Has anyone received a cash refund for cancelled overseas flights?

Air Canada is refusing to give my friends a refund for cancelled business class flights, offering only a credit.  They received the deposit back for the cruise section of their trip to Alaska.  

As they are Seniors, who don't intend to travel overseas again, how can they get their money back?  I have booked them flights on Air Canada previously because I thought Air Canada was a reputable airline.  I feel bad because I recommended they fly business class on this trip, because of their age.

Their Australian TA has suggested they contact ACCC. 

Unfortunately most of the airlines appear to be doing this. 🙁 They should not be allowed to, IMHO, especially since in most cases they have had your money well in advance of the travel dates.

I was one of the lucky ones. When I phoned China Airlines after they cancelled one of our flights they said "you can get a refund, just go to our website and fill in the flight details". Furthermore the refund went through Paypal in less than 24 hours and was credited to our credit card three days later. If I ever get another chance to go to Europe I know who I'll choose to fly with, and not just because their business class fares were a couple of thousand dollars cheaper than most airlines.

Have you looked at the terms and conditions on their flight documents? FlyDubai are only offering us a credit saying their policy is no refunds but the t&c when we booked stated we could cancel ( they cancelled not us) but would incur a penalty of AED200. As ACCC have stated the t&c cannot be changed we got in touch with our bank, send them all our documents and they are taking the matter up for us.

The bank is Citibank and we paid with debit card. Wait and see how we go.

It’s been reported here that Air NZ is giving hassles as well .They will only give credits , except if your flight went to , or through the USA, where they have been forced to refund by the law  that applies there.

Another problem folk are finding is that if they accept the credit and use that credit to rebook same flight but at a later date ,the fare has almost tripled .

I had flights with Japan Air Lines to Tokyo return back in March. The cruise was on Diamond Princess was cancelled so we cancelled our flights. Our t&cs said we could cancel with a $300 cancellation fee. It was further complicated because we had to cancel through our TA. We had to wait two months but the refund finally came through in full.

We had return airfares Melbourne to Kuala Lumpur on Air Asia and return airfares Kuala Lumpur to London on Emirates, for our Norway cruise which we should be on now!! We do it this way as we like to spend a couple of days in Kuala Lumpur going there and coming home, just to break up the long haul flights. We have done this for many years now.

Emirates were terrific. They offered a full refund, or a full credit to be used within the next two years. And if the credit is not used, you get a full refund after the two years. And you can change your destination within regions. For instance, our flights were destined for London but we can change the destination to any other major city within Europe. 

Air Asia have been much harder to deal with. No matter how many requests I make, they come back with a credit only and say a refund is not going to happen. Similar to Emirates, they have given us two years to use the credit, but we lose it if we don't use it. On a brighter side, this is a much better option to their usual policy of getting airport taxes only refunded (plus cancellation fees) when cancelling a flight (me cancelling....not them). 

Singapore airlines refunded to credit card late May for flights due to take place 4th May to June 2nd.  Originally airline stated credit only,  valid for 1 year then suddenly changed policy.

Trip was to travel Trans Siberian railway.  Russian railways and a small Siberian airline also refunded to credit card but S7 airline and Accor hotel have refused refund of refundable bookings.  
 It appears refunds are hit and miss at the present time, we are awaiting Cunard to make good on a promise to refund our March 26th cruise via our Oz cruising agent.

We have not had a decision yet regarding  no excess travel insurance claim for the non refundable elements of our Trans Siberian trip but we can only hope and fight our corner as needed.

In the meantime we are hoping our end of year South America / Antarctica sail by Princess cruise goes ahead or will be replicated next year.

Stay safe and keep separated.

We were going to fly to Europe in May, but cancelled in March requesting a full refund due to not being able to fly out of Australia. Qatar Airlines took some time processing it but we finally received the full amount directly into my credit card. Very happy with Qatar's service as they kept me informed during the process.

When my flight with Peach Airline was cancelled they emailed that we could either rebook or get a full refund. We were able to take the trip so didn't use the refund option but I thought it was great that they made it so easy to get a refund and didn't offer up credit. Qantas on the other hand was a disaster, they made everything so difficult😖

I have just received a refund for my cancellation of a Qantas flight to Japan - it had a $200 per person cancellation fee taken from it. I guess that was because the cancellation that I made was very early 19th Feb ( because our May cruise from Japan had been cancelled that early ) - but at that time flights were still going to Japan. I suspect that if I had not cancelled the flight and waited for Qantas to cancel it , there may not have been a cancellation fee applied??? 

I have also recently been VERY surprised to have my TA (who booked our return flights via Honolulu with Air Canada and Hawaiian Airlines) tell us that we have been approved to receive a full refund. This was from the large TA which has received very adverse publicity recently regarding their cancellation fees. When I first went to see them about the need to cancel those flights , they said that there would be no refund as the fares were "non-refundable" so I didn't bother to cancel them.  . However they now seem to have done the right thing by me and I have received an official Registration number and told to expect to receive the money in my CC account soon.    Still - I haven't got it until I've got it so will have to wait longer to see if/when it arrives.  

58 minutes ago, bazzaw said:

I have just received a refund for my cancellation of a Qantas flight to Japan - it had a $200 per person cancellation fee taken from it. I guess that was because the cancellation that I made was very early 19th Feb ( because our May cruise from Japan had been cancelled that early ) - but at that time flights were still going to Japan. I suspect that if I had not cancelled the flight and waited for Qantas to cancel it , there may not have been a cancellation fee applied??? 

I have also recently been VERY surprised to have my TA (who booked our return flights via Honolulu with Air Canada and Hawaiian Airlines) tell us that we have been approved to receive a full refund. This was from the large TA which has received very adverse publicity recently regarding their cancellation fees. When I first went to see them about the need to cancel those flights , they said that there would be no refund as the fares were "non-refundable" so I didn't bother to cancel them.  . However they now seem to have done the right thing by me and I have received an official Registration number and told to expect to receive the money in my CC account soon.    Still - I haven't got it until I've got it so will have to wait longer to see if/when it arrives.  

Yes, I would agree that would be the reason for the cancellation fee.

That is great news re Air Canada!  I have advised my friends to keep pursuing refunds on their cancelled business class tickets with Air Canada. 

To add insult to injury, Air Canada is no longer offering direct flights from Brisbane to Vancouver, yet they want them to take a credit for a flight via Sydney!

5 hours ago, fairywren said:

We were going to fly to Europe in May, but cancelled in March requesting a full refund due to not being able to fly out of Australia. Qatar Airlines took some time processing it but we finally received the full amount directly into my credit card. Very happy with Qatar's service as they kept me informed during the process.

Good to hear.  I've flown with Qatar a few times and think Qatar is a good airline.  Pity they don't fly from Brisbane.  

17 hours ago, Bowm54 said:

Singapore airlines refunded to credit card late May for flights due to take place 4th May to June 2nd.  Originally airline stated credit only,  valid for 1 year then suddenly changed policy.

Trip was to travel Trans Siberian railway.  Russian railways and a small Siberian airline also refunded to credit card but S7 airline and Accor hotel have refused refund of refundable bookings.  
 It appears refunds are hit and miss at the present time, we are awaiting Cunard to make good on a promise to refund our March 26th cruise via our Oz cruising agent.

We have not had a decision yet regarding  no excess travel insurance claim for the non refundable elements of our Trans Siberian trip but we can only hope and fight our corner as needed.

In the meantime we are hoping our end of year South America / Antarctica sail by Princess cruise goes ahead or will be replicated next year.

Stay safe and keep separated.

Have you followed up with Accor hotel reason for them refusing a refund on a refundable booking?  I have always found Accor a good company in the past.

7 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

We have only been provided with flight credits which in my opinion may not be as good as a refund but it is better than losing it all or even losing just the processing fees.

What airline?

We are cancelling our September river cruise.

qantas was simple as flights were ff classic rewards but our return is with China eastern airlines and I have no idea how to try and get that refunded for cash.

we also have flights with klm and polish airways to try and deal with.

its like a bucket full of Christmas lights and trying to find the start.

Cancellation fee for our Qantas return flights to Vancouver/LAX was $400 each.  Steep but in t & c's and we preferred a refund of the balance of our monies than a travel credit.  Refund to cc was prompt.

Edited by aussielozzie18
additional info

Our travel agent has advised us that they have received a refund from Hawaiian Airlines for our one way Honolulu to Sydney flight booked for mid April. Unfortunately they have also advised that it will take 6 weeks to refund those funds to us.

We also have a Melbourne - LA - Vancouver flight booked for mid September with Virgin and Delta, paid with points except for the taxes and charges. I have already cancelled the cruises involved, and will certainly not be travelling to USA. I am waiting to be able to cancel without penalty. If Virgin goes under I will do a credit card chargeback for the fees and taxes paid.

10 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Good to hear.  I've flown with Qatar a few times and think Qatar is a good airline.  Pity they don't fly from Brisbane.  

Qatar's a bit iffy.

They were not going to give any refunds, but after action by the authorities a week ago have now agreed to offer it in countries where legislation requires it. If you're in a country which doesn't have consumer protection, they are not providing refunds, only credits.

13 hours ago, aussielozzie18 said:

Cancellation fee for our Qantas return flights to Vancouver/LAX was $400 each.  Steep but in t & c's and we preferred a refund of the balance of our monies than a travel credit.  Refund to cc was prompt.

I hadn't realised Qantas cancellation fees were so high.  I stopped buying overseas flights ahead when cruise lines started changing/cancelling cruises.

15 hours ago, Esilef said:

We are cancelling our September river cruise.

qantas was simple as flights were ff classic rewards but our return is with China eastern airlines and I have no idea how to try and get that refunded for cash.

we also have flights with klm and polish airways to try and deal with.

its like a bucket full of Christmas lights and trying to find the start.

Four airlines!  You certainly have a lot to deal with.  Did you book all airlines direct?

5 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Four airlines!  You certainly have a lot to deal with.  Did you book all airlines direct?

that’s the main part of the jigsaw.

river cruise was with 1 travel agent which has now been transferred to March next year.

we booked all Qantas classic rewards seats via Qantas.

we then used another travel agent to book the polish airways flights from Budapest to London and also 2 seats on the return flight from London to Melbourne via China eastern airlines.

KLM was booked directly.

plus there is accommodation that was booked that can’t be cancelled.

with the new revised plans in March we are planning on just using Qantas classic rewards seats/points. Staying in accommodation for 7 nights at a time with free cancellation. River cruise is via the same agent. If it all goes wrong again cancelling should be easy.

22 hours ago, bazzaw said:

Hi Bazzaw,

Were your flights with Hawaiian and Air Canada cancelled by the airlines? I'm asking as I have flights booked thru what sounds like the same TA (FC?). with same Airlines, Auckland to Honolulu on Hawaiian and Honolulu to Vancouver on Air Canada in August/September but I've heard nothing from TA. Any advice you can give would be welcome, thank you.