You are not sailing this year at all. Lets stop the illusion

19 minutes ago, pcakes122 said:

Great, it's not your fault so why should you feel bad that you infected them? It's their own fault!  In fact, why bother wearing masks when we go out? People know there is a risk if they leave their house. It's their own fault if they get sick!

A debate is pointless in this case. A sense of social responsibility is either something people have or they don't.

I'm not really getting this point to be honest.  I didn't think s/he was saying that it's their own fault.  Assuming nobody is doing something on purpose, It's nobody's fault really - anyone that goes onboard knows there is a potential for catching the virus.  Same as they always knew there was a potential for norovirus at any time.  So they were saying that if you catch it, you can't blame other people, as you made an informed decision to go on?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Steve, I was just wondering what you think the restart time frame will be if not this year?

I just put a deposit on a March 2021.  I think I found a good deal in among a lot of price hikes when shopping across my preferred lines.  I was hesitant to make the deposit but did it anyway...

Georgia_peaches,

I wish I had a crystal ball.  I think I would look at things before final payment.

I would see where the ports are? If the ship with prior cancellations is even where it is going to be. I would look at the ports/countries on the way to where you are getting on and going.

My above statements are based on not A-B, back to A sailings But A-B-C-D ect. Longer ones b2b2bs.

If Caribbean based,I would say when the numbers are down. South Florida has 36% of our daily cases today. No one is sailing from S,FL until that drops massively.

I would also assume that when it starts up, it will be short cruises. To be specific I think it will be to their private islands this way they do not mingle on islands. The islands are mostly all Bahamian so meets the passenger act.

I would hope it starts sooner but science and numbers do not lie. We are getting worse every day and no one cares. Lets start by mandating masks. But that may seem to be infringing on peoples rights. No one wants a shut down again, so let it run its course and see who's left is the current thinking.

Steve

• Like 1

1 hour ago, seaman11 said:

thats true however this time they would not lose the cruise fare if they did so that could help and also if not feeling well 3 days out they can cancel and get fcc, also if seen sneezing and coughing would be pulled aside and denied boarding.  sure this is only a liability waiver, but if thats what it takes to go to a 200k person rally or get onboard then ppl will do it.  it is not full proof of anyone lying i agree. 

however if you are waiting for a 100 percent guarantee you will be staying home mike for a long while. 

For me, While I’m not out there ignoring every guidance the experts give, I’m also not really worried if I did catch the virus. 42 and in good shape. No medical conditions. 

What concerns me:

- 3 year old son who spent 31 days on a ventilator from 2 months old to 3 months old with pertussis (the whooping cough) 

- wife who has had asthma her entire life 

- mother who lives with us and is 74 years old who is a survivor of a stroke and lung cancer

- being quarantined at sea for a month without a real idea when we might get home. 

that’s the thing with this virus, and with people who are willing to “risk it”. It’s not yourself that is only taking the risk...it’s everyone you come in contact with. I wouldn’t be able to live with myself if I somehow caught covid and passed it on to my son, wife or mom. And I don’t know if I would have a job if I was stuck at sea for 30 days and not able to work. 

So waiting for a 100% guarantee. Or atleast a vaccine/better understanding of the disease is the path I’m going to take. 

but again, if the cruise lines start up, and there are people willing to get on them, god bless and good luck. And I’ll be watching to see how it plays out and if it is safe enough for us to go. 

• Like 12

Hi, so I’m a first-time cruiser and recently put down a deposit to take my 6yo son on a 7-day Western Carribean on NCL Breakaway for Thanksgiving break. As a school teacher, this is the ideal time for me to travel and I thought everything was getting back on track. I was super excited because it’s a big thing for me to take a trip like this and to spend $3k.

I’ve only put down the $250 deposit so far and the final payment is due July 25th. Obviously, I’ll watch and wait, but my big concern is that if I did pay for it and it gets canceled, while I would get FCC, what if the price hikes and I’m stuck shelling out more money? Also, I don’t want my $3k being tied up while I wait for another cruise that lines up with school holidays. Should I just watch and wait, then cut my losses with the $250 deposit? How would that work? 

I realize most of y’all are avid cruisers, so please advise and be gentle with laughing at my expense for booking at a time like this [emoji4]

P.S. my son already had COVID and I somehow miraculously did not get it.

17 minutes ago, LouisiANNA said:

Hi, so I’m a first-time cruiser and recently put down a deposit to take my 6yo son on a 7-day Western Carribean on NCL Breakaway for Thanksgiving break. As a school teacher, this is the ideal time for me to travel and I thought everything was getting back on track. I was super excited because it’s a big thing for me to take a trip like this and to spend $3k.

I’ve only put down the $250 deposit so far and the final payment is due July 25th. Obviously, I’ll watch and wait, but my big concern is that if I did pay for it and it gets canceled, while I would get FCC, what if the price hikes and I’m stuck shelling out more money? Also, I don’t want my $3k being tied up while I wait for another cruise that lines up with school holidays. Should I just watch and wait, then cut my losses with the $250 deposit? How would that work? 

I realize most of y’all are avid cruisers, so please advise and be gentle with laughing at my expense for booking at a time like this emoji4.png

First of all, sorry about your son getting COVID but glad he has recovered and that you did not get it. As far as your cruise goes, as I understand it, if you wait until NCL cancels the cruise (if that's what happens), you have the option of getting a full refund or taking the FCC (with additional % amount- which as you mentioned, may not be enough if NCL jacks up their prices too much). The only thing about the refund that I've read on this board is that it can take up to 90 days to get your $$ back. If it were me, I'd get my $$ back, even if I had to wait up to 90 days.

Best of luck with whatever you decide when the time comes.

Edited by farmersfight
  • Like 1

Seaman
What 200k rally? If you are talking about Jacksonville then your numbers are wrong. The arena only holds 19,000-20,000. Are they sitting on attendees shoulders? 

We cancelled our 18 day TA ex Italy to NYC for this Oct. when it became apparent we would not have the cruise we envisioned. We're sad as it would have given us a taste of places we would probably go back to as land trip. 

First of all, sorry about your son getting COVID but glad he has recovered and that you did not get it. As far as your cruise goes, as I understand it, if you wait until NCL cancels the cruise (if that's what happens), you have the option of getting a full refund or taking the FCC (with additional % amount- which as you mentioned, may not be enough if NCL jacks up their prices too much). The only thing about the refund that I've read on this board is that it can take up to 90 days to get your $$ back. If it were me, I'd get my $$ back, even if I had to wait up to 90 days.

Best of luck with whatever you decide when the time comes.

Thank you so much for your advice and insight!

4 hours ago, podgeandrodge said:

I'm not really getting this point to be honest.  I didn't think s/he was saying that it's their own fault.  Assuming nobody is doing something on purpose, It's nobody's fault really - anyone that goes onboard knows there is a potential for catching the virus.  Same as they always knew there was a potential for norovirus at any time.  So they were saying that if you catch it, you can't blame other people, as you made an informed decision to go on?

Have you read from the beginning of the discussion?

My original post was in response to different poster who said they were ready to cruise and would be willing to "take the risk."  I pointed out that when you get on onboard a cruise ship you are not only taking that risk for yourself, but you are potentially risking others ( because you may be an asymptomatic carrier of the virus.) @Sverigecruiser jumped into the discussion to say that everyone getting onboard "took the risk", implying that there is no reason to consider others when you are deciding whether or not to cruise.  The argument had nothing at all do with blaming someone if you should get sick on a cruise (after-the-fact.), but rather whether or not you should consider that you might get someone else sick when you are actually make the decision to go (before-the-fact.)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MrMike45 said:

For me, While I’m not out there ignoring every guidance the experts give, I’m also not really worried if I did catch the virus. 42 and in good shape. No medical conditions. 

What concerns me:

- 3 year old son who spent 31 days on a ventilator from 2 months old to 3 months old with pertussis (the whooping cough) 

- wife who has had asthma her entire life 

- mother who lives with us and is 74 years old who is a survivor of a stroke and lung cancer

- being quarantined at sea for a month without a real idea when we might get home. 

that’s the thing with this virus, and with people who are willing to “risk it”. It’s not yourself that is only taking the risk...it’s everyone you come in contact with. I wouldn’t be able to live with myself if I somehow caught covid and passed it on to my son, wife or mom. And I don’t know if I would have a job if I was stuck at sea for 30 days and not able to work. 

So waiting for a 100% guarantee. Or atleast a vaccine/better understanding of the disease is the path I’m going to take. 

but again, if the cruise lines start up, and there are people willing to get on them, god bless and good luck. And I’ll be watching to see how it plays out and if it is safe enough for us to go. 

If one has those risks, they shouldn't go (my father is one). that is a personal choice, and i understand and respect that,  i dont think you will ever get a 100 percent guarantee , even with a vaccine (which i personally wouldn't trust).  you will either have to take some risk or never go again. 

The issue i have is like the lady i encountered at the beach, if she has high risk factors, why is she there and now?  even if all wore a mask there is no guarantee she would be free from contracting  it. 

1 hour ago, 2bthere said:

Seaman
What 200k rally? If you are talking about Jacksonville then your numbers are wrong. The arena only holds 19,000-20,000. Are they sitting on attendees shoulders? 

We cancelled our 18 day TA ex Italy to NYC for this Oct. when it became apparent we would not have the cruise we envisioned. We're sad as it would have given us a taste of places we would probably go back to as land trip. 

no oklahoma at least 200k maybe more will gather . 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/andrewsolender/2020/06/14/trump-campaign-manager-says-800000-registered-for-tickets-to-tulsa-rallybut-the-venue-only-seats-19200/#713248332e44

"Rally in Tulsa is hottest ticket ever!" he posted. "Over 200K tickets already & it’s not even political season. Looking at a 2nd event in town to get more people to be w/  Gonna be GREAT in the most open state in nation! Register."

Edited by seaman11

8 minutes ago, ISLABONITA said:

People are clueless... sigh.. no amount of explanation will help..narrow minded thinking they are invincible to the virus.. 

yeah , even if its only 20,000 ppl that is way more than any first ships will have on board. and that would be in 2 months at the earliest , this event is in 5- 6 days. 

• Like 1

Not everyone is high risk. 

I am 55 years old and willing to take the risk(or not-   up till now, it's been my choice). 

I won't drag my high-risk parents along with me,  or anyone else who doesn't want to take the risk. 

I am not "clueless". 

I'm an adult and I want to make my own choices.  Nothing in life is 100% safe, and this year's Covid-19 vaccine won't necessarily protect from Covid-21 or -33 or Ebola-22 or Mers-24, or anything else that comes along. Viruses are always dangerous for high-risk people.  Always have been. New viruses even more so.

Stay home if you wish, and I promise to stay away from you for a couple weeks when I return.

That said, when cruising starts, I will be there with bells on.  This is a cruise board and I want to cruise.

I won't make you join me.

• Like 8

30 minutes ago, ukbecky said:

Not everyone is high risk. 

I am 55 years old and willing to take the risk(or not-   up till now, it's been my choice). 

I won't drag my high-risk parents along with me,  or anyone else who doesn't want to take the risk. 

I am not "clueless". 

I'm an adult and I want to make my own choices.  Nothing in life is 100% safe, and this year's Covid-19 vaccine won't necessarily protect from Covid-21 or -33 or Ebola-22 or Mers-24, or anything else that comes along. Viruses are always dangerous for high-risk people.  Always have been. New viruses even more so.

Stay home if you wish, and I promise to stay away from you for a couple weeks when I return.

That said, when cruising starts, I will be there with bells on.  This is a cruise board and I want to cruise.

I won't make you join me.

just out of curiosity, when you return, you will be quarantining yourself for 14 days or more from ANYONE that would be at risk? your parents, children, neighbors. You wont go to the store or anywhere for 14 days so you don't give it to others and cause a spike that will need contact tracing to determine? I hope this is the case because its not about you. its about everyone that you would encounter. Are you willing to risk others health?

• Like 6

8 hours ago, pcakes122 said:

Great, it's not your fault so why should you feel bad that you infected them? It's their own fault!  In fact, why bother wearing masks when we go out? People know there is a risk if they leave their house. It's their own fault if they get sick!

A debate is pointless in this case. A sense of social responsibility is either something people have or they don't.

A agree that a debate is pointless.

We are obviously not discussing the same thing.

You are discussing sense of social responsibility which I have lots of.

I am discussing the fact that some people are prepared to take responsibilities for their ections while other people rather blame other for their mistakes.

If I take the risk and go on a cruise and you infect me with something I shouldn't blame you, I should blame myself for taking the risk.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sverigecruiser said:

A agree that a debate is pointless.

We are obviously not discussing the same thing.

You are discussing sense of social responsibility which I have lots of.

I am discussing the fact that some people are prepared to take responsibilities for their ections while other people rather blame other for their mistakes.

If I take the risk and go on a cruise and you infect me with something I shouldn't blame you, I should blame myself for taking the risk.  

We are definitely talking about two different things because you are focused on blame and I'm not talking about blame at all.  

I am 10000% certain that I infected at least one person --  if not many -- on my Bliss cruise in March. The point is not whether or not they blame me for making them sick (or worse.) The point is that I blame myself because when I decided to "take the risk" to cruise that week I did not even think about the impact on other passengers should I get sick.  Granted, I didn't contract the virus until I got on the ship, but that even strengthens my point. If by some chance I had it before I got on the ship, I was completely asymptomatic and passed the temperature check with no problem.  

Now that we are more fully aware of the risks, I would never do that again. Not just because I don't want to go another round with this virus (I don't), but because I don't want to put other people at risk should I get sick.  Whether they would blame me or not is irrelevant.

• Like 2

Its interesting how poorly the USA (and UK for that matter!) is handling this. Lets look at some recent data.

China had a sudden hotspot 49 cases in a Beijing suburb and now its completely locked down across 11+ neighborhoods.

Meanwhile in the USA Georgia yesterday had 1,018 new cases, Florida 2,625 new cases, Texas 2,262 new cases. In one day.

And. Nothing. Changes.

Play this inaction forward another 1-2 months and you think USA citizens are going to be allowed to travel anywhere at all on planet earth?

• Like 4

This conversation just goes round and round and round. I am stopping this notification on this thread as I need to get on with my life. There is nothing new on this thread except more gloom and doom.  Just like every TV station. You all have said everything there is to say on this subject. Move on.  I am.

• Like 1

Latest from CDC is they don't want British tourists in the USA this summer:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/finance/markets/don-e2-80-99t-plan-on-summer-holidays-in-us-fauci-tells-the-british/ar-BB15tp7R

Highly likely the same will become true for those from the USA travelling abroad given the huge daily increases in cases across many US States.

Edited by pmd98052

11 hours ago, LouisiANNA said:

I realize most of y’all are avid cruisers, so please advise and be gentle with laughing at my expense for booking at a time like this emoji4.png

We watch prices closely, and on average, NCL has jacked prices.  Also see GP post 98.

Of all the cruise lines, I'd just lose the $250 VS risk of putting more money at risk IMO.

27 minutes ago, dexddd said:

I’ve only put down the $250 deposit so far and the final payment is due July 25th

We had a similar situation (booked with a big store travel agent) and cancelled before final payment back in early April (for an Aug 15th cruise) -  We got the $200 deposit back.

The one faction that no one seems to have mentioned is the Crew.  They out of necessity need these jobs to support not only themselves, but often families at home.  

So, do we have the right to demand that cruises resume only to put these people at risk?

I for one would agree that if you cruise, you take your chances.  However,  I find it disturbing that we feel we have the right to put others lives (and livelihoods) at risk for our own pleasures.

JMHO.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, LouisiANNA said:

The deposit should be refundable before final payment at 120 days prior.    This date won’t indicate any predictability.    

Each cruise, of course is priced. Individually.  You need to go prime time due to your schedule.    Are you stretching funds and would need this money if you didn’t go?   Question to ask-  yourself.       Are nonrefundable transportation costs involved?      would there be any hardship?

On the other side- could be a benefit to pay and keep the booking.    You will either go or could get back a FCC bonus.    

On 6/13/2020 at 9:38 AM, mscdivina2016 said:

So the CDC meeting was yesterday.

What came out of it? Red light, yellow light, and green light protocols.

Florida, where I live has now had several of the all time new cases in the last week. We are surging in new cases thanks to easing.

Miami Dade is the biggest hot spot here. So tens of thousands are not flying in.

The travel industry is afraid and they keep up the hype.

If they said tomorrow.....all cruises cancelled til 2021, what would happen?

Millions of people would cancel now, take the cash and gut the cruise companies.

They would lay off many. The stocks would drop.

The only reason they keep pushing it off a little at a time is to keep cash coming in. You keep booking, and they wait until after final payment to cancel. Then you have a weeks window to request a cash refund,then take 90 days to refund you.

The big question that is not answered by any cruise line is......What if you get a case onboard again?............

Until they can answer that you are not sailing. Remember Diamond Princess.

A few weeks ago I was caught up in it, booking for May and June after I had my Spirit cruise cancelled a few months back. Sadly I have $20,000 in FCC now thanks to the Jewel being cancelled for early 2021.

Rates are real high as they try and offset the FCC given out. I think now the best bet once cruising starts is to book last minute.

Done venting!

Steve

I can't stand these doom and gloom posts. Florida, where I live, is NOT surging. They have increased testing. The hospitals are flippin' empty!

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, CruisingSince1982 said:

Florida, where I live, is NOT surging. They have increased testing. The hospitals are flippin' empty!

The case numbers exceed just that of the increased testing.

You realize Beijing had 49 cases and shut down large parts of the city. Florida has had 2,600+ just yesterday. One day.

Can you use your imagination to imagine what that means and what the cost of it will be? Even lets pretend all those 2,600 new cases in ONE DAY are from the increased testing. Think long about what that actually means given Florida's inaction on it.

Hint: It doesn't help those of us who want to cruise again.

• Like 3