NCL's new protocols incl. temp checks returning to ship at ports of call....if you test hot, then what?

karen3637

I know I can call NCL for an answer here, but wanted to put this on the table for everyone.  With NCL's new protocols and enhanced safety screenings, what happens if your temp is 

running high when you try to re-board the ship following a day in port?  Cabin confinement?,  Denied boarding?,  Covid19 test onboard?

• Like 3

@luvcruzing

So you’re saying the person would be left in that port?

I would imagine that the person would be isolated till a test could be done to find if the cause was serious.  I would imagine the test would have to be done by the shore authorities.   As that would take a period I could not she the ship waiting.

• Like 1

Surely the information should be disseminated by NCL as to what would happen in this case well before it happens.   Unfortunately NCL does not seem to have employed cynics to look at a situation such as this and put forward to the bean counters what must happen for safety's sake. 

The information must be known well in advance and not "prepared on the run".   Be proactive not reactive.

Edited by casofilia
  • Like 3

At the theme parks, if you scan hot, they put you in a cool down tent for ~20 minutes then scan again.

It's been hot here in Florida but all the videos I've seen from the parks, people are still scanning under the limit during the day.  Universal is requiring only one check per day for resort guests, NCL could do something similar if that works out.

I highly doubt they'll leave you in port if you scan high, totally unworkable. They'll just take you in by the other gangway to the Med Center for evaluation then quarantine.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, karen3637 said:

I know I can call NCL for an answer here, but wanted to put this on the table for everyone.  With NCL's new protocols and enhanced safety screenings, what happens if your temp is 

running high when you try to re-board the ship following a day in port?  Cabin confinement?,  Denied boarding?,  Covid19 test onboard?

I have wondered about that too...I imagine myself at the airport and having one of my hot flashes just when it is my turn.  

• Like 4

12 hours ago, karen3637 said:

No need to worry.  I was just in Vegas and zero people tested "hot" during my entire stay at the multiple resorts I visited.

Wouldn't it make more sense to check prior to leaving the ship? I would think no cruise line would want a port closed because they allowed people that are ill off for the day. Just a thought as other than on here I've heard nothing much my TA is mute.

• Like 1

If any of these scenarios being discussed were even to be considered why would anyone even want to cruise. I love cruising and have one scheduled that I haven't canceled yet. I will not cruise until the experience is just about what my last cruise was. If the new normal is not like the old normal I may never cruise again.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, vpearlkc said:

If any of these scenarios being discussed were even to be considered why would anyone even want to cruise. I love cruising and have one scheduled that I haven't canceled yet. I will not cruise until the experience is just about what my last cruise was. If the new normal is not like the old normal I may never cruise again.

This^^^ In fact if it doesn't return to norm there will be no cruise industry

• Like 1

I believe the days of "fudging" the health questionnaire are over.  If you've got a fever of over 100ºF, you'll be tested again after a cool down period.  If you still test over 100ºF, then you'll have to rely on your insurance to cover whatever medical bills and/or transport costs you'll encounter on the way to the hospital wherever you happen to be.

In short, either you're healthy, or you're not, as these things move forward.  There will be no grey areas.  If you can't/don't want to cruise under those conditions, frankly, you probably shouldn't, and would be better off waiting a year or so until the alleged COVID-19 vaccine is proved and available.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, roger001 said:

I think this is waaay too soon to conclude any specifics.  They don't have any plan that's reality yet.  

They best publish the specifics before too long if they plan on opening anytime soon.  Cruisers want to know and certainly have right to know before deciding to sail.  And they have to have a plan to get CDC authorization to sail.  

2 hours ago, vpearlkc said:

We feel exactly like you do.

85 cruises with over 1200 days on ships so our love of cruising is fairly obvious.  Had 11 booked and deposited, which is now down to 5 after cancellations (theirs and ours).  Way too many negatives in the foreseeable future (which very well may change) to have us even realistically thinking about sailing (first booking of the ones left is February).

Temperature checks everywhere.

Mask wearing requirements, perhaps.

Worries about ports barring entry.

Potential quarantines.

Reduced onboard activities due to distancing requirements.

Initially sailing largely to private islands or Caribbean.

There are so many positives to cruising but not sure how many will survive the short term.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, latebloomer56 said:

Wouldn't it make more sense to check prior to leaving the ship?

If the ship leaves the port with every passenger tested negative, then why should they test you again before leaving the ship in the next port? Where should you get infected? if everybody is healthy when entering the ship,there is no chance that they get infected during the way to the next port.

Just now, CruiseMH said:

If the ship leaves the port with every passenger tested negative, then why should they test you again before leaving the ship in the next port? Where should you get infected? if everybody is healthy when entering the ship,there is no chance that they get infected during the way to the next port.

Because you can have the disease for up to two weeks before showing symptoms.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, latebloomer56 said:

Wouldn't it make more sense to check prior to leaving the ship? I would think no cruise line would want a port closed because they allowed people that are ill off for the day. Just a thought as other than on here I've heard nothing much my TA is mute.

That makes much more sense to me.  To be honest, some sort of mandatory daily/periodic temperature testing would be optimal.  Test before entering a restaurant, the theater or leaving the ship - except for the theater, they swipe your card anyway.  Anyone not tested gets a cabin visit at some time to keep track of anyone not tested that testing period.  Fairly quick and simple, works toward keeping both the ship and the ports as healthy as possible.