Jump to content

Have you been charged by a TA for a cancelled cruise?


Recommended Posts

I've already had two cruises cancelled by NCL and Carnival with my regular TA and they did not charge me anything.  But back in October I was "dazzled" with the amount of OBC a big online TA was offering plus additional OBC for Halloween so I booked a cruise with them for January, 2021.  They did send me some paperwork to sign and if I cancelled there would be a charge.  I have never cancelled a cruise before so thought this was a moot point.

 

Now with all the cancellations being extended month by month I'm not sure if I want to send in final payment by August.  (NCL says September but they want it by August.)  I want to see if any sailings start and if any get infected by corona.  Do you think I will be charged if I cancel before final payment and/or if NCL cancels this sailing?  This is not me just changing my mind.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, EllieinNJ said:

I've already had two cruises cancelled by NCL and Carnival with my regular TA and they did not charge me anything.  But back in October I was "dazzled" with the amount of OBC a big online TA was offering plus additional OBC for Halloween so I booked a cruise with them for January, 2021.  They did send me some paperwork to sign and if I cancelled there would be a charge.  I have never cancelled a cruise before so thought this was a moot point.

 

Now with all the cancellations being extended month by month I'm not sure if I want to send in final payment by August.  (NCL says September but they want it by August.)  I want to see if any sailings start and if any get infected by corona.  Do you think I will be charged if I cancel before final payment and/or if NCL cancels this sailing?  This is not me just changing my mind.

Absolutely you will be charged it, if YOU cancel.   Not sure why you think the vendor won'r ?  YOU agreed to it wilt your booking and currently -certainly know your details.   

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, roger001 said:

23 completed bookings with the same TA company and same TA.  Have cancelled maybe 5 additional times.  Never charged any fee.   

BUT-  your AGENCY didn't charge any fee for you to, even be charged.       The agency the op booked with DID have fees,   as do some booking agents.   

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, roger001 said:

23 completed bookings with the same TA company and same TA.  Have cancelled maybe 5 additional times.  Never charged any fee.   


Really not relevant to the OP’s question, unless the two of you use the same TA with the same written agreement as to the charging of fees in the event the client cancels. 
 

Some TAs charge a fee if the client cancels, some don’t. 
 

Frankly, as noted above, no one can answer the OP’s question, because we don’t have “the paperwork” she signed.  But best guess is that if she agreed to pay a cancellation fee if she cancelled, then she’ll be on the hook for that fee.  Might the TA waive the fee if she books something else? Maybe, I’ve heard of that happening. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Our TA did not charge a fee for the May cruise canceled by NCL.  However we canceled our August cruise to Alaska right before final payment.  They notified us that they would charge $100 per person which would remain as a credit if we booked another cruise within 3 months which we did.  So no charges but the terms and conditions say yes they can charge us for cancellations.

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:


Really not relevant to the OP’s question, unless the two of you use the same TA with the same written agreement as to the charging of fees in the event the client cancels. 
 

Some TAs charge a fee if the client cancels, some don’t. 
 

Frankly, as noted above, no one can answer the OP’s question, because we don’t have “the paperwork” she signed.  But best guess is that if she agreed to pay a cancellation fee if she cancelled, then she’ll be on the hook for that fee.  Might the TA waive the fee if she books something else? Maybe, I’ve heard of that happening. 

Well...actually here is the question she asked verbatim.  And I answered her question verbatim.  Beyond that, the OP can digest it or not as her situation applies.  

Have you been charged by a TA for a cancelled cruise?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, roger001 said:

23 completed bookings with the same TA company and same TA.  Have cancelled maybe 5 additional times.  Never charged any fee.   

Did you happen to book with the same TA as Ellison? Perhaps not. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, roger001 said:

Well...actually here is the question she asked verbatim.  And I answered her question verbatim.  Beyond that, the OP can digest it or not as her situation applies.  

Have you been charged by a TA for a cancelled cruise?

 

That's her summary thread title.  Her post explains her specific circumstances with her TA, says she agreed to pay a cancellation fee if she cancelled, and then asks, "verbatim"

 

6 hours ago, EllieinNJ said:

Do you think I will be charged if I cancel before final payment and/or if NCL cancels this sailing? 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, hoopslover said:

Our TA did not charge a fee for the May cruise canceled by NCL.  However we canceled our August cruise to Alaska right before final payment.  They notified us that they would charge $100 per person which would remain as a credit if we booked another cruise within 3 months which we did.  So no charges but the terms and conditions say yes they can charge us for cancellations.

Thank you for giving me the answer I needed.  Now I do remember them saying if I booked a new cruise they waive the fee.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I always book with the same online TA. Their terms state that they may charge a cancellation fee, but I have cancelled 3 or 4 cruises with them over the years and have never been charged.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Right now, there are all sorts of postings on various internet travel forums (not necessarily Cruise Critic) where travelers are furious that the company they used to to book flights, cruises, vacation packages, etc. are being charged a fee to process a cancellation.  It is not an uncommon fee for SOME online travel agencies/booking agents/etc.  It is not a common fee with travel agencies that offer a more personal one-on-one business model.  But for those that largely use a call center to process transactions, it's not unheard of.  One needs to read the terms and conditions presented to them at the time of purchase and factor that into the purchasing decision.  I would not expect a company that has the cancellation fee model to forego it, even with the current extenuating circumstances.  I would ask for it to be waived, but I would not expect it to be.

Edited by MeHeartCruising
Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, electro said:

I always book with the same online TA. Their terms state that they may charge a cancellation fee, but I have cancelled 3 or 4 cruises with them over the years and have never been charged.

And you expect this “exception “-  to continue forever and always apply to you?   These were all simply cancellations ?    No rebooking involved?   
 

Bottom line are the terms,  not the exceptions.    

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, electro said:

I always book with the same online TA. Their terms state that they may charge a cancellation fee, but I have cancelled 3 or 4 cruises with them over the years and have never been charged.

2 hours ago, Budget Queen said:

And you expect this “exception “-  to continue forever and always apply to you?   These were all simply cancellations ?    No rebooking involved?   
 

Bottom line are the terms,  not the exceptions.    

Where did you read that I expected it to continue forever and always apply to me? Don't put words in my mouth!

 

The OP asked a question and I gave my experience. Maybe she uses the same TA.

Yes they were simply cancellations, no rebooking at the time.

 

I don't think this TA usually charges a cancelling fee, they put it in their terms as a CYA so to speak, somewhat like the cruise lines put in their contract that they can change a fuel surcharge. They may apply the charge if someone continually books several cruises and cancels most or all of them.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: American Queen Steamboat Company - Celebrate Your Freedom
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com - June 2021
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...