Cruise Critic Community
wishIweretravelling

August and September Cruises Waitlisted

I admire what Alaska is doing.  IMHO, if everyone in the U.S. paid attention to and adhered to protocols, there would be no need for Alaska to put these rules in place (and Canada would likely have opened their borders by now - at least for visitors arriving by car).  When our state was doing extremely well in terms of handling Covid-19, there was concern that people from other states would drive here and spread the virus.  As it happens, it is the people in our state that either do not believe that the virus is real, do not care whether it is or not and refuse to social distance or wear a mask that is causing our numbers to go up.

At this point, until/unless this country gets their act together, we will be banned from cruising to many countries.  While I still believe that there will be some cruises in 2020, if we keep going in the direction that we're going, no one will want us.

Note:  None of this is meant as a political comment.  In case of an extreme emergency, every single person that lives in the U.S. needs to work together to win the battle over Covid-19.  If we do not, we will continue to be in the same mess that we are  currently in.   There was a poster on the Regent Facebook that stated that they would not get the vaccine for Covid when it comes out.  They went on to say that they are not selfish and are responsible for their own health - no one else's.  Hard to believe that anyone could really feel this way.

5 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

In case of an extreme emergency, every single person that lives in the U.S. needs to work together to win the battle over Covid-19.  If we do not, we will continue to be in the same mess that we are  currently in.   

The planets must be aligned again because I totally agree with you on this comment. 😄

Here in Austin, TX we are at all time highs for new daily COVID cases and the hospital bed utilization keeps going up every day as well. More than 50% of the new cases are people under 30, many of them aren't taking any precautions. The one's who get hospitalized now understand that this is serious and the one's that have mild symptoms just don't seem to give a darn and they don't understand that they will spread the disease even more, maybe even to their parents and grandparents. A couple of weeks ago I had hope that we turned the corner and were slowly on a path to the new normal. I don't feel that way this week and I see so many people ignoring the basic preventive measures such as masks and social distancing. We can all forget about cruising anytime soon if this trajectory continues.

8 hours ago, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

We just cancelled our annual fishing trip to Canada. The Lodge phoned us regarding the border closing until July 26th. They are shutting down for most of the season. 
They will keep our deposit, apply to 2021 booking at same as 2020 rates plus a 10% added to our deposit. 
Everyone wants to hold you over to next year... we accepted the deal. 
sheila

Sorry Sheila, I know how much you enjoy it.  I'm at my cottage right now, enjoying the woods for the first time this season.  Only a single week, but still.  I'm also with my son, whom I haven't seen up close since last fall when we left for Florida.

Take care, and be well.

11 minutes ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Sorry Sheila, I know how much you enjoy it.  I'm at my cottage right now, enjoying the woods for the first time this season.  Only a single week, but still.  I'm also with my son, whom I haven't seen up close since last fall when we left for Florida.

Take care, and be well.

Hi Wendy
We love it up there in Loughborough, Ontario. Been going there many years. We meet our fishing friends from Toronto there. 
Thanks for your good wishes. 
sheila

Evidently Spain has banned all cruise ships indefinitely. They may be welcoming some other tourists, but they do not want cruise ships visiting their shores. Not certain how long this will last, but no cruise company is going to plan on visiting Spain anytime soon. They would just be guessing that they might be able to dock there. you cannot operate a business under those conditions.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/cruises/news/travel-to-spain-again-cruise-ships-banned/#:~:text=The ban on cruise ships,19 is kept under control.