Cruise Critic Community
saminina

Serenity October MIA schedule

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, labates629 said:

We also jumped on this for 10/29 - 11/12 sailing in view of the low ‘downside’ in terms of deposit. We are still waiting on a Seabourn refund for a cancelled August Alaska cruise so are a little leery of handing over the final payment to Crystal at the end of August in case this cruise gets cancelled too!

Despite that, we are excited to try Crystal and at such a great price. We chose the Seabreeze penthouse.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have the PEnthouse Suite category for the same 2 weeks. Hope to meet you on the ship. 
sheila

Edited by Bellaggio Cruisers

Sheila, I am very confident that you will love Crystal.  From what I have read, Regent and Crystal are similar enough that I am surprised more people don't do both.

Karen

16 hours ago, kent9xxx1 said:

I wonder if they can maintain the same standard as normal.  Will all the restaurants be open?  Can you sit at the bar and have a drink or they only allow maximum of 2 people there to keep social distancing rule.  How long do you have to wait to do anything.  Do you take a ticket and wait for your turn to enter the pool.  Is the pool open?  If someone somehow tested positive, will everything shut down mid cruise?

I really want to go for multiple reasons.  I have deposit I need to use, I haven't taken a vacation in the longest period since I graduated from college, I want to be where the people are, etc...  But if I go and get into the situation where everyone quarantined in their room because someone tested positive, I think I would be very upset for putting myself in this situation.  This is hard and I haven't decided what to do yet.  

All good questions.

In the press release announcing the new voyages Crystal mentioned they will be announcing soon the new changes/protocols.  I think communicating these will be very important to those who are booked on these and other cruises and for those who are considering whether or not to sail.  

I do know that they are preparing a special area on board the ship should someone come down with the virus so they are quarantined far from others.

I do hope the information is communicated soon so people know what to expect and so people can decide whether or not to cruise.  From what they said they are finalizing all of this and I am sure they want to have it all in final form before releasing it

Keith

I just wanted to add to my earlier comments that I suspect before anything can be released on the new protocols and guidelines will depend on what the CDC asks of the cruise industry so we can all speculate on what things will be like but even the cruise industry has to wait for the CDC to decide.

Keith

We decided to take the plunge for the mid October cruise. We will make the call on whether not to go right before final payment.  In the next two months we should have more data points to make an informed decision.  

6 hours ago, SusieQft said:

Sheila, I am very confident that you will love Crystal.  From what I have read, Regent and Crystal are similar enough that I am surprised more people don't do both.

Karen

Couldn't agree more. We cruise on both lines and like both for slightly different reasons. We now make the decision between Crystal and Regent based on itinerary/price/availability of accommodations we like. 

I will admit that, although I despise the Caribbean, these cruises tempted me.  I would be happy just to stay on the ship and never get off in any of the ports.  In the end, however, the situation is too uncertain and I don't think even the medical community knows enough about the trajectory of Covid 19.   I hope it's a go and a great experience for those of you who booked.

I am still hoping my January Crystal cruise will be a go 

12 minutes ago, bitob said:

I will admit that, although I despise the Caribbean, these cruises tempted me.  I would be happy just to stay on the ship and never get off in any of the ports.  In the end, however, the situation is too uncertain and I don't think even the medical community knows enough about the trajectory of Covid 19.   I hope it's a go and a great experience for those of you who booked.

I am still hoping my January Crystal cruise will be a go 

We don’t “despise” the Caribbean but we understand your sentiment.  It can be boring but beautiful at the same time.  The beautiful water and the poverty just don’t add up!  We all would love to see this tropical paradise reach it’s true potential! 

For us we just love to be onboard the Serenity and really enjoy our morning walks on the promenade deck as we enter the ports.  We will probably not even get off of the ship in some of the ports.  

The thought of being quarantined in my cabin, even if a suite on Crystal, and  allowed out once a day for an hour to exercise, is enough to keep me off of a cruise ship this year and probably next.   I am not saying its going to happen, just that it could.  Then again, my bet is that these cruises will not sail as advertised.  

45 minutes ago, cruisr said:

Then again, my bet is that these cruises will not sail as advertised.  

Our final payment date is September 13th and it should be clear by then if these cruises will proceed as scheduled.  I believe that Crystal is going to do everything possible to make it happen.  I am obviously aware that they could be canceled but we should all hope that life returns to the new normal ASAP!!

My approach is not for everyone but with 94% of the population not testing positive, the risk just isn’t enough to stop us from going on vacation trips including cruising.  

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, TRIPACIAN said:

My approach is not for everyone but with 94% of the population not testing positive, the risk just isn’t enough to stop us from going on vacation trips including cruising.  

Each to their own, but based on a US population of 330 million, that remaining 6% is almost 14 million infected people, of which a very large number will be pre-symptomatic or asymptomatic. And you only need to cross paths with one of them......... 

Edited by Roland4

3 hours ago, TRIPACIAN said:

Our final payment date is September 13th and it should be clear by then if these cruises will proceed as scheduled.  I believe that Crystal is going to do everything possible to make it happen.  I am obviously aware that they could be canceled but we should all hope that life returns to the new normal ASAP!!

I'm confused. Are you saying that 94% of the US population has been tested, and is not positive? I am then in the 6% who have not been tested and therefore don't know if I'm positive or negative.

25 minutes ago, Mahogany said:

Any symptoms?  Any potential exposures to those who have Covid?  Testing is offered throughout Florida without an appointment if you really want to know.

On 6/11/2020 at 2:10 PM, TER777 said:

If it doesn't work out for the Symphony to do its Fall European itineraries, (it's not clear yet whether Americans will allowed into Europe), then perhaps the Symphony could do US West Coast itineraries before doing a Pacific crossing for the winter SE Asia season. Many I know would prefer to go on the Symphony.

This is what a lot of us are hoping for.    We shall see.

On 6/11/2020 at 2:10 PM, TER777 said:

If it doesn't work out for the Symphony to do its Fall European itineraries, (it's not clear yet whether Americans will allowed into Europe), then perhaps the Symphony could do US West Coast itineraries before doing a Pacific crossing for the winter SE Asia season. Many I know would prefer to go on the Symphony.

This is what a lot of us are hoping for.    We shall see.

49 minutes ago, Mahogany said:

I'm confused. Are you saying that 94% of the US population has been tested, and is not positive? I am then in the 6% who have not been tested and therefore don't know if I'm positive or negative.

If you wish to be tested do so.  It only tells you where you are at that moment!  My wife and I have been tested prior to surgical procedures And that is now meaningless.  My point is that as more and more people are tested, the 94% is holding and all movement in the statistics indicates this is a fairly accurate %.

030B6434-6DF4-4152-B1C4-CEA7FB49FE42.jpeg

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, TRIPACIAN said:

My point is that as more and more people are tested, the 94% is holding and all movement in the statistics indicates this is a fairly accurate %.

Even I would like to know exactly what your point is.  Are you saying that some of the reported % positive rates for testing is around 6 %?  Also this data is not exactly reflective of the actual incidence of the disease in the community, since the data is greatly skewed.  What we need is a random sampling of the population, both in the community and in the hospitals, to get a good idea about the incidence of the disease, which has not been done except in a few cases (There is a small study that was just completed in Indiana, but unfortunately, the sampling appears not be not continuing, so we don't know what the numbers are right now.)  It is true that the overall % rate nationwide according to CDC was around 6 % (actually the most recently reported number is an increase from 6.0 % to 6.3 %), I have no idea how you are making other conclusions based on this number.  What I can tell you are the following:

1.  The % positive rate may not be the same (could be higher, could be lower) later this year.  Hopefully it would be lower eventually, but we have no idea how soon that will occur, especially in the US, where the number of active cases are still robustly increasing.

2.  Even if the % positive rate ends up being around 6 % in October/November of this year, if we account or the fact that about 45% of those testing positive will be asymptomatic (based on Indiana random testing data), there is a possibility that approximately 2.7 % of the passengers on Crystal Serenity could be infected without anyone knowing, if you think this number is "holding."

3.  I have no idea how any of this would help you predict if Crystal will cancel the Oct/Nov 2020 cruises or not.

I know this is not a scientific symposium, but I just had to speak up.

Edited by Psoque

3 minutes ago, Psoque said:

Even I would like to know exactly what your point is.  Are you saying that some of the reported % positive rates for testing is around 6 %?  It is true that the overall % rate nationwide is around 6 % (actually the most recent number is an increase from 6.0 % to 6.3 %), I have no idea how you are making other conclusions based on this number.  What I can tell you are the following:

1.  The % positive rate may not be the same (could be higher, could be lower) later this year.

2.  Even if the % positive rate ends up being around 6 % in October/November of this year, if we account or the fact that about 45% of those testing positive will be asymptomatic (based on Indiana random testing data), there is a possibility that approximately 2.7 % of the passengers on Crystal Serenity could be infected without anyone knowing, if you think this number is "holding."

3.  I have no idea how any of this would help you predict if Crystal will cancel the Oct/Nov 2020 cruises or not.

You have convinced me!  I am canceling everything and staying home.  

1 hour ago, TRIPACIAN said:

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'

-Isaac Asimov

2 hours ago, Psoque said:

Even I would like to know exactly what your point is.  Are you saying that some of the reported % positive rates for testing is around 6 %?  Also this data is not exactly reflective of the actual incidence of the disease in the community, since the data is greatly skewed.  What we need is a random sampling of the population, both in the community and in the hospitals, to get a good idea about the incidence of the disease, which has not been done except in a few cases (There is a small study that was just completed in Indiana, but unfortunately, the sampling appears not be not continuing, so we don't know what the numbers are right now.)  It is true that the overall % rate nationwide according to CDC was around 6 % (actually the most recently reported number is an increase from 6.0 % to 6.3 %), I have no idea how you are making other conclusions based on this number.  What I can tell you are the following:

1.  The % positive rate may not be the same (could be higher, could be lower) later this year.  Hopefully it would be lower eventually, but we have no idea how soon that will occur, especially in the US, where the number of active cases are still robustly increasing.

A WHO spokesperson made a statement the transmission of the virus from “asymptomatic” cases of Covid-19 rarely transmitted the infection. This was criticized and other experts noted that there was a difference between “asymptomatic” and “presymptomatic” cases when considering probability of transmission. Given the limits of our knowledge at this time, I do not think a point estimate of how many infected people could be on a particular Crystal cruise is credible.

2 hours ago, TRIPACIAN said:

Don’t feel bullied... do whatever your heart tells you!

4 minutes ago, marienbad said:

A WHO spokesperson made a statement the transmission of the virus from “asymptomatic” cases of Covid-19 rarely transmitted the infection. This was criticized and other experts noted that there was a difference between “asymptomatic” and “presymptomatic” cases when considering probability of transmission. Given the limits of our knowledge at this time, I do not think a point estimate of how many infected people could be on a particular Crystal cruise is credible.

My point is not that we CANNOT estimate that kind of number with the data we have now, even if a cruise starts back today.  Rather, my point is that the % test positive rate of 6 %, or any other number cannot be used to predict whether a cruise in October/November of this year would occur or not.

Here is what you said:

That is the statement I discussed.

Given the uncertainties of what the situation will be in October, who knows whether those cruises will sail or not. 

1 minute ago, Psoque said:

My point is not that we CANNOT estimate that kind of number with the data we have now, even if a cruise starts back today.  Rather, my point is that the % test positive rate of 6 %, or any other number cannot be used to predict whether a cruise in October/November of this year would occur or not.

I agree. We can not estimate any numbers for the fall. 
But...

Some of us are ready to start cruising again.
Some of us aren’t. 

Some of us have limited years left for cruising.

Some of us are willing to take a chance that it might be better in the fall.
Some of us aren’t 

All of us can cancel before final payment is due. 

We are adults and understand the statistics. We are capable to make our own decisions. 
We booked it and will wait and see.