Macchu picchu tours

cjpj

Good question.   I want to book it for our South American cruise but I really don't want to shell out $5000 not knowing if the cruise will even happen.   I am still waiting for our Helicopter excursion money and other deposits to be refunded from our Alaskan cruise - it has been over 90 days.   Yet, I don't want to miss out on the tour.   This would be a good time for Princess to go back to allowing you to book without paying up front.   They could require payment 20 days out and that would still give them time for others to book them.

The cruise tour is nothing I would ever  consider-   it's simply NOT enough time.   My minimum is 5 days.    I've run into multiple people over the years who did take the tour-  and consistently-  not enough time ,  and too limiting for the high cost was mentioned.      I don't recall a single person  ever "recommending" it.    I've taken this cruise,   every year since 2010-  14 cruises.   🙂   Great itinerary certainly. on the ship.   

We choose to do Macchu Picchu on our own, arranging the air from the nearby intown airport In Buenos Aires PRECRUISE.   We arranged for a tour guide to pick us up at the Iguasui airport, take us to the MP national park, guide us through the park & return to the airport  back to Buenos Aires. It was easy and we did it in one long day seeing the Ar side. Others suggest staying overnight in the park. The cost was about half of what the cruise line was charging and it was easy to arrange.

Edited by dabear

6 minutes ago, dabear said:

We choose to do Macchu Picchu on our own, arranging the air from the nearby intown airport In Buenos Aires PRECRUISE.   We arranged for a tour guide to pick us up at the MP airport, take us to the  national park, guide us through the park & return to the airport  back to Buenos Aires. It was easy and we did it in one long day seeing the Ar side. Others suggest staying overnight in the park. The cost was about half of what the cruise line was charging and it was easy to arrange.

And you didn't acclimate?    Certainly not recommended.   

Reading further-  you didn't go to Macchu Picchu- which is in Peru--     you went to Iguazú Falls    I don't do this in a day trip either.   Well worth a couple days and both sides.   

IMHO, i disagree with your comment about acclimate. I spoke to others both before and after our trip  who did the one and 2 day trips. Most people spent the amount  of time that interested them.I frankly have not heard of a 5 day trip there but seeing the falls & touring the park with a guide who knew of shortcuts, etc was just fine for us & would do it again. We were advised that seeing the falls from the Ar side was better. They were spectacular.  I can't imagine what you would do for 5 days in the park, but that's your interest, not ours..We choose to spend 4 days in & around BA as well. Wonderful city.

Edited by dabear

52 minutes ago, dabear said:

IMHO, i disagree with your comment about acclimate. I spoke to others both before and after our trip  who did the one and 2 day trips. Most people spent the amount  of time that interested them.I frankly have not heard of a 5 day trip there but seeing the falls & touring the park with a guide who knew of shortcuts, etc was just fine for us & would do it again. We were advised that seeing the falls from the Ar side was better. They were spectacular.  I can't imagine what you would do for 5 days in the park, but that's your interest, not ours..We choose to spend 4 days in & around BA as well. Wonderful city.

You aren't even talking about the SAME place the OP is asking about.   You went to Igjuazu Falls.    The question is about Macchu Picchu in Peru.   

And-=    having been to both-  it is absolutely worthwhile to enjoy the Brazil side of Igiuazu Falls.      Of course on a day trip any vender is going to tell you don't need to see both.   They want to sell you the tour.   

Take a look at a map.    

40 minutes ago, compozer said:

Since we are boarding in LA,  we can't do a pre cruise tour.   And I am not sure if I would want to spend 5 days there.   The ship's tour is fine for us.   Better than nothing.

You are far better off taking the time and acclimating.    Are you aware of this necessity?    Enjoying the area at leisure is my goal.    NOT being on an overpriced marathon visit.     

Sorry, I got confused. Trying to do 2 things at the same time.We went to MP on a different land trip than the precruise trip from BA described above. We flew into Lima and then changed pl anes to go to Cusco . Went on a tour that afternoon to a nearby site (I think Olatombo sp?). We did take altitude sickness pills starting one day before the flight and were ok in Cusco. Some hotels there pipe in oxygen into the rooms and have coca leaves and tea to help with the altitude adjustment. We did some touring from Cusco including visiting the sacred valley.  I  believe Cusco is at higher altitude (over 10,000 ft ) vs MP (8,700ft).  It was a week trip including taking the  Belmond Hyrim Bingam  train to Agua Caliente. We visited MP 2 days including going there for morning sunrise before the day tourists. Amazing to see the ruins become unhidden from the clouds.! We did have a private guide the first day at MP.  Doing MP on your own would probably be difficult during a cruise & would be much better before or after a cruise.

Edited by dabear

I was not very specific  in my question. I  was enquiring about the pre or post cruise tours that are 5 or 6 days offered through the cruise line - Cruise tour,  is probably the better terminology. Anyone know about how fast these book up?

On 6/13/2020 at 2:19 PM, cjpj said:

I was not very specific  in my question. I  was enquiring about the pre or post cruise tours that are 5 or 6 days offered through the cruise line - Cruise tour,  is probably the better terminology. Anyone know about how fast these book up?

Depends where they go and itinerary-  how fast they book up-  will likely be faster if a superb itinerary-  which most of the add ons aren't.   🙂    Best to just call and inquire:?     If told some vague answer-   I'd be verifying that with a couple more calls.      

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/12/2020 at 8:29 PM, Budget Queen said:

The cruise tour is nothing I would ever  consider-   it's simply NOT enough time.   My minimum is 5 days.    I've run into multiple people over the years who did take the tour-  and consistently-  not enough time ,  and too limiting for the high cost was mentioned.      I don't recall a single person  ever "recommending" it.    I've taken this cruise,   every year since 2010-  14 cruises.   🙂   Great itinerary certainly. on the ship.   

Are you taling about the Celebrity Tour?  Do you take a five-day private  tour at the actual MP site? Do you do multi-day admission (since ticket sales are so limited now)?

Well I will be one one with a HUGE recommendation of a shiups' tour. Our Celebrity 5 day add on to MP and other highlights in the area was one of the BEST tours ever. We are generally DIYers; very, very rarely even taking ship-sponsored excursions during cruises.  We originally booked the Galapagos cruise-only portion of the trip, fully intending to find  a private provider to take us to MP. After almost a year of gathering quotes, comparing itineraries and reviews, looking at the inclusions, accommodations, itinerary and add-ons, we booked with Celebrity. We have not regreted that decision. In fact, our close friends are accompanying us back to the Galapagos next fall and I recommended the MP extension to them. 

Youur evaluation of the tours seems to come from others, but not your actual experience. I'd like to add our personal expereince. 

Yes it is expensive. From ther minute you land in Quito; you stay in the best hotels; all meals and most beverages are included; all tours are included; all transportation is included; your luggage is transferred; the guides are exceptional; optional experiences, such as the Hiram Binghma train, opera dinner, visit to a world-reknowned sculptor, etc. are included; group size is small.  I honestly can't say enough about the tour from start to finish.  When I included these things into the cost of the private tour company of interest, with exceptional reviews, it came to a bit more. The need to book transportation, and schlep luggage was another consideration.

We had no issues whatsoever with altitude. A few mentioned headaches, or feeling out of breath but no one felt bad enough to miss touring. We also felt the time allotted at the actual site of  MP was adequate.

Strange that you've never had a positive expereince relayed to you. As a travel provider who comes in contact with a pretty large number of cruisers, I've never had a single person tell me they've regretted booking the MP extension, in fact, we ran into one of  our shipmates with a private guide at MP, and she expressed that she wished she was on our tour.

I encourage everyone to do your homework, read tons of reviews, factor in all amenities and exclusions, and decide what is important to you.

2 minutes ago, sippican said:

Are you taling about the Celebrity Tour?  Do you take a five-day private  tour at the actual MP site? Do you do multi-day admission (since ticket sales are so limited now)?

Well I will be one one with a HUGE recommendation of a shiups' tour. Our Celebrity 5 day add on to MP and other highlights in the area was one of the BEST tours ever. We are generally DIYers; very, very rarely even taking ship-sponsored excursions during cruises.  We originally booked the Galapagos cruise-only portion of the trip, fully intending to find  a private provider to take us to MP. After almost a year of gathering quotes, comparing itineraries and reviews, looking at the inclusions, accommodations, itinerary and add-ons, we booked with Celebrity. We have not regreted that decision. In fact, our close friends are accompanying us back to the Galapagos next fall and I recommended the MP extension to them. 

Youur evaluation of the tours seems to come from others, but not your actual experience. I'd like to add our personal expereince. 

Yes it is expensive. From ther minute you land in Quito; you stay in the best hotels; all meals and most beverages are included; all tours are included; all transportation is included; your luggage is transferred; the guides are exceptional; optional experiences, such as the Hiram Binghma train, opera dinner, visit to a world-reknowned sculptor, etc. are included; group size is small.  I honestly can't say enough about the tour from start to finish.  When I included these things into the cost of the private tour company of interest, with exceptional reviews, it came to a bit more. The need to book transportation, and schlep luggage was another consideration.

We had no issues whatsoever with altitude. A few mentioned headaches, or feeling out of breath but no one felt bad enough to miss touring. We also felt the time allotted at the actual site of  MP was adequate.

Strange that you've never had a positive expereince relayed to you. As a travel provider who comes in contact with a pretty large number of cruisers, I've never had a single person tell me they've regretted booking the MP extension, in fact, we ran into one of  our shipmates with a private guide at MP, and she expressed that she wished she was on our tour.

I encourage everyone to do your homework, read tons of reviews, factor in all amenities and exclusions, and decide what is important to you.

Wrong assumptions.  I’m talking ONLY about the NCL 3 day add on.   And wrong again I have been there several times.   

59 minutes ago, Budget Queen said:

Wrong assumptions.  I’m talking ONLY about the NCL 3 day add on.   And wrong again I have been there several times.   

I must be having an off day; wrong  on two accounts 

Perhaps it would be helpful to the OP and other readers to clarify which ships’ tours you’ve only heard bad things about. It would also be informative to share how you facilitate your tours since you’ve gone many times and others could benefit from your experiences. 

Edited by sippican

7 hours ago, sippican said:

I must be having an off day; wrong  on two accounts 

Perhaps it would be helpful to the OP and other readers to clarify which ships’ tours you’ve only heard bad things about. It would also be informative to share how you facilitate your tours since you’ve gone many times and others could benefit from your experiences. 

My trips are spread over 15 years.    All independent.   A better resource that would be superior- could be TripAdvisor with current vendors and details.