they are allowed.

So far the USA has had about 25% of the world's Covid-19 cases with far less a percentage of the world's population. I would not be surprised if many other countries prohibit travel from the USA for the foreseeable future.

Of course I was referring to when the island allows cruise ships again. If there are any sick cruisers then no body would be allowed off. If no illness, then temps would be taken before allowed down the ramp at the port.The 14 day quarantine would not apply as the tourist would be returning to the ship in a couple of hours.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, voljeep said:

more testing and honest reporting ??

I guess you, carabill  and princessluver have nothing better to do than go the rounds of the cruise critic boards?  I have been away from the boards for about a week but I am back!!!!  What are we, the 4 Musketeers ??

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, gmjc2 said:

Of course I was referring to when the island allows cruise ships again. If there are any sick cruisers then no body would be allowed off. If no illness, then temps would be taken before allowed down the ramp at the port.The 14 day quarantine would not apply as the tourist would be returning to the ship in a couple of hours.

We will see what is in store for us in the future.....the EU is discussing today possibly not allowing Americans into the EU because of our ineffective ways of dealing with COVID-19.....who would have thought.....aren't we best in the world????

Edited by PrincessLuver
  • Like 1

Look at what Cambodia is requiring when you arrive by air. I wonder how many other countries may adopt this same concept.

Cambodia has announced that all visitors to that Southeast Asian country will be required to pay a deposit of $3,000 upon arrival at the airport to cover "virus prevention services."

And if any passenger on the plane tests positive for COVID-19, those on the same flight will be quarantined for 14 days

See full details at:

https://www.frommers.com/blogs/passportable/blog_posts/welcome-to-cambodia-that-ll-be-3-000-please

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, PrincessLuver said:

We will see what is in store for us in the future.....the EU is discussing today possibly not allowing Americans into the EU because of our ineffective ways of dealing with COVID-19.....who would have thought.....aren't we best in the world????

Too early to see how this plays out. Depending on how long it continues, going to be difficult to plan any trip to the EU, be it by air or cruise ship with these stipulations below. They could change their list right before you arrive on an airplane. We are thinking about a trip in October 2021 ourselves, so watching the decision.

European officials said the list would be revised every two weeks to reflect new realities around the world as nations see the virus ebb and flow.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, caribill said:

Look at what Cambodia is requiring when you arrive by air. I wonder how many other countries may adopt this same concept.

Cambodia has announced that all visitors to that Southeast Asian country will be required to pay a deposit of $3,000 upon arrival at the airport to cover "virus prevention services."

And if any passenger on the plane tests positive for COVID-19, those on the same flight will be quarantined for 14 days

See full details at:

https://www.frommers.com/blogs/passportable/blog_posts/welcome-to-cambodia-that-ll-be-3-000-please

Cambodia has a lot more visitors than I thought. Over 6 million annually, with 1/3 from China. Looks like about 250,000 or so arrive from the USA, per their stats from 2018.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, caribill said:

See full details at:

Hawaii is looking at 2 COVID-19 tests for all arrivals.  One within  72 hours before you leave and then one when you arrive.  Then you are quarantined in a specific hotel/s for 6 days and if negative after then you could be free to travel to your place of lodging and then around the state.  This would be in place of the 14 day quarantine they have now.  

They also are looking at a scenario where you would be tested 72 hours prior to arrival and/or when you arrive.  Tests must be negative or 14 day quarantine if stay in state.  Also, they are talking about having people wear tracing bracelet who are in quarantine.  The penalty for breaking quarantine is up to a $5,000 USD fine and possibly a year in jail.  Fines have already been imposed on a number of tourists who broke quarantine already.

Edited by PrincessLuver

1 hour ago, PrincessLuver said:

Hawaii is looking at 2 COVID-19 tests for all arrivals.  One within  72 hours before you leave and then one when you arrive.  Then you are quarantined in a specific hotel/s for 6 days and if negative after then you could be free to travel to your place of lodging and then around the state.  This would be in place of the 14 day quarantine they have now.  

They also are looking at a scenario where you would be tested 72 hours prior to arrival and/or when you arrive.  Tests must be negative or 14 day quarantine if stay in state.  Also, they are talking about having people wear tracing bracelet who are in quarantine.  The penalty for breaking quarantine is up to a $5,000 USD fine and possibly a year in jail.  Fines have already been imposed on a number of tourists who broke quarantine already.

It is not easy to have a test 72 hours prior to arrival and have the results back in time because not all testing places have the 15-minute test. Also, in our area at least, we are not yet at the "anybody who wants a test can have a test" stage. And if you can get a test, it can be up to a week before results are back (A couple of days for a lab to do the tests; results sent back to health department; health department sends results to person tested.)

One thing different about the Hawaii test vs. Cambodia. If a person fails the test in Hawaii, he/she only must quarantine for 14 days. In Cambodia, everyone that was on that flight must quarantine for 14 days at their own expense.

15 minutes ago, caribill said:

It is not easy to have a test 72 hours prior to arrival and have the results back in time because not all testing places have the 15-minute test. Also, in our area at least, we are not yet at the "anybody who wants a test can have a test" stage. And if you can get a test, it can be up to a week before results are back (A couple of days for a lab to do the tests; results sent back to health department; health department sends results to person tested.)

One thing different about the Hawaii test vs. Cambodia. If a person fails the test in Hawaii, he/she only must quarantine for 14 days. In Cambodia, everyone that was on that flight must quarantine for 14 days at their own expense.

Agree.....it may not be realistic but that is what they are thinking of doing and I hear that is it getting harder to get tested because of a shortage of materials that go into testing kits.   

On 6/13/2020 at 10:26 AM, Ride-The-Waves said:

Nice, however mostly fantasy.

Live in Florida and yesterday at a Publix supermarket about 20 percent of customers were not wearing masks and belligerently going the wrong way down aisles.  Just one example of the impossibility of having even a 50 percent passenger compliment cruise of people following directions for everyone's safety.  What does a cruise line do with non-compliant passengers?  Lock them in their cabins?  

"Private" islands have a similar challenge.  While they may be "private" in the sense that a cruise line owns the land, they are still under the jurisdiction of the country from which the island is leased.  "Crew" for the islands still come from local towns/cities.  We do not cruise to travel to a "private" island, rather cruise to experience the world.  So far have been north of the Arctic circle, south of the Antarctic Circle and set foot on all 7 continents.  Experiencing new and revisiting "old" cultures is the reason we cruise, not to drink or eat on a ship.  That said, the shipboard environment is very important for comfort and security.

Maybe changes which reduce passenger capacity, improve dining and offer varied and excellent entertainment will entice people to return to cruising in a "new normal" fashion.  I would be willing to pay more for a better on board experience.

How do you go down the aisle the wrong way in a supermarket?

12 hours ago, caribill said:

See full details at:

On our trip back from our cruise in late February we were healthy, as we stayed to ourselves; however, on Southwest, there was a guy who sat behind us and coughed the entire 2 hours and 40 minutes with no mask and the flight crew did nothing.  My husband and I were both sick.  I was the sickest I ever was with strep throat.  If they would have made him wear a mask, we probably would not have been sick.  It was evident he was very very ill.  I don't think I ever want to fly again.  I hate the drive to Florida (hubby won't let me drive), so it will take 2 days staying overnight and then having to drive home.  Hate to think about that and all the people texting on the highway too.

11 minutes ago, chloe45 said:

How do you go down the aisle the wrong way in a supermarket?

at our local (Publix) isles (sp on purpose) and marked with arrows and to which way to go - up one, down the next - to encourage social distancing and not cross paths with shoppers coming the other direction down the isle