Legend v Ventura

adam7392

Also posting in P&O forum

Looking at Summer 2021 Balitic cruise from UK and choice is either:

Carnival Legend 12 day out of Dover

P&O Ventura 14 day out of Southampton

Both visit same ports except Legend does Gothenburg but Ventura does Stockholm, all other ports the same just P&O have 2 extra sea days

By the time gratuities are added to Carnival prices the absolute and price per night is more expensive on Carnival but not by much.

Have previously cruised with Princess and v.happy with the experience so looking for thoughts on which experience would be best (food, entertainment etc) between Legend and Ventura and maybe which is closer to Princess.

Thanks in advance.

Legend for me. We are Gold status with Carnival so could be accused of bias. Our first cruise was on Legend in The Med about 7 years ago. We loved the food, entertainment and the fun vibe.

We did a P&O cruise last year and didn't enjoy it much, certainly not enough to book again. Too much Englishness onboard. Vast majority of passed were English and the food and entertainment catered to them. Not my cup of tea. 

Much prefer the international vibe on Carnival.

Thanks both for comments so far.  Agree with you JimmyTheSaint, though I am English, when going on hol I prefer to get away from reminders of home and have enjoyed chats with Americans, Australians and others on Princess cruises and was wondering if P&O would just be too English/British.

So far the comments on the Carnival board are more positive for Legend than the comments I am getting for the same post on the P&O board for Ventura.

On 6/14/2020 at 10:18 PM, adam7392 said:

was wondering if P&O would just be too English/British.

P&O is a British focused cruise line.  95% of pax will be Brits simple as.   They have traditionally always had "Great British Sailaways" at certain ports with lots of plastic union flags handed out to passengers for waving with accompanying music like the theme to Dambusters and so on but in recent times that has now been altered.

On 6/14/2020 at 10:18 PM, adam7392 said:

So far the comments on the Carnival board are more positive for Legend than the comments I am getting for the same post on the P&O board for Ventura.

As posted on that other board I recommend you take time out to read the various cruise reviews of Ventura from the past 3/4 year.   The last 11 reviews going back to Dec are all 1-3 stars out of 5 with just a single 5 star review among them.   Declining quality of food in the MDR is a running theme.

https://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/memberreviews/getreviews.cfm?action=ship&ShipID=383

The reviews of the Legend are somewhat higher but still reflect comments about gradual declines in quality and service.

Last 11 Ventura review star marks:   1,2,5,3,2,1,2,3,2,1,2

Last 11 Legend review star marks:   3,4,5,5,5,2,3,4,1,1,3