Jump to content

Tahiti requires testing to enter Tahiti


stromer
 Share

Recommended Posts

Air Tahiti Nui sent me an email about Tahiti reopening and they shared a link that Tahiti requires PCR based Covid 19 testing withing 72 hours of departure with negative results to allow entry into Tahiti.  That seems a bit restrictive.  I know that a lot of test sites will not offer a test unless you have symptoms.  Has anyone heard of this.  The link is below. 

Tahititourisme.com/en-us/covid-19/?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Stormer, I see that you are in California, there is a huge push here even asymptotic people to be tested, and most have the results in 24 hours, but they are backed up and it can take 5-7 days for those with negative results to be mailed to you. My kids pediatrician was able to get the results faster, so perhaps there is a way... 

 

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/Nearby/index.html?appid=43118dc0d5d348d8ab20a81967a15401

 

Several Caribbean countries have the same rules as well. It will be interesting to see how it pans out. 

 

I have flights to FP in October so working on figuring this out myself...

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

Hawai’i, starting 1 August, will also require a negative Covid-19 test within 72 hours of departure to avoid a 14 day quarantine after arrival in the islands.  However, we were speaking with friends in Minnesota today who also reported that it was impossible to get a test in that state without symptoms.  “I want to go to Hawai’i” (or Alaska, or Tahiti) just won’t cut it.

I’m not certain how many other states have this policy, but it certainly would be something you’d want to investigate before making travel plans . . . . especially on the likes of a cruise company as Ponant/Paul Gauguin which refuses to give refunds!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

No matter the ease of testing or the speed of results, 72 hours is going to be tough if you want to fly into Papeete, isn't it?  I believe I could walk to a hospital testing centre right now (Wednesday noon) and get a test today.  Then I'd have to wait perhaps 48 hours for the results, could be longer, but that's the average time right now; so I get my results Friday afternoon, say.  Presumably that means the 72 hour clock starts testing when I get the result, or when I get the test, hopefully the former?  So it's 72 hours before departure from, where?  Los Angeles?  Toronto?

 

Sound terribly fraught.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Presumably that means the 72 hour clock starts testing when I get the result, or when I get the test, hopefully the former?  


In Hawai’i the language reads, “a negative Covid-19 test within 72 hours of arriving”.
 

 That would seem to say, to me at least, that the test must be administered within 72 hours of arrival in Hawaï’i.  My understanding is that (at present, at least) if (negative) test results haven’t yet been received on arrival, the visitors will have to quarantine until they are.  Another test will be given at the airport as well and testing may be done on a random basis doing the stay.

 

Since it’s testing 72 hours before arrival, it’s a moot point where the departure city is.

Edited by Candlesmith
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Candlesmith said:


In Hawai’i the language reads, “a negative Covid-19 test within 72 hours of arriving”.
 

 That would seem to say, to me at least, that the test must be administered within 72 hours of arrival in Hawaï’i.  My understanding is that (at present, at least) if (negative) test results haven’t yet been received on arrival, the visitors will have to quarantine until they are.  Another test will be given at the airport as well and testing may be done on a random basis doing the stay.

 

Since it’s testing 72 hours before arrival, it’s a moot point where the departure city is.

 

Right, which is relevant to Tahiti how exactly?  But if it is in fact the same as Hawaii, then that just makes it so much more difficult.  At least if you're flying to Hawaii you can get a direct flight from many parts of North America.  But the wording above seems to indicate 72 hours before "departure".

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I started this topic and since then have called the Tahiti tourism office in LA and emailed the main office in Tahiti.  Both said they are reconsidering the restrictions but do not have an answer yet.  The tourism web site and the Air Tahiti Nui web site says they are working with CVS to get rapid testing done to meet the requirements (not finalized yet).  Also Reliant can do the testing for $149 with results in 2 days.  Thus, as stands it would be very difficult to go to Tahiti.

The ATN web site says you cannot board their plane without a negative test result.

Rick

 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

FP government on last report said they were going to re-consider the protocols around September 1st but as we know everything is inconstant flux right now but my guess is if the C-19 doesn't flare again over the next month or two things will become less restrictive as FP economy is suffering big time ... I can't imagine this continuing very long if C-19 doesn't return to FP.

 

My guess is the next steep will require us to produce a not from out doctor in the last 10 days that we show no symptoms, checking our temperature before boarding the plane/ship. But likely no need for a C-19 test nor wearing mask  .... just a guess. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/10/2020 at 10:05 AM, Tahitianbigkahuna said:

 

My guess is the next steep will require us to produce a not from out doctor in the last 10 days that we show no symptoms, checking our temperature before boarding the plane/ship. But likely no need for a C-19 test nor wearing mask  .... just a guess. 

 

With the way Covid positive tests are increasing dramatically throughout the U.S., I seriously doubt FP will be drop their rules about a negative test prior to entering. The best course for them would be to give people more time before departure for a negative test, then temp taken prior to getting on the plane and upon arrival, and then another test in FP several days after arrival. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, MrRandal said:

 

With the way Covid positive tests are increasing dramatically throughout the U.S., I seriously doubt FP will be drop their rules about a negative test prior to entering. The best course for them would be to give people more time before departure for a negative test, then temp taken prior to getting on the plane and upon arrival, and then another test in FP several days after arrival. 

 

What does make sense is if they will require a test after your there (self test)  .... why are they requiring a test 72 hours prior? Seems smarter to just give us the test prior to boarding the flight to PPT preferably at the gate. There are test where the results are known within a few minutes. 

 

Still believe the whole thing will likely change considerably this early fall.

Edited by Tahitianbigkahuna
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, Tahitianbigkahuna said:

 

 Seems smarter to just give us the test prior to boarding the flight to PPT preferably at the gate. There are test where the results are known within a few minutes. 

 

Still believe the whole thing will likely change considerably this early fall.

 

The Abbot Labs test that gives results in 15 minutes have proven to not be very accurate. Plus, one machine can only process a test every 15 minutes. You would need 75 machines and 75 lab techs at the gate to get everyone processed within an hour before boarding. And do you really want to wait till just before boarding to be told that you can or cannot get on you flight for your very expensive trip to paradise? What if you get a false positive?

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, MrRandal said:

 

The Abbot Labs test that gives results in 15 minutes have proven to not be very accurate. Plus, one machine can only process a test every 15 minutes. You would need 75 machines and 75 lab techs at the gate to get everyone processed within an hour before boarding. And do you really want to wait till just before boarding to be told that you can or cannot get on you flight for your very expensive trip to paradise? What if you get a false positive?

 

 

Dubai is a good example of a current policy that seems to work.

 

tourists visiting the country will be required to present a recent Covid-19 test negative certificate done within 96 hours of departure or undergo testing at the Dubai airport. Emirates rapid blood test was designed to provide results in as little as 10 minutes. Travelers who tested negative were cleared to fly — and provided with a clean bill of health. This is quickly becoming a common requirement for entry to many countries.

Edited by Tahitianbigkahuna
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, MrRandal said:

 

With the way Covid positive tests are increasing dramatically throughout the U.S., I seriously doubt FP will be drop their rules about a negative test prior to entering. The best course for them would be to give people more time before departure for a negative test, then temp taken prior to getting on the plane and upon arrival, and then another test in FP several days after arrival. 


This is true.  Another hitch, however, is the fact that there are still states that will not test because “I want to go to Tahiti” (or Hawai’i); Minnesota, California, by report. (I’m sure there are others that only test symptomatic individuals or contacts of known cases.)  

 

Not to terrify anyone with an upcoming trip (or get scolded, again, for drawing parallels between the islands of FP and Hawai’i) but Hawai’i is presently reconsidering it’s decision to waive the 14 day quarantine on August 1st if visitors have a negative Covid-19 test within 72 hours of departure.  The spikes on the mainland US and the fact that just waiving the quarantine for inter island travel caused our numbers to skyrocket (from the 800’s to 1135 in under a month) have everyone here weighing the economic damage against the medical risks.

Edited by Candlesmith
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Tahitianbigkahuna said:

 

Dubai is a good example of a current policy that seems to work.

 

tourists visiting the country will be required to present a recent Covid-19 test negative certificate done within 96 hours of departure or undergo testing at the Dubai airport. Emirates rapid blood test was designed to provide results in as little as 10 minutes. Travelers who tested negative were cleared to fly — and provided with a clean bill of health. This is quickly becoming a common requirement for entry to many countries.

 

Your statement is a little confusing "certificate done within 96 hours of departure or undergo testing at the Dubai airport" and "Travelers who tested negative were cleared to fly " Does Emirates have these rapid blood tests at all airports they fly out of? Or, as stated, only at Dubai airport for departing passengers? Again, do you really want to wait until you are at the gate to find out if you can fly? And let's be honest, Air Tahiti Nui is no Emirates. Many times they don't even get to park at the gate at LAX, you're shuttled to the plane on a bus.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, Tahitianbigkahuna said:

 

Dubai is a good example of a current policy that seems to work.

 

tourists visiting the country will be required to present a recent Covid-19 test negative certificate done within 96 hours of departure or undergo testing at the Dubai airport. Emirates rapid blood test was designed to provide results in as little as 10 minutes. Travelers who tested negative were cleared to fly — and provided with a clean bill of health. This is quickly becoming a common requirement for entry to many countries.


International tourists

(alarabiya.net)

Dubai will allow entry of international tourists starting from July 7.

International tourists travelling by air to Dubai must ensure they meet all requirements for entry to the UAE.

They should download the COVID-19 DXB app and register their details on it, since it facilitates easy coordination and communication with health authorities if they experience COVID-19 symptoms.

They must fill a “Health Declaration Form” before travelling to confirm they do not have any COVID-19 symptoms.

They should also ensure to have valid health insurance in order to be allowed to enter the country.

*The airline has the right to refuse boarding if passengers display any coronavirus symptoms.

International tourists must do a PCR test with a maximum validity of four days (96 hours) ahead of the date of departure.

*They will be required to show proof of not being infected with the virus on arrival at Dubai airports.

*If they cannot provide proof, they will undergo a PCR test at the airport.

All arrivals will be subject to thermal screenings. If a traveler is suspected to have coronavirus symptoms, Dubai airports have the right to re-test to ensure the tourist is free of the virus.

It is mandatory for tourists who test positive for coronavirus to register their details on the COVID-19 DXB app and isolate themselves at an institutional facility provided by the government for 14 days at their own expense.

All positive COVID-19 cases should strictly adhere to the measures outlined by the COVID-19 Command and Control Centre.

 

Actually, incoming visitors TO Dubai MUST have a PCR test within 96 hours of departure for Dubai.  If they can’t prove a negative result they THEN get a rapid test at the airport as well.
Interesting that they quarantine in a government facility at the travelers’ expense.  SMART!


Dubai doesn’t demand testing of any departing passengers.

Edited by Candlesmith
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Q&A with American Queen Voyages
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...